PDA

View Full Version : Should the Lakers trade for Paul George or should they wait until 2018?

joeystats
05-18-2017, 11:33 PM
With all of these Paul George rumors I find myself torn on whether the Lakers should trade for him, or if they should take the chance and wait for 2018. Obviously trading for him now you would have to give up some of the young assets and possibly the number 2 pick. On the other hand if Indy is smart they will trade him for something so he doesn't just walk. If he is traded to a team like the Celtics and they are competing for a championship it seems it would be hard for him to leave. I am curious of all your thoughts on this, not just Laker fans.

GREATNESS ONE
05-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Hell no trade multiple young players and HELL No to trading the #2 pick.

D'angelo Russell, Deng, Hou pick. Take it or leave it.

Saddletramp
05-18-2017, 11:40 PM
How ****ing funny would it be if Paul George was traded for the #2 pick and then Indiana picked Ball? Oh man, I'll give a few months of my life for that.

dhopisthename
05-18-2017, 11:57 PM
depends on the cost. you never know what can happen in a year.

WaDe03
05-19-2017, 12:12 AM
No don't trade, sign him in FA. Don't waste your assets on a guy whose probably coming regardless. Then you'll have George and if you want to put your assets together to build a super team you'll have these guys to deal if needed (Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, 2017 draft pick, 2018 draft pick, Randle, Zubac). The Lakers are about to have assets out the *** although I don't think it would be terrible to draft Josh Jackson and just build the young core either.

Russell/Clarkson
Jackson
Ingram
Randle/Nance
Zubac

Ingram and Jackson on the wings have crazy 2 way potential. Maybe we could see what could've been had Inidiana Kept Kawhi and had George and Kawhi together.

More-Than-Most
05-19-2017, 12:47 AM
i hope they wait as a sixer fan so they stay in the lottery... even with PG they have no shot for years... but waiting isnt as easy as expecting it to work out much like westy.. remember how much it was a sure thing westy was a laker? if PG13 gets traded to the celtics and they go to the finals or push bron to the limit next year do you really think he would leave and go to the lakers to be stuck in hell for years like with the pacers?

FlashBolt
05-19-2017, 01:25 AM
Wait till 2018. See how Lonzo plays. See if his dad becomes a total clown or not. See if Lonzo can co-exist with everyone else and if his daddy doesn't throw a tantrum when PG is the 1st option on the team. There's no point in trading very good pieces for a player who might dip after a season because you're flat-out terrible and the dad is basically calling all the shots. Find a way to get Mozgov and Deng off the team and free up cap space. Make a run for PG and Cousins. They got a nice future ahead of them but PG seems destined for the Lakers. No point in giving up something when it'll be yours anyways.

lakerfan85
05-19-2017, 07:22 AM
The thing is I don't think they'll have the cap room to sign him outright unless they can get rid of Deng or Mozgov.. They'll most likely have to trade some assists to get rid of those guys.. I think they should target Butler this summer in a trade and then go after PG next summer..

warfelg
05-19-2017, 07:37 AM
They are in a tough situation:

If they trade for him they are likely in a position where they give up a whole lot of their assets.

But if they wait to sign him that means they will have to create cap room, which means giving up assets to move high salary guys off the team.

So in both cases they are going to have to give up assets. They are a no win situation.

bloomis1307
05-19-2017, 07:37 AM
With the Bulls having interest in Deangelo Russel I would try to trade Russel + other assets not named #2 pick for Butler. Then try to Sign PG once he is a FA and build around a core of

Ball
Butler
PG
Ingram
Randle/Zubac

If you can keep Zubac/Randle or Clarkson that's an added bonus, but they'll need to dangle them out there to help unload the contracts of Mozgov and Deng

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-19-2017, 07:51 AM
Hell no trade multiple young players and HELL No to trading the #2 pick.

D'angelo Russell, Deng, Hou pick. Take it or leave it.

Deng is negative value like Mozgov. It would take a first round pick or young piece just to salary dump one of them. Yet ya want PG13 tossed in for free? Rockets pick is late so not much value. So if you want PG13 for free you will have to sign him season after next. So then you can nose dive one more year in the lottery with Ball.

mike_noodles
05-19-2017, 07:54 AM
They should learn from the Knicks mistake. Don't trade for him, wait for him to sign.

C-ross12
05-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Lakers should be more focused on packaging assets to try to unload Deng and Mozgov. Wait until PG is a free agent. Indiana should deal PG for the best package, period.

Burkey3472
05-19-2017, 08:01 AM
My guess is the Pacers will want two of Ingram/Russell/#2 (probably add in Moz or Deng to help with flexibly) to get the deal done and I doubt the Lakers will part with that much. They will probably wait it out and hope that he doesn't get traded to a contending team and likes it.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-19-2017, 08:06 AM
My guess is the Pacers will want two of Ingram/Russell/#2 (probably add in Moz or Deng to help with flexibly) to get the deal done and I doubt the Lakers will part with that much. They will probably wait it out and hope that he doesn't get traded to a contending team and likes it.
I bet Ingram,Russell,#2 would get the Pacers listening. That be a good offer. Cause early on it seemed like PG13 kinda regressed. But then picked up his game end of the season.

IndyRealist
05-19-2017, 09:09 AM
I bet Ingram,Russell,#2 would get the Pacers listening. That be a good offer. Cause early on it seemed like PG13 kinda regressed. But then picked up his game end of the season.

He does that every year, coasts through the regular season. No one seems to believe me though.

Ingram and #2 would probably get it done. The Pacers would likely pass on Ball, causing him to slip even further, since they have Teague. Likely Jackson or Tatum.

As I said elsewhere, if the Lakers don't trade for him, they'd better be prepared not to get him. If the Pacers don't trade him they WILL throw max money at him and his endrosement money is already pretty high for a basketball player not named Lebron. He's not likely to make up that money in additional endorsements. Waiting is the type of gamble people lose their jobs over. If you trade for him, at least you can say "yeah the pick would have been great, but we got the guy we wanted".

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Also draft picks aren't a given to be super stars. So there's always a chance of a bust or long development. At least trading for PG13 you know what you get right now.

Hawkeye15
05-19-2017, 09:43 AM

If they trade for him they are likely in a position where they give up a whole lot of their assets.

But if they wait to sign him that means they will have to create cap room, which means giving up assets to move high salary guys off the team.

So in both cases they are going to have to give up assets. They are a no win situation.

well, if they think (and I do) that some of their assets are not really good long term assets, sell now.

Example- I don't think Ingram is a star potential player at all. Randle either (but I think the league knows that now). Why not toss them Ingram, a future pick, and Nance. Throw salary relief in if needed.

Obviously with PG's impending FA, you don't over sell, but if you can get rid of a future problem without too much pain, do it. If they demand the house, you can then peel off assets for cheaper later.

Hawkeye15
05-19-2017, 09:45 AM
He does that every year, coasts through the regular season. No one seems to believe me though.

Ingram and #2 would probably get it done. The Pacers would likely pass on Ball, causing him to slip even further, since they have Teague. Likely Jackson or Tatum.

As I said elsewhere, if the Lakers don't trade for him, they'd better be prepared not to get him. If the Pacers don't trade him they WILL throw max money at him and his endrosement money is already pretty high for a basketball player not named Lebron. He's not likely to make up that money in additional endorsements. Waiting is the type of gamble people lose their jobs over. If you trade for him, at least you can say "yeah the pick would have been great, but we got the guy we wanted".

Ingram and #2 would have to get PG, wouldn't it?

I think PG is fantastic, but the Pacers basically have Kevin Love, a top 10 player surrounded by not enough to matter. Time to move him, or he ends up walking, or you end up paying him to be a star on a meh team.

GREATNESS ONE
05-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Lol no ****ing way are we giving up #2 and Ingram, that's just absurd.

Hawkeye15
05-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Lol no ****ing way are we giving up #2 and Ingram, that's just absurd.

I wouldn't do that either, I don't think. And I am very low on Ingram. I just can't imagine he doesn't hold a decent amount of value.

WaDe03
05-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Yea the Lakers definitely wouldn't give up Ingram and the 2nd. And Russell? Goodness.

Kyben36
05-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Personally i think he is gonna walk there anyway.

That said. Im not sure if i would draft a player or trade #2 for a stud player to entice him to come more.

warfelg
05-19-2017, 11:37 AM
well, if they think (and I do) that some of their assets are not really good long term assets, sell now.

Example- I don't think Ingram is a star potential player at all. Randle either (but I think the league knows that now). Why not toss them Ingram, a future pick, and Nance. Throw salary relief in if needed.

Obviously with PG's impending FA, you don't over sell, but if you can get rid of a future problem without too much pain, do it. If they demand the house, you can then peel off assets for cheaper later.

They got to use some of those guys to unload Mozgov and Deng.

Like a Deng+Randle or Mozgov+1st (not this years) or Clarkson+2nds.

I think personally a pick of Isaacs would be really really interesting for them. He would give them a guy that can play 3/4/5 and keep some of their better assets in house without having to shuffle around. Sign PG next next year.

DLo Russell
Ingram
PG
Isaacs
Zizic

mrblisterdundee
05-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Don't be like the Knicks.

GREATNESS ONE
05-19-2017, 12:46 PM
They got to use some of those guys to unload Mozgov and Deng.

Like a Deng+Randle or Mozgov+1st (not this years) or Clarkson+2nds.

I think personally a pick of Isaacs would be really really interesting for them. He would give them a guy that can play 3/4/5 and keep some of their better assets in house without having to shuffle around. Sign PG next next year.

DLo Russell
Ingram
PG
Isaacs
Zizic

You spelled Ivica Zubac wrong :) and we have to take Fultz or Ball. DLO is more a SG than PG.

warfelg
05-19-2017, 12:52 PM
You spelled Ivica Zubac wrong :) and we have to take Fultz or Ball. DLO is more a SG than PG.

Couldn't remember quite what his name was lol.

As for DLo more of a SG than PG: he could bring the ball down but then you put it into PG's hands to initiate the offense. Pacers with Hill (a more shooting style pg) played better than with Teague (more of a passing pg).

LA4life24/8
05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Depends on the trade package but theres much more advantage to trading for him vs fa

Dlo+deng+28 is what i offer

The pluses when it comes to this are

1.) We get pg13
2.) We rid ourselves of dengs horrendous contract
3.) When it comes to resgining him in 2018, we can sign another star and then sign george over the cap w bird rights
4.) We can offer pg more money this way to incentivise him to stay
5.) George significantly improves our team next year, thus the 2018 1st we send to 6ers is in the teens somewhere vs being a top 10
3+.) Having a star in george already here vs thinking of coming here gives us a better chance (not saying they will) of drawing another 2018 free agent ie Westbrook, cousins (2 biggest i believe)

LOb0
05-19-2017, 06:22 PM
I just facepalm at the idea of trading for a guy that you'll still be a lottery team with. Keep the young guy you're playing 4 million dollars to as you build. Don't throw it away to be a 30 win team.

Teeboy1487
05-19-2017, 06:31 PM
I just facepalm at the idea of trading for a guy that you'll still be a lottery team with. Keep the young guy you're playing 4 million dollars to as you build. Don't throw it away to be a 30 win team.
Exactly my point. I want to Lakers to stand pat. I believe in the young guys for the lakers. They need time and experience. I want them to draft either Ball or Jackson and roll with that.

Gibby23
05-20-2017, 12:41 AM

Lol. You won't get b Ingram or 2. He walks for nothing or the pacers get b a bad deal. Lol. Ingram and 2, LMAO

Gibby23
05-20-2017, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't do that either, I don't think. And I am very low on Ingram. I just can't imagine he doesn't hold a decent amount of value.

But based on your posts over the years, you never b were a good talent evaluator. Tell me you thought PG 13 and Lenard were going to be great. Lol, you were probably low on them unless you lie now. I remember you being high on Rubio and Dunn, who was worse than Ingram.

IndyRealist
05-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Lol. You won't get b Ingram or 2. He walks for nothing or the pacers get b a bad deal. Lol. Ingram and 2, LMAO

If they don't get a good deal, they don't trade him and give him a max deal. Lakers fans assume he's coming just because it's LA. How many times has that worked when they were a lottery team?

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2017, 12:28 PM
It's going to take 3 teams to tango but I feel the deal will get done.

Aust
05-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Lakers were told not to trade for Paul George, I agree. LA is confident they can sign him, we don't need another Melo situation where the Knicks gutted their team/assets for him.

JJ_JKidd
05-22-2017, 05:52 AM
I really dont know why people are so high on PG as a probable savior when the Lakers havent even assembled a legitimate playoff-worthy supporting cast.

eDush
05-22-2017, 10:20 AM
With all of these Paul George rumors I find myself torn on whether the Lakers should trade for him, or if they should take the chance and wait for 2018. Obviously trading for him now you would have to give up some of the young assets and possibly the number 2 pick. On the other hand if Indy is smart they will trade him for something so he doesn't just walk. If he is traded to a team like the Celtics and they are competing for a championship it seems it would be hard for him to leave. I am curious of all your thoughts on this, not just Laker fans.

Why are you torn? It's easy for me if I was their GM which is :no:

The Knicks gave up a farm 'built to make the playoff just to bring Melo home early. Knicks gave the Bulls a stud in Lopez so they can get Rose one year early which I was against. I guess Phil is not as good as a GM as he is a zen master of a HC :nod:

eDush
05-22-2017, 10:23 AM
The thing is I don't think they'll have the cap room to sign him outright unless they can get rid of Deng or Mozgov.. They'll most likely have to trade some assists to get rid of those guys.. I think they should target Butler this summer in a trade and then go after PG next summer..

I think any team would love to get a 20+ rebound guy against the Dubs, which I witness in awe :nod:

Isn't that's why the Lakers sign him in the first place?!?

warfelg
05-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Paul George will be almost 29 by the time he signs with the Lakers if he wants to do that. Meaning they would sign him for his 29-33 age seasons.

On a side note I did not realize Paul George is 27.

kobe4thewinbang
05-22-2017, 05:04 PM
I've been against the idea since the rumors began, but now I'm starting to feel torn about it. I see the value in having Paul George sooner rather than later. This video really explained the danger of waiting, which before now I did not see, and it would make things 'better' for the Lakers next season. The youth movement might develop better with a veteran leader on the floor, since the front office is reportedly displeased with D'Angelo as a moral and vocal leader despite his scoring ability and court vision.

To clarify, I am now *for* the idea but only if the Lakers do not have to lose much to obtain George. The Pacers may just want to move on.

Trouble is, the Lakers would probably have to lose the #2 pick to even start trade talks. The leverage for the other team is that the Pacers can't afford to wait until the 2018 trade deadline as that will clearly hurt PG's trade value.

I would trade Clarkson and Nance and the pick for Paul George.

That means losing out on Lonzo Ball, but hey, the Pacers need a point guard. Teague might be gone. I don't think Lonzo would want to join the Pacers, and I know his father would hate that idea, but the Lakers do not speak for Lonzo Ball's interests. I think the Pacers would rather have Ball instead of D'Angelo, but *maybe* they just want D'Angelo. I like him, so that would be lame to me, but that way they keep Ball. However, I think the pick has to be traded to even make this possible.

Maybe the Celtics trade picks with the Lakers, and then Indiana can have their pick. But Celtics would want something in return for being helpful. In that scenario, Pacers could choose the prospect (Fultz, Fox, etc) and somehow the Lakers retain Lonzo.

Or they could just wait, but Paul George might change his mind. He might qualify next year for the All-NBA teams and then staying in Indiana and a big financial advantage does not seem so unappealing. This year is the best moment to strike, if you ask me, but there are a lot of factors. The Lakers, Pacers, Celtics and whoever else might want PG would need to have clarity in their goals this summer. If nobody is sure, then he probably stays.

kobe4thewinbang
05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Either:

A) Clarkson, Randle & Nance

B) Russell, Clarkson, Nance

C) Clarkson, Young & Nance + #2 Pick

In scenario A, the Lakers move Luol Deng to PF which he openly desires for next season, and the Lakers might see him play more closely to that big contract by doing so. Who knows...and there is no guarantee that Randle's motor will ever be consistent despite his words of "wanting to become a monster" for them next season.

B is if the Lakers adamantly are against losing the #2 pick. This offer is probably still better than what Indiana would receive if they wait. We saw how little the Kings got for Cousins, a premier center because they kept waiting.

C is if Swaggy P takes his player option, when the Lakers clearly don't want him back and would be stuck with him. He did have a resurgent season, so Pacers might be interested in that if he would even be open to playing in Indiana which is clearly not LA. In this scenario, the pick has to go to even make this a fair trade.

The Clippers could also try to nab George, as well.

FOXHOUND
05-22-2017, 05:16 PM

Correct, which is why I voted trade. It may cost more assets than dumping contracts, but in the end you have him for sure. Nothing would be worse than trading assets to clear salary only for him to look at how weak the team was and choose a different destination or to stay in Indiana if they have a strong season/Turner breaks out big. You also require him to take a pay cut no matter what to even sign on the line.

The Knicks traded an unprotected 1st to move to the salary of Jared Jeffries which gave them the cap space to sign two max deals in 2010. They couldn't attract anyone but Amare, who only left Phoenix because they wouldn't give him a fully guaranteed deal like the Knicks did. That 2nd max FA spot ended up being meaningless.

If you can get the player sooner, you always get the player.

Bruno
05-22-2017, 06:56 PM
I'd lean wait. josh smith had two years/27M left on his Detroit deal when he was stretched. instead of paying 27M over two they paid the balance out over 5 years.

After next season the Lakers will only owe Mozgov 32.7M. They could stretch that over five seasons starting in 2018-2019 and open an additional $10M of cap for the 2018 FA. i could be off on some of the details but if thats legal by CBA standards it probably makes more sense to get max space through stretch instead of trade.

FlashBolt
05-23-2017, 12:51 AM
Paul George will be almost 29 by the time he signs with the Lakers if he wants to do that. Meaning they would sign him for his 29-33 age seasons.

On a side note I did not realize Paul George is 27.

Yeah, that was a shock to me. Thought he was in the 25 range. Dude wasted two seasons doing nothing pretty much.

Mave1002
05-23-2017, 03:16 AM

Lakers FO wanted them to listen but the call was intercepted by the PG13 camp.

"Shh", they said. "You'll get him next year. Put Chicago on the line instead, we're pretty sure they'll ask for DLO and Deng. Maybe the HOU pick, too."

"Go ahead came from Silver", they added. ;)

Mave1002
05-23-2017, 03:18 AM
Zubac/Black/TRob
Randle/Nance Jr.
PG13/Ingram
Butler/Clarkson
Ball/Ennis

hugepatsfan
05-24-2017, 11:22 AM
It'll be real interesting to see how the George saga unfolds this offseason. I imagine IND will have to look into moving him if he won't commit. That could mean that to start IND is EXTREMELY active in trying to add talent. They have about $12M in cap space including Teague's cap hold. I would suspect CJ Miles might opt out of $4.8M to improve that a bit. Jefferson's $9.8M I think is very movable. That gets them up to about $26M. Could that be enough for Millsap?

If they somehow found a way to dump Ellis and Thaddeus Young after (imagine they attach a whole lot of 1st rounders) then that will be another $25M to spend. Heck, at that point, let Teague walk. That frees up an additional $12M. Split that $12M and then you should be able to offer both Lowry & Millsap $30M.

Lowry
Stephenson
George
Millsap
Turner

Maybe you can get BRK to take Ellis if you give them Glen Robinson III? I think a 1st round pick would clear Young who's still solid. Jefferson could be a target for a team trying to get to the floor without a ton attached.

Now, is that even good enough for George to want to stay? I don't see championship upside there but it's a pretty nice starting 5.

If they can't put together a combination of talent that would make him stay then I'm sure they look to trade him and then it becomes a test of is he really LA or bust. If he's not and willing to consider an extension with a tea he thinks he could win a title with (BOS, maybe MIL, some other darkhorse team) then now LA is probably forced to offer something for him.