PDA

View Full Version : Boston Red Sox (25-21) VS. Seattle Mariners (21-27)

Soxfan85
05-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Game 1: Friday, May 26, 7:10 E-Rod VS. Yovani Gallardo

Game 2: Saturday, May 27, 4:05 PM ET No starters announced for each team

Game 3: Sunday, May 28, 1:35 PM ET Rick Porcello VS. Christian Bergman

I think G2 is Brian Johnson. Another sweep we be great

RedSoxtober
05-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Farrell pointed to Johnson earlier this week while also providing a disclaimer ("without committing to anything"). Three wins with minimal BP impact makes that seem fairly likely.

I'm actually more interested in seeing what the corresponding move is on the roster. Does Travis get to hang around some more?

Green_Monster
05-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Farrell pointed to Johnson earlier this week while also providing a disclaimer ("without committing to anything"). Three wins with minimal BP impact makes that seem fairly likely.

I'm actually more interested in seeing what the corresponding move is on the roster. Does Travis get to hang around some more?

I think Travis will stay. Farrell had a quote about the next 3/4 series having lefty starters lined up. That's not a guarantee but I took it as he'll stay up for a little while.

Workman or Taylor is my guess.

Soxfan85
05-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Man Kimbrel is filthy this year. Best closer in the AL. 0.83 Avg

Craig Kimbrel’s last 61 batters faced: 38 strikeouts, 0 walks, 0 HBP, 4 hits. Right-handed batters are 0-for-37 against him in 2017.

@SoxNotes

Bosston
05-27-2017, 07:14 AM
2.0 games out... and just last week people were calling it a season. Small ball is working...

papipapsmanny
05-27-2017, 12:42 PM
How can anyone call the season in May? or even June for that matter unless we were about 12 games under .500 or something.

Soxfan85
05-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Very impressive start for Johnson.

Soxfan85
05-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Brian Johnson is bidding to become the first Red Sox lefty to pitch a shutout at Fenway Park since Rich Hill. Jon Lester did it just twice.

@brianmacp

Soxfan85
05-27-2017, 06:29 PM
Shutout for Johnson on 1st RS debut!

6 Straight Wins!

Team is on fire! Where are the haters now? :hide: I guess

nocal_lbm
05-27-2017, 06:30 PM
holy **** snacks!!! I hope he can keep this up

nocal_lbm
05-27-2017, 06:31 PM

6 Straight Wins!

I was hiding, waiting for the scuffling to stop

Petertherock
05-28-2017, 01:44 AM

6 Straight Wins!

Not first RS debut...first Fenway debut. He pitches awesome like that and right after the game they optioned him back to Pawtucket. Have to make room for Price whom I expect will get shelled in his first outing back. I hope I am wrong but I think they are rushing him back too soon. But hopefully by Monday we will have swept 2 teams back to back and will have a ton of momentum. Hopefully if Price does get roughed up our offense can bail him out. Better yet, I hope Price is ready and has a great outing.

I am thinking Price goes 5-6 innings and gives up 3-4 runs. That would be decent for his first game back and would give us a chance for the win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Soxfan85
05-28-2017, 02:56 PM
Four innings, four double plays grounded into by Red Sox hitters.

@brianmacp

Not good. We need to put some numbers on the board

Petertherock
05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
I am thinking Price goes 5-6 innings and gives up 3-4 runs. That would be decent for his first game back and would give us a chance for the win.

I guess that was a good call. Would only have been 1 run if he hadn't walked two batters. But still a decent outing.

RedSoxtober
05-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Days after the Red Sox second baseman dealt with a sore left knee, along with a contusion on his left forearm, Pedroia was driven from Monday afternoon’s game with a left wrist sprain.

The injury occurred in the first inning when Pedroia collided with White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu while running out a ground out to first.

After the game John Farrell said Pedroia was headed back to Boston to undergo an MRI. It is the same wrist the infielder underwent surgery on in 2014.

“Really no speculation on it,” Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski told reporters after his team’s 5-4 loss. “We’ll just wait and see what happens. He did have an X-ray. The X-ray was negative. That was done. The X-ray was negative and now we’ll do an MRI tomorrow on the left wrist and just see what it is.”weei.com

RedSoxtober
05-30-2017, 10:17 AM
2.0 games out... and just last week people were calling it a season. Small ball is working...

I'm not sure that small ball is working. They had a nice win streak while playing three of the worst teams in the AL. During the streak I think they scored 7 runs on balks, wild pitches, and passed balls. That's not really small ball working as much as the level of competition resembling mid-week Little League games.

I don't recall anyone "calling the season" a week ago. I do remember -- both personally and others -- questioning the pie-eyed optimism of saying "if we swept we'd be tied for first." Not only was it not true (we would have been 0.5GB) but it came on the heels of salvaging one game out of a four game set in OAK.

I also acknowledge noting the historical fact that deficits greater than six games are rarely overcome after mid-May. That's not "calling the season" either. It's simply the sober recognition that the Sox faced a more important early stage of the season than many were willing to admit. Seasons may not be won in April and May but very often they can be lost then. I noted then, as well, that the majority of the data for that observation came prior to the second WC; the context may have changed and certainly many more (mediocre) teams stay "in it" deeper into the season than previously.

My fear: 2005. The Sox had a similar flaw (SP), similar record at this point in the season, and were even battling the same teams for the top of the AL East. They managed to find their way into the playoffs before getting steamrolled by CWS in an epic SP run for the ChiSox. The reason that I fear such a thing is mostly DD; he won't hesitate to act if he thinks the team can make a push and there's no telling what shiny baubles will exit the system.

By all means, root for this team. They are very talented... at least on paper. There is more than enough in this group to make it to October. But at least recognize that the team is also flawed. Their below-expectations start has a lot to do with the flaws (3B, SP depth). It leaves them with quite a bit of work to do if they are going to do anything beyond simply making it TO the playoffs.

The worst part of their challenge is that much of it lies within the team; as Green Monster noted the team lacks the spark/unity of a playoff team. They don't seem to rally around much of anything. I hope they find it.

Bosston
05-30-2017, 11:19 AM
I think the Yankee series will kind of let us know where we are... for better or worse.