PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox (31-25) at Yankees (32-22)

RedSoxtober
06-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Game 1: Pomeranz (5-3, 4.24) vs Tanaka (5-5, 6.34)
Game 2: Porcello (3-7, 4.24) vs Sabathia (6-2, 4.12)
Game 3: Price (1-0, 3.00) vs Pineda (6-3, 3.76)

----

After his last start, Farrell and Pomeranz discussed the pitcher's increased use of his cutter as one reason for the positive results.

"He's thrown a few more cutters, a couple of changeups mixed in, so where he might have become so predictable with the two-pitch mix, the cutter and occasional changeup has given him a different look to some hitters and slowing some guys down," Farrell said.

But pitching coach Carl Willis said there's been another change Pomeranz has implemented over the last few starts.

The lefty has moved closer to the third-base bag on the rubber, altering the view of his release point.

"It's given him a more direct line with his release point and he's seeing good results from it two starts in," Willis said of the move on the mound.

Willis admitted the cutter has certainly helped even though Pomeranz was hesitant to throw it early in the season given the stress it puts on his forearm.

"I think it was a fine line because of him trying to get physically ready to compete and not wanting to push that pitch," Willis said. "It's the last pitch in his arsenal, it's the newest pitch for him, and a pitch he felt maybe led to some of his problems with the forearm.

"We talked about it a lot earlier in the year but it had to be a time where he was really comfortable using it," Willis said. "I think particulary you see him getting in counts and hitters are anticipating the curveball and he throws that cutter and it's definitely a surprise to them and it's really helping."

The seven innings Pomeranz tossed on Wednesday marked just the second time in his Red Sox career that he'd managed consecutive starts of six or more innings.MassLive.com

RedSoxtober
06-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Dustin Pedroia appears on track to return to the Red Sox from the disabled list when hes first eligible to do so on Friday, writes Peter Abraham.

Carson Smith is nearing a landmark test, as the reliever will throw live batting practice against Red Sox hitters during the upcoming series in Yankee Stadium. If all goes well, Evan Drellich of CSNNE.com writes, Smith could start a minor league rehab assignment as soon as this week.Speier

j-bay
06-05-2017, 10:20 PM
We only get one win. Porcello wins game 2. Tanaka likes to turn a switch against us even if he is having a bad year. And Price sucks against the Yankees.

RedSoxtober
06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
14-10, 4.55 (Price vs NYY) may not look great but it's probably above average for a SP against NYY over the last 9 years. Fingers (and toes) crossed.

Soxfan85
06-06-2017, 10:10 PM
New Red Sox record: 104 mph from Kelly (fouled off by Judge)

bradfo

Pittz
06-07-2017, 08:01 AM
I honestly can't believe Pomeranz got through 5.

Also, I think I heard 22 times last night the count went to 3-2 (both teams combined). That's a bit absurd.

The Allen
06-07-2017, 01:04 PM
A few Craig Kimbrel notes.

His SO/9 this year so far is 17.9, which is the highest all time.

He has more 276 more Ks than baserunners allowed, biggest differential in history

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RedSoxtober
06-07-2017, 05:27 PM
bradfo

I think that the official report on it was 102.2 MPH. Still might be the all time record for a Red Sox pitcher.

Soxfan85
06-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Porcello going back to his performance from 15'. I guess 16' was a fluke year.

Soxfan85
06-07-2017, 08:33 PM
4th time this season Rick Porcello has allowed 5 runs in a game... he did that 3 times all of last season.

ESPNStatsInfo

Pittz
06-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Dominated by CC :sigh:

Soxfan85
06-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Well on the bright side we have somewhat easy schedule coming up.

Bosston
06-09-2017, 09:10 AM
This series was tough to watch, especially living in the tri state area. The Yankees are only going to get better and have studs waiting to be called up. A bunch of kids getting paid peanuts for a few years means they'll be able to add through free agency (Machado, Harper)... meanwhile the Sox will be stuck with Price (no way hes opting out) and an offense that can't score. I try to stay as positive as possible but this series makes it tough to do so.

RedSoxtober
06-09-2017, 10:07 PM
This series was tough to watch, especially living in the tri state area. The Yankees are only going to get better and have studs waiting to be called up. A bunch of kids getting paid peanuts for a few years means they'll be able to add through free agency (Machado, Harper)... meanwhile the Sox will be stuck with Price (no way hes opting out) and an offense that can't score. I try to stay as positive as possible but this series makes it tough to do so.

It's almost comical to read this given the way you defend all the DD deals.