PDA

View Full Version : Non Star Players that will 'get paid' this offseason?

CityofChaos
05-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Javale Mcgee and Jonathan Simmons probably are first to come to mind for everyone due to the playoff exposure. Anyone else? Serge Ibaka? Olynk? Jokic?

lol, please
05-20-2017, 10:26 PM
How is Ibaka not a star? lol.

Bertans, but no way the Spurs get rid of him. Olynk a quick second.

Quinnsanity
05-20-2017, 10:34 PM

Bertans is locked in next season.

What's the definition of "get paid?" J.J. Redick will make more money than Joe Ingles. But I could see a lot of people being surprised by how much Ingles gets while Redick might make less than expected.

But if you're looking for guys who are going to get bigger contracts than casual fans expect? Ingles, DeWayne Dedmon, James Johnson, Ian Clark and Milos Teodosic (Euro guy). Simmons and McGee are probably getting decent contracts as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if McGee stayed with the Warriors regardless. He's made a good amount of money and knows what non-Warriors NBA life looks like.

CityofChaos
05-20-2017, 10:44 PM

Tell me how he is?

CityofChaos
05-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Bertans is locked in next season.

What's the definition of "get paid?" J.J. Redick will make more money than Joe Ingles. But I could see a lot of people being surprised by how much Ingles gets while Redick might make less than expected.

But if you're looking for guys who are going to get bigger contracts than casual fans expect? Ingles, DeWayne Dedmon, James Johnson, Ian Clark and Milos Teodosic (Euro guy). Simmons and McGee are probably getting decent contracts as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if McGee stayed with the Warriors regardless. He's made a good amount of money and knows what non-Warriors NBA life looks like.

earning a decent contract (above vet minimum, obviously )that he otherwise wouldn't receive if he didn't / weren't playing good this 16-17 season?

I like Ingles and Clark from your list.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Snell will get $10M or $12M per easily. Just for fitting in as a role player as 3 and D wing. He wouldn't of got this kinda money if he was buried on the bench if we had a healthy Parker and Middleton.

warfelg
05-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Snell will get $10M or $12M per easily. Just for fitting in as a role player as 3 and D wing. He wouldn't of got this kinda money if he was buried on the bench if we had a healthy Parker and Middleton.

More like $15-19mil.

For Philly we're talking about Robert Covington getting extended and the consensus is that he's going to get $18-$21mil a year and he's better than Snell.

Scoots
05-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Javale Mcgee and Jonathan Simmons probably are first to come to mind for everyone due to the playoff exposure. Anyone else? Serge Ibaka? Olynk? Jokic?

A lot of people would say Jokic is a star. Mcgee may choose to stay with the Warriors, and they don't have a lot of money to throw around.

warfelg
05-21-2017, 09:39 AM
A lot of people would say Jokic is a star. Mcgee may choose to stay with the Warriors, and they don't have a lot of money to throw around.

McGee should and will stay. He's found a team that "deals" with his antics, and actually backs him on it. His role suits him.

I think what should scare the Warriors though is the feeling they can let Zaza walk and start McGee.

jon32
05-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Could see someone throwing 10 or 11M at P.J Tucker

Scoots
05-21-2017, 03:28 PM
McGee should and will stay. He's found a team that "deals" with his antics, and actually backs him on it. His role suits him.

I think what should scare the Warriors though is the feeling they can let Zaza walk and start McGee.

They are going to try to keep and start West and will look for another ring chasing big too, and will mix McGee and Jones in at C as well.

Quinnsanity
05-21-2017, 04:25 PM

Also Jokic is under contract for two more years. So there's that too. Can't believe I missed that.

5ass
05-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Tell me how he is?

He's not, and he'll be making near max money.

Aust
05-21-2017, 06:51 PM
More like $15-19mil.

For Philly we're talking about Robert Covington getting extended and the consensus is that he's going to get $18-$21mil a year and he's better than Snell.

Is most of that money for his defense?

warfelg
05-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Is most of that money for his defense?

3 and D

eDush
05-21-2017, 08:11 PM
He's not, and he'll be making near max money.

Not sure how others defined star players :shrug:

For me he needs to make the All NBA or All Defensive FIRST team (not 2nd or 3rd team) to be referred to as a star. If he is also voted to an All Star game more than once would also qualify.

Ibaka is a 3x times back to back to back first teamer!!! :cheer:

maddBat
05-21-2017, 09:18 PM
id say otto porter and caldwell-pope. expecting brooklyn to offer them the max. but since they r rfa, im expecting the wizards and pistons to match. i wouldnt call them "stars" but they will get paid

aman_13
05-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Ibaka is star caliber but not someone you think about as an all star.

Quinnsanity
05-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Ibaka is star caliber but not someone you think about as an all star.

I have Ibaka as the 58th best player in basketball. That is not a star caliber player. He'll get a big contract this summer, but no he is not a star.

aman_13
05-22-2017, 12:22 AM
I have Ibaka as the 58th best player in basketball. That is not a star caliber player. He'll get a big contract this summer, but no he is not a star.

We agree on that.

FOXHOUND
05-22-2017, 12:53 AM
More like $15-19mil.

Oh my god, that would be a disaster. Covington is a really good defender but you pay him half that or let him walk. :speechless:

Pfeifer
05-22-2017, 01:15 AM
Ibaka showed he was a selfish player on both ends of the court in Toronto. Not worth the money he will get.

5ass
05-22-2017, 03:26 AM
Not sure how others defined star players :shrug:

For me he needs to make the All NBA or All Defensive FIRST team (not 2nd or 3rd team) to be referred to as a star. If he is also voted to an All Star game more than once would also qualify.

Ibaka is a 3x times back to back to back first teamer!!! :cheer:
Those days are gone. He's far from an elite defender.

eDush
05-22-2017, 03:36 AM
Those days are gone. He's far from an elite defender.

So MJ and Larry Bird are no longer stars cause those days are long gone too?!?

That's what you seem to be implying...
:facepalm:

eDush
05-22-2017, 03:46 AM
More like $15-19mil.

Snell is not THAT good otherwise teams sure have money to burn due to the upcoming team cap :shrug:

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-22-2017, 09:45 AM
id say otto porter and caldwell-pope. expecting brooklyn to offer them the max. but since they r rfa, im expecting the wizards and pistons to match. i wouldnt call them "stars" but they will get paid

Matching a max deal on KCP puts Detroit in luxury tax just to be the same team. They already were sniffing offers for Drummond and Jackson at the trade deadline. Drummond regressed. Seems like he nose dived after Moose bolted. Detroit needs to blow it up and get rid of Drummond and Jackson. A lot of dead money just with them two.

warfelg
05-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Oh my god, that would be a disaster. Covington is a really good defender but you pay him half that or let him walk. :speechless:

He was a top 10 wing defender and is a really good shooter. This is also the mold of the modern NBA salary landscape. He'll get beat that amount.

tp13baby
05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't be surprised seeing Gary Harris getting a max or near max contract this offseason.

Scoots
05-22-2017, 12:30 PM
So much money getting thrown at players "not worth it". Owners/GMs overpaying is why the max contract was created, so the same owners/gms are now overpaying more players rather than fewer than they used to.

TheDish87
05-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Noel

FOXHOUND
05-22-2017, 04:27 PM
He was a top 10 wing defender and is a really good shooter. This is also the mold of the modern NBA salary landscape. He'll get beat that amount.

I'd say that really good is a stretch, more solid on the shooting. But yeah, tremendous defensive wing. Still man, $18-21M!? There's no way in hell he commands that kind of money, chill lol. $9-11M, sure.

kobe4thewinbang
05-22-2017, 04:36 PM
I gotta say, I'm happy for JaVale McGee. He had a big-ish contract with the Nuggets, then sort of couldn't find his way to...the Celtics I think it was...then he wound up in Dallas and mainly rode the bench. He still has those 'moments' but with the Warriors, he's returned to form pretty much and it's a good fit for him.

:clap:

I think Ibaka will reel in a big offer, hopefully from the Raptors, but he'd be good on the Spurs too. They need a big guy that can shoot *and* defend, but probably out of the Spurs free-agency nightmare range. They got their hands full, but that's another story.

Dedmon will get paid, for sure. Patty Mills probably too.

Lots of FAs on the Clippers. Jrue Holiday should get a big deal. Nick Young could probably upgrade his next year's salary if he opts out, which the Lakers are begging him to do cuz they want to move on despite his recovery season.

Guys like Otto Porter, JJ Reddick...George Hill had a good season with the Jazz. If he bolts, I could see it swaying Hayward away or to stay in defiance. Galinari might get his last big contract, despite his injuries. Waiters played well for the Heat. Taj Gibson might get a good deal. Mavericks gotta retain Noel, who should get a nice deal. KCP will get a BIG deal, and Pistons would be crazy to let him go. Iguodala is another guy that will net a big contract again. Roberson...I wonder what OKC would offer, cuz his shooting is horrible, even from the FT line. Rudy Gay is no longer a star, but he is reportedly ahead of schedule. The injury might hurt the offers, but he can still score. Be interesting if Warriors keep Livingston.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Ibaka showed he was a selfish player on both ends of the court in Toronto. Not worth the money he will get.

Yahoo been reporting seems Ibaka will stay for $20M per. Bit steep when he was on the decline with Thunder and didn't show much with Magic. Bit pricey for Raptors to keep a old guy.

warfelg
05-22-2017, 06:22 PM
I'd say that really good is a stretch, more solid on the shooting. But yeah, tremendous defensive wing. Still man, $18-21M!? There's no way in hell he commands that kind of money, chill lol. $9-11M, sure.

35% 3pt shooter, 13/6/2 with 1.6 steals and 0.7 blocks per game. Added a better handle and better drive game as the season went on.

Danny Green under the old salary structure got $10mil per year. RoCo gonna cash in for much more.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-22-2017, 06:25 PM
More like $15-19mil.

Snell isn't worth $15M to $19M. On our Bucks board we barely want him for $10M to $12M per without salary dumping Henson or Telly or Delly. Bucks better let him walk for more then $12M per. Or sign and trade for a young asset. I know Wolves were kicking the tires on a Snell trade. But they probably figured give up nothing and try and land him this summer as a RFA. Even though our front office been praising him and mentioned we plan on bring him back. Snell will have a lessor role come next February once Parker is back cause we will have Middleton as well. So Snell becomes 6th man after Parker is 100%.

More-Than-Most
05-22-2017, 06:28 PM

Sure if this was years ago... last year and the year before that all changed... With the new salary jump he wont get less than 17.... 18-21 is likely.

JAZZNC
05-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Absolutely amazing what a simply competent NBA starter/6th man is gonna get paid these days. I feel like this kind of ridiculous salary is gonna all come crashing down at some point. It's like the housing market years back. This kind of spending on players can't continue can it?

warfelg
05-22-2017, 08:39 PM
Absolutely amazing what a simply competent NBA starter/6th man is gonna get paid these days. I feel like this kind of ridiculous salary is gonna all come crashing down at some point. It's like the housing market years back. This kind of spending on players can't continue can it?

As long as the cap stays above 100Mil and you only need 13-15 players then yes it will continue.

FOXHOUND
05-22-2017, 10:59 PM
35% 3pt shooter, 13/6/2 with 1.6 steals and 0.7 blocks per game. Added a better handle and better drive game as the season went on.

Danny Green under the old salary structure got $10mil per year. RoCo gonna cash in for much more.

Sure if this was years ago... last year and the year before that all changed... With the new salary jump he wont get less than 17.... 18-21 is likely.

I think you guys are jumping the gun on this. The cap is leveling out now, all the prior signings were done on the basis of the cap rising. There will always be dumb teams who make bad signings like Deng, Mozgov and... Noah, but that doesn't mean you have to. If I was a Philly fan and they extended Covington for $18-21M I would be furious.

europagnpilgrim
05-23-2017, 12:17 AM
So much money getting thrown at players "not worth it". Owners/GMs overpaying is why the max contract was created, so the same owners/gms are now overpaying more players rather than fewer than they used to.

Its crazy when you sit back and think about it, Adams just got 105mill for 9ppg and 10rpg and setting decent screens, amazing

I said this is the golden age for nba contracts, Jazz overpaid for Goebert as well but it is what it be

these upcoming free agents are about to clean house and not be worth half of it in actual value/game/impact wise

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Millsap opted out of $21.4M player option. Probably he read that Ibaka is good for $20M per. Millsap will get a ton more.

warfelg
05-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Millsap opted out of $21.4M player option. Probably he read that Ibaka is good for $20M per. Millsap will get a ton more.

He was likely to opt out for a while. One of those players that would be opting out for one last pay day all along regardless of what happened.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-23-2017, 08:49 AM
I'm still waiting to hear if Moose/Hawes opt out.

Hawkeye15
05-23-2017, 10:32 AM

those are the 2 that immediately came to mind.

maltmonger
05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
As a Raptors fan, I look at Ibaka and PJ Tucker and know they are going to get paid. I just hope that in at least one of those cases it is the Raps that are paying.

Then I look over at Patrick Patterson and just know that some team is going to make him a ridiculous offer that they will regret in less than a year. Nothing against Patterson - he is a good player that fills a big need for Toronto - but he's going to get stupid money and be asked to do more than the role he has played well and it will end poorly (not for him though with all the cash he'll have).

tp13baby
05-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Its crazy when you sit back and think about it, Adams just got 105mill for 9ppg and 10rpg and setting decent screens, amazing

I said this is the golden age for nba contracts, Jazz overpaid for Goebert as well but it is what it be

these upcoming free agents are about to clean house and not be worth half of it in actual value/game/impact wise

Do you watch basketball? The best defensive big in the league and one of the most efficient offensively doesn't deserve that money?

da ThRONe
05-23-2017, 12:05 PM
those are the 2 that immediately came to mind.

Same here. Role players at there best as of now and because the market for wings aren't great somebody's going to throw a max.

Kyben36
05-23-2017, 12:24 PM
niko will be paid big time money by a team like the nets. at least, imo.