PDA

View Full Version : Best Fit For Lamarcus Aldridge?

Wade n Fade
05-28-2017, 05:28 PM
What possible trade partner makes the most sense for Lamarcus Aldridge? Could San Antonio just move him in an "addition by subtraction" move to get the most assets while his value is low to get out of his contract? Or could the LA experiment work with more time? This post season wasn't encouraging.

hugepatsfan
05-28-2017, 05:41 PM
He's not an addition by subtraction guy. If they want CP3 though letting him go is probably the realistic move they need to make in which case he's worth being moved.

I think MIA is a good spot for him next to Whiteside because he prefers playing PF and they had interest in the past. It's tough though for him to stay at PF in today's small ball NBA but I think it can work.

Wade n Fade
05-28-2017, 05:44 PM
He's not an addition by subtraction guy. If they want CP3 though letting him go is probably the realistic move they need to make in which case he's worth being moved.

I think MIA is a good spot for him next to Whiteside because he prefers playing PF and they had interest in the past. It's tough though for him to stay at PF in today's small ball NBA but I think it can work.

Miami wouldn't want to take a chance because of his heart concerns. Especially after Bosh's situation. His contract is an albatross for many teams. I don't think Pop would ideally keep him. If they can somehow convince CP3 and Blake to take less $ while clearing out bad contracts, anything is possible for San Antonio.

Quinnsanity
05-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Miami wouldn't want to take a chance because of his heart concerns. Especially after Bosh's situation. His contract is an albatross for many teams. I don't think Pop would ideally keep him. If they can somehow convince CP3 and Blake to take less $ while clearing out bad contracts, anything is possible for San Antonio.

His contract is for one year and $21 million. That's not an albatross. Chandler Parsons for three extra years and 3.5 times the total money is an albatross. Aldridge is making market value for one year.

His value is realistically a mid-first round pick on the trade market. There are a few teams in that range of the draft pick, cap space and inclination to trade for him. Chicago could find someone to take Robin Lopez's deal for free and then trade No. 16. If Atlanta feels they are going to lose Paul Millsap they could give the Spurs No. 19 for Aldridge to replace him on a short term basis. And Portland has both No. 15 and No. 20, and their contracts are small enough to move in multiple transactions to make it work if they wanted an Aldridge reunion. It's feasible is what I'm saying. Aldridge is still a valuable player.

That means that the Spurs probably want to keep him. He'd be a great fit with Chris Paul. Tony Parker and Pau Gasol are the guys to move. Hell, what kind of message does it send to Paul if you trade Aldridge just two years after signing him?

Wade n Fade
05-28-2017, 06:47 PM
His contract is for one year and $21 million. That's not an albatross. Chandler Parsons for three extra years and 3.5 times the total money is an albatross. Aldridge is making market value for one year.

His value is realistically a mid-first round pick on the trade market. There are a few teams in that range of the draft pick, cap space and inclination to trade for him. Chicago could find someone to take Robin Lopez's deal for free and then trade No. 16. If Atlanta feels they are going to lose Paul Millsap they could give the Spurs No. 19 for Aldridge to replace him on a short term basis. And Portland has both No. 15 and No. 20, and their contracts are small enough to move in multiple transactions to make it work if they wanted an Aldridge reunion. It's feasible is what I'm saying. Aldridge is still a valuable player.

That means that the Spurs probably want to keep him. He'd be a great fit with Chris Paul. Tony Parker and Pau Gasol are the guys to move. Hell, what kind of message does it send to Paul if you trade Aldridge just two years after signing him?

Even if it's $21 mill, that's still a lot of cap space for a guy putting up 16 and 7 in the post-season and plays a bit too soft. In their situation, it's an albatross because it takes away a lot of flexibility from the Spurs if they hold onto him and have to pay CP3 big $. They still need to figure out if Patty Mills will stay too. Will Manu and TP retire? If you have LA there, it takes away some flexibility for a guy who doesn't fit as well as others.

Compared to Parsons, it isn't an albatross. But still, LA's deal hangs on the Spurs' necks.

hugepatsfan
05-28-2017, 07:02 PM

If the Spurs stretch Parker, salary dump Gasol, Lee/Dedmon opt out and they renounce Simmons, Mills, Manu... then that gets the Spurs up to $36,385,667 of cap space by my count according to Spotrac. HOWEVER, that does not include empty roster spot holds not does it factor in any 1st round pick cap holds (they currently have #29). Between the roster holds it'd probably end up that CP3 needs to take a few million less than his true max. But let's say he does. Here's what they have:

CP3/Murray
Green/Forbes
Leonard/Bertans
Anderson
LMA

Between their draft pick(s), the room exception and vet min signings they need to add some front court depth but that's a pretty nice start.

Still. the question is, if you're CP3, is that really a team that's going to beat GS? Just look at the top of the roster:

Curry > CP3
Durant > Leonard
Dray. Green > Aldridge
Klay > Danny Green.

Granted, those first two comparisons are close but the next 2 (especially Klay and Danny Green) are easily in GS's favor. And through bird rights GS's going to be able to keep Iggy and Livingston to go with McCaw. Room exception and MLE guys will prefer to GS to SA as well. So realistically, GS still has better top of the roster players and better depth to go with it.

If I'm CP3, I don't leave tens of millions on the table to "chase a ring" if that's the situation. It just isn't good enough to justify it IMO.

lol, please
05-28-2017, 08:03 PM
If the Spurs stretch Parker, salary dump Gasol, Lee/Dedmon opt out and they renounce Simmons, Mills, Manu... then that gets the Spurs up to $36,385,667 of cap space by my count according to Spotrac. HOWEVER, that does not include empty roster spot holds not does it factor in any 1st round pick cap holds (they currently have #29). Between the roster holds it'd probably end up that CP3 needs to take a few million less than his true max. But let's say he does. Here's what they have:

CP3/Murray
Green/Forbes
Leonard/Bertans
Anderson
LMA

Between their draft pick(s), the room exception and vet min signings they need to add some front court depth but that's a pretty nice start.

Still. the question is, if you're CP3, is that really a team that's going to beat GS? Just look at the top of the roster:

Curry > CP3
Durant > Leonard
Dray. Green > Aldridge
Klay > Danny Green.

Granted, those first two comparisons are close but the next 2 (especially Klay and Danny Green) are easily in GS's favor. And through bird rights GS's going to be able to keep Iggy and Livingston to go with McCaw. Room exception and MLE guys will prefer to GS to SA as well. So realistically, GS still has better top of the roster players and better depth to go with it.

If I'm CP3, I don't leave tens of millions on the table to "chase a ring" if that's the situation. It just isn't good enough to justify it IMO.

Great post, good points.

The concerning thing to me about LMA during these playoffs is that he just seemed disinterested. He would play well in spurts but to me the talent and skill is there and I think people will underrate him now but it's an attitude problem it seems, to me.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 08:11 PM
The best fit for Aldridge is playing C for the Spurs. But he doesn't want to play C.

mrblisterdundee
05-28-2017, 09:11 PM
The best fit for Aldridge is playing C for the Spurs. But he doesn't want to play C.
Exactly. Dude's 260 pounds, 6'11" and doesn't shoot threes. It's not rocket science.

sep11ie
05-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Ryan Anderson for LMA right now please!

eDush
05-29-2017, 01:22 AM

CP3/Murray
Green/Forbes
Leonard/Bertans
Anderson
LMA

Curry > CP3
Durant > Leonard
Dray. Green > Aldridge
Klay > Danny Green.

It just mean that you as CP3 is all about the money instead of doing what's best to winning titles (or chasing rings) which he hasn't got one yet and doubt he ever will unlike Duncan and Dirk who both took less to bring in more talent to win titles. Whether he will take less to bring in more talent for LAC will tell me what kind of person he really is other than the loyalty to his coach and Clippers fans whether they are genuine or as an excuse to stay to get more money.

Well we already know what your intentions would be when speaking for/as CP3 which is greed above all :(

More-Than-Most
05-29-2017, 01:48 AM
It just mean that you as CP3 is all about the money instead of doing what's best to winning titles (or chasing rings) which he hasn't got one yet and doubt he ever will unlike Duncan and Dirk who both took less to bring in more talent to win titles. Whether he will take less to bring in more talent for LAC will tell me what kind of person he really is other than the loyalty to his coach and Clippers fans whether they are genuine or as an excuse to stay to get more money.

Well we already know what your intentions would be when speaking for/as CP3 which is greed above all :(

Dirk is a bad example... Not hard to take less when you know your owner will cover you when on the decline... see his recent contract

Quinnsanity
05-29-2017, 02:33 AM

CP3/Murray
Green/Forbes
Leonard/Bertans
Anderson
LMA

Curry > CP3
Durant > Leonard
Dray. Green > Aldridge
Klay > Danny Green.

I don't think it's as simple as saying "the Warriors' stars are better than San Antonio's." First of all, Popovich is involved here, and even with a healthy Kerr the coaching gap there is rather enormous. Second, there's far less question about how the crunch time offense operates. There's not going to be any jawing out of San Antonio's locker room about not running enough of this or that. Third, again, this is the Spurs. Are you really prepared to bet they won't find other meaningful players off of the scrap heap? The room exception got them Dedmon last year who's going to get close to starter money this offseason. And finally, Curry might be better than CP3, but you'd definitely feel better about CP3 guarding Curry than vice versa. The Warriors are probably favored in that series, but it's a lot closer than you're making it out to be.

eDush
05-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Dirk is a bad example... Not hard to take less when you know your owner will cover you when on the decline... see his recent contract
It still a good example cause he took less when his team felt they still had a chance to compete for a championship if they had enough money to sign or keep key players, so he sacrificed to make it happen. With the recent big jump in salary cap and they can no longer compete, it's a no brainer decision which CP3 should follow as well when he/team can no longer compete.

They're not the Spurs where competing for championships is sustainable...
:no:

eDush
05-29-2017, 09:35 AM
I don't think it's as simple as saying "the Warriors' stars are better than San Antonio's." First of all, Popovich is involved here, and even with a healthy Kerr the coaching gap there is rather enormous. Second, there's far less question about how the crunch time offense operates. There's not going to be any jawing out of San Antonio's locker room about not running enough of this or that. Third, again, this is the Spurs. Are you really prepared to bet they won't find other meaningful players off of the scrap heap? The room exception got them Dedmon last year who's going to get close to starter money this offseason. And finally, Curry might be better than CP3, but you'd definitely feel better about CP3 guarding Curry than vice versa. The Warriors are probably favored in that series, but it's a lot closer than you're making it out to be.
I think his whole argument is CP3 won't leave money on the table regardless of all the other so called reasons he laid out. I personally doubt he leave not due to money but on flexibility where he would insist on using his creativity and instinct on running an offense where it might not be possible under Pop, who had to agree to not use LMA as a center in order to sign him which they might be regretting now as it would be his ideal position to take advantage of his inside post game against centers which is why he spurned the Knicks :nod:

Chronz
05-29-2017, 03:40 PM
Without LMA there is no CP3. He desperately wants a PnP big back

Heediot
05-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Not too sure about BK's cap situation. One option is to salary dump Gasol + Parker to BK, throw them a first, and take back a future 2nd in return. that clears up like over 30 million.

JordansBulls
05-29-2017, 11:29 PM
Portland or Chicago.

smith&wesson
05-30-2017, 12:23 AM
Raptors?

hugepatsfan
05-30-2017, 10:02 AM

I have the utmost respect for Pop and SA. But I also seem to respect the Warriors a lot more than you. You mention that SA can find pieces on the cheap as role players. Well like I said GS will be able to keep Iggy and Livingston. They have McCaw. They do a tremendous job drafting late. They have a pretty proven track record of landing pieces on the cheap. They have better supporting pieces to stop and they're going to be the option #1 for those vet min/scrap heap/ring chasers over SA with their success. I wasn't just saying they have better stars. I think they have better stars and better depth. And with their success I think we're past the point of questioning who takes the last shot for them. This is a juggernaut team with amazing ball movement and chemistry.

Now I am NOT saying SA couldn't possible beat them. But on paper with that team I put together for them it's still pretty long odds. CP3 would be leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table to go there and I don't feel those are good enough odds where he should do that for the sake of ring chasing.

Wade n Fade
05-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Raptors?

Ibaka is probably coming back. J-Val is likely to get traded to add another wing or a better offensive big. Though, J-Val is not worth trading for LA.

warfelg
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
I actually think Philly would be all over a Parker/Gasol/1st salary dump for 2 2nds/Okafor.

Wade n Fade
05-30-2017, 11:28 AM
I actually think Philly would be all over a Parker/Gasol/1st salary dump for 2 2nds/Okafor.

Would that include Lowry going to Philly via UFA and then buying out Parker and Gasol?

warfelg
05-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Would that include Lowry going to Philly via UFA and then buying out Parker and Gasol?

No. But having 2 guys who understand Pops system coming to us would be invaluable.

So I can see them taking on that salary dump and keeping them around, sending out Gasol mid season.

kdspurman
06-01-2017, 09:49 PM

Yea it's never that simple as going position by position to say who would win. It's possible Kawhi would be the best player on the court overall too.

I believe even with their holes they had a chance this year. I expect them to make necessary adjustments for next season. Pop and RC won't want to waste Kawhi's prime.

Wade n Fade
06-02-2017, 10:24 AM
No. But having 2 guys who understand Pops system coming to us would be invaluable.

So I can see them taking on that salary dump and keeping them around, sending out Gasol mid season.

Talk about a low point for Pau and Parker. From playing for championships to being mentors. I want Parker to retire a Spur because playing for 1 franchise is rarer and rarer these days.

eDush
06-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Talk about a low point for Pau and Parker. From playing for championships to being mentors. I want Parker to retire a Spur because playing for 1 franchise is rarer and rarer these days.Trading Parker is no different than trading Gino or Duncan as they won so many together. Pop will NEVER allow that special trio to leave as they will be remembered as Spurs legends once all is said and done like Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett :nod: