PDA

View Full Version : Calling it now. Cousins to Washington

j-bay
05-28-2017, 07:57 PM
In the NBA, we are always waiting for the next big power move. This years free agency class, while having some big time rumors like Chris Paul to the Spurs and Hayward to the Celtics, is weaker then next years class. While George to the Lakers is the big one people are talking about, there is one that is going under radar. DeMarcus Cousins is a big time Free Agent but his stock might be hurt by his personality. There will be many teams still after him, but there is one team i see as the leader, and that is the Wizards. Why you might ask? Because they have the one guy in the league that knows what makes Cousins tick. And that John Wall. With Gortat wanting out and Wall wanting answers before he signs a new contract, the Zards could move Gortat,take an off year, and sign Wall's buddy next offseason to give Wall a reason to resign. If Wall decides he wants to resign, then Cousins follow.

GREATNESS ONE
05-28-2017, 08:04 PM
I think Cousins goes to LAL, just my gut feeling. Just me though and still a lot to happen this off-season like finding a way to unload Mozgov or Deng.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Cousins can make a lot more staying where he is.

hugepatsfan
05-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Solid chance of happening IMO.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/cap/2018/

The Wizards in active contracts are about $99M in active contracts dead money for the offseason Cousins is a FA. The projected cap is $103M which means they have about $4M of cap space. Cousins' max would be 30% of the cap, or $30.9M. WAS should be able to easily find a taker for Gortat's last year. They'd have to add some assets but I bet they could find a taker for the 2 years and over $30M on Mahninmi's deal. That should get them to about $33.5M on a rough calculation, though there are some cap holds. So it will be very close to a full max for them. They could probably clear the $5M on Jason Smith's final year if they had to.

Finding someone to take Mahinmi might be tough but if they are willing to throw in enough should be doable. If they keep Porter this offseason they will also need to salary dump him next year. But again I think that's doable.

Wall
Beal
Oubre
Morris
Cousins

In order to accomplish this though it does mean they have to avoid any multi-year deals this offseason. If they had better bench pieces they'd probably have made the ECF and ignoring multi-year deals probably means that will be the case again next year. Not to mention the tough call on Otto Porter. But if WAS really commits to Cousins I think it's possible and if he's as close with Wall as rumors say it should be the favorite to land him.

j-bay
05-28-2017, 08:29 PM
If your looking at Cousins most likely team up its Wall and Cousins. Look it up. The Wizards are running out of time to try convince Wall to stay. He would stay if Cousins came in. And know the friendship he and Wall has, Cousins would come in.

FlashBolt
05-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Interior, check.
Exterior, check.

He's perfect for the Wizards. Would certainly make them legitimate title contenders and possibly end LeBron's Finals streak.

More-Than-Most
05-29-2017, 12:29 AM
Or.... Wall could just wait and go sign with the pelicans and play with AD/Cousins. If I am wall I am going that route.

Wall wont do this.. He cries a ton about how much others make... he aint taking a pay cut

europagnpilgrim
05-29-2017, 01:51 AM
If the Celtics were serious about contending they could throw a serious monkey wrench in these plans because they have the assets to get it done, easily

If I were Cousins i would look at the Lakers/C's/Wizards and possibly Rockets with that free flow style and his ability to shoot 3's and get down and dirty in the paint come postseason where the game gets more physical and stagnant, if the Pelicans are serious about building a contender then he should consider that first and foremost because a talent like AD is something special(when healthy)

JLynn943
05-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Cuz and Wall have both said in the past how they'd love to play on the same team again. Wouldn't shock me at all.

Quinnsanity
05-29-2017, 02:29 AM
If the Celtics were serious about contending they could throw a serious monkey wrench in these plans because they have the assets to get it done, easily

If I were Cousins i would look at the Lakers/C's/Wizards and possibly Rockets with that free flow style and his ability to shoot 3's and get down and dirty in the paint come postseason where the game gets more physical and stagnant, if the Pelicans are serious about building a contender then he should consider that first and foremost because a talent like AD is something special(when healthy)

Celtics aren't a realistic Cousins destination. Their cap space expires this summer. Next year they have to re-sign Isaiah, Bradley and Smart (or some combination of that trio). That will eat up all of their space. That's why they're trying to spend their money this year. If they aren't able to, they'll use their space to extend Isaiah now so they can save money on the back end of that contract.

Or.... Wall could just wait and go sign with the pelicans and play with AD/Cousins. If I am wall I am going that route.

Wall wont do this.. He cries a ton about how much others make... he aint taking a pay cut

Wall isn't a free agent until 2019. He'd have to wait two years. Cousins is also presumably angry at the Pellies for robbing him of the super max he would've signed next summer by paying him. Hell, the Pellies won't even have the money unless they move someone. Before you even consider a potential Jrue Holiday extension (kind of important if you want to convince Cousins you're good enough as a team for him to say), the Pellies would have $27 million on the books for Davis, something like $33 million for Cousins, and another $32 million for Moore/Hill/Asik combined. Where is the max cap space there? You'd have to trade two of the bad contract group to create meaningful space AND they'd have to lose Holiday and presumably suck for two years.

The Wizards would only have to sacrifice Porter as far as next year's team goes and could get Cousins a year earlier. They're a much more stable organization in a better market that doesn't have to answer philosophical basketball questions like "can you win a title built around two big men anymore?" Washington just makes more sense. They'd basically have to let Porter go this summer (and hope Oubre can replace him as a starter), then move Mahinmi and Gortat next summer. Neither of those things will be easy, but they're both doable. Washington just makes more sense.

More-Than-Most
05-29-2017, 02:38 AM
the celtics really need to pick up the pace... the wizards/bucks could be really scary really fast with a team like the sixers waiting in the wings if embiid can stay healthy

tp13baby
05-29-2017, 06:39 AM
Pretty sure they would have to move on from Otto and that by itself makes them worse. Pelicans very well may be better off

j-bay
05-29-2017, 11:36 AM
Pretty sure they would have to move on from Otto and that by itself makes them worse. Pelicans very well may be better off

They do got a good backup in Oubre. Brooks is good in developing young talent.

hugepatsfan
05-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Celtics aren't a realistic Cousins destination. Their cap space expires this summer. Next year they have to re-sign Isaiah, Bradley and Smart (or some combination of that trio). That will eat up all of their space. That's why they're trying to spend their money this year. If they aren't able to, they'll use their space to extend Isaiah now so they can save money on the back end of that contract.

Wall isn't a free agent until 2019. He'd have to wait two years. Cousins is also presumably angry at the Pellies for robbing him of the super max he would've signed next summer by paying him. Hell, the Pellies won't even have the money unless they move someone. Before you even consider a potential Jrue Holiday extension (kind of important if you want to convince Cousins you're good enough as a team for him to say), the Pellies would have $27 million on the books for Davis, something like $33 million for Cousins, and another $32 million for Moore/Hill/Asik combined. Where is the max cap space there? You'd have to trade two of the bad contract group to create meaningful space AND they'd have to lose Holiday and presumably suck for two years.

The Wizards would only have to sacrifice Porter as far as next year's team goes and could get Cousins a year earlier. They're a much more stable organization in a better market that doesn't have to answer philosophical basketball questions like "can you win a title built around two big men anymore?" Washington just makes more sense. They'd basically have to let Porter go this summer (and hope Oubre can replace him as a starter), then move Mahinmi and Gortat next summer. Neither of those things will be easy, but they're both doable. Washington just makes more sense.

BOS can preserve the cap space one more year. They'll need to let 2 of IT/Bradley/Smart walk and then, depending on which one they keep and where the BRK pick ends up they might need to dump Crowder as well. I did some very rough calculations and if the BRK pick ends up #6 and they keep IT over Bradley/Smart (his cap hold is the least). This also accounts for them bringing over #23 pick last year Ante Zizic for this season and #16 Guershon Yabusele for the 2018 season.

IT/Fultz (this would probably eventually get switched)
Brown
Crowder
Horford/Yabusele
Zizic

Plus BRK's pick, plus our own 1st round pick.

I don't think that's a super appealing core to a max player UNLESS Fultz/Brown/Zizic all have outstanding seasons next year flashing real ability to go with IT/Horford continuing to be very good players and Crowder being a good, solid piece as he has been. Just pointing out that they can preserve the max cap space one more year without entirely gutting the roster.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-30-2017, 05:46 PM
I think the Celtics got desperate wrong time. Meaning Horford seems like a waste of money. Celtics should of just traded for a star already. Now its time to almost blow it up. Celtics got 3 guys on bargain bin deals that wont stay cheap for long as in IT, Bradley, Crowder. Fultz and Brown will be nice pieces besides maybe them Euro stash pieces coming over. Celtics are at a crossroads.

mrblisterdundee
05-30-2017, 07:22 PM
Washington will certainly be a top suitor of things don't work out in New Orleans. Porter seems like a keeper, but I don't see how they do that if Cousins signs with Washington. They already have Morris, so I guess that would cover them at power forward.

Chapin78
05-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Cousins could stay in New Orleans. The duo of him and AD is intriguing for any player to sign as a FA and add (much down the road) another max type of player and New Orleans makes a match up nightmare for teams. They need a solid wing player and a couple of shooters and they could make some noise next season. AD is getting his money from NOLA and isn't going anywhere.

D Blue987
05-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Lakers will be in on him in 2018 if he isnt dealt by then. They have been in on him many times in the past but SAC never really wanted to deal him to the lakers which is understandable considering the division rivalry and history.

tp13baby
05-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Lakers will be in on him in 2018 if he isnt dealt by then. They have been in on him many times in the past but SAC never really wanted to deal him to the lakers which is understandable considering the division rivalry and history.

They can choose Cousins or PG13 cause they only getting 1. Not both.

europagnpilgrim
05-30-2017, 10:50 PM

you could be right about Cousins not being a C's destination because based on Ainge not wanting to give up those picks/assets nobody is really a destination there, I just threw it out there because if Cousins makes it clear he isn't re signing with Pelicans then Celtics could offer a real good deal which could be better than what most teams could offer and the Pelicans need backcourt help which the C's could offer a package of IT/Smart/+picks for Cousins if it drafts one of those two Guards that seem to be going 1/2

Jamiecballer
05-30-2017, 10:54 PM
Logistically it makes sense but it's not necessarily a safe bet to assume that Washington's management would view pairing Cousins with his buddy a great risk to take.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Vinylman
05-31-2017, 11:32 AM
If your looking at Cousins most likely team up its Wall and Cousins. Look it up. The Wizards are running out of time to try convince Wall to stay. He would stay if Cousins came in. And know the friendship he and Wall has, Cousins would come in.

convince wall to stay? dude is signing a massive extension before next season... you can bank on that

j-bay
05-31-2017, 11:40 AM
convince wall to stay? dude is signing a massive extension before next season... you can bank on that

From league sources close to the situation, Wall wants to see a bigger picture plan on where the franchise is headed before committing for longer. The Wizards won 49 games this season and advanced to the conference semifinals for the third time in four years.

The salary cap for 2017-18 is projected to be almost double of what it was four years ago at $101 million. Before settling on what to do with Porter's contract, the Wizards have to figure out if they can lock in their best player and go from there in the offseason.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-hope-sign-john-wall-contract-extension-offseason

Vinylman
05-31-2017, 11:51 AM
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/wizards-hope-sign-john-wall-contract-extension-offseason

smfh

what else was he going to say so he can get the leverage he wants for the most money...

I will bet whatever you want that he will sign an extension ..

only reason he won't will be he dies or gets in trouble with the law