PDA

View Full Version : What should the Spurs do?

mrblisterdundee
05-24-2017, 12:39 AM
The Spurs were obviously hobbled, but even at full strength, they stood no chance against the Warriors.
What does the team need to do to contend again?
Parker's likely to opt in and get his $15 million next season. Do they try and find a trade for Aldridge? Do they try to re-sign Mills, or go for another point guard? Paul's a pipe dream, but Lowry looks like an option, and Hill could be a good fit back in San Antonio, if Hayward leaves Utah.

Jeffy25
05-24-2017, 01:04 AM
To be honest, I think with Kawahi, they could have held the Warriors better. Pop clearly out coached the Warriors. Just the talent disparity was too great (my opinion of course).

They need to replace Manu, and they could be a destination for someone like George honestly. They just need a perimeter player who can defend and shoot. Avery Bradley would be the perfect player for them, though I don't see that happening this season (but possibly next).

GREATNESS ONE
05-24-2017, 02:05 AM
Keep Kawhi, and blow it up.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 10:52 AM
To be honest, I think with Kawahi, they could have held the Warriors better. Pop clearly out coached the Warriors. Just the talent disparity was too great (my opinion of course).

They need to replace Manu, and they could be a destination for someone like George honestly. They just need a perimeter player who can defend and shoot. Avery Bradley would be the perfect player for them, though I don't see that happening this season (but possibly next).

BOS might have some issues paying AB if they draft Fultz and want to keep IT/Smart. He could be the odd man out of the rotation. Depending on other moves I've suggested a S&T of Bradley for Dedmon. Dedmon addresses our need for a rebounding/rim protecting big and long-term might be an easier fit salary wise. We have the cap to potentially sign him outright but if we sign a Hayward type then it could come into play where we do a S&T.

Issue is that SAC doesn't have bird rights on him. They probably need to salary dump Danny Green to free up the room to even do a S&T. But with their cap, they likely lose Dedmon for nothing. Upgrading from Green to Bradley isn't as good as just adding Bradley but it's still an improvement - provided they're willing to pay him.

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Add CP3. if the spurs could add him they would have a legit shot at the dubs in a seven game series. they probably still lose but the disparity would be a lot closer to even.

kdspurman
05-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Yea idk why people think they stood no chance. Kawhi very much could've been the best player on the court if he was healthy. I know how much talent the Warriors have, but Durant was struggling with Kawhi guarding him, and Klay was pretty quiet. Things happen, and Pop has prepared for them pretty much since Durant signed. Who knows

I think there will be some stuff they need to do obviously. Parker is out much of the season, Mills might be gone, Manu might be gone, Dedmon might be gone, Simmons, etc.. I reeeeally hope they can get Pau to opt out, but I don't see it happening.

They'll have to work to develop Murray quickly, get Bertans some valuable time, and see what magic RC/Pop can work out in FA or via trade. Idk if they'd truly move LMA, but I'm not opposed to it at this point. I thought he'd be better in year 2, but it just hasn't panned out well enough. I'd pass on Lowry, CP3 would be great, but I don't see it.

I think they'll do whatever necessary though to try not to waste Kawhi's prime and Pop's remaining years...

bucketss
05-24-2017, 12:40 PM
how did they stand no chance when they were up like 20+ with kwahi

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Salary dump Aldridge and they have enough to offer CP3 a max.

If BOS signs Hayward I think they'd go for a Bradley for Dedmon (S&T) swap. Stretch Parker to make room to sign him and then trade him.

CP3/Murray
Bradley/Forbes
Green/Bertans
Leonard/Anderson
Gasol/Lee (re-signed for minimum)

That's the type of perimeter defense you need to stop Golden State. Tons of shooting. Guys in Gasol/Lee who can score buckets inside off the PnR and outstanding floor spacing.

kdspurman
05-24-2017, 01:18 PM
I don't think trading Parker is an option unless he tells them he plans on retiring. Otherwise, he'll retire a Spur.

MarkieMark48
05-24-2017, 01:22 PM
they had no chance, but they were up 23 in the 3rd in Oakland when Kwahi came out of the game?

europagnpilgrim
05-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Spurs should go after CP3 and if that fails Lowry and look at bringing back Hill if price is right

they should probably tell Parker to retire along with Ginobili to finally put the big 3 era to rest

try to keep Simmons or get something for him in a sign and trade

knowing how the Spurs operate they will probably let Murray get more playing time similar to how they did with the young Parker since they seem like similar players on early along with the couple other guys like Anderson/Bert

they will keep Aldridge since the reason he signed on was for Pop being there for the duration and plus I don't see them getting anything really of value for him at this moment

TheDish87
05-24-2017, 01:26 PM
The Spurs were obviously hobbled, but even at full strength, they stood no chance against the Warriors.
What does the team need to do to contend again?
Parker's likely to opt in and get his $15 million next season. Do they try and find a trade for Aldridge? Do they try to re-sign Mills, or go for another point guard? Paul's a pipe dream, but Lowry looks like an option, and Hill could be a good fit back in San Antonio, if Hayward leaves Utah.

how can you say the Spurs had no chance after how game 1 was going?

MygirlhatesCod
05-24-2017, 01:27 PM
I don't think trading Parker is an option unless he tells them he plans on retiring. Otherwise, he'll retire a Spur.

there is no way they trade parker. that's not the way that organization is ran. he has done too much for the spurs to be ran out like that.

kdspurman
05-24-2017, 01:39 PM
there is no way they trade parker. that's not the way that organization is ran. he has done too much for the spurs to be ran out like that.

Exactly

IndyRealist
05-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Parker will not be traded, though he may be asked to come off the bench if they land someone like CP3, Lowry, or George Hill.

If they salary dump Aldridge they have a huge hole to fill, and unless they have someone like Milsap verbally committed, I wouldn't do it. LMA may be the weak link and possibly overpaid, but he's still a serviceable big man on a Conference Finalist.

TrueFan420
05-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Agreed... you should hope he retires and I know that's got to be conflicting feeling because he's done so much for your organization but at his age and that cap hold it's gamble having him come back and you could do wonders with the space.

kdspurman
05-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Parker will not be traded, though he may be asked to come off the bench if they land someone like CP3, Lowry, or George Hill.

If they salary dump Aldridge they have a huge hole to fill, and unless they have someone like Milsap verbally committed, I wouldn't do it. LMA may be the weak link and possibly overpaid, but he's still a serviceable big man on a Conference Finalist.

Yea. He's just not the guy he was. Still serviceable, but not the guy he was, and I think the expectations are what frustrates people the most.

His defense has been solid overall tho, that was a nice addition.

kdspurman
05-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Agreed... you should hope he retires and I know that's got to be conflicting feeling because he's done so much for your organization but at his age and that cap hold it's gamble having him come back and you could do wonders with the space.

From that perspective, I certainly understand. But the sentimental in me wants him to go out on his own terms and not let this injury take that away from him.

I think he could be a great mentor for Murray and wouldn't be surprised if he takes a lesser deal after this season to be a bench guy. But we'll see, his injury is not an easy one to recover from, especially with all his mileage.

TrueFan420
05-24-2017, 02:29 PM
From that perspective, I certainly understand. But the sentimental in me wants him to go out on his own terms and not let this injury take that away from him.

I think he could be a great mentor for Murray and wouldn't be surprised if he takes a lesser deal after this season to be a bench guy. But we'll see, his injury is not an easy one to recover from, especially with all his mileage.

I feel and if he could opt out and come back at the vet min that would be ideal but it's also unlikely. It would suck to see him go out like this and he deserves an end similar to what Manu got game 4 but 15 million for a 35 going on 36 year old coming off injury when you have a chance at CP3 is tough to pass up as an organization. I'm sure they could offer him a role in the staff. Hell if Manu does retire I hope the warriors target him for our staff.

FOXHOUND
05-24-2017, 06:27 PM
PG

I like the idea of them transitioning Murray into the starting PG role. That may mean Parker still starting and playing limited minutes or possibly him shifting into a 2nd PG/mentor role. Depends on how he recovers. I can see Patty Mills going the way of Cory Joseph, with Pop not dealing with the market prices, but Parker's injury definitely raises the chances of him being back. Parker only has 1 more year left, so Mills could then stick with his backup PG role going forward. As long as the market price isn't nuts, I think I bring Mills back.

SG

Danny Green's solid self will be there. Manu will likely retire and Simmons is a RFA. I think it might come down to either resigning Simmons or Mills, and I would go with Simmons. Wing defenders are too valuable and he played very well vs GS while Mills and his 6'0 self struggled mightily. It's a perfect transition into a longer, more athletic Spurs team which they will need to compete with GS. A Murray-Green-Kawhi perimeter with Simmons gives them some serious defensive talent and athleticism. Forbes will be back as a 3rd SG.

SF

Kawhi and Green with some Anderson. Done.

PF

Aldridge has his one year left and I don't see him going anywhere. I don't think they can get good value and that extra cap space is kinda meaningless with the hole he would create. David Lee as a player option, and at $1.6M I doubt he takes it. The Spurs are definitely too old and slow at the PF position and need some juice. I think Bertans' role will grow.

C

Same issues going on here as PF. Pau has said he's opting in, probably also looking for that one last $16M check/year and then retirement which makes sense. Pau cannot start at C though. Dedmon has a player option at $3M, and if he opts out I don't know if you bring him back at market value. Maybe Pop largely shut him down in the postseason to keep his market value down... kidding lmao. I think...

1st Round Pick - 29th overall.

This is the Big Kahuna for them. They gotta go big and lucky for them the big talent there is actually quite nice. Do they go C, with Bam Adebayo, or PF, with Jordan Bell? Either way, they would have a super athletic, defensively talented prospect for Pop to mold into a juggernaut. Going with that defensive talent on the perimeter, RIP offenses.

Holding off on trying to get crazy in free agency will leave them with a ton of cap space in the 2018 FA market. Aldridge, Pau and Parker will clear $52M, and Danny Green opting out will clear an additional $10M. They'll want to keep Green, I'm sure. Even so, if they spent like $25M bringing Simmons and Mills back, they would have around $55M or so of cap space with Green's cap hold on board. They can do the slow retool for next year, and believe in their talents chances after promising start to this years series, and go for the huge boost in 2018.

They can actually chill on Mills, cause Cory Joseph is a UFA in 2018 and will be 27 by then lol.

Notable FAs they could target

PG
Cory Joseph (reunion party)
Seth Curry (him in that system off the bench = oh no)

SF
Paul George (Spurs could definitely be a dark horse but he seems Dwight minded right now)
Wilson Chandler (solid two-way 3/4, but health concerns)

PF
Enes Kanter (no, please)
Thaddeus Young (solid two-way small ball 4)

C
DeAndre Jordan (he half left once already...)
DeMarcus Cousins (really doubt Pop views him all that well lol)
Brook Lopez (Pop loves these throwbacks)

Murray-Curry/Joseph/Mills
Green-Simmons
Kawhi-Anderson
Bell-Young/Chandler
Jordan-Bell

I mean, would that starting five be a dream for Pop defensively or what?

Aust
05-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Stay the course, add CP3.

More-Than-Most
05-25-2017, 06:38 AM
Trade LMA... Sign CP3....... Simple.

More-Than-Most
05-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Exactly

Its just dumb... I know they wont... I get it but its stupid... moronic... dumb.. ********... The same dumb **** mark cuban did etc etc etc when it came to dirk... I am not a riley fan but he didnt fall for that crap and let wade walk over give him a **** ton..... Why does what a player does over his tenure matter currently? Its selfish if you are a GM/Owner... What I mean by that is why should the current guys suffer with a player that is a shell of them former self because of what he did years ago? Its a damned business... Would parker right now take a massive pay cut to help the team out? **** NO... and he shouldnt because ITS A BUSINESS... Its just selfish thinking... I dont give a **** if its Jordan in his prime the second he shows he isnt worth even half of his contract you ship his *** out and retool... If you cant do that you shouldnt be the GM.

Scoots
05-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Its just dumb... I know they wont... I get it but its stupid... moronic... dumb.. ********... The same dumb **** mark cuban did etc etc etc when it came to dirk... I am not a riley fan but he didnt fall for that crap and let wade walk over give him a **** ton..... Why does what a player does over his tenure matter currently? Its selfish if you are a GM/Owner... What I mean by that is why should the current guys suffer with a player that is a shell of them former self because of what he did years ago? Its a damned business... Would parker right now take a massive pay cut to help the team out? **** NO... and he shouldnt because ITS A BUSINESS... Its just selfish thinking... I dont give a **** if its Jordan in his prime the second he shows he isnt worth even half of his contract you ship his *** out and retool... If you cant do that you shouldnt be the GM.

Some GMs/Coaches just can't do it. Montana, Lott, and Rice didn't finish in SF, Gretzky didn't finish in Edmonton, Kareem didn't finish in Milwaukee, Packers traded Favre, Vikings traded Tarkenton, and on and on ... it's not easy but you make the move that is best for the franchise for the next five years not what feels best, you won't always be right, but more often than not the aged vet really can't be good enough, healthy enough, often enough to drive the bus anymore.

IndyRealist
05-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Eh. The Spurs have a culture and reputation to uphold, and a big part of that is how they treat their players. There's a reason the Spurs can regularly talk guys into taking less money, and recruit players like LMA despite being in sleepy San Antonio.

They've been perennial contenders for two decades. I think they run their business just fine

BKLYNpigeon
05-25-2017, 09:44 AM
The Spurs won 61 games.

The Spurs are a loyal franchise and they take care of their own. They won't dump Parker, period.

Nothing they do will top the warriors in talent. Kawhi is only 25 years old. Be smart and build for the future 2-3 years down the road.

BKLYNpigeon
05-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Eh. The Spurs have a culture and reputation to uphold, and a big part of that is how they treat their players. There's a reason the Spurs can regularly talk guys into taking less money, and recruit players like LMA despite being in sleepy San Antonio.

They've been perennial contenders for two decades. I think they run their business just fine

They can talk their own players in taking less money becuase they kinda cheat the system and for pay players at the end of their career like Manu.

Aldridge is the only notible FA that the Spurs signed in the last decade or so.

Landing CP3 would be huge, but expect him to get the full max wherever he goes. He's the president of the players association, he has to set an example and no take take discounts.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Outscores the Warriors by a quarter of a century while missing their starting point guard means they couldn't even compete when healthy?

Hmm... seems legit.

I'm going to guess that were they to bring in CP3, and they were healthy, they'd more than stand a chance against the Warriors.

mrblisterdundee
05-25-2017, 12:37 PM
how can you say the Spurs had no chance after how game 1 was going?

they had no chance, but they were up 23 in the 3rd in Oakland when Kwahi came out of the game?

how did they stand no chance when they were up like 20+ with kwahi

Yea idk why people think they stood no chance.

That lead was a fluke. It was only a matter of time before Golden State started clicking. And when that happened, no amount of masterful defense from Leonard, even accompanied by Aldridge rediscovering his midrange dominance, would beat them. And for all the great defense Leonard plays on Durant, Green can do the same on Leonard. Meanwhile, Golden State has three players who can single-handedly offensively sink the Spurs, who only have one who can do the same to the Warriors.

JLynn943
05-25-2017, 02:02 PM
They should get Cousins (from when DMC was in Sac, I think there is a lot of respect between Pop and Cuz). It's just probably not realistic unless Aldridge goes. He could become so much better there, and he's already a great player.

kdspurman
05-25-2017, 02:10 PM
That lead was a fluke. It was only a matter of time before Golden State started clicking. And when that happened, no amount of masterful defense from Leonard, even accompanied by Aldridge rediscovering his midrange dominance, would beat them. And for all the great defense Leonard plays on Durant, Green can do the same on Leonard. Meanwhile, Golden State has three players who can single-handedly offensively sink the Spurs, who only have one who can do the same to the Warriors.

In your opinion... That was the 3rd 20+ point lead they had on GS that season. But sure, it was a fluke.

kdspurman
05-25-2017, 02:13 PM

That's certainly your opinion. SA has done quite well and is well respected for taking care of it's franchise players.

Riley/Wade was a completely different situation. TP/Manu, those guys helped keep a solid team by not demanding huge money when they were in their primes. So if they get rewarded later on, who cares. They could've went elsewhere and got more money, no doubt about it.

And btw, once TP's contract is over, (if he returns) I have no doubt he would take a massive pay cut to keep them competitive.

Heediot
05-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Whoever said wait a few years and use the Cap is probably right. Unless something magically falls your way, save the Cap money for when the Cavs and Warriors are a bit weaker due to cap restrictions/luxury tax.

SfgiantsJD3
05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Whoever said wait a few years and use the Cap is probably right. Unless something magically falls your way, save the Cap money for when the Cavs and Warriors are a bit weaker due to cap restrictions/luxury tax.

Both teams healthy it would have been a 6 or 7 game series, GS still the favorite but maybe SA playing at a 9 or 9.5 vs a 10 instead of a 7 vs a 10.

Bostonjorge
05-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Trade for Okafor and have Duncan work with him

Tg11
05-27-2017, 12:29 PM
But then the Spurs have to get rid of Manu and Parker in order to land someone like CP3 or even Kyle Lowry but then if they get rid of Aldridge then they are going to need a big man to fill the void so that is where Millsap comes into play so you get CP3 and Millsap potentially then the Spurs would have a legit shot at an NBA title

DanG
05-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Get CP3 and contend.

You can't waste Kawhi's prime years so you gotta try and win now. Don't trade Aldridge since he'll benefit the most from CP3.

flea
05-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Trade for Okafor and have Duncan work with him

I don't know if Okafor is the right guy but I agree with this idea. Trade for a guy a little younger than Kawhi who has been in the league a bit but who doesn't appear to have a future on his team. Okafor does have a really smooth game like Duncan (and unlike LMA) so maybe it could work but he's got a ways to go before he's a starting big man on a contender.

Trey Lyles, Kanter, Okafor, Favors, etc. Lots of big men go out of fashion these days because there isn't a legitimate 2-way big man in the NBA at all today on any team. I think any one of those guys could grow as a secondary star next to Kawhi and none are too old. Kawhi is such a good scorer that I think you've got to keep him in big lineups for defensive reasons. You only go small if you have to - and as much as people want to point to small ball the 2 super-teams this year are notable for how big they are.

If the Spurs don't sign CP3, they've still potentially got their future at PG, SG, SF and a backup wing and small ball 4 in Simmons and Anderson if they want to sign them. Find a legitimate big man and the rest should fill out nicely considering Kawhi's window has just opened and you've already got about 5 of your future 7 man rotation in the system if you want them.

eDush
05-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Trade for Okafor and have Duncan work with himExcellent idea as Pop has a way of getting the most of his players playing solid fundamental basketball and any weakness can be covered by other players on the court. Okafor solid post game with his footwork has come closes to Duncan than anyone else in the L which the Sixers are not taken advantage of due to his conditioning and injuries. Besides they have too many capable big men on their roster.

The Spurs seems to struggle to score against very good teams when Kawhi is not on the floor. Let's make this trade happen by trading Lee, Dedmon plus 2 future first as a feeler but I don't think that is enough. Include Patty Mills or Green if they ask.

:clap::nod::dance::nod::clap: