PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Davis responds to Austin Rivers

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2017, 11:24 PM
Baby Davis responds to Austin Rivers.... this about sums it up:

https://streamable.com/yigmm

Not much Austin can say in response to that. 100% true. Dude wouldn't even be in the league without his dad.

goingfor28
05-31-2017, 11:39 PM
Yes he would

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FOXHOUND
05-31-2017, 11:44 PM
Jealousy is an ugly thing to witness. I doubt Austin Rivers is out of the league by 30 just by the virtue of him being fit enough to be a "tight pants wearing" person. He has proven he can play in the league, even if he hasn't met the expectations of being the 10th overall pick in his draft. This is a good example of why Rivers now needs to leave the Clippers though. Glen Davis can't be the only player with this mentality when he views Rivers, justified or not. He needs to get away from Doc and pave his own way.

nastynice
05-31-2017, 11:45 PM
He's a legitimate nba caliber back up. Maybe he gets more playing time and money cuz of his dad, but he's still capable in this league even without his dad

nastynice
05-31-2017, 11:47 PM
He needs to get away from Doc and pave his own way.

Good point. It'd do him good

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Wow, this guy is spitting all over the place it's almost unbearable to watch that short video... Anyhow, Glen is right. What did his son do to deserve that contract? He's a good bench player but he thinks really not THAT good at all. But Imma have to side with Austin on this just because Glen was spitting all over my monitor.

Mr.B
06-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Austin Rivers = CJ Miles

zn23
06-01-2017, 12:28 AM
I've said it before, Austin Rivers is a disaster. He wouldn't be in the league without his dad.

BKLYNpigeon
06-01-2017, 01:18 AM
I would never pay a backup pg 12m a year.

Has Doc the GM done anything good other then trade for Reddick?

nastynice
06-01-2017, 03:08 AM

Brought Paul pierce over to form another super team..? :shrug:

hugepatsfan
06-01-2017, 03:31 AM

I will say $12M for a backup isn't even outlandish today. Especially for a team over the cap that either loses the role player for nothing or keeps him. The MLE I think is gonna be like $8.8M and that kind of sets the market for a role player in a good team. Rivers isn't even really a bad contract as a 3 and D reserve. Doc overpaid him by a little which is fine for continuity in all honesty - he just plays him like 5 minutes per game more than he should.

Overall though he's obviously been awful. Reddick was a good acquisition but honestly I feel like he could have gotten more for Bledsoe at the time. He just zeroed in on one guy.

RaJAxTWa
06-01-2017, 04:57 AM
He should of just shown Austin the ring...

Heediot
06-01-2017, 05:59 AM
He was trending towards being out of the league as teams like the Hornets and Suns gave up on him. His immaturity, lack of bball iq, and shooting was hurting him a lot.

His dad knew his flaws, and gave him the minutes and a long leash to work on his game. No one else would have let him played through his mistakes as much as his dad would of. there is definetely nepotism and personal interests involved in their professional relationship.

Now would have he still been in the league without his dad? That's a fair question. I think he would still, have but there is a good chance that if he didn't get the opportunity afforded by Pa that he'd be in China or Europe.

Scoots
06-01-2017, 08:50 AM
He was trending towards being out of the league as teams like the Hornets and Suns gave up on him. His immaturity, lack of bball iq, and shooting was hurting him a lot.

His dad knew his flaws, and gave him the minutes and a long leash to work on his game. No one else would have let him played through his mistakes as much as his dad would of. there is definetely nepotism and personal interests involved in their professional relationship.

Now would have he still been in the league without his dad? That's a fair question. I think he would still, have but there is a good chance that if he didn't get the opportunity afforded by Pa that he'd be in China or Europe.

Nailed it. His highlights make him look better than he is too. He makes great plays occasionally and plays good D occasionally. The problem has always been his wild inconsistency ... and his dad making it so he doesn't have to worry about losing his spot did help him out a LOT. He's a NBA caliber player now ... he wasn't on track to make it there without pops bailing him out ... and that contract? NO!

FOXHOUND
06-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Hmm? I don't think you're giving him enough credit. He was 22-years old and just 2 1/2 years removed from being the 10th pick in the draft. Do you remember how J.J. Redick started his career, for example? I don't think he was on his way of anything, he barely had an NBA career at that point to judge. New Orleans clearly lost faith in him, but New Orleans is also a terribly run organization who doesn't know how to develop young talent other than having a gift like Anthony Davis fall in their lap.

You're also mixing up your trade history. Bledsoe got traded to Phoenix long before Rivers got to LA. It was the trade that brought Redick there, actually. Rivers never played for anyone but New Orleans. He was traded in a 3-way trade to Boston for Quincy Pondexter and a 2nd round pick and then three days later traded to the Clippers before even playing a game for Boston. The Clippers gave up Chris Douglas-Roberts, Reggie Bullock and a 2nd round pick for him, hardly a large haul.

I would categorize the Rivers trade as one of the few good moves for Doc, as they've clearly gotten more out of him than anything those two were bringing. His contract is just a matter of a circumstance. It was given in an offseason where guys like Noah, Mozgov, Mahinmi, Crabbe, Turner and Tyler Johnson got $16-18M, where Conley and Horford got $28M. $11M for Rivers in that landscape is certainly the right price, and in hindsight a better deal than most given last offseason.

IndyRealist
06-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Austin Rivers = CJ Miles

Austin isn't even close to a serviceable backup. Rivers is nothing like Miles. CJ guards 2-4, shoots 42% from 3, and doesn't turn the ball over. Rivers is an unathletic combo guard who turns the ball over a ton, can't defend, and is an average shooter.

Austin Rivers is that dangerous combination of a horrid player who gets a ton of minutes, so he can do significant damage to his own team.

Heediot
06-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Hmm? I don't think you're giving him enough credit. He was 22-years old and just 2 1/2 years removed from being the 10th pick in the draft. Do you remember how J.J. Redick started his career, for example? I don't think he was on his way of anything, he barely had an NBA career at that point to judge. New Orleans clearly lost faith in him, but New Orleans is also a terribly run organization who doesn't know how to develop young talent other than having a gift like Anthony Davis fall in their lap.

You're also mixing up your trade history. Bledsoe got traded to Phoenix long before Rivers got to LA. It was the trade that brought Redick there, actually. Rivers never played for anyone but New Orleans. He was traded in a 3-way trade to Boston for Quincy Pondexter and a 2nd round pick and then three days later traded to the Clippers before even playing a game for Boston. The Clippers gave up Chris Douglas-Roberts, Reggie Bullock and a 2nd round pick for him, hardly a large haul.

I would categorize the Rivers trade as one of the few good moves for Doc, as they've clearly gotten more out of him than anything those two were bringing. His contract is just a matter of a circumstance. It was given in an offseason where guys like Noah, Mozgov, Mahinmi, Crabbe, Turner and Tyler Johnson got $16-18M, where Conley and Horford got $28M. $11M for Rivers in that landscape is certainly the right price, and in hindsight a better deal than most given last offseason.

You could be right in that he could have still ended up being a rotational nba player as his career was still in its infancy when the Pels/Hornets gave up on him.

OTOH, I am a big Paul guy and followed the Clippers for a good amount, and the reason for me watching less of them is Doc Rivers and his politics. He plays favorites and manipulates the situation for hidden agendas.

If Doc gave other young guys the same chance as Austin, who knows how they'll out. Doc is **** at developing young players in LA and has let them rot on the Bench if their name isn't Austin. Unlike Pops who can turn cow manure into gold. Doc knows his son well, so that is the reason why he let him develop and worked on his sons flaws.

That's just my perspective and I can see where your coming from. BUt fukc Doc Rivers.

Vee-Rex
06-01-2017, 09:51 AM
I'd take CJ Miles over Austin Rivers 24/7 and twice on Sundays.

FOXHOUND
06-01-2017, 09:55 AM
You could be right in that he could have still ended up being a rotational nba player as his career was still in its infancy when the Pels/Hornets gave up on him.

OTOH, I am a big Paul guy and followed the Clippers for a good amount, and the reason for me watching less of them is Doc Rivers and his politics. He plays favorites and manipulates the situation for hidden agendas.

If Doc gave other young guys the same chance as Austin, who knows how they'll out. Doc is **** at developing young players in LA and has let them rot on the Bench if their name isn't Austin. Unlike Pops who can turn cow manure into gold. Doc knows his son well, so that is the reason why he let him develop and worked on his sons flaws.

That's just my perspective and I can see where your coming from. BUt fukc Doc Rivers.

:laugh2: Fair enough. Doc is certainly a polarizing dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZofzuBu1IC0

nastynice
06-01-2017, 01:50 PM

Good post

I retract my earlier one, officially gonna piggyback this one

goingfor28
06-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Austin isn't even close to a serviceable backup. Rivers is nothing like Miles. CJ guards 2-4, shoots 42% from 3, and doesn't turn the ball over. Rivers is an unathletic combo guard who turns the ball over a ton, can't defend, and is an average shooter.

Austin Rivers is that dangerous combination of a horrid player who gets a ton of minutes, so he can do significant damage to his own team.
Literally all of this post is wrong

LOb0
06-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Austin Rivers won a playoff game not that long ago. Without his dad I don't think he'd of got the opportunity he did. I think he'd be where Jimmer fredette is.

But since he did, he's shown he's a serviceable backup PG.

Chronz
06-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Austin Rivers won a playoff game not that long ago. Without his dad I don't think he'd of got the opportunity he did. I think he'd be where Jimmer fredette is.

But since he did, he's shown he's a serviceable backup PG.
He's strictly a sg or an undersized 3 lol

SteBO
06-01-2017, 03:53 PM
I watched what Austin Rivers said live.....he was taking up for his father and fired shots of his own. Can't blame him, and can't blame Big Baby for taking up for himself.

IndyRealist
06-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Literally all of this post is wrong

LITERALLY all of it?

LOb0
06-01-2017, 05:52 PM
He's strictly a sg or an undersized 3 lol

He's played back up for CP3

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Austin Rivers always had an entitled childhood. This guy walks around like he has ten lb nuts between his legs because of his dad.. sad part is his dad is irrelevant in the NBA. One ring (took arguably the first modern Big Three) and what else? The guy talks a good talk but he's done terrible with managing the Clippers and has been a loser for the Celtics for years.

Scoots
06-01-2017, 06:19 PM
LITERALLY all of it?

And the grammar! My GOD the grammar!

Rain City
06-01-2017, 06:39 PM
glenn davis is making himself look really bad. i hope austin doesn't respond, he doesn't have to.

davis has no respect, he owes Doc alot for giving a 2nd round player a role that led to a new contract, than give him his final shot in the league.

LOb0
06-01-2017, 08:30 PM
glenn davis is making himself look really bad. i hope austin doesn't respond, he doesn't have to.

davis has no respect, he owes Doc alot for giving a 2nd round player a role that led to a new contract, than give him his final shot in the league.

Doc has given like 5 washed up players a chance. Austin really should have kept his mouth shut

JasonJohnHorn
06-01-2017, 11:21 PM
The last two seasons for Rivers haven't been atrocious shooting seasons... actually decent, but before that, his shooting was woefully awful for a shooting guard.

He was shooting around .420 INSIDE the arc before he played for his daddy.... most teams (or all) would have given up to him.

hugepatsfan
06-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Who would LAC have given up on him for? He was a #10 pick by someone other than his dad. People thought he was good. He was terrible on the scrap heap so LAC took a flier as a team that needed bench help but had no means to get proven guy. And as a young player he's kept improving to where he's staying solid. I don't think giving a #10 pick a shot is as big a deal as it seems. He's actually developed alright there. He's overpaid of course but most players are that make it to FA. This whole Doc thing is honestly blown way out of proportion there.

IndyRealist
06-02-2017, 12:45 PM
The last two seasons for Rivers haven't been atrocious shooting seasons... actually decent, but before that, his shooting was woefully awful for a shooting guard.

He was shooting around .420 INSIDE the arc before he played for his daddy.... most teams (or all) would have given up to him.

I wouldn't say decent, I'd say his shooting is now about average. But his shooting is the best part of his game, everything else is WAY behind.

Chronz
06-02-2017, 01:07 PM
He's played back up for CP3

Yes, thats how we know (Even Doc says it) that hes not a PG. Hes a secondary ball handler from the wing, thats it. He doesn't do well when he has to run sets, we went through so many different rotations but if you watch them, you'll see what I mean. Doc only trusts him as a 1 if Blake is out there to run the offense and sometimes he throws him out there knowing its a bad idea(like the game PP started against you guys, that should have been an actual PG out there).

Its like if I were to call Avery Bradley a great PG, see what I mean?

Chronz
06-02-2017, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't say decent, I'd say his shooting is now about average. But his shooting is the best part of his game, everything else is WAY behind.

And his shooting still cramps the floor. Its like Moute hitting 40% or whatever it is, they are all strictly corner shots when he has ALL day for his slow release. Dont get me wrong its better than being a complete liability but I'll take worse %'s if it comes with actual spacing for the stars. Austin struggles to create space for his teammates as an outlet, it often felt like some of his 3's were just hero shots/off the dribble.

Cracka2HI!
06-03-2017, 04:57 PM
I thought Baby's rant was really funny! I loved that guy when he was a Clipper. However Austin clearly wins this exchange and Baby should have thought out his content. Baby is probably the one who got an extra year out of his career because of Doc. Who picked up Baby after the Clippers again? I don't need to re-hash my opinion about Austin. I think Fox may actually like Austin more than me at this point. I wonder who people think Doc should have given minutes to instead of Austin? I don't defend Doc anymore and the reason there was no one better to play is because he drafts like ****. I still wonder who people think should have gotten Austin's minutes since he's considered such a garbage player by so many.

Sadly I think trading for Austin was Doc's best move. I don't think Austin would be out of the league if Doc didn't trade for him but I do admit it's a legitimate point. That said when The Clippers traded for Austin it did make basketball sense and it's made sense for him to play almost all the minutes he played. Chronz called it best, he's a 2 or a small 3 and his ability to play the 3 got him a lot of minutes. I guess Doc could have played Mbah a Moute more but who else? Wes Johnson? Alan Anderson? More Jamal Crawford at the 3? Austin did play PG when Paul was hurt. I think that was out of necessity. Who else was going to play those minutes? Ray Felton? I think Doc was wise to limit Felton's minutes. He was able to give the Clippers valuable minutes all year and even in the post season. Would Felton have been able to do that if Doc wore him out with 35 mpg the 20 games CP3 missed?

Someone said JJ Redick was Doc's only good trade. I think that was a bad trade. They traded Bledsoe for him and Dudley. I'm sure a competent GM could have gotten Redick and Dudley another way. Bledose was their only trade chip and they needed to get much more than that. In fact they traded Caron Butler to the Bucks that very same off-season. Why not just trade Butler for Redick? The Bucks didn't even get Bledsoe for ****s sake. Phoneix got Bledsoe for Jared Dudley. Oh **** I have to stop typing now. I'm making myself mad.

Chronz
06-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Bledsoe for Dudley

Dudley plays hurt at Doc's behest, unsurprisingly has a down year.

Doc trades Dudley+1st for the right to sign min wage players only to cut them within the year, the reasoning was that it was a salary dump but Dudley unsurprisingly had a bounce back year given health. Dudley was so good the market dictated he make as much as Doc paid his son. Let that sink in, thats the level of incompetence we've suffered with Doc. Gives up the best players, future assets and doesn't give his deals time to work out.

Scoots
06-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Bledsoe for Dudley

Dudley plays hurt at Doc's behest, unsurprisingly has a down year.

Doc trades Dudley+1st for the right to sign min wage players only to cut them within the year, the reasoning was that it was a salary dump but Dudley unsurprisingly had a bounce back year given health. Dudley was so good the market dictated he make as much as Doc paid his son. Let that sink in, thats the level of incompetence we've suffered with Doc. Gives up the best players, future assets and doesn't give his deals time to work out.

That move totally baffled me. One of many Doc has made that are short sighted and at times delusional.

Cracka2HI!
06-04-2017, 01:39 PM
JJ has been very valuable but he was a freaking FA. Bledose was like 23 and a great young trade chip. JJ was OK but not what he is now. Like I said Doc should have been able to get Redick for Caron Butler. Bledsoe is the kind of piece you get an all-star for. Hell they would have let the Chris Paul trade fall apart if New Orleans insisted on Bledsoe being in the deal. To trade that kind of trade chip for a FA and a guy you have to give up a 1st Round pick to trade a year later was the real death blow to this team. Bledsoe had to yield the team the starting SF they've needed the last 5 years. Like Chronz said he probably did get that guy in Dudley but Doc was too incompetent to keep him around after 1 down year.