PDA

View Full Version : John Wall

More-Than-Most
05-29-2017, 12:26 AM
Throws the bench under the bus... He isnt wrong but its a pretty ****** thing to do considering how awful he was in the final game... On top of this he questioned the head coaches call for not playing someone enough but then says we were 100 percent behind him... He seems to be talking out of his *** here... Is he out of line?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/john-wall-says-bench-was-wizards-downfall-wishes-kelly-oubre-played-more-469039.html

GoferKing_
05-29-2017, 09:48 AM
This guy, he has always some stupid *** comments, if it is not money, then teammates, coaches, etc.

sep11ie
05-29-2017, 10:45 AM
He really does need to learn to STFU

j-bay
05-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Throws the bench under the bus... He isnt wrong but its a pretty ****** thing to do considering how awful he was in the final game... On top of this he questioned the head coaches call for not playing someone enough but then says we were 100 percent behind him... He seems to be talking out of his *** here... Is he out of line?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/john-wall-says-bench-was-wizards-downfall-wishes-kelly-oubre-played-more-469039.html

He ain't wrong. Before any of you say "What an *******", how many of you watched a Wizards game this year. If you have you would know that besides Bojan when he got here, that the starting five carried the team the entire year. You would see a whole lot of games where the startng lineup had statlines like this.
Gortat 10-20 points
Morris 10-20 points
Porter 10-20 points
Beal 20-40 points
Wall 20-40 points

While the bench would have something like this

Player 1 5-7 points
Player 2 3 points
Player 3 2 points
Players 4-7 0 points

So can you blame him. This happened every game this season. Bojan was the only guy who helped point wise. It didn't improve in the playoffs either, so Imagine by that game 7, Wall and the starting were exhausted.

tredigs
05-29-2017, 01:34 PM
I don't even care that he said something, because that bench was despicable (one of the worst I've seen from a potential conference Finals squad). It's interesting that he thought Kelly Oubre should have played more though. I'm failing to see any positives from playing that kid more. The front office clearly needs to make bench depth their #1 priority over the summer.

j-bay
05-29-2017, 01:54 PM
I don't even care that he said something, because that bench was despicable (one of the worst I've seen from a potential conference Finals squad). It's interesting that he thought Kelly Oubre should have played more though. I'm failing to see any positives from playing that kid more. The front office clearly needs to make bench depth their #1 priority over the summer.

Many people said the same thing about OPJR. The kid just needs to a chance to grow.

tredigs
05-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Many people said the same thing about OPJR. The kid just needs to a chance to grow.

OK? But as is he is still pretty terrible, and playing him more minutes this season would have done the Wizards no good is my point. I cringed every time he got the ball. His BBIQ is just...

hugepatsfan
05-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Bench depth cost them the series vs. BOS but to avoid the same fate everyone else who played CLE had to face WAS doesn't just need more depth. They need another star to go with it. And they don't really have assets to trade for a star so it's gotta be FA. Cousins is the guy for them. As discussed in the other thread they can pull it off but it's going to require no more financial committments beyond this year sine they'll already need to dump Gortat/Mahinimi an dpotentially Jason Smith.

They could try to keep Otto Porter and then if Cousins does work out they can move him. But that is risky because he's going to get $25M (someone will offer him a max, probably BRK). That would take WAS out of the running for Cousins if they can't dump that. The teams are catching up to the cap to where there aren't a ton of teams with that kind of room and the ones who do are probably aiming higher than Otto Porter in most cases. It'd be kind of risky to keep him with the intention of later dumping him for Cousins.

To lose Porter would only add to the need for depth. And if they're preserving space while only handing out cheap 1 year deals, how do they land premium depth when those cheap guys can find better spots. This is the dilemma that so many teams find themselves in with today's NBA landscape. How do you make moderate short-term improvements while still leaving the flexibility for the big moves you need? It's very difficult. If WAS spends long-term money on depth pieces they're just going to get smoked by CLE the next few years.

da ThRONe
05-29-2017, 02:46 PM

The problem is the cap space and if they keep Porter they really are cap strapped.

da ThRONe
05-29-2017, 02:52 PM
I don't have a problem with him saying it so long as he is critical to them in person. Really everybody knew the bench was a huge problem. Gortat called out the bench earlier in the season. They had no spacing. Only Two players on the bench shot above the league average 36% Marcus Thornton was close @35%.

tredigs
05-29-2017, 02:53 PM
Bench depth cost them the series vs. BOS but to avoid the same fate everyone else who played CLE had to face WAS doesn't just need more depth. They need another star to go with it. And they don't really have assets to trade for a star so it's gotta be FA. Cousins is the guy for them. As discussed in the other thread they can pull it off but it's going to require no more financial committments beyond this year sine they'll already need to dump Gortat/Mahinimi an dpotentially Jason Smith.

They could try to keep Otto Porter and then if Cousins does work out they can move him. But that is risky because he's going to get $25M (someone will offer him a max, probably BRK). That would take WAS out of the running for Cousins if they can't dump that. The teams are catching up to the cap to where there aren't a ton of teams with that kind of room and the ones who do are probably aiming higher than Otto Porter in most cases. It'd be kind of risky to keep him with the intention of later dumping him for Cousins.

To lose Porter would only add to the need for depth. And if they're preserving space while only handing out cheap 1 year deals, how do they land premium depth when those cheap guys can find better spots. This is the dilemma that so many teams find themselves in with today's NBA landscape. How do you make moderate short-term improvements while still leaving the flexibility for the big moves you need? It's very difficult. If WAS spends long-term money on depth pieces they're just going to get smoked by CLE the next few years.

Porter's a huge dilemma. Admittedly I have no clue what I would do in their shoes there. Hopefully they can acquire some veteran depth on a discount, but that will be more likely if they don't retain Porter and hit on a bigger free agent (Cousins for sure being an option) instead. It's not an easy job to be sure.

FOXHOUND
05-30-2017, 04:45 AM
So he's saying that Bojan Bodganovic should have played less? Or Otto Porter? Or Bradley Beal? I don't think John Wall understands how rotations work but you can only play five players at one time. :confused:

Really, somebody went 0-11 down the stretch of game 7.

IndyRealist
05-30-2017, 01:32 PM
So he's saying that Bojan Bodganovic should have played less? Or Otto Porter? Or Bradley Beal? I don't think John Wall understands how rotations work but you can only play five players at one time. :confused:

Really, somebody went 0-11 down the stretch of game 7.

Oubre really did nothing better than Porter. The only way to work it would be to sit Morris and have Porter be an even smaller PF. While I've been saying all year Morris is the weak link, I don't think Oubre buys you much of anything.

hugepatsfan
05-30-2017, 01:51 PM
I don't think Morris is a weak link. He's just miscast as their #3 player. That's not a role he should be in.

Their bench is holding them back in the small picture but big picture they need another star. Cousins is a must for them if they want to compete for titles (or some other star but he seems the guy that's realistic for them). If that means taking a step back this year by letting Porter go and not being able to address their bench depth then so be it.

da ThRONe
05-30-2017, 02:35 PM
I don't think Morris is a weak link. He's just miscast as their #3 player. That's not a role he should be in.

Their bench is holding them back in the small picture but big picture they need another star. Cousins is a must for them if they want to compete for titles (or some other star but he seems the guy that's realistic for them). If that means taking a step back this year by letting Porter go and not being able to address their bench depth then so be it.

I agree with this. Porter is a solid starter and at best 4th or 5th ooption. You don't max those guys out and win in this league anyways. They should be patient and wait for Cousins and just take their best shot at landing him. I'd start calling our front office about a potential Porter for Cousins sign and trade.

Bostonjorge
05-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Wall should of never made all nba 3rd team over Irving.

hugepatsfan
05-30-2017, 02:45 PM
I agree with this. Porter is a solid starter and at best 4th or 5th ooption. You don't max those guys out and win in this league anyways. They should be patient and wait for Cousins and just take their best shot at landing him. I'd start calling our front office about a potential Porter for Cousins sign and trade.

That would be most ideal. You get Cousins a year early and it alleviates the issue of having to give up assets to dump Mahinmi's salary (and honestly, even though overpaid he's a fine backup center).

Issue is I don't know that they have the other assets needed. I doubt NO does a one for one trade of Porter for Cousins. And it's not like WAS has any other young pieces or particularly valuable 1st round picks. Would NO take Porter and a bunch of late 1sts for Cousins after giving up a lottery pick for him? Doubtful IMO, though you'd know better.

I bet WAS could flip Gortat to a 3rd team for something to add to the package but it wouldn't be anything major.

Westbrook36
05-30-2017, 03:24 PM
That would be most ideal. You get Cousins a year early and it alleviates the issue of having to give up assets to dump Mahinmi's salary (and honestly, even though overpaid he's a fine backup center).

Issue is I don't know that they have the other assets needed. I doubt NO does a one for one trade of Porter for Cousins. And it's not like WAS has any other young pieces or particularly valuable 1st round picks. Would NO take Porter and a bunch of late 1sts for Cousins after giving up a lottery pick for him? Doubtful IMO, though you'd know better.

I bet WAS could flip Gortat to a 3rd team for something to add to the package but it wouldn't be anything major.

Wonder if the Kings would have accepted a 1st + Porter (Who is about to turn only 24) + something else for Cousins during the deadline. Washington likely didn't attempt because of chemistry and the strong season they were having..but long term given the cap situation they are in and the need for another star they should have.

da ThRONe
05-30-2017, 07:15 PM

No I think we're "riding or dying" with the double big offense. And if that fails we'll just lose Cousins to free agency. Demps knows he's on the hot seat and can't afford to deploy a long term plan. Now if we start the season out poorly and Boogie appears to be frustrated maybe we take what we can get. I think there's no way we trade Cousins this offseason. If we do make some blockbuster trade I'd look to Boston if they decide to get a little loose with all their assets.

EAGLES3658
05-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Wall should of never made all nba 3rd team over Irving.

Oh he absolutely should have.

FOXHOUND
05-31-2017, 12:37 AM
Oubre really did nothing better than Porter. The only way to work it would be to sit Morris and have Porter be an even smaller PF. While I've been saying all year Morris is the weak link, I don't think Oubre buys you much of anything.

Yeah I could have included his name but I think you're right in that Oubre doesn't really bring you anything you're lacking.

FOXHOUND
05-31-2017, 12:40 AM

This is why their offseason decisions last year were a disaster. They signed Mahinmi and Smith for $21M. Those panic signings killed their FA chances. They should be out in the market chasing Blake Griffin right now with Morris becoming either a 6th man or trade bait at a very nice $8M.

LA_Raiders
05-31-2017, 12:58 AM
He is a hell of a player, but a **** as a leader.

IndyRealist
05-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Wonder if the Kings would have accepted a 1st + Porter (Who is about to turn only 24) + something else for Cousins during the deadline. Washington likely didn't attempt because of chemistry and the strong season they were having..but long term given the cap situation they are in and the need for another star they should have.

Apparently Sacramento's target was Buddy Hield. And he's played significantly better for the Kings, so they weren't necessarily wrong.

IndyRealist
05-31-2017, 09:43 AM
This is why their offseason decisions last year were a disaster. They signed Mahinmi and Smith for $21M. Those panic signings killed their FA chances. They should be out in the market chasing Blake Griffin right now with Morris becoming either a 6th man or trade bait at a very nice $8M.

Ian Mahimni was very good for them when he wasn't injured. I just don't see spending that much on a backup. Unless the plan was to move Gortat and it fell through, Mahimni didn't make sense. He should be a defensive starting center somewhere.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-31-2017, 10:25 AM
They should trade him for Melo quickly, before the Knicks change their mind.

But in all seriousness, even if he's right, this probably isnt the way for a leader to act.

da ThRONe
05-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Ian Mahimni was very good for them when he wasn't injured. I just don't see spending that much on a backup. Unless the plan was to move Gortat and it fell through, Mahimni didn't make sense. He should be a defensive starting center somewhere.

It's almost mindboggling how many obviously bad decisions GM and team presidents make. Just throwing around money like this isn't a salary cap league. There's talk of Caldwell-Pope getting a max contract. His skill set is limited and his shooting number are well below league average for this year and career.

Washington has to move Gortat and even Marcin has come out and questioned his place with the team. The bench is weak because they lack shooting from the wing positions outside of Bodanovic whom they probably can't afford to re-sign and doesn't play any defense. Washington needs another star scorer to take pressure off Wall and Beal and can allow Brooks to leave at least of one of 3 scorers on the court at all times. Giving Porter a max is crazy. Too many times the C's were able to leave IT on Otto and he couldn't or didn't make them pay. That's not a max player.

Outside of a Cousins trade which I can't see my Pelicans trading him I think Carmelo would be the best available trade option. I could see Anthony being talked into the DC team and market.

BKLYNpigeon
05-31-2017, 10:40 AM
John Wall, best PG in the East.

BKLYNpigeon
05-31-2017, 10:46 AM

Wall just got tired and worn out. Took the Celtics to 7. If they won we would have a completely different discussion right now.

Wall is t wrong with what he said. The bench was garbage, Mahimi was an awful signing. He's just putting pressure on the Front Office to get more help and make better decisions.

It's exactly like what lebron said, We need a playmaker on this team.

papipapsmanny
06-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Surprised that people think Wall talks a lot of **** he is actually fairly quiet and humble in interview. He stated the obvious. The bench was absolutely awful all year, especially whatever PG they had come in for Wall. Even Gortat really called them out saying they were terrible at the beginning of the year.

Oubre should have played more because he is very good defensively and that was also causing the Wizards to lose, bad defense. Oubre has more potential than Porter you will probably see that over the next two years.

Porter is not a max player... at all. If you can somehow sign and trade Porter for Cousins... you do it. Maybe even try putting Gortat in that deal (who has a friendly contract).

Porter isn't a Max player, Wizards need to find a way out of Mahimmi.