PDA

View Full Version : Who is the worst player to be drafted just before a hall of famer?

Scoots
05-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Let's limit it to the last 40 years.

Vitaly Potapenko was drafted the pick before Kobe Bryant, but he managed to stay in the NBA for 11 years

Reggie Williams went 1 before Pippen, but again 10 years for Williams in the NBA.

I think I'll go with Terrence Stansbury, he made it 3 truly unremarkable years in the NBA and was picked just before John Stockton.

valade16
05-19-2017, 12:18 AM
Terrence Stansbury sounds like a fake name :laugh2: Like one of the bad names you see on 2K for future draft picks on dynasty mode lol

jaydubb
05-19-2017, 03:39 AM
Kenny Green drafted right before Karl malone in 1985. He played only 60 total games in the NBA, never starting once before he fell out of the league. "KG" had 250 points total compared to almost 37,000 for Karl malone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SiteWolf
05-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Your question should include the caveat of 'not including the Trailblazers'

....given they have the distinction of Sam Bowie (Michael Jordan) AND Greg Oden (future HOFer Kevin Durant)

Hawkeye15
05-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Let's limit it to the last 40 years.

Vitaly Potapenko was drafted the pick before Kobe Bryant, but he managed to stay in the NBA for 11 years

Reggie Williams went 1 before Pippen, but again 10 years for Williams in the NBA.

I think I'll go with Terrence Stansbury, he made it 3 truly unremarkable years in the NBA and was picked just before John Stockton.

who the **** is Terrence Stansbury? Sounds made up

I am going with Johnny McBuckets just prior to Reggie Miller

Scoots
05-19-2017, 10:36 AM

....given they have the distinction of Sam Bowie (Michael Jordan) AND Greg Oden (future HOFer Kevin Durant)

Bowie had a reasonably long career though. Kenny Green may be the leader at the moment.

AntiG
05-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Imagine the trail of destruction that Portland would have blazed through the league with a duo of Drexler and Jordan.

Mr.B
05-19-2017, 01:15 PM
This guy wasn't chosen right before a HOF player but was picked a couple picks ahead of one and then was traded for the future HOF player.

Robert "Tractor" Traylor. Was drafted 6th overall and traded for Dirk Nowitzki. Died at age 34 while Dirk is still playing.

Dré
05-22-2017, 02:46 AM

Not truly fair given context. Sam Bowie was actually pretty productive when he was out on the floor, his career was just derailed by injuries. In Oden's case, in the 82 games he played following his first microfracture surgery, he was absolutely DOMINANT on a per-minute basis (you can go check his per-36 minute and per-48 minute averages as a Trailblazer on basketball-reference). Oden was obviously a shell of himself by the time he attempted to revive his career in Miami. Had neither Bowie or Oden struggled with injuries, they likely would have carved out great careers for themselves.

To me a bust is a player that was given a legitimate chance to succeed (which includes not being hampered by debilitating injuries). But doesn't, despite all attempts to the contrary. Andrea Bargnani comes to mind. The guy was putridly awful. No wonder Toronto languished for years near the bottom of the standings with him as the franchise's cornerstone.

CityofTreez
05-22-2017, 03:00 AM
09 draft' we selected Tyreke over Curry.
Not the worst pick, but Curry is headed for HOF.

2011' we selected Jimmer. Next pick was Klay and Kawhi a few picks after that.
The worst.

2012: we selected Thomas Robinson and the next pick was Lillard.
Now Lillard may reach HOF, but still putrid.

Off the top of my head for Sac Kings.

CityofTreez
05-22-2017, 03:07 AM
who the **** is Terrence Stansbury? Sounds made up

I am going with Johnny McBuckets just prior to Reggie Miller

Pretty sure Olden Polynice was drafted by Bulls and traded to Blazers/Sonics before Miller was off the board.

maltmonger
05-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Darko Milicic taken #2 over all.

2 of the next 3 players drafted are likely HOF'ers, and some would argue all 3 will be:

3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Chris Bosh
5. Dwayne Wade

Quinnsanity
05-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Imagine the trail of destruction that Portland would have blazed through the league with a duo of Drexler and Jordan.

It gets worse. Houston could have traded Ralph Sampson for Drexler and the No. 2 pick. They said no. They could have had Jordan, Drexler and Hakeem. This came directly from Hakeem in his biography.

Quinnsanity
05-23-2017, 02:19 PM
09 draft' we selected Tyreke over Curry.
Not the worst pick, but Curry is headed for HOF.

2011' we selected Jimmer. Next pick was Klay and Kawhi a few picks after that.
The worst.

2012: we selected Thomas Robinson and the next pick was Lillard.
Now Lillard may reach HOF, but still putrid.

Off the top of my head for Sac Kings.

Tyreke was a few picks earlier, but Jonny Flynn one pick ahead of Stephen Curry has to be pretty high on this list. He was drafted in 2009 and out of the league by 2012-13.

JWO35
05-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Hasheem Thabeet yet...dude was the #2 overall pick, selected before James Harden (3rd) and Steph Curry (7th), both on the path to HOF careers. In his 7yr career he only appeared in 224 games (less than 3 NBA seasons worth of games)

MygirlhatesCod
05-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Todd FCKing Fuller!!!!

JAZZNC
05-23-2017, 08:28 PM
I know it's not a future HOF guy but to trade up and draft Trey Burke one spot ahead of CJ McCollum is just a disaster for the Jazz. We would have a great second/first option on offense and not have to worry about the PG spot for years. Instead we might have to sign George "My Vagina Hurts" Hill to a 20mil/yr contract or hope Exum pans out.

Scoots
05-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Todd FCKing Fuller!!!!

Vitaly Potapenko is a Hall of Famer?

JordansBulls
05-24-2017, 09:04 PM
Sam Bowie would have to take the honors.

LA4life24/8
05-26-2017, 12:16 PM

Darko Milicic taken #2 over all.

2 of the next 3 players drafted are likely HOF'ers, and some would argue all 3 will be:

3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Chris Bosh
5. Dwayne Wade

For me this was definitely the obvious one lol

Greg oden in front of durant, bowie in front of jordan

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 12:47 PM
For me this was definitely the obvious one lol

Greg oden in front of durant, bowie in front of jordan

I still feel bad for Oden. Dude would have been really good if not for his lower body

LA4life24/8
05-26-2017, 01:59 PM
I still feel bad for Oden. Dude would have been really good if not for his lower body

Yeaah true. It doesn't necessarily fit the criteria cuz he wasnt a bad player, i just think it was silly to pick him over durant. Buuut thats my opinion and im prolly in the minority w that.

And its not just hindsight i just thought KD was too much to pass up. His potential was insane and so was odens but he was more of a rebounding/defensive threat..his offense wasnt outstanding. Which can obviously be worked on but i had more faith in KD panning out than oden.. tough break for him tho you're right

Hawkeye15
05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Yeaah true. It doesn't necessarily fit the criteria cuz he wasnt a bad player, i just think it was silly to pick him over durant. Buuut thats my opinion and im prolly in the minority w that.

And its not just hindsight i just thought KD was too much to pass up. His potential was insane and so was odens but he was more of a rebounding/defensive threat..his offense wasnt outstanding. Which can obviously be worked on but i had more faith in KD panning out than oden.. tough break for him tho you're right

If I remember right, the GM's were split 50/50 or so when polled on who they would take first between Oden/Durant. If Oden had a clean bill of health, and no concerns, I think it would have been 90% him. A dominant defensive big man who can rebound and give you 14-18 a night is huge. That, and I don't think people knew Durant would turn into quite what he did.