PDA

View Full Version : Rumors CP3 is interested in the Spurs. How good would they be?

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Let's assume Pau Gasol opts out and resigns for less so CP3 can join. How good would the Spurs be and would you put them above the Warriors?

Alayla
05-24-2017, 02:10 PM
They would have an actual shot a competing for about 2 years would be interesting to watch.

cmellofan15
05-24-2017, 02:10 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/rumor-rumblings-chris-paul-interest-172829904.html

There's a link

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Even if Gasol opts out and signs for the minimum that means CP3 has to take like $10M less than his max. I guess it could happen, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect he takes the minimum or that CP3 leaves that much money on the table. I mean I feel like we've got to be talking close to $100M he'd be leaving on the table compared to re-upping with LAC at that point. They'd obviously be awesome if they could just add CP3 while subtracting nothing but I feel that's a little unrealistic.

tredigs
05-24-2017, 02:22 PM
I would be highly surprised if CP3 took a massive pay-cut to join the Spurs (Gasol is not opting out, but it would still be a massive pay-cut if he did), a team they beat in the post-season not so long ago.

But in that world, they would be extremely good obviously. Maybe not Warriors good, but it would be hard to count those two + the Spurs system/Pop out against anybody.

TrueFan420
05-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Even if Gasol opts out and signs for the minimum that means CP3 has to take like $10M less than his max. I guess it could happen, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect he takes the minimum or that CP3 leaves that much money on the table. I mean I feel like we've got to be talking close to $100M he'd be leaving on the table compared to re-upping with LAC at that point. They'd obviously be awesome if they could just add CP3 while subtracting nothing but I feel that's a little unrealistic.
If Parker retires because of the injury that would free up another 15 million from the cap.

tredigs
05-24-2017, 02:29 PM
If Parker retires because of the injury that would free up another 15 million from the cap.

Why would he throw away 15 million dollars? Unless there's some stretch payment provision they could work out where he still got paid but over X amount of years (and less of a cap hit for SAS in 2018).

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Why would he throw away 15 million dollars? Unless there's some stretch payment provision they could work out where he still got paid but over X amount of years (and less of a cap hit for SAS in 2018).

Duncan took way less. Pretty sure with the Spurs, some players are willing. Pop just have that effect on his players.

Scoots
05-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Someone else said CP3 has been pushing other players to not leave money on the table. It would be tough for him to do it if he's been doing that.

That said, CP3 and Gallinari would make the Spurs another super team no question ... but everybody should hate that idea right?

ManRam
05-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Good enough to not beat the Warriors in the WCF.

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Someone else said CP3 has been pushing other players to not leave money on the table. It would be tough for him to do it if he's been doing that.

That said, CP3 and Gallinari would make the Spurs another super team no question ... but everybody should hate that idea right?

I wouldn't. Only way to beat a superteam is with a superteam. Besides, CP3 knows he ain't beating the Warriors with that LAC roster. This is going to be one of those "money" or "rings" scenario in which CP3 will have to decide if he really wants one. Spurs with CP3+Kawhi+Manu taking less to come back+LaMarcus+Pau Gasol taking less.. It'll be interesting at least. Hell, I really wish Spurs wouldn't rule out Tim Duncan returning..

WestCoastSportz
05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
As it stands, the Spurs have a payroll of $93M. With the cap expected to take a jump to $102M for next season, that would leave them with about $9M. If they can get Gasol to opt out of his final year that would pay him $16M, that would give the Spurs $25M to offer Chris Paul, which is what he got paid this past year.

The title goes through Golden State in the West. You look their team and none of their core players are even 30 years old yet. Steph Curry (29), Klay Thompson (27), Kevin Durant (28) and Draymond Green (27). They still have a competitive window of about 5 years if those players decide to stay and all signs looks like that will be the case. Then you look at the East and the title goes through Cleveland. Without Lebron James, that team wouldn't be going anywhere. James will be 33 years old with lots of mileage on his tires with all the post season games he's played. How long will be be playing at such a high level? Because once he declines, then so does that team..dramatically.

For me, if I was someone like Chris Paul and want to compete for a championship, then I'd look to move East. I actually can see him in Chicago. They have a star in Jimmy Butler and if Wade opts out, they'll have even more money. If they can bring in someone like Milsap as well, that could be a formidable team.

Another team would be Boston. I know they have Isaiah Thomas but we're seeing just how much better of a defensive team they are without him. I love Thomas, but at 5'9, he's very limited defensively and more of a shooting guard than point. He'd be a great guy to have off the bench for instant offense. They also have the #1 overall pick so they could get much better very fast.

Vee-Rex
05-24-2017, 02:54 PM
I'd love is CP3 joined the Spurs. I'd much rather see him there than Lowry.

Here's my dream scenario:

Spurs convince Gasol to opt out and take less money (with a wink wink deal of paying him under the table).

Send Parker and a 2017 2nd round + 2019 2nd round to Milwaukee for Monroe or Sacramento for Rudy Gay, then cut them since they'll be expirings.

Or simply convince Parker to retire and pay him money under the table.

THEN, you can max out CP3. BOO YAH

IndyRealist
05-24-2017, 02:55 PM

No one hates on a guy at the end of his career going after a ring. How's David West working out for ya?

ManRam
05-24-2017, 02:56 PM

No, because CP3 is cool and KD is a buster.

He's still elite (and as always, wildly underrated), but he's older. I think public perception is much milder when 12 year vets make moves than players absolutely in their prime.

Also, I wouldn't be so convinced CP3 pushing others to take all the money they can get means he won't. It's easy to talk the talk, but when it comes time to walk the walk, why not increase your best chances to win.

I mean,

Scoots
05-24-2017, 03:14 PM
No one hates on a guy at the end of his career going after a ring. How's David West working out for ya?

CP3 is a top 5 PG in the NBA right? Not exactly David West.

Scoots
05-24-2017, 03:18 PM
No, because CP3 is cool and KD is a buster.

He's still elite (and as always, wildly underrated), but he's older. I think public perception is much milder when 12 year vets make moves than players absolutely in their prime.

Also, I wouldn't be so convinced CP3 pushing others to take all the money they can get means he won't. It's easy to talk the talk, but when it comes time to walk the walk, why not increase your best chances to win.

I mean,

KD is a 10 year vet, CP3 is 12 you say ... You are right, that's a huge difference :)

ManRam
05-24-2017, 03:33 PM
KD is a 10 year vet, CP3 is 12 you say ... You are right, that's a huge difference :)

Fair. But I mean, they're still certainly not equals at all. KD was 27. CP3 is 32. KD was two years removed from an MVP and just off the heels of blowing a 3-1 lead against the team he would ultimately join. A consensus top-3 player. CP3 has never had the playoff success KD had, and didn't even make an All-NBA team this year. It's not the same. People will not be nearly as irate.

I'm not really one to legislate whether or not people should be upset, or how upset people should be in regards to any of these. I think these guys should do what's best for them and we shouldn't demand them to be beholden to any team. But by all means fans have the right to be upset if they want to be. I was fine with LeBron going to Miami, and really hated KD going to GSW. In a few small ways that's hypocritical, but yeah...I just like LeBron and think winning in Cleveland was impossible and I just don't like KD and think winning in OKC was possible. It is what it is.

CP3 won't get the backlash and in my opinion, he shouldn't. Is that fair? Is that right? I don't know. Frankly, I don't care too much. Players should do what they want and fans can react however they please.

Vee-Rex
05-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Fair. But I mean, they're still certainly not equals at all. KD was 27. CP3 is 32. KD was two years removed from an MVP and just off the heels of blowing a 3-1 lead against the team he would ultimately join. A consensus top-3 player. CP3 has never had the playoff success KD had, and didn't even make an All-NBA team this year. It's not the same. People will not be nearly as irate.

I'm not really one to legislate whether or not people should be upset, or how upset people should be in regards to any of these. I think these guys should do what's best for them and we shouldn't demand them to be beholden to any team. But by all means fans have the right to be upset if they want to be. I was fine with LeBron going to Miami, and really hated KD going to GSW. In a few small ways that's hypocritical, but yeah...I just like LeBron and think winning in Cleveland was impossible and I just don't like KD and think winning in OKC was possible. It is what it is.

CP3 won't get the backlash and in my opinion, he shouldn't. Is that fair? Is that right? I don't know. Frankly, I don't care too much. Players should do what they want and fans can react however they please.

Well said.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 03:41 PM

off of plain talent they competed but I just don't think a team with westbrook will ever win a championship.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Rumors by who? I know the quote is from Zach lowe but how fake is this news? why cant he just say "I got an idea"? no validity at all!

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 03:50 PM

Right. But CP3 wasn't born into a team with 2 future HOF's, two MVP candidates, nor was he ever in a team as stacked as the OKC was. His first stint with Hornets was basically him and David W as his second best player.

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Rumors by who? I know the quote is from Zach lowe but how fake is this news? why cant he just say "I got an idea"? no validity at all!

This thread is mostly about discussing whether Spurs can compete against the Warriors and Cavs with CP3. This entire NBA forum is "rumor" based anyways.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 04:02 PM
This thread is mostly about discussing whether Spurs can compete against the Warriors and Cavs with CP3. This entire NBA forum is "rumor" based anyways.

REALLY??? thanks I didn't know.

Vee-Rex
05-24-2017, 04:03 PM

Isn't Lowe the one that broke the Aldridge to the Spurs news?

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 04:04 PM
I think they can compete but if he did end up there I think people need to be a little more realistic. Gasol leaving $16M on the table, CP3 leaving a guaranteed 5th year at like $40M plus an absurd amount plus like $40-$50M over the first 4 years of a deal.... I just don't think these are realistic expectations. They have about $6M of cap space (assuming they renounce Patty Mills). Maybe Gasol agrees to opt out and take less but I can't see him turning down $16M. He's won 2 rings already remember.

They could salary dump Parker and Green to get up to like $30M in cap space. Maybe Paul signs for that? Or Gasol takes some pay cut to add a little more space. But remember, they don't have the ability to go over the cap and sign Dedmon or Simmons so they're gone.

It'd be great to add CP3. But as amazing as he is, if you're losing Parker/Mills/Simmons/Dedmon/Green to make it work you're definitely eating into the improvement he brings.

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 04:06 PM
REALLY??? thanks I didn't know.

Okay, so if you don't like it, don't complain. This is a legitimate thread.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Isn't Lowe the one that broke the Aldridge to the Spurs news?

did you read the quote? its the same as coming in here and then going to espn and saying you heard grumblings. goes on to say that it probably wont happen?!
I get the fact that headlines are needed to attract readers but its just constant garbage.

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 04:11 PM
did you read the quote? its the same as coming in here and then going to espn and saying you heard grumblings. goes on to say that it probably wont happen?!
I get the fact that headlines are needed to attract readers but its just constant garbage.

Except I'm not debating the rumor. I'm saying IF it happened, how much better would the Spurs be. The rumor just made me wonder if it did happen, what would the possibilities be. IDC if it happens or not. I'm saying IF it happened.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Okay, so if you don't like it, don't complain. This is a legitimate thread.

nobody is complaining about the thread. I actually like the idea of CP3 going to the spurs. what are you even talking about?

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Except I'm not debating the rumor. I'm saying IF it happened, how much better would the Spurs be. The rumor just made me wonder if it did happen, what would the possibilities be. IDC if it happens or not. I'm saying IF it happened.

yeah nobody asked you if you thought the rumor was true.

FlashBolt
05-24-2017, 04:14 PM
nobody is complaining about the thread. I actually like the idea of CP3 going to the spurs. what are you even talking about?

"Rumors by who? I know the quote is from Zach lowe but how fake is this news? why cant he just say "I got an idea"? no validity at all!"

Sounds like you're complaining about the rumor rather than what the actual question is.

SanPitte
05-24-2017, 04:17 PM
first of all, i don't see Gasol and Parker opting out and leaving all that money behind...but IF they do, and IF the Spurs somehow signed CP3, i think they still wouldn't compete with the Warriors and even the Cavs, because they would probably also lose Simmons and Mills via free agency, (and Ginobili via retirement).The bench would be thin and Aldridge hasn't been good since joining the Spurs, so even though a team with Leonard/Paul and coached by Pop would be good, they still wouldn't be true contenders IMO

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 04:18 PM
"Rumors by who? I know the quote is from Zach lowe but how fake is this news? why cant he just say "I got an idea"? no validity at all!"

Sounds like you're complaining about the rumor rather than what the actual question is.

yeah, well done. you catch on quick.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 04:20 PM
first of all, i don't see Gasol and Parker opting out and leaving all that money behind...but IF they do, and IF the Spurs somehow signed CP3, i think they still wouldn't compete with the Warriors and even the Cavs, because they would probably also lose Simmons and Mills via free agency, (and Ginobili via retirement).The bench would be thin and Aldridge hasn't been good since joining the Spurs, so even though a team with Leonard/Paul and coached by Pop would be good, they still wouldn't be true contenders IMO

a lineup with CP3,KL Green, and LMA would most certainly be able to compete. especially with pop.

SanPitte
05-24-2017, 04:29 PM
a lineup with CP3,KL Green, and LMA would most certainly be able to compete. especially with pop.

not with a thin bench and an Aldridge playing like he did this year, they'd be good but would probably lose in 4-5 against the Warriors whenever they face them in the playoffs, and maybe even against the Rockets if they keep playing like they did this year...and if by some miracle they'd reach the finals, they'd lose in 4-5 against the cavs.

to truly compete they'd need a few more pieces, like good ring chasers for example, and hope for good health on their big 3.

Vee-Rex
05-24-2017, 04:45 PM
not with a thin bench and an Aldridge playing like he did this year, they'd be good but would probably lose in 4-5 against the Warriors whenever they face them in the playoffs, and maybe even against the Rockets if they keep playing like they did this year...and if by some miracle they'd reach the finals, they'd lose in 4-5 against the cavs.

to truly compete they'd need a few more pieces, like good ring chasers for example, and hope for good health on their big 3.

I'm convinced Pop could have some kindergarteners play at a high level as role-players.

If their core is CP3, Green, KL, LMA, then I'm sure they'll get vet min players who could contribute with Pop overseeing everything.

More-Than-Most
05-24-2017, 04:53 PM
they would instantly be right there with the warriors... try to trade LMA.... Imagine like a LMA for like a Noel or something... CP3 fits perfectly on the spurs and next to Khwai my god. Ok not as good as the warriors but closer then some might think if they got a noel or something as well... That defense :drool:

People are forgetting LMA is easily tradable because of his deal... he signed 4 years for 80 mill... that is like signing evan ****ing turner right now... Someone would dive for LMA.

TrueFan420
05-24-2017, 04:53 PM
I think they can compete but if he did end up there I think people need to be a little more realistic. Gasol leaving $16M on the table, CP3 leaving a guaranteed 5th year at like $40M plus an absurd amount plus like $40-$50M over the first 4 years of a deal.... I just don't think these are realistic expectations. They have about $6M of cap space (assuming they renounce Patty Mills). Maybe Gasol agrees to opt out and take less but I can't see him turning down $16M. He's won 2 rings already remember.

They could salary dump Parker and Green to get up to like $30M in cap space. Maybe Paul signs for that? Or Gasol takes some pay cut to add a little more space. But remember, they don't have the ability to go over the cap and sign Dedmon or Simmons so they're gone.

It'd be great to add CP3. But as amazing as he is, if you're losing Parker/Mills/Simmons/Dedmon/Green to make it work you're definitely eating into the improvement he brings.

Talent always trumps quantity in this league.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Talent always trumps quantity in this league.

100%. But GS is a good deal ahead of SA on paper. I get that SA was up 20 against GS... BOS was up 16 on CLE last night. People are overreacting to a partial game because they didn't get to see the rest of the series with Leonard. Like you said - "talent trumps all". Look at the talent GS has then look at what SA has. Huge gap.

CP3 obviously makes them better but losing all those good players to make it work obviously eats into it. If CP3 is a +10 and they're combined a -3 then that means they're only net plus 7. And they probably need +13 to get up at GS's level.

Scoots
05-24-2017, 06:14 PM

I agree, I was just having a bit of fun.

I've been saying for a month now that CP3 should turn his attention to getting the best team he can around himself to beat the Warriors and LeBron, and to me that seems it should be CP3, Danny Green, Kawhi, Gallinari, and Aldridge.

Heediot
05-24-2017, 06:55 PM
S & T Paul for Aldridge
Sign Chris Bosh
Trade Parker 1st for Melo
Re-sign Dedmond, Simmons

I'm not too worried about the Bench no matter what if Pops is around. He has made a bench out of guys nobody wanted, the d-league, undrafted guys, late picks and euro/international players.

Mills, Bonner, Boban, Baynes, Green, Neal, Simmons, Bertans, Oberto, the list could go on.

Paul/Murray
Green/Simmons
Leonard/Bertans/Anderson
Melo/Bosh/Bertans/Lee
Gasol/Dedmond

LA_Raiders
05-24-2017, 07:26 PM
He will be a great fit, but it won't happen. It is all about building super teams now a days. I think Melo will go to the Clips and they will give it another try.

BKLYNpigeon
05-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Probably not happening.

Pau said he was opting in. And Spurs would never dump Parker.

PurpleLynch
05-24-2017, 07:45 PM
It would be awesome, you could see what coaching peak Pop can reach with a playmaker as Paul. Unfortunately, unless Gasol wants to agree for a vet min to catch some rings, which I doubt, it won't happen.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-24-2017, 07:51 PM
I can't see how they would get him and keep enough firepower to match the Spurs well enough.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 07:51 PM
If the Spurs dump LMA they can offer him about $30M. I get it would be better to dump Gasol and have CP3 take even less but at the end of the day if you have to dump LMA to make it work it's still an upgrade.

Silent
05-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Cp3 just wants a ring he will play for cheap

KobeOwnSU
05-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Why not keep Gasol, Green, and Parker by trading Aldridge for a first. That would be more then enough to get them to max money for Paul. Use the 1st round pick to beef up the front line.

Cracka2HI!
05-24-2017, 10:17 PM
I don't see it happening. I don't think SAS is as close to making the money right as people think. Let's say they can offer him $25 million a year. He'd be leaving over $100 million on the table. Not likely.

GREATNESS ONE
05-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Ok thought about this for a bit, they not only need Chris Paul but Demarcus Cousins. Now who goes?

That team will make them contenders, Cousins with Pops would be so entertaining but if it clicks you're talking about a grand slam.

FlashBolt
05-25-2017, 01:57 AM
Well, I think we all know LAC aren't getting past anyone with BG, DJ, and CP3. Realistically, this will come down to money - which CP3 has fought for in extending the cap to 36 year olds. With that being said, I do think he takes a hard look at the Spurs. CP3 is a damn competitive player so it's likely this is his last push for a championship. Him and Kawhi would be two of the greater perimeter defenders. We've seen crazier deals happen to get players so it wouldn't surprise me if this move happens. At the end of the day, I pray it does. Could use an extra team in the convo.

eDush
05-25-2017, 02:50 AM
I'd love is CP3 joined the Spurs. I'd much rather see him there than Lowry.

Here's my dream scenario:

Spurs convince Gasol to opt out and take less money (with a wink wink deal of paying him under the table).

Send Parker and a 2017 2nd round + 2019 2nd round to Milwaukee for Monroe or Sacramento for Rudy Gay, then cut them since they'll be expirings.

Or simply convince Parker to retire and pay him money under the table.

THEN, you can max out CP3. BOO YAH

I highly doubt they would ever trade Parker or try to force him to retire. He's a valued member of this team like Duncan and Gino. If this is how you perceive they treat their legends, I would doubt CP3 would want any part of it imho.

eDush
05-25-2017, 02:55 AM

He'd already acknowledged in his own way that he hates KD so he would make things up to make him look bad.

Mave1002
05-25-2017, 04:50 AM
Everything works out well for the Spurs (Parker retiring and getting a discounted Pau Gasol),

-you try and trade LMA and Green for Marc Gasol and ZBo
-hope and pray that CP3 takes less

M.Gasol
P.Gasol
Leonard
Simmons
Paul

Vinylman
05-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Is it really that hard for people to fathom the Spurs trading LMA?

I also don't think it will happen because of the money and the fact that CP3 would be a total hypocrite after begging DJ to stay

Scoots
05-25-2017, 09:05 AM

I also don't think it will happen because of the money and the fact that CP3 would be a total hypocrite after begging DJ to stay

I think anything can happen ... it usually doesn't though.

eDush
05-25-2017, 09:43 AM

I fail to follow how trading LA would make CP3 a hypocrite considering LA did sign a max with the Spurs nor has CP3 ever 'begged' DJ to stay. DJ initially had a change of heart and the entire team later try to convince why it would be better to stay. LA hasn't been with his current team long enough nor has he won a championship with them where trading would cause chaos like if they had traded a legend like Duncan.

eDush
05-25-2017, 09:49 AM

Like somehow making CP3 look like a hypocrite by saying '...anything can happen' in responding back to his post.
:shrug:

Vinylman
05-25-2017, 10:10 AM
I fail to follow how trading LA would make CP3 a hypocrite considering LA did sign a max with the Spurs nor has CP3 ever 'begged' DJ to stay. DJ initially had a change of heart and the entire team later try to convince why it would be better to stay. LA hasn't been with his current team long enough nor has he won a championship with them where trading would cause chaos like if they had traded a legend like Duncan.

I wasn't talking about LMA when it comes to CP3 being a hypocrite if he left

and you obviously are a revisionist historian on DJ... CP3 and the rest of the guys put the full court press on him to stay... if you don't think it would be hypocritical for him to now leave The Clippers then there is really no point in talking about it.

Vinylman
05-25-2017, 10:13 AM

true... anything is possible... I just think it would be funny if a guy preaches "team" to someone like DJ and then leaves him...

I hope CP3 signs a massive deal with the Clippers and gets a NTC so that both he and the clipps get what they deserve.

hugepatsfan
05-25-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm just really hoping this happens so SA can move closer to GS.

I'm really hoping BOS can land Hayward to take another step towards CLE. Maybe if the right deal is out there trade for another player (want to keep Fultz though).

I'm pissed WAS spent like $22M of this year's cap space on Jason Smith om Ian Mahinmi. They're are like $94M with those guys but then Porter's $11M cap hold takes them over. If they didn't spend money on those ****ing scrubs then they'd have like $15M to spend on a good free agent to help their woeful bench. I guess the Smith deal is actually ok at like $5M/year but what a dumb signing Mahnimi was and kills flexibility.

Hopefully the Bulls can figure out their **** chemistry and be a little better this year. I hope TOR keeps Lowry/Ibaka. MIL I want to continue to get better as they gain experience. I just want more teams to get better. I'd at least like the conference finals to be interesting. I don't think that's too much to ask.

ManRam
05-25-2017, 11:25 AM
He'd already acknowledged in his own way that he hates KD so he would make things up to make him look bad.

I'm sorry! I should've just mentioned age. KD was firmly in his absolute prime at the ripe age of 27. CP3 is 32. There's a difference and thus a difference in how them leaving a team will perceived. Not to mention the zillion other differences between the two individual's circumstances.

My point stands.

mrblisterdundee
05-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Duncan took way less. Pretty sure with the Spurs, some players are willing. Pop just have that effect on his players.

Popovich would have to pull some Jedi mind tricks to convince Gasol, Parker and Paul to all take less money.

hugepatsfan
05-25-2017, 11:53 AM
The Heat were interested in Aldridge when he was a FA. Now they have cap room. I bet they'd give up #14 for him. That frees up about $20M for SA.

I think you can structure a contract where players still get paid in retirement. Convince Gasol to opt out of his $16.2M but re-sign for a 2 year deal that pays him the same amount. Then he can retire next year and still get the rest of his money but SA gets extra cap room this year.

That gives them enough money to offer CP3 a max deal (or veeeeeery close to it) without offending Parker. Gotta let Dedmon, Mills & Simmons go along with Aldridge but I'd say it's worth it.

CP3/Parker
Murray/Forbes
Green/Anderson
Leonard/Bertans
Gasol

Then they still have #14 from MIA and their own #29 pick in the 1st round. Then you know Pop lures in the ring chasers for more bench help. CP3/Green/Leonard gives you that perimeter defense you need going against Curry/Klay/Durant. Need to figure out the match-up with Green though.

Scoots
05-25-2017, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry! I should've just mentioned age. KD was firmly in his absolute prime at the ripe age of 27. CP3 is 32. There's a difference and thus a difference in how them leaving a team will perceived. Not to mention the zillion other differences between the two individual's circumstances.

My point stands.

(I got it and I agreed I was just being pedantic and making a silly joke)

LOb0
05-25-2017, 01:40 PM
CP3, Kawhi and LMA (If he'd get his ***** together) and Pop sounds nasty on paper. But I think they'd still need one more guy to beat GS.

Heediot
05-25-2017, 02:08 PM
**** it. Bad post.

eDush
05-25-2017, 03:53 PM
I was fine with LeBron going to Miami, and really hated KD going to GSW. In a few small ways that's hypocritical, but yeah...I just like LeBron and think winning in Cleveland was impossible and I just don't like KD and think winning in OKC was possible. It is what it is.

Again, you openly stated that you like Lebron and hate KD which IS the main reason why you hate that he went to the Dubs but was cool that Lebron went to Miami to form the Big 3, the same Lebron who took the Cavs to the finals before leaving and the same Lebron who had a much bigger backlash from the entire state of Ohio along with the angry owner voicing his displeasure but that's okay to you cause you like Lebron :nod:

It's fine with me if you feel this way but don't you see how bias you are in your opinions? Well ur not the only one so don't worry about it.

FlashBolt
05-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Popovich would have to pull some Jedi mind tricks to convince Gasol, Parker and Paul to all take less money.

Gasol+Parker are at an age where they've made enough money and might want to compete for a title. CP3, IDK. He's probably not going to do it but it would be tough to not want to end your career with a ring. Like, how would CP3 look if he had a ring or two? Top two PG?

Again, you openly stated that you like Lebron and hate KD which IS the main reason why you hate that he went to the Dubs but was cool that Lebron went to Miami to form the Big 3, the same Lebron who took the Cavs to the finals before leaving and the same Lebron who had a much bigger backlash from the entire state of Ohio along with the angry owner voicing his displeasure but that's okay to you cause you like Lebron :nod:

It's fine with me if you feel this way but don't you see how bias you are in your opinions?Well ur not the only one so don't worry about it.

LeBron had a much bigger backlash not because of what he did but because how he did it. KD is getting backlash for joining a historic-level team WITHOUT him that has a 2x reigning MVP and just won a ring a year before he got there. So yeah, there's some context for you. And I don't think anyone ever hated KD here. His "you da real MVP" towards his mom won everyone over. But many people saw him going to the Warriors as a total disservice to fans who who expected more from KD as a competitor. He could have gone to Washington, resigned with OKC, Miami. Nope, I'mma go to the Warriors and be guaranteed a trip to the Finals/obvious favorites to the ring every season for the next five.

eDush
05-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Gasol+Parker are at an age where they've made enough money and might want to compete for a title. CP3, IDK. He's probably not going to do it but it would be tough to not want to end your career with a ring. Like, how would CP3 look if he had a ring or two? Top two PG?

LeBron had a much bigger backlash not because of what he did but because how he did it. KD is getting backlash for joining a historic-level team WITHOUT him that has a 2x reigning MVP and just won a ring a year before he got there. So yeah, there's some context for you. And I don't think anyone ever hated KD here. His "you da real MVP" towards his mom won everyone over. But many people saw him going to the Warriors as a total disservice to fans who who expected more from KD as a competitor. He could have gone to Washington, resigned with OKC, Miami. Nope, I'mma go to the Warriors and be guaranteed a trip to the Finals/obvious favorites to the ring every season for the next five.

I think he would have gotten the same type of backlash cause of his desire to form a Big 3 in South Beach regardless of 'how' he left but it certainly didn't help matters.

For Durant, it tells me he cares about winning a championship as one of the guys instead of the main guy to do it. He's not a selfish player who only care about stats but more about winning. It's why they join teams like the Spurs that's been so good for so long. What he said to his Mom seal the deal for me as a player I have come to respect and admire. Those who hate him cause of it are selfish haters and would say anything to make him look bad. If I was an OKC fan, I would wish Durant the best on his journey with a new team just like I would for Steph (my all time favorite player) if he decides to leave for Charlotte. Hating is for losers :nod:

FlashBolt
05-25-2017, 04:17 PM
I think he would have gotten the same type of backlash cause of his desire to form a Big 3 in South Beach regardless of 'how' he left but it certainly didn't help matters.

For Durant, it tells me he cares about winning a championship as one of the guys instead of the main guy to do it. He's not a selfish player who only care about stats but more about winning. It's why they join teams like the Spurs that's been so good for so long. What he said to his Mom seal the deal for me. Does who don't like it are selfish haters and would would use bias reasons to make him look bad. If I was an OKC fan, I would wish Durant the best on his journey like I would for Steph (my all time favorite player) if he decides to leave for Charlotte. Hating is for losers :nod:

LeBron tried to form the Big Three in Cleveland. No one wanted to do it so he opted for Miami. And for me, it tells me that Durant cares about winning but at the end of the day, it also tells me that he doesn't think he can win without the Warriors. Which in reality, makes it damn obvious that he has zero confidence in himself.

eDush
05-25-2017, 04:22 PM
LeBron tried to form the Big Three in Cleveland. No one wanted to do it so he opted for Miami. And for me, it tells me that Durant cares about winning but at the end of the day, it also tells me that he doesn't think he can win without the Warriors. Which in reality, makes it damn obvious that he has zero confidence in himself.

Umm well it tells me he's humble and modest instead of being cocky and full of himself. I like that in a player and will plan to buy his road Dub jersey to put alongside my home Dub jersey of Steph and my Chef Curry 2 :nod:

Chronz
05-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Shocking twist looms ahead, CP3 resigns on the Clips for the min and sway KD into regaining his man hood.