PDA

View Full Version : Who's ranked higher all time, LeBron or Kobe?

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Let's settle this nonsense here......

mrblisterdundee
05-26-2017, 01:21 PM
When will this stupidity stop?

mightybosstone
05-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Haven't we done this poll like a dozen times already? And the last few times, I feel like Lebron ran away with it, no contest. Five years ago, it was a different story. But can we just leave it alone? Does this need to continue to be a thing more than a year after Kobe retired?

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 01:30 PM
I agree it's clearly LeBron but the Charles Barkley **** has some people saying Kobe is better. It's ridiculous, even people in the other thread are saying they'd take Kobe.

BoSox47
05-26-2017, 01:41 PM
I voted Lebron but its closer than most will suggest. Lebron is a better all around player, but I think Kobe was a better shooter/scorer in his prime and better at on ball defending than Lebron. Lebron is just a better all around defender and much better in transition defense than Kobe.

Lebrons also played in the easier conference with at least two other all star players since he went to Miami.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Why is this an actual thread? It's being discussed in the other, and everyone with a brain knows the answer to the question.

mightybosstone
05-26-2017, 02:01 PM
I voted Lebron but its closer than most will suggest. Lebron is a better all around player, but I think Kobe was a better shooter/scorer in his prime and better at on ball defending than Lebron. Lebron is just a better all around defender and much better in transition defense than Kobe.

Lebrons also played in the easier conference with at least two other all star players since he went to Miami.

Lebron is a much, much more efficient scorer than Kobe ever was by a mile. Also, Kobe won the majority of this titles with a top 10 player at his peak and two more titles with a second guaranteed Hall of Famer in Pau. I don't buy that Lebron has played with more talent in his career for a second, and there's no way you could convince me otherwise.

TrueFan420
05-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Lebron is a much, much more efficient scorer than Kobe ever was by a mile. Also, Kobe won the majority of this titles with a top 10 player at his peak and two more titles with a second guaranteed Hall of Famer in Pau. I don't buy that Lebron has played with more talent in his career for a second, and there's no way you could convince me otherwise.

You could make an argument that Lebron has had more talent on his teams top to bottom but Kobe had Shaq who was one of the most dominate forces the leagues seen. And they had great role players. Talent of their cast is irrevelant. Bron is the better player.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 02:15 PM

While Kobe was a gifted scorer, at the end of the day, efficiency is all that matters. I don't care if all a player gets are dunks, if he scores more points per shot attempt, he is better at scoring (when we compare guys with similar per game numbers that is). LeBron was WAY more efficient. Hence, the more impactful scorer.

More help? Meh. LeBron never played with a player of Shaq in his peak caliber at all. I would also put Gasol from his 2 Laker chip years ahead of anyone outside 10-11' Wade that LeBron played with. And are we just tossing LeBron's first 7 seasons away, when he played with a dumpster fire of a roster?

As far as conferences go, I then assume you knock Magic Johnson for the west in the 80's, right?

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Kobe played with peak Shaq, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Robert Horry, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Bynum (was making a name for himself as the 2nd best C) Ron Artest, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, etc. He's had his fair share of talent.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Kobe played with peak Shaq, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Robert Horry, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Bynum (was making a name for himself as the 2nd best C) Ron Artest, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, etc. He's had his fair share of talent.

I mean, half the guys you listed were on Medicaid by the time they played with Kobe haha

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 02:40 PM
I mean, half the guys you listed were on Medicaid by the time they played with Kobe haha

Half lol? Nash sucked due to injury, Malone and Payton were older but they were good players. I believe both were around 18-20 PPG until some injuries hit. The rest of the guys were good.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Half lol? Nash sucked due to injury, Malone and Payton were older but they were good players. I believe both were around 18-20 PPG until some injuries hit. The rest of the guys were good.

Malone and Payton were way past their prime. Malone got hurt that year late anyways. Payton sucked.

I personally feel Fisher, and Fox were underrated, but they weren't what I would call, "great help" either.

****ing Horry. He could be 54 year old, and still come out and crush your soul with a last second bomb. God I hate that guy

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Malone and Payton were way past their prime. Malone got hurt that year late anyways. Payton sucked.

I personally feel Fisher, and Fox were underrated, but they weren't what I would call, "great help" either.

****ing Horry. He could be 54 year old, and still come out and crush your soul with a last second bomb. God I hate that guy

Lol Horry was clutch as ****! Fisher was a very good role player and I agree Fox was underrated. Fisher always hit big shots and played well in big moments so that's why included him, Fox was a solid all around guy. Pair that with Shaq and the others that had and that's a ton of help. Fisher with Odom Bynum Gasol and the solid role players they had were also a ton of help.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Lol Horry was clutch as ****! Fisher was a very good role player and I agree Fox was underrated. Fisher always hit big shots and played well in big moments so that's why included him, Fox was a solid all around guy. Pair that with Shaq and the others that had and that's a ton of help. Fisher with Odom Bynum Gasol and the solid role players they had were also a ton of help.

Fisher was an elite defender at the point of that attack too. He wasn't quite Lindsey Hunter, but Fisher was excellent at disrupting the initial offensive set, and you didn't need to worry about sending help often to his guy on a dribble drive attempt, which is huge.

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Then you have him next to Artest, fresh off Orlando Dwight, and Pau.

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
The biggest one I forgot to mention was DJ Mbenga

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Fisher was an elite defender at the point of that attack too. He wasn't quite Lindsey Hunter, but Fisher was excellent at disrupting the initial offensive set, and you didn't need to worry about sending help often to his guy on a dribble drive attempt, which is huge.

Yea he's a top tier role player imo. Doesn't get much better from just a role player.

FlashBolt
05-26-2017, 02:57 PM
I feel that even most Kobestans have acknowledged that after last year, it was no longer a debate. It stopped being a debate for me three years ago. LeBron is just a better player and has done more than Kobe. Literally the only argument for Kobe is he has more points and two more rings - both are due to being in better circumstances. Even then, Kobe will lose to LeBron in total points by career's end and LeBron isn't even the great scorer Kobe was. Which aspect was Kobe seriously better in? Like, it's more likely LeBron surpasses MJ than LeBron not being ranked higher than Kobe. It's been over.

DanG
05-26-2017, 02:58 PM
Their supporting casts have been pretty equal imo. Both have been surrounded by horrible players and great hall of famers. I'd say this 17' Cavs team is more stacked than the 10' Lakers though. Bynum only was a 7/5 player throughout their championship run in the playoffs. Pau was great, but I'd say Kyrie & Love together are more valuable.

Shaq is by far the best player, but LeBron also played with Bosh and Wade (who at the time was still a top 5 player).

Still think had they met in the 09' playoffs Kobe would've outplayed LeBron just because of the experience and killer instinct. This 17' version of LeBron is much better though and a whole different story. But if you're drafting a team from zero LeBron is the player you want just because of his ability to elevate others.

Kyben36
05-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Kobe, **** lebron, kobe stayed loyal. Layalty may not be worth something to many people, but he didnt win his rings by leaving to go play with studs.

Big Zo
05-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Kobe, **** lebron, kobe stayed loyal. Layalty may not be worth something to many people, but he didnt win his rings by leaving to go play with studs.

... Because he wasn't stuck playing on a crap team, in a crap city. Kobe also was about to sign with the Bulls before he was gifted Pau Gasol.

GREATNESS ONE
05-26-2017, 03:18 PM
they are 5th and 6th.

FlashBolt
05-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Their supporting casts have been pretty equal imo. Both have been surrounded by horrible players and great hall of famers. I'd say this 17' Cavs team is more stacked than the 10' Lakers though. Bynum only was a 7/5 player throughout their championship run in the playoffs. Pau was great, but I'd say Kyrie & Love together are more valuable.

Shaq is by far the best player, but LeBron also played with Bosh and Wade (who at the time was still a top 5 player).

Still think had they met in the 09' playoffs Kobe would've outplayed LeBron just because of the experience and killer instinct. This 17' version of LeBron is much better though and a whole different story. But if you're drafting a team from zero LeBron is the player you want just because of his ability to elevate others.

1) Not equal. Kobe played with Shaq. Literally there were only 2-3 seasons Kobe actually had a terrible team. I'm not going to go past 2011 years because he was past his prime and heading downwards anyways. LeBron kinda wasted valuable seasons with a Cleveland team for seven seasons.
2) It is. But what they're going against is MORE stacked than what Kobe had to face. This Warriors team destroys any Finals team Kobe played against by wide margins.
3) I'd take Pau over Love but Kyrie is a great player. But again, look at what they're going up against. Does Lakers 2010 beat this Warriors team? Hell. No. Curry+KD are more efficient scorers than Kobe, if we're being honest.
4) I would trade a prime Wade and Bosh for a prime Shaq any second of any day.
5) Killer instinct, what? LeBron destroys Kobe in the regular season. I don't think much changes considering Kobe takes that challenge very seriously.

Loyalty means something. So does rape. Kobe raped someone. I might have to exclude him from being one of the greatest.

You see how stupid that sounds?

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 03:20 PM

nope, instead he was furnished the stud before he arrived, and then threatened his team into getting another one.

FlashBolt
05-26-2017, 03:27 PM
nope, instead he was furnished the stud before he arrived, and then threatened his team into getting another one.

I wonder if he thinks Kobe was loyal to his wife.. should we bump him down a bit and outside the top ten because of that?

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 03:58 PM
I wonder if he thinks Kobe was loyal to his wife.. should we bump him down a bit and outside the top ten because of that?

well, he definitely isn't a top 10 husband

GREATNESS ONE
05-26-2017, 03:58 PM
What a kiddo, one day you'll grow up Mijo.

GREATNESS ONE
05-26-2017, 03:59 PM

Lol Hawky, you mean if your girl didn't bring home 25+million a year for you to spend and go on shopping sprees. You wouldn't let her get some random dick once in awhile?

Crackadalic
05-26-2017, 04:02 PM

Do you realize Kobe wanted to get traded to the bulls back in 07?

FlashBolt
05-26-2017, 04:09 PM
What a kiddo, one day you'll grow up Mijo.

Hey, if you let some "kiddo" online personally affect you, you have bigger problems to worry about.

GREATNESS ONE
05-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Hey, if you let some "kiddo" online personally affect you, you have bigger problems to worry about.

Lolololol yea my feelings are really hurt

FlashBolt
05-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Lolololol yea my feelings are really hurt

When you type lolololol, yeah, I can sense some sort of disgust in you. It's a basketball forum. No need for you to stress.

nastynice
05-26-2017, 04:33 PM

Great defense. Too bad he was from an earlier time, but if fisher came a couple years later he would have been the lebron stopper of our era

nastynice
05-26-2017, 04:34 PM
When you type lolololol, yeah, I can sense some sort of disgust in you. It's a basketball forum. No need for you to stress.

lmao, YOU giving advice on people to chill out over basketball!!?!

nastynice
05-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Lol Hawky, you mean if your girl didn't bring home 25+million a year for you to spend and go on shopping sprees. You wouldn't let her get some random dick once in awhile?

lmao! Y'all dudes crazy!

GREATNESS ONE
05-26-2017, 04:45 PM
lmao, YOU giving advice on people to chill out over basketball!!?!

Lol right. He's funny :p

europagnpilgrim
05-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Yea he's a top tier role player imo. Doesn't get much better from just a role player.

this is the thing with 'role' players, they all have a role to play so Fisher and others played a lesser role/supporting actor to the superstar roles played by Shaq/Kobe, just think of it like a Hollywood movie from the star to the director/writer to the make up and stuntman etc.

everybody has a role to play but some bear a larger share of the role being labeled superstar/franchise players

that's another one of the media clichés that I dislike greatly, we all have a role to play even on PSD, some roles are more knowledgeable than others while some play the fanatic role and so forth

I know I may sound like a broken record but this is easy to answer, who would you draft out of those two to start your franchise, you would always pick the best most dominant player in that scenario, always

for me I would pick the guy who plays like Magic/Kidd and can score when pressed/needed and I don't care how efficient because we have seen him do it not being highly efficient and being efficient, give me that guy all day everyday

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Great defense. Too bad he was from an earlier time, but if fisher came a couple years later he would have been the lebron stopper of our era

seriously?

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 05:06 PM

On a serious note, I wouldn't even get married as an athlete. Derek Jeter did it all exactly right. Bang everything hot that moves, then lock up a 25 year old supermodel at age 40 and be done with it.

europagnpilgrim
05-26-2017, 05:09 PM
On a serious note, I wouldn't even get married as an athlete. Derek Jeter did it all exactly right. Bang everything hot that moves, then lock up a 25 year old supermodel at age 40 and be done with it.

Classic quote right here

except I would have done what Jeter did post career as well especially since I would have been in the flow for so long, but hey we all have to throw in our player card at some point in life I would imagine, I am still in Jeter mode as we speak but not as wild as I use to be

effen5
05-26-2017, 05:09 PM
... Because he wasn't stuck playing on a crap team, in a crap city. Kobe also was about to sign with the Bulls before he was gifted Pau Gasol.
Kobe signing with the bulls was never going to happen. It also forced the lakers to get Kobe help

mavwar53
05-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Based on talent-LeBron

Everything else is up for debate.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:26 PM
It's really a shame we never got that Kobe vs LeBron finals. It would have been the biggest finals in NBA history.

There would have been no living that down at the time for either guy.

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 05:26 PM

No smh.......What's mine is mine regardless. If someone offered me $50M to **** my wife I would tell them no and probably smack the **** out of them.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Kobe signing with the bulls was never going to happen. It also forced the lakers to get Kobe help

There was a trade that almost happened with Ben Wallace and Ron Artest to the Lakers in a 3 team trade. Kobe would have went to chicago.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Based on talent-LeBron

Everything else is up for debate.

based on stats, accolades, awards, dominance, etc, LeBron is better. Hell, he already has more rings as the top option than Kobe did.

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Lol please even trolls polls.....

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 05:30 PM
There was a trade that almost happened with Ben Wallace and Ron Artest to the Lakers in a 3 team trade. Kobe would have went to chicago.

Kobe declined a trade to Chicago because it included Luol Deng.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:30 PM
based on stats, accolades, awards, dominance, etc, LeBron is better. Hell, he already has more rings as the top option than Kobe did.

Kobe might have been more entertaining to watch, but that's subjective.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Kobe declined a trade to Chicago because it included Luol Deng.

That was a different trade. The one I posted Lakers management got cold feet and killed it.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Kobe might have been more entertaining to watch, but that's subjective.

I always loved watching them both.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:38 PM
I always loved watching them both.

There was nothing like Kobe getting hot and gunning. Just loved watching him play. He always had this I don't give a ***** attitude.

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 05:40 PM
That was a different trade. The one I posted Lakers management got cold feet and killed it.

Yea just wanted to throw that trade in there as well while you all were discussing. Should've been more specific.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 05:42 PM
There was nothing like Kobe getting hot and gunning. Just loved watching him play. He always had this I don't give a ***** attitude.

yep. And at times, when LeBron is being aggressive, and getting in transition, it's crazy to watch him.

GREATNESS ONE
05-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Lol same! I knew vanessa in school! She as always that type of girl haha

WaDe03
05-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Well now that we're on the topic, I miss the prime Wade/Kobe/LeBron matchups we used to see. Those guys were on another world and they would never disappoint in their head to head matchups. They all were going for the kill trying to show the other up.

Jamiecballer
05-26-2017, 05:48 PM

I know right. Just like the bank robber wasn't going to actually shoot anyone, but it did force the teller to open the vault. He's not actually a bad guy right.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Well now that we're on the topic, I miss the prime Wade/Kobe/LeBron matchups we used to see. Those guys were on another world and they would never disappoint in their head to head matchups. They all were going for the kill trying to show the other up.

For historical purposes, Kobe routinely destroyed Bron in ISO situations. But I'm sure Bron won more games against him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edOQzMAIBXw

For some reason this dunk always stood out, sorry about the **** quality.

LOb0
05-26-2017, 05:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUc8677iffE

KOOOOBE

JAZZNC
05-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Almost no rich famous guy is. Just how it works...when you have a truck load of hot *****es throwing themselves at you constantly you're bound to **** up at some point. Don't act like because your ugly broke *** can stay faithful you could if you were a good looking rich/famous athlete.

Bostonjorge
05-26-2017, 10:16 PM
No way Kobe was going to waive his no trade clause. It was a Jedi mind trick to get the trade talks going and Kobe got Gasol and a extension. Workout great.

PurpleLynch
05-26-2017, 10:35 PM
Stop this madness.

Chronz
05-26-2017, 10:37 PM
No way Kobe was going to waive his no trade clause. It was a Jedi mind trick to get the trade talks going and Kobe got Gasol and a extension. Workout great.
Nah, he was gone had Detroit not gutted its team or Chicago not had to give up Deng. I forget if it was Chicago who refused to give up Deng or not.

He also didn't have a NTC back then IIRC.

jaydubb
05-27-2017, 01:49 AM
https://youtu.be/LY8rUhlC0xY

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GREATNESS ONE
05-27-2017, 02:08 AM
https://youtu.be/LY8rUhlC0xY

:laugh2: thank you! Gotta love Hoopsprophet!

jaydubb
05-27-2017, 02:41 AM
:laugh2: thank you! Gotta love Hoopsprophet!
:nod:

Colby is the gratest no ?s asked

**** MJ **** the haters and **** the pigs

PowerHouse
05-27-2017, 08:01 AM

I know, he was a pretty good assistant GM lol. That qualifies as another skill he had>Lebron right?

PowerHouse
05-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Literally the only argument for Kobe is he has more points and two more rings

LeBron isn't even the great scorer Kobe was.

In that same post it looks like you mentioned a third argument for Kobe, which I agree with. More skillful scorer.

BoSox47
05-27-2017, 10:34 AM

Lebron played with Both Dwade and Chris Bosh on the same team, then Kevin love and Kyrie with him on the same team. Kobe never played with 2 players on his team like that at once, he only had one other person of that quality at any given time. He did have some bench guys who were at the end of their careers, but nothing Lebron hasnt had either.

Also Kobe played in a much tougher conference while lebron has played in probably the easiest stretch of the Eastern conference in basketball history.

Still said lebron was a better overall player, just saying it is closer than you think.

D Blue987
05-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Lebron played with Both Dwade and Chris Bosh on the same team, then Kevin love and Kyrie with him on the same team. Kobe never played with 2 players on his team like that at once, he only had one other person of that quality at any given time. He did have some bench guys who were at the end of their careers, but nothing Lebron hasnt had either.

Also Kobe played in a much tougher conference while lebron has played in probably the easiest stretch of the Eastern conference in basketball history.

Still said lebron was a better overall player, just saying it is closer than you think.

Agree with this whole heartedly. Lebron was probably the more impactful player but his size and ability to slash to the hoop for an easy lay up or monster dunk better than anyone in the NBA for years is a key reason why he is so. It really is unfortunate that neither player met once in the Finals. That would have been so fun to watch.

Still though, I think your points are valid when it comes to evaluating Lebron's career vs. Kobes. He has played in what is perhaps the weakest stretch of eastern conference teams in NBA history for the vast majority of his career. He went through an over the hill Boston big 3 team and a very short lived Chicago Bulls power house when Derrick Rose still had a healthy ACL. That has been the only real adversity he has faced to getting to the finals since his stretch of appearances has begun to which he is 3-4 overall and very possibily 3-5 overall after this year. Thats not great when you consider his individual stats and he has played with very good to possibly elite help all these years. Thats maybe the one area where I think Kobe and Lebron are separate because when the stage was at its biggest, Kobe made it count more times than not. Same with Jordan. It will be interesting to see where Lebron ends his career and with how many rings. As far as impact, its tough to say Lebron didn't have more impact than Kobe did but when you consider career accomplishments and when its all said and done, Lebron still has a ways to go in that department to declare him better than Kobe, let alone Jordan.

Mr.B
05-27-2017, 01:11 PM
I didn't read all of the posts here but are any of you factoring in killer instinct? There is no doubt that Labron has more overall skill than Kobe but as far as having that killer instinct it's Kobe by a mile.

The better debate should be prime Magic vs Labron. They are more similar type of players than Labron and Kobe.

Vee-Rex
06-01-2017, 06:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XivnFH6SFI

FlashBolt
06-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Lmao this killer instinct **** is so dried out. People just use it arbitrarily these days. Kobe's killer instinct also hurts his team. you can't have it both ways.