PDA

View Full Version : Your franchise's alternate universe

j-bay
06-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Saw this on NFL's N if L

For the Wizards- Lets say that the Wizards had kept Chris Webber despite all the legal trouble. Well Webber turns around, and the Wizards slightly improve making it to ECF Semis the next three years. By the way in this universe, Juwan Howard also stays because the Wizards rebuild never happens. By 1999-2000 MJ still becomes VP, and by 2001 returns to the team, not because the attendance or team is bad like in real life, but the the fact they could use someone to get over the hump. Also coming out of retirement is Charles Barkley. In the real timeline Jordan called Barkley to comeback and play with the Wizards alongside him. But it didn't happen. But with Webber, Barkley accepts. By the way before we go any further Rip Hamilton and Kwame Brown on the Wizards never happened. With the Wizards making the playoffs everytime in this universe, they are not high enough to draft. So the Wizards that year get to ECF, where they lose to the NJ Nets after Rod Strickland gets manhandled by a red hot Jason Kidd. The Next offseason the moves are pretty much the same except for one. The Wizards bring in Larry Hughes to replace the aging Rod Strickland and also brings in Byron Russell. The change is because the have Barkley, then Charles Oakley never becomes a Wizard. The Wizards beat the Nets in the ECF this time but lose to the Lakers in the Finals. Barkley retires. Now heres a kicker. Remember when i said Juwan Howard stays. Well his 7 year contract, 105M is off the books we will get to that in a second. In this universe Jordan stays two more years. Jordan comes back off his finals lost sour, and wants one more shot at the title. They lose in the ECSF. Just as MJ is about to hang them up, he gets a phone call from someone who convinces him to come back for one more year. Kobe Bryant. In real life had Jordan still been part of the Wizards staff that 2004 FA year, Kobe would most likely be a Wizard. So in this universe, Kobe leaves LA for DC while Shaq stays in LA as the face of thr franchise. DC returns to the finals where the Wizards beat the Spurs. Jordan retires, Webber stays for a few more years, and Kobe wins 2 more championships as a Wizard, retiries as a Wizard.

So what is your guys what if

hugepatsfan
06-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Celtics get #1 or #2 in 2007. People say Ainge was enamored with Durant and would have taken him even over Oden though IDK if I buy that - having Al Jeff makes me think possibly.

No way they trade that pick for Ray Allen but could they have gotten KG to come? Probably not since he refused and extension until the Ray trade. So do they keep Pierce and then have a mentor-mentee relationship with KD? Pierce still had like 5 years left so by the end of that window maybe they compete. Or do they trade Pierce and go heavy on young talent? A lot of what ifs there. Does KG end up in PHX and change their perception? Does Lebron end up leaving to Miami if the BOS big 3 didn't make things tough for him?

papipapsmanny
06-01-2017, 08:58 PM
That Wizards team should have traded picks and players not named Webber/Howard for a legit shooting guard, that team had poor 3 point shooters.

They had a foundation and played the Bulls tough, lost by one in game 3 and by 4 or 5 in the game MJ went for 55 points

FOXHOUND
06-01-2017, 09:12 PM
James Dolan doesn't own the Knicks...

Quinnsanity
06-02-2017, 02:21 AM
Celtics get #1 or #2 in 2007. People say Ainge was enamored with Durant and would have taken him even over Oden though IDK if I buy that - having Al Jeff makes me think possibly.

No way they trade that pick for Ray Allen but could they have gotten KG to come? Probably not since he refused and extension until the Ray trade. So do they keep Pierce and then have a mentor-mentee relationship with KD? Pierce still had like 5 years left so by the end of that window maybe they compete. Or do they trade Pierce and go heavy on young talent? A lot of what ifs there. Does KG end up in PHX and change their perception? Does Lebron end up leaving to Miami if the BOS big 3 didn't make things tough for him?

More interesting one to me is what if Paul Pierce hadn't squashed the trade Danny arranged to send him to Portland for Chris Paul. What could the Celts have built with CP3, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson and the rest of their youngsters?

I'll throw out a bunch more. I've written about like 100 of these over the years, NFL here (https://thesportspost.com/?s=Sam+Quinn+What+If), a bunch of my NBA ones here (https://thesportspost.com/author/sam-quinn/page/6/), but you'll have to go back a few pages to find the rest. I ****ing love What If's.

- What if Toronto (Jonas Valanciunas), Washington (Bradley Beal) or Golden State (Klay Thompson) had traded for James Harden when they had the chance?

- What if Cleveland had gotten Amar'e Stoudemire at the 2010 deadline?

- What if Stan Van Gundy had taken the Golden State job?

- What if Indiana had just kept Kawhi Leonard?

- What if Steph Curry fell to the Knicks (and make no mistake, he wanted to come, he refused workouts with Memphis and Golden State to try to make it happen)?

- What if Houston had signed Chris Bosh in 2014?

- What if Dallas had kept the 2011 title team together?

- What if Dallas would've given up Dirk for Shaq in 2004? Would Miami have relented and offered Wade?

- What if T-Mac stayed in Toronto? Or signed with Chicago in 2000?

- What if Duncan goes to Orlando in 2000?

- What if Harrison Barnes chose New Orleans last summer? Could they be a contender next season with Cousins in tow?

- What if the Knicks hadn't stupidly won two late season games in 2015 and therefore won the lottery for KAT instead of getting Porzingis?

- What if Al Horford chose Washington last summer? Or OKC?

- What happens to Kevin Love if LeBron stays in Miami?

- What if Sacramento kept Isaiah Thomas?

I could go on and on and on. I love these.

KnickNyKnick
06-03-2017, 01:07 AM
Patrick Ewing Doesn't go down before the Finals in 99, Knicks beat the spurs in 7 Games.

John Starks hits That final shot Game 6 of the 94 finals.

Best i could think of.

PowerHouse
06-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Im just blown away that somebody has enough time in their day to think up all that.

MJNetsIsles
06-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Brooklyn Nets never trade with the Celtics for old KG and Pierce and have the first pick in the draft where they start building a dynasty around Damian Lillard who was taken with the Gerald Wallace trade.

warfelg
06-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Alternative history for the Sixers:

In 2010 we beat the odds and jumped from 6 to 2 in the lottery (behind the Wizards going from 5 to 1).

What if we didn't draft Evan Turner, who is a bust at the #2 overall pick. At the time there was no doubt that we would take All-American Evan Turner, and we would be set at the 1-3 for years with Jru-ET-Iggy.

Now at the time there was talk about dropping down a few slots in order to unload Samuel Dalembert or Elton Brand. There was heavy interest in DeMarcus Cousins and Derrick Favors. In this case I think that Cousins would have been the choice because Doug Collins was our coach at the time and he isn't too keen on developing players.

So lets say at the time we made a move, and traded Samuel Dalembert and #2 to Minnesota for Darko Milicic and 4. So Minnesota would have gotten help at the C position, and could have taken ET if they wanted (considering they took Wesley Johnson I think they would have).

Then at 4 we could have taken whoever the Nets did not take at the time.

So that means after the 2010 NBA draft the Sixers take DeMarcus Cousins, and saved $8mil in the process. It doesn't get us under the cap, but (about $2mil shy of it) at this point we would likely be doing what it took to unload Brand. Looks like Phoenix was willing to take a salary dump that year, so I would have sent out Brand, and an at the time youngish and promising Lou Williams for Leandro Barbosa.

That move would have gotten us under the cap by roughly $12mil. Now that isn't earth shattering cap space, but in that year there were some big name free agents and some deals to be had. Our biggest holes at the time were SG and C. So we could have brought back Kyle Korver or gone after Wesley Matthews.

Then we would have had a 2010 starting lineup of:
Jrue Holiday
Kyle Korver
Andre Igoudala
DeMarcus Cousins
Tony Battie/FA signing

And wold have had Thad Young on the bench.

Now remember that was the year the Big 3 joined forces in Miami and this would have been a young team with 2 strengths where they had weaknesses (Holiday at PG and Cousins being tough inside at PF). I think that's a squad that would have stayed together and traded some future assets to bring in a better C for them. ANd Holiday and Igoudala were not on max deals and Cousins on a rookie contract.

smith&wesson
06-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Raptors keep VC and Tmac in their primes and go on to compete for titles vs the Lakers..

FOXHOUND
06-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Raptors keep VC and Tmac in their primes and go on to compete for titles vs the Lakers..

https://youtu.be/-f0BLQOgOOY?t=2m14s

You reminded me of this. I don't mean to break the hearts of Raptor fans, but even when I saw this as a Knicks fan it hurt.

Dade County
06-03-2017, 01:09 PM
If the League didn't rig the Lottery & Miami had the 1st pick & we drafted Rose.

He might have been able to sustain a longer career because of less pressure on his knees and legs because he would not have had to carry the Miami Heat.

We don't sign Mike Miller in that free agency year.

Rose
Wade
Lbj
3&D/ UD
Bosh

So even if Lbj left, & if Rose doesn't get hurt; Miami still is in contention yearly.

Lbj is a front runner and worries about his legacy, so he might not have left lol
( but honestly I don't mind that he is gone, I just don't want him to ever wear a HEAT jersey again and I wish he didn't give Dallas the championship in 2011; Wade first Finals lost).

But the reason why I'm focused on Rose and that draft is because maybe Wade could have taught Rose how to land properly.
(D Rose Vid)
https://youtu.be/S_rdO8OLHZo

Rose wouldn't have been landing on one leg and putting so much pressure on his knees every time he came down off of his acrobatics in the air.

mngopher35
06-03-2017, 02:09 PM
What if Sam cassell never does the big balls dance in 04

What if we keep Ray over marbury

What if we didn't have the worst lottery luck around

Wouldn't mind any of these changing...

dhopisthename
06-03-2017, 03:13 PM
I have always had a hard time with draft things because who knows if they develope on your team like they did on a different team, but the Jazz had a great chance to draft kawhi leonard and who knows who good this team might be with him on it.

2nd being what happens if the Jazz don't trade the #1 overall pick(magic johnson) to the lakers. that one might have completely changed the last 38 years of basketball.

Mr.B
06-03-2017, 03:43 PM
What if Jason Kidd and Jim Jackson had never met Toni Braxton?

What if the Mavericks had drafted Karl Malone in 1985 instead of Detlef Schrempf? Karl Malone has said he was hoping Dallas would draft him because he would get to play close to home. Schrempf on the other hand wanted no part of playing in Dallas. Schrempf finally got his wish and was traded (to Indiana). Dallas ended up with old *** Herb Williams.

valade16
06-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Portland:

What if Portland had drafted KD instead of Oden? KD - Roy - LMA - Batum. Roy still goes down eventually but do they win one before he does and how good would a KD-LMA-Batum core have been?

What if Sheed was never T'd up for looking at the ref in the 4th quarter of game 7 of the 2000 WCFs? Do the Lakers still mount their comeback or does Portland win? Does the Lakers dynasty still happen?

What if Sabonis had been allowed to come over in the 1986 draft? Blazers were Clyde - Kiki - Porter - Kersey - Duckworth. Do they win titles instead of merely going to the Finals?

And of course the ultimate: what if the Blazers had drafted MJ instead of Sam Bowie. Would MJ/Clyde be the new MJ/Pippen? How many titles does that team win?

R. Johnson#3
06-03-2017, 09:38 PM

It would've happened too. The team we had surrounding VC right after T-Mac left were all role players and grinders. Antonio Davis, Kevin Willis, Charles Oakley, JYD, Keon Clark, Alvin Williams. That team with VC was so much fun to watch. It would've been phenomenal if T-Mac stayed.

JasonJohnHorn
06-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Alternate uni: Detroit drafts Wade instead of Darko. One title becomes 4 in a row and Big Ben stays with the Pistons.

Until Boston pops up. Then when LBJ is ready to team up with Wade, he doe sit in Detroit and helps them the 4 more titles.

;-)

Raps18-19 Champ
06-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Vince and Tmac signed long term deals and waited for Bosh to develop.

j-bay
06-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Vince and Tmac signed long term deals and waited for Bosh to develop.

Are you suggesting that all 3 are on the same team. If so it never happens. In that universe, the Raptors are not high enough to draft Bosh.

bucketss
06-03-2017, 11:20 PM
raptors draft kwahi 2011.

i had a friend who was obsessed with him but i kept saying kwahi couldn't shoot thus wouldn't fit well with derozan.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Are you suggesting that all 3 are on the same team. If so it never happens. In that universe, the Raptors are not high enough to draft Bosh.

In my world, they play well but get injured in 2002-2003 so we can still get Bosh.

101O11
06-03-2017, 11:34 PM
This hurts but what is Robert Horry wasn't standing at the top of the 3 point line against the Kings during Game 4 of the 2001-02 playoffs.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-03-2017, 11:38 PM
raptors draft kwahi 2011.

i had a friend who was obsessed with him but i kept saying kwahi couldn't shoot thus wouldn't fit well with derozan.

I thought he would've been Ron Artest and liked the idea of him and Demar since Demar was a bad defender but I didn't think he'd be THIS good.

Monta is beast
06-04-2017, 12:36 AM
The warriors of 11 years ago

Monta is beast
06-04-2017, 12:37 AM
Alternate uni: Detroit drafts Wade instead of Darko. One title because 4 in a row and Big Ben stays with the Pistons.

Until Boston pops up. Then when LBJ is ready to team up with Wade, he doe sit in Detroit and helps them the 4 more titles.

;-)

That's actually interesting

Twolves88
06-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Alternative universe lakers never leave Minnesota. LA is forced to create an expansion team.

hugepatsfan
06-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Before the 11-12 season Boston worked hard to get David West but he chose Indiana becausebthire window was longer even if it open immediately. We ended up with Brandon Bass. Also in the second round that year Avery Bradley got injured and missed the remainder of the playoffs, this after he displaced Ray in the starting lineup to balance out our bench scoring.

We ended up with a 3-2 lead va MIA in the ECF before falling and with this two I feel there's a good chance we win and get back to the Finals.

Also a big one was KG's 2008-09 season injury. It never really gets talked about because he came back and was still good and we competed (made the Finals the next year) but he was never the same. He was still an MVP top 5ish caliber player when he got to Boston but once he had the knee injury that was over. He was never the same anymore.

warfelg
06-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Before the 11-12 season Boston worked hard to get David West but he chose Indiana becausebthire window was longer even if it open immediately. We ended up with Brandon Bass. Also in the second round that year Avery Bradley got injured and missed the remainder of the playoffs, this after he displaced Ray in the starting lineup to balance out our bench scoring.

We ended up with a 3-2 lead va MIA in the ECF before falling and with this two I feel there's a good chance we win and get back to the Finals.

Also a big one was KG's 2008-09 season injury. It never really gets talked about because he came back and was still good and we competed (made the Finals the next year) but he was never the same. He was still an MVP top 5ish caliber player when he got to Boston but once he had the knee injury that was over. He was never the same anymore.

One that I think is interesting for both of us is what is AI was traded to the Celtics during the '06 draft?

The deal was to be Telfair, Jefferson, #7 (if Brandon Roy was still available) for AI.

Mell413
06-04-2017, 08:48 AM
If the Jimmy Butler that exists right now would have been able to play along a healthy Derrick and Joakim.
Also, I would have been curious to know how Jay Williams' career turns out without the bike accident.

We draft Draymond Green instead of Marquis Teague( Thibs wanted Green) and drafted Gobert instead of Tony Snell. I know that would take some good fortune but a team with Jimmy, Draymond, and Gobert on it would be fun to watch. If you wanted to take it a step further you can sub in Lavine for McDermott in the 14 draft.

warfelg
06-04-2017, 08:51 AM
If the Jimmy Butler that exists right now would have been able to play along a healthy Derrick and Joakim.
Also, I would have been curious to know how Jay Williams' career turns out without the bike accident.

I wonder about that Jay Williams one so much. He looked like the real deal before that and looked like he could be the next big deal at PG.

hugepatsfan
06-04-2017, 09:06 AM
One that I think is interesting for both of us is what is AI was traded to the Celtics during the '06 draft?

The deal was to be Telfair, Jefferson, #7 (if Brandon Roy was still available) for AI.

Interesting for you guys. Thank God it didn't happen on our end lol

hugepatsfan
06-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Another big one for the Celtics is if they ever followed through on any of the Rondo rumors. At one point I think Steph was a discussion. Some talk of moving him for a pick to get Cousins. A lot of yearly chatter back when he was a premium trade chip. Could Steph had grown into what he is now in the Big 3's shadow? Could KG have mentored Cousins into his full potential?

Mr.B
06-04-2017, 12:46 PM
This one is a college team but what if Rasheed Wallace, and Jerry Stackhouse had stayed until their senior year in college. The 1995-96 UNC team would have had those two in addition to Vince Carter, Jamison, Jeff McInnis, and Shammond Williams.

smith&wesson
06-04-2017, 03:04 PM
https://youtu.be/-f0BLQOgOOY?t=2m14s

You reminded me of this. I don't mean to break the hearts of Raptor fans, but even when I saw this as a Knicks fan it hurt.

The only 2 real superstars we've ever had in franchise history and 1 of them wasnt here in his prime..

They glorified Carter and treated Tmac like an after thought. Anyone would have left if they were Tmac. Didn't blame him at all..

Raps18-19 Champ
06-04-2017, 06:23 PM
The only 2 real superstars we've ever had in franchise history and 1 of them wasnt here in his prime..

They glorified Carter and treated Tmac like an after thought. Anyone would have left if they were Tmac. Didn't blame him at all..

Sucks too. McGrady was better prime wise but Carter was ahead of McGrady in development so they are obviously going to prioritize him. Though in that duo during their primes, McGrady would have to distribute more while Carter takes a back seat scoring off of McGrady. Sort of like Lebron and Wade.

mrblisterdundee
06-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Considering all the mistakes by Portland's front office, there are almost endless better alternate universes. I'll focus on one involving a star traded before his prime: Jermaine O'Neal.
In my alternate universe, Portland doesn't trade him for "Stale" Dale Davis. Portland has a front court of prime O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace to challenge Shaq, along with Brian Grant coming off the bench. Damon Stoudemire and Bonzi Wells realize what a great front court they're playing with and decide to display better decision-making skills.

Mr.B
06-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Considering all the mistakes by Portland's front office, there are almost endless better alternate universes. I'll focus on one involving a star traded before his prime: Jermaine O'Neal.
In my alternate universe, Portland doesn't trade him for "Stale" Dale Davis. Portland has a front court of prime O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace to challenge Shaq, along with Brian Grant coming off the bench. Damon Stoudemire and Bonzi Wells realize what a great front court they're playing with and decide to display better decision-making skills.

J. O'Neal
Sheed
Wells
Jordan
Stoudamire

Yea, I'd say that lineup would have a shot a competing for a title.

mrblisterdundee
06-06-2017, 11:51 AM
J. O'Neal
Sheed
Wells
Jordan
Stoudamire
Yea, I'd say that lineup would have a shot a competing for a title.

Jordan is retired by this point and not part of the alternate universe I described. It would be Stoudemire, Smith, Pippen, Wallace and O'Neal, with Wells as the sixth man.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-06-2017, 03:42 PM
So many for the Celtics...what if Lewis or Bias didn't die?? What if we got the #1 for Duncan? Or Durant? What if KG didn't get hurt? What if Ray stayed in Boston(effect the Miami universe)

MygirlhatesCod
06-06-2017, 04:58 PM
so In a better world the warriors:
-draft KG instead of joe smith in 95
-draft Kobe instead of f%$king Todd Fuller in 96
-kept Vince carter instead of trading for Antawn Jamison in 98

Dreams!

hugepatsfan
06-07-2017, 04:20 PM

I forgot that in 11-12 Jeff Green also missed the whole season with a heart problem. No West, Green out for the year, Bradley hurt in the second round. The team we had that took a 3-2 lead vs. MIA was:

Rondo / Keyon Dooling
Ray
Pierce / Mickael Pietrus
Bass
KG / Ryan Hollins

Like I said, AB had taken the starting spot and brought us great defense. Bass was good but David West was obviously better. Jeff Green came back the next year and as a 6th man averaged 13/4/2 on 47% shooting (38% from 3). No way do we lose to MIA that year if those three things happened (West coming to BOS, Bradley not getting hurt, Green not having heart problems).

R. Johnson#3
06-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Here's another one for the Raps. Draft LMA instead of Bargs. A front court of LMA and Bosh would've been a pretty good foundation. Would've taken a ton of pressure off Bosh.

tp13baby
06-07-2017, 05:32 PM
1. Nuggets who finished with the same record as Cleveland gets Lebron James instead.

2. If we could of inbounded the ball against LAL in 3 clutch situations at the end of games.

3. Gallo never tears his knee, we don't lose to Golden State.

NYKalltheway
06-08-2017, 04:27 AM
Knicks sign Lebron in 2010 offseason and then we get carried by the refs (mostly) to the NBA Finals year in, year out so no worries. Might win a couple of rings in the meantime, plus we'd attract better players for less money.

valade16
06-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Knicks sign Lebron in 2010 offseason and then we get carried by the refs (mostly) to the NBA Finals year in, year out so no worries. Might win a couple of rings in the meantime, plus we'd attract better players for less money.

Sounds like you're already living in an alternate universe.

TylerSL
06-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Miami drafts RUSSELL WESTBROOK with the #2 pick in 2008 and when Lebron and Bosh join in 2010 we absolutely would have broke the league. Westbrook with the Big 3 would have been simalar to Rondo with the Celtics, forcing his way in and making it a Big 4.

Even with Lebron choking with the Mavericks, with prime Wade and Westbrook on board along with Bosh I can't imagine we'd lose that series. The Heat were the best team regardless at this time but if we had Westbrook there would have been a completely different dynamic. He would have started showed signs he's much greater than what his role would have been and he would have commanded, over time, more of a role and the team would have been better for it.

By 2014 Westbrook was clearly established as a top PG in the league, having career averages of 20/7/5 at the time. He wouldn't have had those averages in Miami with Lebron and Wade on the team but he would have had the ability. Since we did lose badly in the 2014 Finals, it's still possible we lose the 2014 NBA Finals to the Spurs (though not in 5) but that would have been great television (Lebron, Wade, Westbrook,and Bosh vs. Duncan, Kawhi, Parker, and Manu).

Had we drafted Russell Westbrook #2 in 2008 one of two things would have happened in 2014. Either Lebron would have decided he'd be insane to leave Westbrook and stay in Miami, thus even further changing our fortunes. Or he does leave and the Heat spend no time replacing him with another superstar because of Westbrook's ascension. Since this is our alternate reality, I'm gonna say Lebron stayed in Miami because leaving Westbrook would be insane.

Assuming we keep Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, as well as Westbrook a couple things would have happened. Bosh would have still had clots, we still would have taken a flier on Hassan Whiteside (though I find it likely he would have left in free agency after 15-16, with us not being able to pay him), and we would have never traded for Dragic. To this day I also believe the Heat would have gotten Pau Gasol on the small mid level because he wanted to join up in Miami in the summer of 2014 anyway but didn't when Lebron left, going instead to the Bulls. Even with Bosh's clots, a starting lineup of Westbrook, Wade, Lebron, Gasol, and Whiteside would have annihilated the Warriors in 2015 considering Lebron took em to 6 games with that horrible cast he had. We likely would have defeated the Warriors again in 2016 with the same cast.

Assuming Durant signed with the Warriors for the 16-17 season as he did and with Wade regressing with age as well as the team being unable to resign Whiteside (because we would not have had his bird rights we would have had to have used cap to sign him), the Warriors might have been able to beat us in the 2017 Finals.

But if we had Westbrook on the team it's extremely likely Lebron never leaves the Heat, the team would have been so loaded they would have instantly recovered from Chris Bosh's injury, which is really saying something, and we would have won more titles. Who knows, maybe we could have went to 10 straight finals.

If we had Westbrook these would have been the Finals matchups and likely outcomes

2011 vs Dallas-win (even with the Lebron choking, prime Wade, Westbrook, Bosh, and bad Lebron too much)
2012 vs Spurs-win (with Russ in Miami, OKC wouldn't be making the Finals and the Spurs lost in the WCF)
2013 vs Spurs-win
2014 vs Spurs-loss (still think we lose this one because Kawhi ascended and the Spurs are still great)
2015 vs Warriors-win
2016 vs Warriors-win
2017 vs Warriors-probably loss

Making us probably 5-2 in the 7 finals we would have been to, but with no Whiteside and Bosh to take up a huge piece of the cap and Wade regressing and commanding less dollars and with more money to play with today than when we actually did have Lebron, it wouldn't be hard to add more great talent around Lebron and Westbrook.

Long story short, the Heat wouldn't be going anywhere and Lebron and Russ would be dominating the league alongside Wade and whoever else they would have been able to get to replace Bosh and Whiteside. We would be right in the thick of it every single season.

eDush
06-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Miami drafts RUSSELL WESTBROOK with the #2 pick in 2008 and when Lebron and Bosh join in 2010 we absolutely would have broke the league. Westbrook with the Big 3 would have been simalar to Rondo with the Celtics, forcing his way in and making it a Big 4.

Even with Lebron choking with the Mavericks, with prime Wade and Westbrook on board along with Bosh I can't imagine we'd lose that series. The Heat were the best team regardless at this time but if we had Westbrook there would have been a completely different dynamic. He would have started showed signs he's much greater than what his role would have been and he would have commanded, over time, more of a role and the team would have been better for it.

By 2014 Westbrook was clearly established as a top PG in the league, having career averages of 20/7/5 at the time. He wouldn't have had those averages in Miami with Lebron and Wade on the team but he would have had the ability. Since we did lose badly in the 2014 Finals, it's still possible we lose the 2014 NBA Finals to the Spurs (though not in 5) but that would have been great television (Lebron, Wade, Westbrook,and Bosh vs. Duncan, Kawhi, Parker, and Manu).

Had we drafted Russell Westbrook #2 in 2008 one of two things would have happened in 2014. Either Lebron would have decided he'd be insane to leave Westbrook and stay in Miami, thus even further changing our fortunes. Or he does leave and the Heat spend no time replacing him with another superstar because of Westbrook's ascension. Since this is our alternate reality, I'm gonna say Lebron stayed in Miami because leaving Westbrook would be insane.

Assuming we keep Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, as well as Westbrook a couple things would have happened. Bosh would have still had clots, we still would have taken a flier on Hassan Whiteside (though I find it likely he would have left in free agency after 15-16, with us not being able to pay him), and we would have never traded for Dragic. To this day I also believe the Heat would have gotten Pau Gasol on the small mid level because he wanted to join up in Miami in the summer of 2014 anyway but didn't when Lebron left, going instead to the Bulls. Even with Bosh's clots, a starting lineup of Westbrook, Wade, Lebron, Gasol, and Whiteside would have annihilated the Warriors in 2015 considering Lebron took em to 6 games with that horrible cast he had. We likely would have defeated the Warriors again in 2016 with the same cast.

Assuming Durant signed with the Warriors for the 16-17 season as he did and with Wade regressing with age as well as the team being unable to resign Whiteside (because we would not have had his bird rights we would have had to have used cap to sign him), the Warriors might have been able to beat us in the 2017 Finals.

But if we had Westbrook on the team it's extremely likely Lebron never leaves the Heat, the team would have been so loaded they would have instantly recovered from Chris Bosh's injury, which is really saying something, and we would have won more titles. Who knows, maybe we could have went to 10 straight finals.

If we had Westbrook these would have been the Finals matchups and likely outcomes

2011 vs Dallas-win (even with the Lebron choking, prime Wade, Westbrook, Bosh, and bad Lebron too much)
2012 vs Spurs-win (with Russ in Miami, OKC wouldn't be making the Finals and the Spurs lost in the WCF)
2013 vs Spurs-win
2014 vs Spurs-loss (still think we lose this one because Kawhi ascended and the Spurs are still great)
2015 vs Warriors-win
2016 vs Warriors-win
2017 vs Warriors-probably loss

Making us probably 5-2 in the 7 finals we would have been to, but with no Whiteside and Bosh to take up a huge piece of the cap and Wade regressing and commanding less dollars and with more money to play with today than when we actually did have Lebron, it wouldn't be hard to add more great talent around Lebron and Westbrook.

Long story short, the Heat wouldn't be going anywhere and Lebron and Russ would be dominating the league alongside Wade and whoever else they would have been able to get to replace Bosh and Whiteside. We would be right in the thick of it every single season.Thx for reminding me why I hate Miami South Beach so much :nod:

PAOboston
06-10-2017, 04:07 PM
What if Len Bias and Reggie Lewis had not tragically passed away?

Does Boston win it all in 87? Were Bias/Lewis the heir apparent to take the reigns from Bird/McHale/Parrish and lead the C's into the 90s with as championship contenders against the Bad Boy Pistons and Jordan's Bulls?

Would the C's ever had their "Dark Ages" era of the 90s/2000s?