PDA

View Full Version : Fix All-Star Weekend

Scoots
05-27-2017, 10:33 PM
The game is terrible, and the contests around it are more often boring than interesting.

I suggest the contests go into a regular rotation.

Change to every other year the dunk contest, the 3 point shootout, the skill contest.

Add some new contests - suggestions:
- 1 v 1 single elimination tournament with the all-stars (first to 20 or 10 minutes whichever comes first). Kyrie vs LeBron could be interesting.
- 3 v 3 single elimination tournament with the all-stars, top 4 vote getters in each conference are captains and draft their teams from all remaining all-stars (first to 20 or 10 minutes whichever comes first). Imagine Curry having to choose which 2 teammates to have on his team and which to leave out.
- 3 v 3 single elimination tournament with each all-star a captain and drafting from the rest of the NBA (first to 20 or 10 minutes whichever comes first). LeBron could assemble his banana boat.
- Big man shooting contest.
- Bring back the legends game.
- 1 v 1 dunk contest (with defense).

Fix the big game:
- Add the top 3 defensive players by vote to the teams of each conference to bring the roster to 15 players each, and set a minimum minutes limit per player (10 minutes?) so the defenders actually get in the game. If any of the top 3 defenders are already on the team then the next top vote getter gets in to fill the rosters.
- Have the fans vote only for the top player of each conference (or top 2 or top 3), then those players draft the rest of their team from their conferences.
- Pay big money to the winners. At least $1M.

General changes:
- All participants should be mic'd, bonus stream the audio from every mic so viewers can listen to whoever they want or listen to what the director assembles/edits.
- Do not allow players being paid within 5% of the maximum to opt out of a contest they are invited to.
- Find a role for at least one player from every team.

Thoughts?

Federal Reserve
05-27-2017, 11:00 PM
The problem has nothing to do with a lack of creativity on Adam's part; he has probably considered most of these ideas. The problem is that the players have no incentive to take part in any of these events. The players want to relax and have fun, not play more intense basketball. Like one all-star player said (I forgot who), the all-star game was super competitive back in the day because the players weren't earning as much and winning the game would earn them extra money. With the salaries the all-star players are earning now, no one is going to do anything that requires extra effort on his part.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-27-2017, 11:04 PM
If they want to spice it up, have a Legends game. Some of the best players of all time competing. Even if they are 50 or 60 years old I would watch.

Imagine having Jordan suit up at 54 and go up Bird who is 60? Or see Shaq go up against Hakeem all over again. It would be terrible basketball and we would never be able to keep our eyes off of it.

GREATNESS ONE
05-27-2017, 11:32 PM
If they want to spice it up, have a Legends game. Some of the best players of all time competing. Even if they are 50 or 60 years old I would watch.

Imagine having Jordan suit up at 54 and go up Bird who is 60? Or see Shaq go up against Hakeem all over again. It would be terrible basketball and we would never be able to keep our eyes off of it.

The real question is will you or will you not have your pants on?

da ThRONe
05-28-2017, 12:42 AM
I'd go the baseball route and place the Finals home court on the line. 4 Warriors and 3 Cavs were in the all-star game you think if home court for the chip is at stake they aren't going harder. Also I think ultimately like everything in the NBA the All-star weekend would benefit greatly from a reduced number of games. Guys are starting to feel the grind of the NBA season by February and are just trying to make it to the post season uninjured.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 08:35 AM
The problem has nothing to do with a lack of creativity on Adam's part; he has probably considered most of these ideas. The problem is that the players have no incentive to take part in any of these events. The players want to relax and have fun, not play more intense basketball. Like one all-star player said (I forgot who), the all-star game was super competitive back in the day because the players weren't earning as much and winning the game would earn them extra money. With the salaries the all-star players are earning now, no one is going to do anything that requires extra effort on his part.

Which is why I said to pay them big to win.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Which is why I said to bring back the legends game.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 08:40 AM
I'd go the baseball route and place the Finals home court on the line. 4 Warriors and 3 Cavs were in the all-star game you think if home court for the chip is at stake they aren't going harder. Also I think ultimately like everything in the NBA the All-star weekend would benefit greatly from a reduced number of games. Guys are starting to feel the grind of the NBA season by February and are just trying to make it to the post season uninjured.

I don't want the home court decided by players not on the teams participating. It's dumb in baseball it would be worse in basketball.

The grind is a valid point ... maybe have the all-stars only play the game and reduce their commitment to the other 3 days of events and fill them with a secondary group of "star" players?

da ThRONe
05-28-2017, 11:59 AM
I don't want the home court decided by players not on the teams participating. It's dumb in baseball it would be worse in basketball.

The grind is a valid point ... maybe have the all-stars only play the game and reduce their commitment to the other 3 days of events and fill them with a secondary group of "star" players?

That's the only way you'll get guys to play hard otherwise it'll be more of the same. Money won't do it they already make a ton and pride and/or respect for the game isn't doing it. There has to be something meaningful at stake or these guys will coast and it will be a charity game every year.

mrblisterdundee
05-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Let's give LaVar his shot at Jordan.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 02:10 PM
That's the only way you'll get guys to play hard otherwise it'll be more of the same. Money won't do it they already make a ton and pride and/or respect for the game isn't doing it. There has to be something meaningful at stake or these guys will coast and it will be a charity game every year.

I said $1M per player for the winner ... that's real money to those guys. LeBron is playing for less than half that a game at the moment.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Let's give LaVar his shot at Jordan.

Sure ... challenge a legend. You know if the NBA called LaVar would find some excuse why he couldn't make it though

Raps18-19 Champ
05-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Which is why I said to bring back the legends game.

Sorry, I didn't read your post.

But yea, it's something that would get everyone excited. Not sure some of the egotistical guys would ever want to play again knowing they will lose.

warfelg
05-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Adopt a 3v3 tournament a la the NHL.

8 teams. Small courts. 1st to 21 counting by 1 and 2. Bracketed to east and west.

4th in each bracket gets $50k a man
3rd gets $150k a man
2nd gets $300k a man
Winning your side gets $500k a man
Winning overall is an extra $1mil a man.

Scoots
05-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Adopt a 3v3 tournament a la the NHL.

8 teams. Small courts. 1st to 21 counting by 1 and 2. Bracketed to east and west.

4th in each bracket gets $50k a man
3rd gets $150k a man
2nd gets $300k a man
Winning your side gets $500k a man
Winning overall is an extra $1mil a man.

The one I proposed was top 4 vote getters in each conference draft from all remaining players regardless of conference, but yeah that sounds great.

warfelg
05-29-2017, 12:54 PM
The one I proposed was top 4 vote getters in each conference draft from all remaining players regardless of conference, but yeah that sounds great.

NFL did that with the pro bowl and it was a joke.

Mini 3v3 team tournament on small court with two games at once would be awesome.

Could you imagine a future ASG where you could see, say Giannis/Butler/Turner v Embiid/Wall/Derozen and at the same time you got Lillard/Kwahi/Westbrook against Curry/Blake/Booker (projecting some future AS players there).

So people vote on the top 15, teams are created by the GMs, players vote on the 4 best teams. The "last three" in each conference are first injury subs or get decided up with a "last in" player so it's 3v3 with a sub.

Scoots
05-29-2017, 05:08 PM
NFL did that with the pro bowl and it was a joke.

Mini 3v3 team tournament on small court with two games at once would be awesome.

Could you imagine a future ASG where you could see, say Giannis/Butler/Turner v Embiid/Wall/Derozen and at the same time you got Lillard/Kwahi/Westbrook against Curry/Blake/Booker (projecting some future AS players there).

So people vote on the top 15, teams are created by the GMs, players vote on the 4 best teams. The "last three" in each conference are first injury subs or get decided up with a "last in" player so it's 3v3 with a sub.

I was talking about a 3v3 tournament.

Rivera
05-30-2017, 04:39 PM
i would love 3v3 but the owners will never go for a tournament

this is honestly on the players to give effort, cause they dont really care and just want to have fun

might as well make it all the way gimmickly so they can continue to have fun

include a 4 and a 5 point shot

have a live DJ with music all the time, hell have a hype man just talk mad garbage throughout the game and get players hyped for a 1 on 1 iso battle

shorten the quarters down to 8 or 10 minutes