PDA

View Full Version : If Cavs sweep the ship, how is the league fixable?

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 01:34 AM
If the Cavs sweep the NBA finals is the league doomed? People are already crying about super teams and a 3 team race...but if Cleveland sweeps, then that just means the even the most stacked super team of all time cannot contend with a well constructed Lebron lead team. So if you break up all super teams, you make the league even more one sided because Lebron would own this league to a degree that fans would really hate. At this level, he would sweep every year if not for a team like GS. But if GS gets swept out of the finals, has does the league create any parity?

valade16
05-21-2017, 01:38 AM
There's absolutely no way the Cavs sweep the Finals. If there was a bet I could make to that effect I'd bet all my earthly possessions on there not being a sweep.

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 02:11 AM
There's absolutely no way the Cavs sweep the Finals. If there was a bet I could make to that effect I'd bet all my earthly possessions on there not being a sweep.

But if they do, then what?

Quinnsanity
05-21-2017, 02:25 AM

This. It's cute that IKH thinks that this is possible. Change the thread title to "if the Warriors sweep the ship." At least a legitimate possibility exists there. More likely based on the level both of these teams are playing at, the series is somewhat close. But with the Warriors' talent a sweep is at least possible. Barring injury, there is a zero percent chance that Golden State gets swept. It will not happen.

More-Than-Most
05-21-2017, 02:42 AM
warriors sweeping is far more likely man... id bet my life the cavs wouldnt sweep without any doubts lol.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Ugh.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-21-2017, 09:11 AM
LeBron's shelf life is probably 3 more years before he nose dives. Also Warriors will have their big 4 that all need super max deals within 2 to 4 years. So the problem will fix it self soon enough. Healthy Bucks team would of topped the Raptors and gave the Cavs a run for their money.

hugepatsfan
05-21-2017, 09:17 AM
The saddest thing is that everyone keeps saying hopefully the finals make up for the weak games so far but on paper the Warriors are much better than the Cavs.

warfelg
05-21-2017, 09:19 AM
This. It's cute that IKH thinks that this is possible. Change the thread title to "if the Warriors sweep the ship." At least a legitimate possibility exists there. More likely based on the level both of these teams are playing at, the series is somewhat close. But with the Warriors' talent a sweep is at least possible. Barring injury, there is a zero percent chance that Golden State gets swept. It will not happen.

Well said.

If Bron's Cavs manage to sweep the Warriors we just throw up our hands and say he's the goat.

If the Warriors sweep I expect the next CBA to result in a lengthy lockout.

warfelg
05-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Also another issue has been the number of series altering injuries that happened this year over other years.

Vinylman
05-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Also another issue has been the number of series altering injuries that happened this year over other years.

huh?

no series favorite have lost a player...

these playoffs have played out exactly as expected...

I am actually hoping one of the teams in the finals has one or two top players get hurt and there is a blowout... don't really care which team it is

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm pretty confident in the Cavs winning it all this year barring injury. I also believe Bron is GOAT this playoffs so, anything is possible. I think Lebron is going to overpower GS...and nothing would really surprise me accept a GS sweep of the Cavs.

tredigs
05-21-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm liking the confidence. Now I don't have to hear about how OP the Warriors are.

Vee-Rex
05-21-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm predicting Cavs in 6. People doubt us, IKH. It's about what happens on the court, not on paper. You heard it here first.

Game 1 - Cavs win
Game 2 - Warriors win
Game 3 - Cavs win
Game 4 - Cavs win
Game 5 - Warriors win
Game 6 - Cavs win

And I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if LeBron closes them out game 5 in Oracle.

warfelg
05-21-2017, 04:02 PM
huh?

no series favorite have lost a player...

these playoffs have played out exactly as expected...

I am actually hoping one of the teams in the finals has one or two top players get hurt and there is a blowout... don't really care which team it is

I'm talking about the underdog team losing a player that could have made the series more interesting.

Kawhi going out makes that series just about over, where as if he's in there's at least closer games. Same with Lowry in that Cav's series. Rondo in the C's series.

kdspurman
05-21-2017, 04:15 PM

Then hopefully SA is healthy next year

kdspurman
05-21-2017, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty confident in the Cavs winning it all this year barring injury. I also believe Bron is GOAT this playoffs so, anything is possible. I think Lebron is going to overpower GS...and nothing would really surprise me accept a GS sweep of the Cavs.

I think Cavs will win too honestly. I'm not a fan of either team.

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm liking the confidence. Now I don't have to hear about how OP the Warriors are.

You'll just have to hear how GOAT Bron is lol

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm predicting Cavs in 6. People doubt us, IKH. It's about what happens on the court, not on paper. You heard it here first.

Game 1 - Cavs win
Game 2 - Warriors win
Game 3 - Cavs win
Game 4 - Cavs win
Game 5 - Warriors win
Game 6 - Cavs win

And I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if LeBron closes them out game 5 in Oracle.

I feel you on this and agree 100%. a Cavs sweep would make me loose my ish. I basically would never have to post on here again and everything I have ever said about Bron instantly becomes one of the 10 commandments of basket ball. I will then change my c
Screen name to Mosesknowshoops. Get ready

Heediot
05-21-2017, 04:26 PM
I picked the Cavs last year to beat GS, but this year GS will be too much. Cleveland hasn''t faced an elite offense in the playoffs this year and have looked amazing, so I give them credit for doing what they had to do in a dominating way. I just think the addition of KD stretches the Cavs defense a bit too far for them to counter. Last year they did real good switching on the shooters and offensive threats and made things difficult for the Warriors. I just don't see that happening when you have two of the best scorers, and a third guy who can drop 40-50 on any given night when he is zoning. Warriors in 5, 6 Max, 20 Percent chance of sweep.

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Also this thread becomes the blueprint of how "iknowhoops" does his thing. Just coming with that knowledge well before people are ready, get hated on, then end up being right. Just like 3 years ago when I said Bron was coasting and even Flash thought I was making excuses. Now it's common knowledge that he absolutely coasts but everyone forgets how I had to eat s--- for a year when nobody believed it.

nastynice
05-21-2017, 04:31 PM
While I agree that the championship is the Cavs' to lose, I think there is something going on in golden state that clevelands not aware of. Looks like both west coast stars are beginning to take that step in learning how to win and be a champion

That's what everything hinges on. If lebron keeps the mental edge, Cavs are in the driver seat, if curry and KD can come close to lebron in that sense, then we driving

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 04:34 PM
I picked the Cavs last year to beat GS, but this year GS will be too much. Cleveland hasn''t faced an elite offense in the playoffs this year and have looked amazing, so I give them credit for doing what they had to do in a dominating way. I just think the addition of KD stretches the Cavs defense a bit too far for them to counter. Last year they did real good switching on the shooters and offensive threats and made things difficult for the Warriors. I just don't see that happening when you have two of the best scorers, and a third guy who can drop 40-50 on any given night when he is zoning. Warriors in 5, 6 Max, 20 Percent chance of sweep.

I feel you, but this year Bron has zero weaknesses to his game. He can't be stopped or game planned at this point. This Lebron will be to much for any team...that's my opinion anyway. Bron figured out the last piece and is now a full fledged Jedi Master.

likemystylez
05-21-2017, 04:47 PM
The saddest thing is that everyone keeps saying hopefully the finals make up for the weak games so far but on paper the Warriors are much better than the Cavs.

As a warriors fan, I felt this way going into the playoffs, but on paper lebron james isnt as dominant as the lebron james on the court during the playoffs.

Also on paper warriors were the better team last season too- didnt equal a championship

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 06:21 PM
As a warriors fan, I felt this way going into the playoffs, but on paper lebron james isnt as dominant as the lebron james on the court during the playoffs.

Also on paper warriors were the better team last season too- didnt equal a championship

Lebron new dominance is still to "new" for people o understand what it equals on paper. After this series is over we will know what kind of impact "Deep Ball Bron" has against the best team ever assembled.

Scoots
05-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Wait

Yanks All Day
05-21-2017, 09:12 PM
As long as no one gets hurt, I think the Cavs are taking home the championship. I can go into the fact they'll have the best player, deeper team, mental edge, etc. But the plain fact is: They're just playing better right now. 1-10, they're clicking.

The Cavs starters will play just as well, if not better, than the Warriors starters. The Warriors added KD, but fir the Finals this year, it looks like the Cavs added Kevin Love, who was a non factor last year. But overall I trust Cleveland's bench a lot more right now, especially when it's LeBron and 4 shooters. It'll be a good series, but a healthy Cavs team is better than a healthy Warriors squad right now.

Heediot
05-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Cavs have been shooting lights out for these playoffs, my concern is they need to save some of that to counter the Warriors potent offense/shooting. They are due for a slump from range, better to have a couple of bad 3 point games against the c's then have it in the finals where the margin for error is minimal. Regression to the mean may occur with ill timing.

Jamiecballer
05-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Well it's a stupid question. If the Cavs win it'll be because LeBron is playing otherworldly, the Warriors are still head and shoulders above everyone else in overall talent.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

IKnowHoops
05-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Bron back in coast mode lol

valade16
05-21-2017, 10:08 PM
A lot of people are picking the Cavs it seems. A lot of people will be disappointed...

Vee-Rex
05-21-2017, 10:09 PM
Bruh, if the Cavs shoot in the finals the way they've been shooting in the playoffs the Warriors are finished.

IDGAF how many stars they have on their team. Cavs are drilling contested shots left and right. They're dominating with beautiful offense while simultaneously just scoring THROUGH defenses.

I don't even think the Warriors could do the Celtics this way - hell, Celtics have fared well in their matchups.

Sly Guy
05-21-2017, 10:22 PM
LeBron's shelf life is probably 3 more years before he nose dives. Also Warriors will have their big 4 that all need super max deals within 2 to 4 years. So the problem will fix it self soon enough. Healthy Bucks team would of topped the Raptors and gave the Cavs a run for their money.

nah, not this year. They're a couple years' away. Giannis needs an outside shot, and the team needs to be more than just him to challenge the Cavs. They'll be a contender immediately after LeBron slides from his 'best player in the world' status.

koreancabbage
05-21-2017, 11:04 PM
/thread

IndyRealist
05-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Well, this is embarassing.

Quinnsanity
05-21-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm taking bets on IKH's response:

2-to-1: Cavs weren't trying, this is no different than if they'd swept anyway.

5-to-1: Cavs run to the Finals still more impressive than the Warriors.

10-to-1: This just proves that the Cavs will sweep the Warriors since they've gotten their loss out of the way now.

Scoots
05-22-2017, 12:36 AM
See. I said to wait.

europagnpilgrim
05-22-2017, 12:57 AM

Just based on the 2 games they played this year I don't see how Lebron will overpower the Dubs, they blew a 14pt lead at Cleveland and then we all know how the other game ended, it was the game 2 of Cavs-Celtics all over again pretty much minus 9 pts

Lebron is good enough for a victory(1 game) similar to how last year was about to play out before the injury/suspension, they were down 3-1 to a lesser Dubs team which now is built more stronger for a playoff series to the max effect, KD makes them stupid strong with being able to substitute and keep 2 of the big 4 on the court at all times, KD/Curry can be on the court with Klay from tip to end barring foul trouble/injuries

I pull for Lebron as much as the next but I know when to call a spade a spade regardless of how much I want a certain player to win, both teams have won with injury/suspension playing a major part so this 3rd time around I feel GS will put all the chatter about who is the dominant team to rest with both teams looking like they will be at full strength for most part

sjbirds
05-22-2017, 01:02 AM
LeBron is gassed with the top notch competition he's faced.. Haha 0 points in 4th.. mavs all over again

FOXHOUND
05-22-2017, 01:09 AM
https://youtu.be/wtfoRESVir0?t=30s

jason
05-22-2017, 01:42 AM
Can't wait till this turns out like his Vikings thread on made week 5 lol

GoferKing_
05-22-2017, 02:20 AM
Is there a race for a "Worst Thread Ever" award or something like that going on?

IF there is how high would you rank this thread?

CityofTreez
05-22-2017, 02:30 AM
Also this thread becomes the blueprint of how "iknowhoops" does his thing. Just coming with that knowledge well before people are ready, get hated on, then end up being right. Just like 3 years ago when I said Bron was coasting and even Flash thought I was making excuses. Now it's common knowledge that he absolutely coasts but everyone forgets how I had to eat s--- for a year when nobody believed it.

Hey **** eater. Chew with your mouth closed!

Vinylman
05-22-2017, 06:58 AM
I'm talking about the underdog team losing a player that could have made the series more interesting.

Kawhi going out makes that series just about over, where as if he's in there's at least closer games. Same with Lowry in that Cav's series. Rondo in the C's series.

you must be a writer for bspn or TNTitties pushing the league narrative

face it... the NBA is garbage right now

PayDaPiper
05-22-2017, 09:24 AM
If Cavs sweep, I will legally rename my son Lebron.

Cavs offense isn't so fluid when the defense is actually trying, shocker

Hopper15
05-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Bruh, if the Cavs shoot in the finals the way they've been shooting in the playoffs the Warriors are finished.

IDGAF how many stars they have on their team. Cavs are drilling contested shots left and right. They're dominating with beautiful offense while simultaneously just scoring THROUGH defenses.

I don't even think the Warriors could do the Celtics this way - hell, Celtics have fared well in their matchups.

If I was you I would be thinking more about the Cavs defense. You just gave up 111 to a team without their best offensive player. That's very concerning.

Vee-Rex
05-22-2017, 10:53 AM
If I was you I would be thinking more about the Cavs defense. You just gave up 111 to a team without their best offensive player. That's very concerning.

Cavs had a horrendous half. Up 66 to 50 and the opponent doesn't have its best player - easy recipe for slacking off. It happens.

The overreactions so far are hilarious, considering there were a lot of crickets beforehand.

Scoots
05-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Cavs had a horrendous half. Up 66 to 50 and the opponent doesn't have its best player - easy recipe for slacking off. It happens.

The overreactions so far are hilarious, considering there were a lot of crickets beforehand.

Have you read the thread title?

tredigs
05-22-2017, 12:31 PM

He does indeed coast. He can also go missing.

In either case, the thread title/premise is in fact hilarious and ridiculous. But I am very glad you made it.

SteBO
05-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Cavs have had a sweet and easy ride through the east, so they aren't coming close to sweeping anybody of worth (GS). But as I've said before, they're playing with house money and I've seen the damage LBJ does when the expectations are low.....there's no fixing that.

lol, please
05-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Can't wait till this turns out like his Vikings thread on made week 5 lol

:laugh:

8kobe24
05-22-2017, 02:27 PM

You do not know hoops brah

Vee-Rex
05-22-2017, 06:26 PM
Have you read the thread title?

Yes, but why does one game (one horrendous half specifically) bring out replies from the woodworks? If you (general) believe that the Cavs sweeping the Warriors is pretty impossible, why does it take a game vs. Boston to instill confidence to come out swinging against it? Game 3 doesn't somehow solidify your argument against this thread (I'm assuming he meant sweep the finals, not go 16-0).

Idk, am I over-analyzing it?

Scoots
05-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Yes, but why does one game (one horrendous half specifically) bring out replies from the woodworks? If you (general) believe that the Cavs sweeping the Warriors is pretty impossible, why does it take a game vs. Boston to instill confidence to come out swinging against it? Game 3 doesn't somehow solidify your argument against this thread (I'm assuming he meant sweep the finals, not go 16-0).

Idk, am I over-analyzing it?

I think he did mean 16-0.

tredigs
05-23-2017, 02:22 PM
As impressive as the Cavs have been, I'm still not seeing a defense from them that is going to be able to withstand the onslaught of open shots that is likely coming their way. Their rotations are still sloppy and they just allow a ton of good looks. Even in the first two games of this series, the Celtics were just missing everything in sight. Zero ability to capitalize on their chances. They're also going from having not played a top 10 D to playing the games best D. They're also going to see a different Curry in this Final. Fandom aside, I just don't see a clear path where we could have them as favorites.

hugepatsfan
05-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Celtics have been pretty consistently getting open looks at will throughout the entire series. Even in the first 2 and a half games they were getting very good looks, just not converting at all. You guys can't defend if the ball keeps moving. GS's passing is exceptional and that figures to give you guys enormous problems.

Vee-Rex
05-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Celtics have been pretty consistently getting open looks at will throughout the entire series. Even in the first 2 and a half games they were getting very good looks, just not converting at all. You guys can't defend if the ball keeps moving. GS's passing is exceptional and that figures to give you guys enormous problems.

Celtics aren't getting open looks at will for anyone other than Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, and Al Horford - all are not exceptional 3-point shooters.

Avery Bradley has had some here and there but not to the extent of the above guys - and he didn't shoot super well from 3 vs. the Wizards either. IT wasn't able to buy an open look with his entire salary when he was playing.

The same was said with Toronto and Indiana. It's not some sort of poltergeist going around causing these teams to miss open shots - the ones bricking so many open shots are usually the ones who aren't great 3-point shooters.

I'm sure the Celtics can shoot better (as they did in game 3), but the Cavs are clearly attempting to guide the open shots to the weaker shooters and it has been effective (though not when Smart goes 7/10 from beyond the arc).

Edit: Obviously this becomes a lot more difficult against a team like GS, but defending them is a problem every team would have with them.