PDA

View Full Version : Durrant Open to less than max to keep team together next year

SfgiantsJD3
06-01-2017, 03:08 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Kevin-Durant-open-to-taking-less-than-max-to-keep-11188893.php

ManRam
06-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Rule change: force all-pro players to attain max contracts!

hugepatsfan
06-01-2017, 03:18 PM
I mean wasn't this known all year? Durant's not a money hungry guy. He's not driven by competition. He doesn't really care about "legacy." He just wants to be on a loaded team where he doesn't need to stress himself out about losing because it makes it less fun for him if he doesn't know he can win. GS gives him that. Perfect spot for his personality.

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 03:25 PM
I mean wasn't this known all year? Durant's not a money hungry guy. He's not driven by competition. He doesn't really care about "legacy." He just wants to be on a loaded team where he doesn't need to stress himself out about losing because it makes it less fun for him if he doesn't know he can win. GS gives him that. Perfect spot for his personality.

This sums it all about him. His personality seems chill and he can't handle pressured moments.

SteBO
06-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Smart on KD's part for basketball reasons, great for the Warriors and their fans, blows for everyone else........

eDush
06-01-2017, 03:33 PM
I mean wasn't this known all year? Durant's not a money hungry guy. He's not driven by competition. He doesn't really care about "legacy." He just wants to be on a loaded team where he doesn't need to stress himself out about losing because it makes it less fun for him if he doesn't know he can win. GS gives him that. Perfect spot for his personality.Yet you state that CP3 would not leave money on the table to play for SA after a bunch of bull which imply he is greedy compare to KD. CP3 would likely do the same thing to improve the Clippers roster or leave in order to win. Same for Steph if he was in the same situation :nod:. It's not all about money :no:

JLynn943
06-01-2017, 03:33 PM
So, check back on the NBA in 3 or 4 years. Got it.

BKLYNpigeon
06-01-2017, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't you take a little less so you can play with one of your good friends in Iggy?

Hawkeye15
06-01-2017, 03:43 PM
what a good guy

hugepatsfan
06-01-2017, 03:45 PM
This sums it all about him. His personality seems chill and he can't handle pressured moments.

I don't think that's fair to say he can't handle them. He just doesn't want to. Some guys are just competitive in nature (Westbrook, Kobe, MJ, KG, etc.) and they get an adrenaline rush from competition. Durant doesn't seem to. He just like having fun.

GREATNESS ONE
06-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Lolol this.

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 04:06 PM
I don't think that's fair to say he can't handle them. He just doesn't want to. Some guys are just competitive in nature (Westbrook, Kobe, MJ, KG, etc.) and they get an adrenaline rush from competition. Durant doesn't seem to. He just like having fun.

He can't handle them, though. When we were out with WB, we should have beaten Memphis. Granted, Memphis was a pretty good team but KD just couldn't score at all. Then when it was vs the Warriors, it happened again. He's shown very little that he can handle it so moving to Warriors would prevent it before ever happening. I don't think it's a coincidence that RWB was the alpha of that team. That wasn't the case in the rookie season but I think he sensed that KD wasn't going to develop into that kind of player so he took it upon himself. KD has a LeBron-type mentality but his game is predicated on scoring and that's where it gets messy for him.

warfelg
06-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Pretty much what I think.

I miss the days when the MLBPA threw a **** fit about ARod to the Red Sox because he renegotiated for less money.

tredigs
06-01-2017, 04:23 PM
BOOM Biscuits.

Vee-Rex
06-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Makes sense. Why take an extra few million and make it harder to bring back virtually the entire Warriors bench?

R. Johnson#3
06-01-2017, 04:26 PM

Nailed it.

BKLYNpigeon
06-01-2017, 04:32 PM
KD makes 35m from Nike every year. extra 5m from the warriors won't change much.

papipapsmanny
06-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Wish he would just go home to the Wizards.... that dream of mine has sailed. Unfortunate because he would fit in so well with Wall and Beal's games

TrueFan420
06-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Makes sense. Why take an extra few million and make it harder to bring back virtually the entire Warriors bench?

Also throw in that hes making way more in endorsements in the Bay and it matters even less

eDush
06-01-2017, 04:58 PM
KD makes 35m from Nike every year. extra 5m from the warriors won't change much.Like that's the reason why he took less :rolleyes:

RowBTrice
06-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Good, **** bron

eDush
06-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Also throw in that hes making way more in endorsements in the Bay and it matters even lessWell have u ever wonder why he decides to announce it now just before the championship series is to begin this evening? ....here's a possibility - he might be worried that he will choke big games again that he's been criticized for in the past or have you forgotten what happen last year against us with a 3-1 lead. Yes, he choke and was timid to take open shots in game 7 cause pressure was too intense for him. Now he can let Steph be the man to take the big shots when he chokes up again but maybe by announcing this news, the criticism will be less hateful. Maybe but that's my logical guess behind it lol.

Gosh I'm good...:nod: :dance:

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 05:20 PM
The endorsements you make being a city is kinda irrelevant these days. You guys act like some of these athletes are restricted to their city only. Unless that business is local (which must mean it is a smaller business), you aren't getting paid much anyways. LeBron has endorsements from Nike before he even got to the NBA. If you're good, you're getting endorsements even if you live in an igloo. No doubt, though. I'd rather live in the Bay area than OKC.

DanG
06-01-2017, 05:23 PM
That's what I was ranting about in the Millsap thread. Steph should follow next and I believe he will. The Warriors have a unique chance to dominate the league for the next 4-5 years. All the other teams are overpaying for players and settling for mediocrity. KD and Steph make 3x more money selling shoes than Tom Brady does winning superbowls. Take less, get a great rim protector on the team and you're good to go while the Celtics give Gordon Hayward 35M per year and get swept in the finals.

SfgiantsJD3
06-01-2017, 05:28 PM
The endorsements you make being a city is kinda irrelevant these days. You guys act like some of these athletes are restricted to their city only. Unless that business is local (which must mean it is a smaller business), you aren't getting paid much anyways. LeBron has endorsements from Nike before he even got to the NBA. If you're good, you're getting endorsements even if you live in an igloo. No doubt, though. I'd rather live in the Bay area than OKC.

The article mentions him hanging out with Silicon Valley Venture Capital guys, that association alone could be worth more than his contract. Getting in on those deals is who you know at the beginning and having the money.
In OKC he was probably exposed to gas and oil and other energy deals.

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 05:58 PM
The article mentions him hanging out with Silicon Valley Venture Capital guys, that association alone could be worth more than his contract. Getting in on those deals is who you know at the beginning and having the money.
In OKC he was probably exposed to gas and oil and other energy deals.

That's not called endorsements. And it doesn't take moving near Silicon Valley to get business done. There are professionals out there that handle these things. You really think KD is out there doing all the financials on whether or not a decision is good? He's hiring people to do it for him.

Teeboy1487
06-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Lets go Sparks. The women are far more competitive than the so called "men" in the NBA. Never seen such scared little boys so afraid of competition.

Scoots
06-01-2017, 06:30 PM

I don't think he'd mind having to work harder ... but he wants to work with good people who want to play the way he wants to play. I don't think it's about the work, it's about the environment.

Scoots
06-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Also throw in that hes making way more in endorsements in the Bay and it matters even less

And his tech investments.

Scoots
06-01-2017, 06:32 PM
That's what I was ranting about in the Millsap thread. Steph should follow next and I believe he will. The Warriors have a unique chance to dominate the league for the next 4-5 years. All the other teams are overpaying for players and settling for mediocrity. KD and Steph make 3x more money selling shoes than Tom Brady does winning superbowls. Take less, get a great rim protector on the team and you're good to go while the Celtics give Gordon Hayward 35M per year and get swept in the finals.

I wouldn't be surprised if KD and Curry sign matching contracts.

eDush
06-01-2017, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if KD and Curry sign matching contracts.That would imply that Steph would take less too but why when he doesn't have to. I rather see the Finals MVP gets the full max which is likely Steph :nod:

TrueFan420
06-01-2017, 09:00 PM

I was thinking this at first but I think Durant gives the nod to Curry and let's him be the highest paid Warrior. Curry has talked about how he knows why he signed the deal he did but that he thinks about how he's the 5th or 6th highest paid when he's the best player on the team. Granted it was before KD joined but I'm sure he feels the same. I bet the take similar deals and their both not MAX but just like in Miami with Bron, Curry will be the highest paid even if only by 1 million.

lol, please
06-01-2017, 09:01 PM

By reasonable people.

There have also been delusional posters lately saying this team is going to fall apart because we can't afford them all.

:laugh2:

As if the haters couldn't get even more upset...this will put that to the test.

Scoots
06-02-2017, 09:12 AM
I was thinking this at first but I think Durant gives the nod to Curry and let's him be the highest paid Warrior. Curry has talked about how he knows why he signed the deal he did but that he thinks about how he's the 5th or 6th highest paid when he's the best player on the team. Granted it was before KD joined but I'm sure he feels the same. I bet the take similar deals and their both not MAX but just like in Miami with Bron, Curry will be the highest paid even if only by 1 million.

Sure, it's possible. It's also possible Curry gets the full max, I doubt he does though. I don't think the Warriors have ever maxed a player out before.

eDush
06-02-2017, 09:54 AM

Sure, it's possible. It's also possible Curry gets the full max, I doubt he does though. I don't think the Warriors have ever maxed a player out before.Antawn says hi

hugepatsfan
06-02-2017, 09:56 AM
It's important they take care of business in the Finals though just to make sure KD doesn't get second thoughts and think he needs to take the MLE with CLE though. They really need to close this down to make sure they can keep him.

Chronz
06-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Lets go Sparks. The women are far more competitive than the so called "men" in the NBA. Never seen such scared little boys so afraid of competition.
It's finally come to this. Hasn't it

LA4life24/8
06-02-2017, 01:45 PM
The big thing is will klay continue to sacrifice his game to stay on this team and play 3rd sometimes 4th fiddle?

BKLYNpigeon
06-02-2017, 02:08 PM
The big thing is will klay continue to sacrifice his game to stay on this team and play 3rd sometimes 4th fiddle?

Klay is expendable. I hope the warriors trade him for some assets so he doesn't walk away for nothing.

We could never replace his Shooting. but defensively you can. Would be hard for the Warriors to pay all 4.

Chronz
06-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Harden wouldn't have stayed in OKC cuz they asked him to take less. Cant believe I admire the likes of Harden more than KD. A year ago I would have laughed in your face if you told me that

likemystylez
06-02-2017, 06:37 PM

I actually think Klay is getting plenty of shots to still be a force, and a huge percentage of his shots last night were very good looks. Klay is struggling because klay is missing makeable shots. he is not being frozen out like people are assuming. I mean last night, he was literally being forcefed great looks and he just wasnt focused enough to drill a reasonable percentage of them. Even his open lay ups, he wouldnt go in one fluid motion, he like stopped up faked and then laid it in when there was nobody within 5 feet of him

FlashBolt
06-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Curry should get the max and a boatload more... this guy was on a $44m 4 year contract. Can't shortchange the guy any longer. He deserves it for making that Warriors team what it is so KD can join.. If anything, KD should give some money up so Curry can get whatever he wants.

likemystylez
06-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Curry should get the max and a boatload more... this guy was on a $44m 4 year contract. Can't shortchange the guy any longer. He deserves it for making that Warriors team what it is so KD can join.. If anything, KD should give some money up so Curry can get whatever he wants.

curry will get what he wants no matter what. KD will take less (meaning he will not opt out of his 2 yr deal from last summer) in order to allow the team to go over the cap to sign livingston and iggy.

I think it was good that kd said he would take less before the finals started just so the team knew they were all in this together and not playing to keep kd

likemystylez
06-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Sure, it's possible. It's also possible Curry gets the full max, I doubt he does though. I don't think the Warriors have ever maxed a player out before.

a 2 time mvp who has been criminally underpaid the last 4 yrs should make that exception. in terms of marketing the guy has been arguably the most popular player in the league the last couple yrs too. curry has made the warriors a ton of money

Bostonjorge
06-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Yup

eDush
06-02-2017, 10:24 PM
curry will get what he wants no matter what. KD will take less (meaning he will not opt out of his 2 yr deal from last summer) in order to allow the team to go over the cap to sign livingston and iggy.

I think it was good that kd said he would take less before the finals started just so the team knew they were all in this together and not playing to keep kd
He could have said it anytime instead of before the finals for a reason or not say it publicly at all since I'm sure he told his teammates especially to Steph out of respect long ago like probably during the off season he was going to do just that. Making it public is for show only but you probably think Iggy had no clue until now :laugh:

And Steph should accept the super max instead of doing the same thing like some people are thinking. It's about time he is the highest paid player on this team!!!
:mad:

eDush
06-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Yup

It will NOT happen and I will bet on it :nod:

Scoots
06-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Antawn says hi

Link?

Scoots
06-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Iguodala let slip a month ago that the future was already essentially worked out and he expected to be back. I think this was all locked down before KD signed his contract.

Scoots
06-04-2017, 11:16 AM
a 2 time mvp who has been criminally underpaid the last 4 yrs should make that exception. in terms of marketing the guy has been arguably the most popular player in the league the last couple yrs too. curry has made the warriors a ton of money

Sure, and nobody disputes that ... the question is what does Curry want.

TrueFan420
06-04-2017, 02:55 PM

I think he wants to get paid. He's still a little bitter about his contract even if he understands why he took it the first time around. I know he's making bank with underarmor but I think he wants to be the highest paid player on the team for once. The question will be is willing to be the highest paid but still not be maxed.

Chronz
06-04-2017, 03:34 PM
They s should all take the min so that bron could get the max and they will continue being great. Cuz people want greatness i guess

hugepatsfan
06-04-2017, 04:48 PM
They s should all take the min so that bron could get the max and they will continue being great. Cuz people want greatness i guess

Is there someone else as brave as KD though to want to deal with that scrutiny?

nastynice
06-05-2017, 12:31 AM

Don't need Bron. We got everything we need to achieve greatness

Saddletramp
06-05-2017, 03:28 AM

Nah, that'd be stacking the deck. But maybe CP3 joins as their sixth man guard and maybe Lacomb gets a buyout from the Pels for AD and then sign him, then get him a Google endorsement deal for $100 million a year to get him his money.

I mean, that's the only thing that matters, right?

Seriously though, I can't imagine Curry going too hard for a max, not like they'll try to under pay him again. Honestly with the big shoe deals and that Bay Area endorsement money, who cares about a few million if you're on a team that stacked? Can't blame KD for taking less and keeping some key guys around.

(In regards to endorsement deals) Much like most things, money is ruining things.

Aust
06-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Boring. At least I'll get to watch my Lakers try to build something. Don't care for much else.

Oakmont_4
06-05-2017, 06:50 AM
And Durant continues to live without a spine or a sack. Take the easy way out, that's how you succeed in todays world.

eDush
06-05-2017, 07:45 AM

Iguodala let slip a month ago that the future was already essentially worked out and he expected to be back. I think this was all locked down before KD signed his contract.No doubt but there are many ignorant fans who still think no one on the team including his friend Iggy knew what he would do until he announced it prior to the game :laugh:

eDush
06-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Antawn says hi

Link?I think you're trolling since I doubt you are absent minded on Dubs history but whatever...
http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jamison-stays-for-big-bucks-Warriors-sign-2885280.php

eDush
06-05-2017, 08:00 AM

I think he wants to get paid. He's still a little bitter about his contract even if he understands why he took it the first time around. I know he's making bank with underarmor but I think he wants to be the highest paid player on the team for once. The question will be is willing to be the highest paid but still not be maxed.Steph is one of the most humbled person to ever play the game and always feel blessed to be in the situation he is in regardless of his contract so to say he is bitter about it show you still know little about him and only speaking if it was you instead :(

The Dubs will insist he get the Super max whether he likes it or not since it's a wise team business and marketing move to have the best player on the team signing the highest possible contract. Anything less would not be acceptable to this organization.
:no:

RowBTrice
06-05-2017, 09:48 AM
And Durant continues to live without a spine or a sack. Take the easy way out, that's how you succeed in todays world.

Forgetting about the Celtics doing this how many years ago already?

archdevil84
06-05-2017, 10:48 AM
it would honestly be hilarious if CP3 and the rest of all the stars in the league all signed with the warriors just to show the league's inbalance

Scoots
06-05-2017, 10:52 AM
I think you're trolling since I doubt you are absent minded on Dubs history but whatever...
http://m.sfgate.com/sports/article/Jamison-stays-for-big-bucks-Warriors-sign-2885280.php

Not trolling ... I knew he signed for the $80+M but I didn't know it was an actual max deal.

Scoots
06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Steph is one of the most humbled person to ever play the game and always feel blessed to be in the situation he is in regardless of his contract so to say he is bitter about it show you still know little about him and only speaking if it was you instead :(

The Dubs will insist he get the Super max whether he likes it or not since it's a wise team business and marketing move to have the best player on the team signing the highest possible contract. Anything less would not be acceptable to this organization.

You started off on the wrong foot with saying Steph is humble. He's arrogant, but in a good way.

I agree in that I don't think he's bitter at all.

I'm CERTAIN the Warriors won't force him to take the Super Max.

Scoots
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
it would honestly be hilarious if CP3 and the rest of all the stars in the league all signed with the warriors just to show the league's inbalance

It would also be hilarious to see who they turned away.

THE MTL
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM

Spot on.

Bigdaddyburch
06-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Yet you state that CP3 would not leave money on the table to play for SA after a bunch of bull which imply he is greedy compare to KD. CP3 would likely do the same thing to improve the Clippers roster or leave in order to win. Same for Steph if he was in the same situation :nod:. It's not all about money :no:
Yet no matter what CP3 does he wont have a shot at a championship as long as GS stays together. CP3 wpuld do better going to say the Cavs to be able to win one.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
06-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Is there someone else as brave as KD though to want to deal with that scrutiny?

Durant's internal fire reminds me of this video

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=billy+squire+video&view=detail&mid=1E79355BFEDAB675D9FA1E79355BFEDAB675D9FA&FORM=VIRE

FlashBolt
06-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Durant's internal fire reminds me of this video

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=billy+squire+video&view=detail&mid=1E79355BFEDAB675D9FA1E79355BFEDAB675D9FA&FORM=VIRE

Dude... I have to report you for using Bing. WTF man?

Scoots
06-05-2017, 08:57 PM

lol

Raps18-19 Champ
06-05-2017, 09:31 PM
This reminds me when people tried to reason how Lebron and Bosh and Wade took less than the max to team up. Well that amounted to pocket change for them considering they make so much.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-05-2017, 09:31 PM

He's like 40.

Scoots
06-05-2017, 09:42 PM
He's like 40.

Bing is younger than Google. But ... does this mean he uses the dreaded Internet Explorer?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Probably still getting use to Cortana.

eDush
06-06-2017, 12:17 AM
Steph is one of the most humbled person to ever play the game and always feel blessed to be in the situation he is in regardless of his contract so to say he is bitter about it show you still know little about him and only speaking if it was you instead :(

You started off on the wrong foot with saying Steph is humble. He's arrogant, but in a good way.

I agree in that I don't think he's bitter at all.

I'm CERTAIN the Warriors won't force him to take the Super Max.So you are basing how he act towards some opposing teams to come to your conclusion that he is an arrogant person? ...the same way you had concluded about Jackson as a person back when he was fired that started all of the bickering and nonsense cause you don't get it.

You obviously know little about Steph other than what he does on the court and decided to characterize that way as a person too which is sad :(

TrueFan420
06-06-2017, 12:30 AM

This paints a different picture

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/news/how-stephen-curry-makes-his-daily-peace-with-a-contract-unfit-for-the-mvp-014857274.html

Anytime someone needs to remind themselves every day to let it go it still bugs them. He has a good head on his shoulders money wise and understands why he signed when he did but those quotes from him show someone that is still thinking about it.

BKLYNpigeon
06-06-2017, 12:43 AM
KD is going to take 5mil less. Its not too much to ask.

lol, please
06-06-2017, 01:33 AM

:laugh2:

RaiderLakersA's
06-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Likes the organization and his team.

Has the chance to win multiple titles realistically.

Will get paid no matter what, even if he gives a discount.

Might as well stay.

MrfadeawayJB
06-08-2017, 09:09 PM
If I was a warriors fan is be thrilled to hear this...but for everyone else, it's just kind of making the nba unwatchable from a competitive standpoint.

Scoots
06-09-2017, 12:00 AM
If I was a warriors fan is be thrilled to hear this...but for everyone else, it's just kind of making the nba unwatchable from a competitive standpoint.

Ratings for game 3 up 22%. I think it's unwatchableness is over-stated.

warfelg
06-09-2017, 07:34 AM
I kinda wonder what the market by market returns on those ratings are.

MrfadeawayJB
06-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Ratings for game 3 up 22%. I think it's unwatchableness is over-stated.

It's year 1. People want to see A) LeBron lose or B) the warriors win.

You don't think it will get old after a few seasons (for the average nba fan)

Assuming GS is healthy they'll be just as dominant.

Scoots
06-09-2017, 12:26 PM
It's year 1. People want to see A) LeBron lose or B) the warriors win.

You don't think it will get old after a few seasons (for the average nba fan)

Assuming GS is healthy they'll be just as dominant.

The story will change. The Warriors will get old, the bench will get thinner and thinner.