PDA

View Full Version : Lavar Ball now wants 3 billion dollar shoe deal with his son going to LA

LOb0
05-17-2017, 04:06 PM
LaVar Ball said Wednesday that if Nike, Under Armour or Adidas want to make a deal with his Big Baller Brand now, the asking price is $3 billion and that he sees no need to market his products to women.

LaVar Ball reiterated that he only wants his son, Lonzo Ball, to play for the Los Angeles Lakers and revealed he's sold 400 to 500 pairs of $495 ZO2 shoes since its launch two weeks ago.

Ball was asked about dealing with the big shoe companies and said they will regret not making a deal with him after his son is picked by the Lakers.

lol enjoy Lakers fans.

GREATNESS ONE
05-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Love this guy! Lavar is the man, he is just saying what's going to happen and he's been the entire time! Love it.

Scoots
05-17-2017, 04:13 PM
There is no reason to think it's a fact that Ball is going to LA.

Heediot
05-17-2017, 04:15 PM
The best way for a guy like him with to get exposure is to be controversial and obnoxious. It's cheaper for him vs. shelling out 6 digits for advertisement. The more people talk about him and his son, the better for him at this point in his investment strategy. Two things that sell are controversy and vulnerability. He is capitalizing on the former, with all the talk on this form and some long *** threads many are just playing into his hand. He's betting on his son's on court game, and he's generating exposure with his drama. I commend him for taking a risk and doing what he's doing but that's just me.

aman_13
05-17-2017, 04:17 PM
I like his gumption.

TheDish87
05-17-2017, 04:22 PM
this guy is a loser. poor lonzo

valade16
05-17-2017, 04:25 PM
That would be so funny if the Lakers passed on Ball. How amazing would that be.

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 04:27 PM
His obnoxious behavior is getting him tons of free national exposure.
So does streaking at the Super Bowl.
Neither is necessarily a money maker.

"now that he's a Laker" he says....which may not even happen nor do I believe Lonzo WORTHY of the #2 overall pick

LOb0
05-17-2017, 04:41 PM

"now that he's a Laker" he says....which may not even happen nor do I believe Lonzo WORTHY of the #2 overall pick

Thank you. It appears everyone has this confused.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Teams gotta make the decision. He's not worth that baggage with his dad popping out like a damn idiot every time. Sold 400-500 pairs.. where are the people defending this guy's amazing marketing strategy? Lmao, this is why you have professionals do this.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Teams gotta make the decision. He's not worth that baggage with his dad popping out like a damn idiot every time. Sold 400-500 pairs.. where are the people defending this guy's amazing marketing strategy? Lmao, this is why you have professionals do this.

$250,000 in 2 weeks though. That's if they're all only the $500 pair. The dudes a clown and I can't stand him or his sons but he's making his money.

LA4life24/8
05-17-2017, 04:59 PM
I do hate his dad. But really once (if, im not sold that the lakers are sold on him) he gets there who is really gonna listen to, magic fhuckin johnson or his idiotic dad? Who would you listen to? Exactly.

Apparently lakers tryna bring in fox and ball for the same workout. 2 for 1 special.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 05:04 PM
$250,000 in 2 weeks though. That's if they're all only the $500 pair. The dudes a clown and I can't stand him or his sons but he's making his money.

$250,000 is what the sales are. After expenses and all that time wasted, how much is he really pulling in? $150,000? And his son is supposed to be a top two pick in the draft? That's nothing, dude. He could have easily gotten himself a nice shoe deal for millions and all he'd had to do was tell his dad to fck off. Not even that, no company wants to work with someone who is constantly embarrassing himself on-air. Lonzo can make Nike/Adidas money. Sadly, his dad's mouth will probably cost them more in the long run.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-17-2017, 05:05 PM
That would be so funny if the Lakers passed on Ball. How amazing would that be.

On top of that if he were to slip to a small market team like the Suns. Would be too epic.

Heediot
05-17-2017, 05:07 PM

that's pretty good, considering he hasn't played a game and the shoes don't come out until the nba season starts. Just tearing up the summer league may get him at least 1k more buyers (500K) lmao. to put things into perspective Wiggins make 2 million off his shoe deal, so we'll see if what he is doing is working.But he is saving a tonne of money just off of advertising expenses IMO.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 05:09 PM
that's pretty good, considering he hasn't played a game and the shoes don't come out until the nba season starts. Just tearing up the summer league may get him at least 1k more buyers (500K) lmao.

Initial releases (the first stage of orders) are by far your biggest orders. Not to mention the inverse of what you stated could also happen. If he sucks, he's done. No contract, no one buying his shoes. It's really not good considering he's ruined any business relationships. Nike and Adidas are actually quite smart. Wait till BBB fails and then offer them a contract when his daddy gets desperate.

europagnpilgrim
05-17-2017, 05:10 PM
There is no reason to think it's a fact that Ball is going to LA.

while what you are saying is on point

I tend to see how the media has leaked that Magic wont have a problem drafting him because of his dad, its a Cali connection, and how they(Ball fam) are openly campaigning for it seems like its pretty much going to happen unless a team below LA values him more and trades up to number 1 to get him

when these type of stories leak its for a reason, rather it happens or not is another animal

Heediot
05-17-2017, 05:11 PM

Exposure for marketing is a hell of a lot better vs. paying a hefty fine and spending the night in jail plus community service and a lifetime ban from all sporting arenas in the country.

Heediot
05-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Initial releases (the first stage of orders) are by far your biggest orders. Not to mention the inverse of what you stated could also happen. If he sucks, he's done. No contract, no one buying his shoes. It's really not good considering he's ruined any business relationships. Nike and Adidas are actually quite smart. Wait till BBB fails and then offer them a contract when his daddy gets desperate.

The thing they are betting on is Lonzo's game more then anything. Maybe it's a double edge sword what his dad is doing, but it's the best way to save money on the biggest expense in the shoe game which is advertising. If he sucks either way he won't get endorsement money and his shoes will flop. If he performs at an all-star level, his family business will be fine and or companies will come calling (with options to restrict/limit his pa if they want. They are taking the risky route, and I respect that part of it.

europagnpilgrim
05-17-2017, 05:21 PM

Flip side to this is if he is actually drafted by LA then automatically will get a boost in sales from the so called ballers in Hollywood and the Lakers market/fanbase who are true die hard supporters, can you imagine if Lebron and Jordan Fathers were involved like this when they first entered the NBA and had their own brand of shoe? It would have been unreal the money they would be actually worth instead of what it is now

its a reason why Nike gave Lebron a so called 1 billion dollar life deal, just imagine how much they have racked it and will In the future, easily over that

had Lebron had his own shoe line like he does his agency then he would a mulit billionaire by now easily, Jordan cracked it but his shoe has been out for 20yrs, and Nike has made probably 10-15 Billion off those shoes and still selling like hotcakes

Ball is trying to do in the NBA what Master P/J Prince did in the music/ hip hop biz, and that is to keep majority of the profit independently owned, which is why they made more money than those others like Jay Z on music alone because they were keeping 85-90pct of the income

all those shoe companies are worth multi Billions and Billions over so for him to go high on what he is asking for in a deal is fair game since these shoe companies have exploited athletes for decades and profited way too much to count, good for the Ball fam

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 05:33 PM
The thing they are betting on is Lonzo's game more then anything. Maybe it's a double edge sword what his dad is doing, but it's the best way to save money on the biggest expense in the shoe game which is advertising. If he sucks either way he won't get endorsement money and his shoes will flop. If he performs at an all-star level, his family business will be fine and or companies will come calling (with options to restrict/limit his pa if they want. They are taking the risky route, and I respect that part of it.

I love LeBron for his game. Huge fan. I'm also a fan of Kanye. I'm not paying $500 for their shoes. Ask yourself, who will? You gotta have poor management of money or you're just rich as hell if you are willing to fork over that money. I wouldn't pay $200 for a pair of LeBron's. I am not paying $500 for a pair of Lonzo's. How good he is doesn't change the fact that the price is absurd.

Heediot
05-17-2017, 05:39 PM
I love LeBron for his game. Huge fan. I'm also a fan of Kanye. I'm not paying $500 for their shoes. Ask yourself, who will? You gotta have poor management of money or you're just rich as hell if you are willing to fork over that money. I wouldn't pay $200 for a pair of LeBron's. I am not paying $500 for a pair of Lonzo's. How good he is doesn't change the fact that the price is absurd.

I grew up in the hood/urban areas. You'd be surprise at what people burn money on. Gucci and Louis pouches/purses/belts, other 1000$ plus clothing items easily. Just the 500$ will have some people buying just for the status. Kanye is a a$$hole but he keeps selling records, being controversial and vulnerable sells for whatever reason. Even people in the poor areas like to floss for whatever reason, and rich people floss too, so there is probably a market just for flossing lol.

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 05:41 PM

if he's saying 4-500 pair sold you can believe actual sales are half that at best.....and half of them possibly not sales at all, but family/friends giveaways

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Flip side to this is if he is actually drafted by LA then automatically will get a boost in sales from the so called ballers in Hollywood and the Lakers market/fanbase who are true die hard supporters, can you imagine if Lebron and Jordan Fathers were involved like this when they first entered the NBA and had their own brand of shoe? It would have been unreal the money they would be actually worth instead of what it is now

its a reason why Nike gave Lebron a so called 1 billion dollar life deal, just imagine how much they have racked it and will In the future, easily over that

had Lebron had his own shoe line like he does his agency then he would a mulit billionaire by now easily, Jordan cracked it but his shoe has been out for 20yrs, and Nike has made probably 10-15 Billion off those shoes and still selling like hotcakes

Ball is trying to do in the NBA what Master P/J Prince did in the music/ hip hop biz, and that is to keep majority of the profit independently owned, which is why they made more money than those others like Jay Z on music alone because they were keeping 85-90pct of the income

all those shoe companies are worth multi Billions and Billions over so for him to go high on what he is asking for in a deal is fair game since these shoe companies have exploited athletes for decades and profited way too much to count, good for the Ball fam

1) I'm pretty sure there are Lakers fans everywhere. Why only 400-500 pairs. 400-500, how many of those aren't from people who actually HAVE money such as celebrities? This true diehard thing is stupid.
2) Nike gave LeBron a billion dollar deal because they know LeBron can demand that. Adidas would be willing to offer LeBron that much just because he's proven and his sneakers are the best selling (outside Jordan). There's marketing and logistics to deal with when you're trying to create your own sneaker. Things that Nike handle for you and all you get is the royalty, show up, make ads, and pretend you designed the sneaker.
3) Ball is trying to cut out the middleman but there's a reason middleman exists - they do the work FOR you. You're right, you can successfully cut out the middleman but his dad has no business acumen whatsoever. His dad has no idea how to market the product. Look at how he's doing it: He's going to damn ESPN First Take acting like a clown. The pricing also makes zero sense for what he's trying to do. He's been on-record stating that these shoes are "memorabilia" because his son will be so great. This is idiotic. His son's ceiling isn't THAT high. Btw, Jay Z is wealthier than Master P.
4) It's not even about exploiting athletes because they're doing the work. The only thing LeBron does is license his name to them. It's why LeBron was upset that the beer company tried to use LeBron to market their beer. His name is the intangible part of why he's getting paid millions.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-17-2017, 05:42 PM
It'd only be fitting he goes to LAL.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 05:43 PM
I grew up in the hood/urban areas. You'd be surprise at what people burn money on. Gucci and Louis pouches/purses/belts, other 1000$ plus clothing items easily. Just the 500$ will have some people buying just for the status. Kanye is a a$$hole but he keeps selling records, being controversial and vulnerable sells for whatever reason. Even people in the poor areas like to floss for whatever reason, and rich people floss too, so there is probably a market just for flossing lol.

You're making numbers up. Give me evidence. A few people buying it doesn't mean everyone will. And I don't know what hood you live in but Jordan's>Balls any day. And they're half the cost.

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Exposure for marketing is a hell of a lot better vs. paying a hefty fine and spending the night in jail plus community service and a lifetime ban from all sporting arenas in the country.

I didn't equate the benefit of the two. I simply stated neither would automatically make someone money.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 05:47 PM
$250,000 is what the sales are. After expenses and all that time wasted, how much is he really pulling in? $150,000? And his son is supposed to be a top two pick in the draft? That's nothing, dude. He could have easily gotten himself a nice shoe deal for millions and all he'd had to do was tell his dad to fck off. Not even that, no company wants to work with someone who is constantly embarrassing himself on-air. Lonzo can make Nike/Adidas money. Sadly, his dad's mouth will probably cost them more in the long run.

What expenses are we talking here? Manufacturing? I'd say he's pulling in $230,000 that's pretty good for 2 weeks for a player who hasn't played a second in the NBA.

I agree, he definitely should've taken the deal but how much were they offering? Surely it wasn't a huge 100M deal for a kid that young, are there any reports of the money the wanted to give? At this rate they're looking at pulling in $5.98M in their first year and that's for those shoes only. They have the sandals and all the clothes they're selling too so let's say at the least they're ok average to make 10M this year and he's not even in the NBA yet, sales will jump when he gets to the NBA. I don't think they were being offered more than 10M a year but I could be wrong.

**** Lavar ball, already can't stand the dude but can't fault him for doing his own thing with his own brand if it's working out for them.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 05:48 PM
if he's saying 4-500 pair sold you can believe actual sales are half that at best.....and half of them possibly not sales at all, but family/friends giveaways

Ehhhhhhh there's no proof to him lying about his numbers. We just don't like the guy lol.

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Ehhhhhhh there's no proof to him lying about his numbers. We just don't like the guy lol.

Ever met a fisherman who didn't stretch the size of his catch?
This guy has vastly exaggerated numbers since he started opening his mouth, why would you assume otherwise here?

Raps18-19 Champ
05-17-2017, 05:54 PM

It has nothing to do with whether you like him or not. He has a history of exaggeration. So there isn't proof he's lying but he's definitely not someone you just take for face value.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Ever met a fisherman who didn't stretch the size of his catch?
This guy has vastly exaggerated numbers since he started opening his mouth, why would you assume otherwise here?

Cut the numbers in half, still on pace for 3.25M in a year off just the shoes. Not the collectors shoes, sandals, or clothes. Still pretty good

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Cut the numbers in half, still on pace for 3.25M in a year off just the shoes. Not the collectors shoes, sandals, or clothes. Still pretty good

So we're giving him the benefit of believing he took in $125,000 in 2 weeks and extrapolating that out over a full year. But we know nothing about manufacturing costs or who else owns a share nor has Lonzo even been drafted yet.

Here's another thing. If he insists on stupid numbers like $3bil from shoe manufacturers (which he wouldn't have even talked to if he was so sure his brand could stand on its own), what is he doing to his kids' future sponsorship earnings? He's all but eliminating any shoe money they'd get there, yes?

Heediot
05-17-2017, 06:04 PM
You're making numbers up. Give me evidence. A few people buying it doesn't mean everyone will. And I don't know what hood you live in but Jordan's>Balls any day. And they're half the cost.

Everyone doesn't have to. Let's say 10 people in one city (8-9 drug dealers, and a select few who will burn their paycheck) want to floss might buy an item just because it's in and it has prestige. that's 500 kicks just off of those people in 50 decent sized cities. Jordan's are good examples, some people buy them when can't afford them. People do irrational things. There is a market for irrational purchases. People might not buy his shoes per se, but the market for unaffordable purchases or purchases for prestige from the wealthy is big. I get what your saying Jordan, Gucci, LV spent years building up their brand and popularity, so I shouldn't expect that from Ball's shoes. If he goes to LA, and is 1st or 2nd in roy votes, I think he'll hit 100k shoes just off of those type of individuals.

Gibby23
05-17-2017, 06:12 PM
So we're giving him the benefit of believing he took in $125,000 in 2 weeks and extrapolating that out over a full year. But we know nothing about manufacturing costs or who else owns a share nor has Lonzo even been drafted yet.

Here's another thing. If he insists on stupid numbers like $3bil from shoe manufacturers (which he wouldn't have even talked to if he was so sure his brand could stand on its own), what is he doing to his kids' future sponsorship earnings? He's all but eliminating any shoe money they'd get there, yes?

Some dude on espn broke it down when they news of $500 came down, said 50% or a little more from every shoe is profit. More if he sells more, but the $250 off the top for production for selling a minimal amount and it would be less than $250 off the top if he starts selling more. They don't make them until you order, so there is no extra production cost right now or extra inventory sitting around.

Heediot
05-17-2017, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he lied about his shoes, but I don't know the truth either. But do you really think the guy believes his own bullcrap? I don't think he really believes he can take on Jordan in his prime.

But with negotiations you have to start at a stupid number just like Connor McG and Manny do vs. Floyd, that's one element of negotiations.

Lonzo can still get a shoe deal regardless of his dad, the companies can just put in clauses to restrict his dad. As long as he performs on the court at a high level and isn't causing his own drama off the court, he can be hos own man in that scenario.

eDush
05-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Some dude on espn broke it down when they news of $500 came down, said 50% or a little more from every shoe is profit. More if he sells more, but the $250 off the top for production for selling a minimal amount and it would be less than $250 off the top if he starts selling more. They don't make them until you order, so there is no extra production cost right now or extra inventory sitting around.It better be made here in the good o' US of A or I won't buy it :no:

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Some dude on espn broke it down when they news of $500 came down, said 50% or a little more from every shoe is profit. More if he sells more, but the $250 off the top for production for selling a minimal amount and it would be less than $250 off the top if he starts selling more. They don't make them until you order, so there is no extra production cost right now or extra inventory sitting around.

the more custom the production, the higher the production costs.....there's a reason companies go into mass production setups

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 06:40 PM
All I'm saying is so far the dude is making money off his brand and none of his sons are even in the NBA yet and 2 of them will get there. LeBron turned down something like a 10M deal from Reebok when he was in high school. LeBron took a gamble on himself there. Will Any of the Balls be LeBron, **** no but Lonzo has potential to be a perennial all star and somehow these clowns already have tons of fans. Go check Jason Whitlocks tweets about them today bashing Lavar, people are going in on Whitlock for talking about Lavar lol. We live in a time and society where being ignorant as **** like Lavar and Trump get you success.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 06:42 PM
the more custom the production, the higher the production costs.....there's a reason companies go into mass production setups

This is definitely true, I would be surprised if profit wasn't 60% at worst on each shoe though.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 06:42 PM
What expenses are we talking here? Manufacturing? I'd say he's pulling in $230,000 that's pretty good for 2 weeks for a player who hasn't played a second in the NBA.

I agree, he definitely should've taken the deal but how much were they offering? Surely it wasn't a huge 100M deal for a kid that young, are there any reports of the money the wanted to give? At this rate they're looking at pulling in $5.98M in their first year and that's for those shoes only. They have the sandals and all the clothes they're selling too so let's say at the least they're ok average to make 10M this year and he's not even in the NBA yet, sales will jump when he gets to the NBA. I don't think they were being offered more than 10M a year but I could be wrong.

**** Lavar ball, already can't stand the dude but can't fault him for doing his own thing with his own brand if it's working out for them.

If you don't know the expenses, I'm not gonna go over all of them. Production costs, selling costs, lawyer costs, shipping costs. These things add up. There is no way he pockets $460 after all of these are paid. The thing is, Nike handles all of this. Lawyer costs needed because they have to protect their intangible rights to the shoe. These things are HEAVY. Trust me, some Asian company will have these shoes counterfeited before the official Ball shoes even release. Then you have to make sure that the manufacturer you are working with don't steal any designs you may have. Again, it's fundamental business 101 strategy that in the athletic shoes department, you wanna generate profit through SALES. These shoes aren't going to generate enough sales to be truly profitable. 400-500 sold in a month - not 2 weeks. 400-500, how many of them WEREN'T purchased by a celebrity/really big Lonzo fan that probably won't buy them again? LeBron's sneakers sell millions and he doesn't do anything for it.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 06:43 PM
The 400-500 numbers aren't even confirmed. With the way his dad acts, he's clearly overstating the amount. The fact he's so cocky and would even mention 400-500 tells me the real number is probably around 300. That's garbage.

europagnpilgrim
05-17-2017, 06:46 PM
1) I'm pretty sure there are Lakers fans everywhere. Why only 400-500 pairs. 400-500, how many of those aren't from people who actually HAVE money such as celebrities? This true diehard thing is stupid.
2) Nike gave LeBron a billion dollar deal because they know LeBron can demand that. Adidas would be willing to offer LeBron that much just because he's proven and his sneakers are the best selling (outside Jordan). There's marketing and logistics to deal with when you're trying to create your own sneaker. Things that Nike handle for you and all you get is the royalty, show up, make ads, and pretend you designed the sneaker.
3) Ball is trying to cut out the middleman but there's a reason middleman exists - they do the work FOR you. You're right, you can successfully cut out the middleman but his dad has no business acumen whatsoever. His dad has no idea how to market the product. Look at how he's doing it: He's going to damn ESPN First Take acting like a clown. The pricing also makes zero sense for what he's trying to do. He's been on-record stating that these shoes are "memorabilia" because his son will be so great. This is idiotic. His son's ceiling isn't THAT high. Btw, Jay Z is wealthier than Master P.
4) It's not even about exploiting athletes because they're doing the work. The only thing LeBron does is license his name to them. It's why LeBron was upset that the beer company tried to use LeBron to market their beer. His name is the intangible part of why he's getting paid millions.

1. It is Lakers fans everywhere but I was speaking on actual LA/Cali and being drafted by the Lakers and those right at home fanatics and the Hollywood high/rich life those like to maintain, its no diff. than a die hard booster(s) overpaying for athletes to attend a college, money is not a issue when you are conditioned to live a baller life which Hollywood is the Mecca of that perception, you ever seen a Lakers game live or on tv? its nothing but celebrities galore who love that spotlight so a pair of 500 dollar shoes is nothing when they love to flaunt and what better way than to have the product of your latest professional team franchise player

2. Nike gave Lebron that money because they have generated Billions of dollars since he entered the league, similar to Reebok giving AI that lifetime deal because how much he generated for them, no company will ever give a player a Billion dollar deal if the income isn't triple fold over, which Lebron has done, now imagine Lebron owning his shoe company from rookie year and he would have Nike/Adidas sick in the head for not offering him a Billion dollars as a teenager, they low balled the hell out of him initially with like 10-20mill until Nike came in and I think offered him 90mill

3. you obviously don't have a clue on how marketing/publicity works based on how you say he is going to ESPN talking like a clown, that is pure free marketing for your brand and others are talking about it, rather its good or bad publicity/awareness is all that matters, he is not cutting out the middle man because the middle man is making the shoe, he is cutting out the greedy mulit Billion dollar companies who exploit and use athletes annually, he has got more free publicity not spending a dime outside of his air travel and food expenses and got everybody in a uproar over doing that, that is amazing and any other person selling something would love to be on ESPN/Fox over and over promoting something is going to the public months in advance

4. you do know how contracts work right? its so much into a contract that it is way more than Lebron licensing his name, if it were that easy he would do like Jordan did with the 'JORDAN' brand and have a Lebron branded shoe by now, Jordan later learned that and Lebron should have followed suit but he is tied up into a contract, not a licensing deal, you are thinking about independent artists who license songs for movies/compilatiions but if a artist is in a contract deal with a company they hold the rights to do whatever, like Nike can do with Lebron

Lebron game is the reason why he is getting paid millions, his name comes with the game he displays on the court, similar to how Ball will end up doing if he lives up to his hype his shoe company will be making serious cash, not because of his name but his game/impact on the community

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 06:46 PM
If you don't know the expenses, I'm not gonna go over all of them. Production costs, selling costs, lawyer costs, shipping costs. These things add up. There is no way he pockets $460 after all of these are paid. The thing is, Nike handles all of this. Lawyer costs needed because they have to protect their intangible rights to the shoe. These things are HEAVY. Trust me, some Asian company will have these shoes counterfeited before the official Ball shoes even release. Then you have to make sure that the manufacturer you are working with don't steal any designs you may have. Again, it's fundamental business 101 strategy that in the athletic shoes department, you wanna generate profit through SALES. These shoes aren't going to generate enough sales to be truly profitable. 400-500 sold in a month - not 2 weeks. 400-500, how many of them WEREN'T purchased by a celebrity/really big Lonzo fan that probably won't buy them again? LeBron's sneakers sell millions and he doesn't do anything for it.

LeBron is the 2nd greatest player ever though and may end up as the best. Lonzo hasn't played a game.

Don't be surprised when Lavar lowers the price of his shoes now that the name is out everywhere. Shipping costs are covered by the customer, you're right on lawyer costs I didn't even think of that.

Look, I'll be happy if the brand completely flops and Lavar looks like a fool but so far so good. Their products are selling and they somehow have a huge fan base.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 06:56 PM
LeBron is the 2nd greatest player ever though and may end up as the best. Lonzo hasn't played a game.

Don't be surprised when Lavar lowers the price of his shoes now that the name is out everywhere. Shipping costs are covered by the customer, you're right on lawyer costs I didn't even think of that.

Look, I'll be happy if the brand completely flops and Lavar looks like a fool but so far so good. Their products are selling and they somehow have a huge fan base.

1) LeBron is the 2nd greatest player ever and if they marked his shoes up $500, not even his wife would buy it. The reason people are interested in LeBron's sneakers is because:
•It's Nike. It has brand name all over it.
•LeBron is the best player.
•They're actually good basketball shoes.
•Lots of kids find them fashionable.
•They are somewhat affordable. $160, not bad. Certainly an amount parents wouldn't mind spending for a present.

What does Lonzo have?
•Celebrities purchasing them because they are friends with the family.

They are $500, for Christ's sake. The masses are instantly going to turn that price down and look elsewhere.

2) Shipping costs is included in the price. Transporting the shoes from China to America isn't cheap. You also have to go through numerous fees if you're dealing in large amounts. If you're talking about domestic shipments, then they have a warehouse in the states - more costs.

3) Their product ISN'T selling. Which part of that are you guys not getting? Huge fanbase? 400-500 (overly confident estimates) out of 300 million Americans. No, that's not a huge fanbase. That's a fanbase that is composed of celebrities.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 07:09 PM
1. It is Lakers fans everywhere but I was speaking on actual LA/Cali and being drafted by the Lakers and those right at home fanatics and the Hollywood high/rich life those like to maintain, its no diff. than a die hard booster(s) overpaying for athletes to attend a college, money is not a issue when you are conditioned to live a baller life which Hollywood is the Mecca of that perception, you ever seen a Lakers game live or on tv? its nothing but celebrities galore who love that spotlight so a pair of 500 dollar shoes is nothing when they love to flaunt and what better way than to have the product of your latest professional team franchise player

2. Nike gave Lebron that money because they have generated Billions of dollars since he entered the league, similar to Reebok giving AI that lifetime deal because how much he generated for them, no company will ever give a player a Billion dollar deal if the income isn't triple fold over, which Lebron has done, now imagine Lebron owning his shoe company from rookie year and he would have Nike/Adidas sick in the head for not offering him a Billion dollars as a teenager, they low balled the hell out of him initially with like 10-20mill until Nike came in and I think offered him 90mill

3. you obviously don't have a clue on how marketing/publicity works based on how you say he is going to ESPN talking like a clown, that is pure free marketing for your brand and others are talking about it, rather its good or bad publicity/awareness is all that matters, he is not cutting out the middle man because the middle man is making the shoe, he is cutting out the greedy mulit Billion dollar companies who exploit and use athletes annually, he has got more free publicity not spending a dime outside of his air travel and food expenses and got everybody in a uproar over doing that, that is amazing and any other person selling something would love to be on ESPN/Fox over and over promoting something is going to the public months in advance

4. you do know how contracts work right? its so much into a contract that it is way more than Lebron licensing his name, if it were that easy he would do like Jordan did with the 'JORDAN' brand and have a Lebron branded shoe by now, Jordan later learned that and Lebron should have followed suit but he is tied up into a contract, not a licensing deal, you are thinking about independent artists who license songs for movies/compilatiions but if a artist is in a contract deal with a company they hold the rights to do whatever, like Nike can do with Lebron

Lebron game is the reason why he is getting paid millions, his name comes with the game he displays on the court, similar to how Ball will end up doing if he lives up to his hype his shoe company will be making serious cash, not because of his name but his game/impact on the community

Just reading your stuff proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

1) Yes, what better way to show you're rich than to purchase a pair of Lonzo's. It's been selling so great that two weeks ago, he said they sold 500 pairs. Just today, he says they sold 400-500. So they sold zero pairs the past two weeks. Great solid numbers.
2) First off, Nike never gave LeBron a billion dollars. Secondly, it's contingent on SALES. These guys earn a royalty. The contract isn't a fixed amount - which is why they ESTIMATED it is worth a billion dollars.
3) No, you actually have no clue how marketing/publicity work. Saying your shoes aren't made for females and that "if you ain't have them, you're not a baller" is not a marketing strategy - it's a goofball dad who craves the attention. The reason ESPN continues having him on the show isn't because they love his input. They love the guy making controversial and stupid statements because it generates ratings.
4) Jordan Brand is a subsidiary. It was able to be negotiated because at that time, Adidas was bigger than Nike. Jordan was ABLE to command that amount. He had LEVERAGE. In an interview with a reporter, LeBron's agent said that Nike and LeBron were both happy with the deal. LeBron is a better businessman than you will ever be. If you don't think he knows how to negotiate, you shouldn't pretend YOU do. LeBron's contract was up and they renegotiated a new deal... what are you talking about? Tied up? To WHAT? Licensing. Do you know what it means? It means you allow a company to use your name. LeBron LICENSED his name to Nike for a set amount of years. Just like how NBA and Nike worked out a LICENSING agreement for 8 years worth $1 billion.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 07:31 PM
1) LeBron is the 2nd greatest player ever and if they marked his shoes up $500, not even his wife would buy it. The reason people are interested in LeBron's sneakers is because:
•It's Nike. It has brand name all over it.
•LeBron is the best player.
•They're actually good basketball shoes.
•Lots of kids find them fashionable.
•They are somewhat affordable. $160, not bad. Certainly an amount parents wouldn't mind spending for a present.

What does Lonzo have?
•Celebrities purchasing them because they are friends with the family.

They are $500, for Christ's sake. The masses are instantly going to turn that price down and look elsewhere.

2) Shipping costs is included in the price. Transporting the shoes from China to America isn't cheap. You also have to go through numerous fees if you're dealing in large amounts. If you're talking about domestic shipments, then they have a warehouse in the states - more costs.

3) Their product ISN'T selling. Which part of that are you guys not getting? Huge fanbase? 400-500 (overly confident estimates) out of 300 million Americans. No, that's not a huge fanbase. That's a fanbase that is composed of celebrities.

LeBrons wouldn't sell for $500 now due to them being sold for 160 for so long. There's certain LeBrons selling for $3500 online though.

The fan base is big, it's all over twitter. They try to kill anyone who talks bad about them. The fan base isn't just 400/500 people.

They don't have a warehouse, they're made as they're ordered. I guarantee the shipping they charge the customer is more than the shipping the manufacturer is charging them.

400-500 as of right now is solid for starting your own brand and them selling for 2 weeks, it hasn't been a month. The sales may or may not drop, as of right now there's no way of knowing and at this pace they're going to make millions off just the shoes in the first year.

One Nut Kruk
05-17-2017, 07:44 PM
I believe they do have a big fan base seeing that I estimate about 90% of the population is comprised of morons.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 07:49 PM
LeBrons wouldn't sell for $500 now due to them being sold for 160 for so long. There's certain LeBrons selling for $3500 online though.

The fan base is big, it's all over twitter. They try to kill anyone who talks bad about them. The fan base isn't just 400/500 people.

They don't have a warehouse, they're made as they're ordered. I guarantee the shipping they charge the customer is more than the shipping the manufacturer is charging them.

400-500 as of right now is solid for starting your own brand and them selling for 2 weeks, it hasn't been a month. The sales may or may not drop, as of right now there's no way of knowing and at this pace they're going to make millions off just the shoes in the first year.

1) There's a reason they are selling for $160... Actuaries are HIRED specifically to pinpoint how to price a product for maximum profit. If the shoes are selling for $1,000, you're not going to get enough buyers to make a decent profit. If the shoes are selling for $100, you're just breaking even. At $160, it's the optimum price for them to get the required sales they need to make it worthwhile.

2) I'm not interested in the fanbase on twitter. I'm interesting in who is purchasing them. If you aren't shopping with your wallet, you are irrelevant.

3) I can bet you dollars to donuts they aren't being manufactured based on the order. Reason being is that's now how manufacturers do business. Manufacturers only handle these in large amounts because they have to hire the right personnel for this. They can't stop production for one item because you have ten shoes you need manufactured. By this logic, we have to assume they WILL have a warehouse. Holding inventory cost money. It's why retailers sell on discount just to get rid of it. The shipping they charge is $5. No, you can't transport a sneaker to China for $5 so what makes you think it's cheaper? Manufacturers also price that in. The more you order, the more they are willing to possibly even ship the shoe for free. But you can't order a few pairs and then expect a manufacturer to supply to you on a pair-by-pair basis. The only way you can get such a production cycle is if: a) You are paying them premium to produce the sneaker. b) You OWN the manufacturing plant.

4) We already told you that the pairs ordered are most likely from celebrities and that orders from the initial selling phase are always the highest amount when you price a product at $500.

Think about this on a fundamental level: Are you guys seriously telling me NO ONE has thought of this? Jordan doesn't even do this. Are you telling me Lavar Ball has BETTER business acumen than guys who HIRE the best BUSINESS managers in the world? Think about it. There's a reason not many are doing it.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Btw, the certain LeBron's you're talking about are the ones that are limited in pairs. But those aren't prices Nike sells them for - it's what the general resellers price it at. LIMITED. Nike, I believe, sells them at retail. Just like the Yeezy's. You get them for $240 - not $800. It's the damn resellers who take advantage of the scarcity.

More-Than-Most
05-17-2017, 08:07 PM
i love watching the lakers because of ingram/russ... I do not think Ball is a top 2 pick... 3rd pick? sure... I just have the draft like this

Fultz/Jackson
Ball/Monk/Isaac
Fox

Tatum

He just shouldnt be a top 2 pick.. the insane thing is jackson could drop to the suns at 4 when he could very well be the best player in this draft because the sixers could easily go monk/fox/isacc

Its a nightmare in the making watching his dad torment russ/ingram for taking shots away from his son

eDush
05-17-2017, 08:35 PM

1) Yes, what better way to show you're rich than to purchase a pair of Lonzo's. It's been selling so great that two weeks ago, he said they sold 500 pairs. Just today, he says they sold 400-500. So they sold zero pairs the past two weeks. Great solid numbers.
2) First off, Nike never gave LeBron a billion dollars. Secondly, it's contingent on SALES. These guys earn a royalty. The contract isn't a fixed amount - which is why they ESTIMATED it is worth a billion dollars.
3) No, you actually have no clue how marketing/publicity work. Saying your shoes aren't made for females and that "if you ain't have them, you're not a baller" is not a marketing strategy - it's a goofball dad who craves the attention. The reason ESPN continues having him on the show isn't because they love his input. They love the guy making controversial and stupid statements because it generates ratings.
4) Jordan Brand is a subsidiary. It was able to be negotiated because at that time, Adidas was bigger than Nike. Jordan was ABLE to command that amount. He had LEVERAGE. In an interview with a reporter, LeBron's agent said that Nike and LeBron were both happy with the deal. LeBron is a better businessman than you will ever be. If you don't think he knows how to negotiate, you shouldn't pretend YOU do. LeBron's contract was up and they renegotiated a new deal... what are you talking about? Tied up? To WHAT? Licensing. Do you know what it means? It means you allow a company to use your name. LeBron LICENSED his name to Nike for a set amount of years. Just like how NBA and Nike worked out a LICENSING agreement for 8 years worth $1 billion.May I ask what is the most you ever paid for a single pair and it doesn't even have to be baller shoes?

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 08:44 PM
May I ask what is the most you ever paid for a single pair and it doesn't even have to be baller shoes?

$650. It's a pair of alden boots. but it's well worth it. I haven't regretted the price.

Gibby23
05-17-2017, 08:47 PM
i love watching the lakers because of ingram/russ... I do not think Ball is a top 2 pick... 3rd pick? sure... I just have the draft like this

Fultz/Jackson
Ball/Monk/Isaac
Fox

Tatum

He just shouldnt be a top 2 pick.. the insane thing is jackson could drop to the suns at 4 when he could very well be the best player in this draft because the sixers could easily go monk/fox/isacc

Its a nightmare in the making watching his dad torment russ/ingram for taking shots away from his son

I'm not questioning your basketball knowledge I'll let others do that. If you know the type of player Ball is and b the type of player his dad says he is, you would know he is pass 1st point guard that pushes tempo with the passing game and others running.

warfelg
05-17-2017, 08:55 PM
$650. It's a pair of alden boots. but it's well worth it. I haven't regretted the price.

Damn high roller.

In the last 6 years I've spent $60 on shoes. But I've got 20 new pairs in that time. Thank you golf profession.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 09:00 PM
1) There's a reason they are selling for $160... Actuaries are HIRED specifically to pinpoint how to price a product for maximum profit. If the shoes are selling for $1,000, you're not going to get enough buyers to make a decent profit. If the shoes are selling for $100, you're just breaking even. At $160, it's the optimum price for them to get the required sales they need to make it worthwhile.

2) I'm not interested in the fanbase on twitter. I'm interesting in who is purchasing them. If you aren't shopping with your wallet, you are irrelevant.

3) I can bet you dollars to donuts they aren't being manufactured based on the order. Reason being is that's now how manufacturers do business. Manufacturers only handle these in large amounts because they have to hire the right personnel for this. They can't stop production for one item because you have ten shoes you need manufactured. By this logic, we have to assume they WILL have a warehouse. Holding inventory cost money. It's why retailers sell on discount just to get rid of it. The shipping they charge is $5. No, you can't transport a sneaker to China for $5 so what makes you think it's cheaper? Manufacturers also price that in. The more you order, the more they are willing to possibly even ship the shoe for free. But you can't order a few pairs and then expect a manufacturer to supply to you on a pair-by-pair basis. The only way you can get such a production cycle is if: a) You are paying them premium to produce the sneaker. b) You OWN the manufacturing plant.

4) We already told you that the pairs ordered are most likely from celebrities and that orders from the initial selling phase are always the highest amount when you price a product at $500.

Think about this on a fundamental level: Are you guys seriously telling me NO ONE has thought of this? Jordan doesn't even do this. Are you telling me Lavar Ball has BETTER business acumen than guys who HIRE the best BUSINESS managers in the world? Think about it. There's a reason not many are doing it.

1. You're partially right. If LeBrons sold for $100 they would still make a huge profit he's just LeBron so they know they can sell them for $160-185. Kobes seem to be cheaper now that he's retired I guarantee they're makin huge profits. Neither would come close to breaking even if they sold for $100.

2. The fan base is there, sales will sky rocket when prices are lowered, they will be lowered.

3. I'll take you up on that bet. The shoes aren't even available until November 24th right now they're basically
Just taking in preorders. Closer to the time of sale they will send the manufacturer their number of sales, have them manufactured, and then distribute them to everyone who bought a pair.

4. The pairs ordered may or may not be from celebrities, you and I have no way of knowing. I'm just stating at their current rate they're doing good.

They don't have near the manufacturing of Nike or Jordan so they took a gamble on higher prices.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Damn high roller.

In the last 6 years I've spent $60 on shoes. But I've got 20 new pairs in that time. Thank you golf profession.

Far from it. I have a very methodical approach in terms of how I spend my money. These Alden's will basically last me a lifetime. Any damages are usually repaired for a fee ($100). So every 4-5 years, I'll fork up that $100. Much better than paying for crappy shoes that will just break or crack in months. It's also the highest quality of leather in any pair of shoes I've seen.

BSF101
05-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Wait since the Celtics have the #1 Pick what makes the Father so sure they won't take him?
Being a Celtics fan and despising the Lakers I will truly feel sorry for them imagine having this nutcase
showing up at every game, practice, media section etc. The guys 2 grapes away from the fruit salad.

Shlumpledink
05-17-2017, 09:27 PM
I bet Lavar is secretly a 76ers fan

Aust
05-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Who cares what this fool wants? If we select someone else the look on their faces in the draft area will be priceless.

IKnowHoops
05-17-2017, 11:27 PM
How many pairs of shoes does Lavar have to sell for him to be right?

Scoots
05-17-2017, 11:33 PM
Btw, the certain LeBron's you're talking about are the ones that are limited in pairs. But those aren't prices Nike sells them for - it's what the general resellers price it at. LIMITED. Nike, I believe, sells them at retail. Just like the Yeezy's. You get them for $240 - not $800. It's the damn resellers who take advantage of the scarcity.

Yeah, and is anybody buying the $500 "basketball" shoe going to buy a 2nd pair? a 3rd? I've owned dozens of Nikes (mostly Jordans), my favorite still is the 7.

Gibby23
05-17-2017, 11:46 PM

He can sell one and make a profit. They only make it after you pay.

WaDe03
05-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Yeah, and is anybody buying the $500 "basketball" shoe going to buy a 2nd pair? a 3rd? I've owned dozens of Nikes (mostly Jordans), my favorite still is the 7.

If they buy the first there's a chance they'll buy the Lonzo 2s as well. Prices on his first pair probably drop after the 2nd pair comes out too.

europagnpilgrim
05-18-2017, 01:03 AM

4) Jordan Brand is a subsidiary. It was able to be negotiated because at that time, Adidas was bigger than Nike. Jordan was ABLE to command that amount. He had LEVERAGE. In an interview with a reporter, LeBron's agent said that Nike and LeBron were both happy with the deal. LeBron is a better businessman than you will ever be. If you don't think he knows how to negotiate, you shouldn't pretend YOU do. LeBron's contract was up and they renegotiated a new deal... what are you talking about? Tied up? To WHAT? Licensing. Do you know what it means? It means you allow a company to use your name. LeBron LICENSED his name to Nike for a set amount of years. Just like how NBA and Nike worked out a LICENSING agreement for 8 years worth $1 billion.

Replying to you is such a cakewalk

1. Well the dummies do it all the damn time, Gucci/Fendi/Prada and other high name brand priced products are still around for that same reason, if he has sold 500 pair already independently he is winning, when he gets drafted and actually plays in the nba his sales will increase, just like his jersey sales will wants he showcases his ability and has a impact or just entertains his fan base, that's basic common sense... who cares what he has sold as of right now because the key is he already planted the seed, which takes time to grow other than your synthetic world of thinking, people buy/support hype all the time, wont be any different unless he just sucks on the court, fact

2. didn't say they gave him anything, I said the reason why it would be such a large number is based on how much he has made them since they signed him to 90mill his rookie year or whatever that deal was the initially gave him, if it is estimated at 1 billion it is based on him making them 3x that amount, that's how those Giant greedy corporations operate, in the green majorly

3. They are made for females though since over half of the WNBA are dikes/lesbians, he just started out with his first shoe which should be catered for nba/college/HS men/male, then expand as you make more money and put out more diverse product later, that's marketing 101, he is getting free advertising on the biggest sports network for whatever reason, without paying a dime and promoting the product, being a baller has many layers and has been promoted throughout society for decades, his baller brand name is nothing creative or special but how he is putting it out on his own is since all the new crop run to the big name shoe brands before they even step foot on the hardwood, go ask Lebron for proof

4. Goes to show you that being in a contract works majorly in the favor of the giant company so Ball brand is going to rake in crazy cash if that boy is a major player his rookie year and beyond and playing in that LA market, I knew Jordan brand was subsidiary of Nike but I thought he owned it but I didn't know Lebron licensed his name because all I did was read the headline when the deal leaked to media outlets and based it on that alone, really don't care about it outside of the headline when I figure he would re up with them anyway

warfelg
05-18-2017, 10:58 AM

$3billion profit.

IndyRealist
05-18-2017, 12:10 PM

You can't extrapolate a flat sales curve. The peaks are going to be at presale (now) and probably a bump if he actually gets drafted by the Lakers, because $500 in LA is $200 in the Midwest. But assuming consistent sales is unrealistic.

And then we're back to "how much does it cost to make 500 pairs of shoes"? The unit price is substantially high than if you're making 50,000 pairs.

Numbers aside, this guy is living vicariously through his kids because he wasn't good enough to make it. He's angry soccer dad and pageant mom rolled into one. Can't believe people actually have anything but pity for him. Luckily his sons are nothing like him so far.

IndyRealist
05-18-2017, 12:16 PM

To be right? Enough so that he can tell Nike, Adidas, etc to shove their shoe deals. He's saying he is changing the paradigm, he set this up as David v Goliath. He needs to make the same money or more than he would with a shoe deal.

FlashBolt
05-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Replying to you is such a cakewalk

1. Well the dummies do it all the damn time, Gucci/Fendi/Prada and other high name brand priced products are still around for that same reason, if he has sold 500 pair already independently he is winning, when he gets drafted and actually plays in the nba his sales will increase, just like his jersey sales will wants he showcases his ability and has a impact or just entertains his fan base, that's basic common sense... who cares what he has sold as of right now because the key is he already planted the seed, which takes time to grow other than your synthetic world of thinking, people buy/support hype all the time, wont be any different unless he just sucks on the court, fact

2. didn't say they gave him anything, I said the reason why it would be such a large number is based on how much he has made them since they signed him to 90mill his rookie year or whatever that deal was the initially gave him, if it is estimated at 1 billion it is based on him making them 3x that amount, that's how those Giant greedy corporations operate, in the green majorly

3. They are made for females though since over half of the WNBA are dikes/lesbians, he just started out with his first shoe which should be catered for nba/college/HS men/male, then expand as you make more money and put out more diverse product later, that's marketing 101, he is getting free advertising on the biggest sports network for whatever reason, without paying a dime and promoting the product, being a baller has many layers and has been promoted throughout society for decades, his baller brand name is nothing creative or special but how he is putting it out on his own is since all the new crop run to the big name shoe brands before they even step foot on the hardwood, go ask Lebron for proof

4. Goes to show you that being in a contract works majorly in the favor of the giant company so Ball brand is going to rake in crazy cash if that boy is a major player his rookie year and beyond and playing in that LA market, I knew Jordan brand was subsidiary of Nike but I thought he owned it but I didn't know Lebron licensed his name because all I did was read the headline when the deal leaked to media outlets and based it on that alone, really don't care about it outside of the headline when I figure he would re up with them anyway

1) Gucci can do it because they are a famous brand that has reputation. Gucci also has MANY products. Gucci also caters to a completely different market. I'm not sure where you think these ZO2 sneakers are going to be but they aren't a luxury product. Yeah, if Zo does play well, the shoes do get some extra sales. But why would ANYONE buy HIS shoes for $500 when there are better players out there with nicer shoes? Why would a teenager fork over $500 for a pair of Zo's? And what are the risks involved with his son being doodoo and then getting shelved? Oh boy, that Nike contract with GUARANTEED money would've been a beauty.
2) These "greedy" corporations are taking a risk on a player. Just like with Derrick Rose, these players aren't 100% guaranteed generating money. I'm willing to bet they lose money with Rose's contract. Under Armour has been tanking lately and Curry's shoes haven't done as well as they thought. In a perfect world, both parties succeed. That almost never happens. Nike is also doing all the work. Unless you're telling me LeBron handles all the marketing, manufacturing, design, political, economical, and any company functions, then you would have a point.
3) He just said BBB isn't a female brand. Go dig up the video. And you act like "free advertisement" is always a good thing. Okay, why doesn't he go out to an NBA playoff game and run around naked on the court? It's free advertising, right? Better yet, why doesn't his son go around marketing the shoe? All I hear is his dad yapping about how great it is but I've yet to really hear anything regarding his son enjoying the shoe. It's bad marketing. Being a baller? LMAO, stop it. True ballers aren't buying this crap. It's made in China.
4) IDK what you're talking about here. How did you think Jordan owned the Jordan brand but that you also knew that it was a subsidiary of Nike? Jordan doesn't do what Ball does because Nike is a genius at promoting and creating product. Michael Jordan isn't.
5) The product will get counterfeitted. End of story. $500 pair of shoes. If a manufacturer in China gets a copy, they are counterfeitting and releasing it before Lavar even gets shoe orders out.

europagnpilgrim
05-18-2017, 11:01 PM
You can't extrapolate a flat sales curve. The peaks are going to be at presale (now) and probably a bump if he actually gets drafted by the Lakers, because $500 in LA is $200 in the Midwest. But assuming consistent sales is unrealistic.

And then we're back to "how much does it cost to make 500 pairs of shoes"? The unit price is substantially high than if you're making 50,000 pairs.

Numbers aside, this guy is living vicariously through his kids because he wasn't good enough to make it. He's angry soccer dad and pageant mom rolled into one. Can't believe people actually have anything but pity for him. Luckily his sons are nothing like him so far.

Don't know if you have kids or not but both his parents played ball/sports so its evident the kids are living through them and influenced by his parents who did what they did rather they made it professional or not which is hard to do as it is, it works both ways being a child/parent especially when you are there day 1

its like would you rather secure your kids future and steer it or let the investors/ corporate sharks just take over advantage of your children? he may be living through his kids but he has been there raising them day 1 so I don't see why that should change, his son is still a teenager/baby, now as he ages and gets his grown man status then he could do what he feels(and still lean on his parents for advice/guidance) but regardless if he is going to the nba he is still a teenager still trying to find his way and having a Father in these type of waters helps immensely, rather we agree with his tactics or not

europagnpilgrim
05-18-2017, 11:22 PM
1) Gucci can do it because they are a famous brand that has reputation. Gucci also has MANY products. Gucci also caters to a completely different market. I'm not sure where you think these ZO2 sneakers are going to be but they aren't a luxury product. Yeah, if Zo does play well, the shoes do get some extra sales. But why would ANYONE buy HIS shoes for $500 when there are better players out there with nicer shoes? Why would a teenager fork over $500 for a pair of Zo's? And what are the risks involved with his son being doodoo and then getting shelved? Oh boy, that Nike contract with GUARANTEED money would've been a beauty.
2) These "greedy" corporations are taking a risk on a player. Just like with Derrick Rose, these players aren't 100% guaranteed generating money. I'm willing to bet they lose money with Rose's contract. Under Armour has been tanking lately and Curry's shoes haven't done as well as they thought. In a perfect world, both parties succeed. That almost never happens. Nike is also doing all the work. Unless you're telling me LeBron handles all the marketing, manufacturing, design, political, economical, and any company functions, then you would have a point.
3) He just said BBB isn't a female brand. Go dig up the video. And you act like "free advertisement" is always a good thing. Okay, why doesn't he go out to an NBA playoff game and run around naked on the court? It's free advertising, right? Better yet, why doesn't his son go around marketing the shoe? All I hear is his dad yapping about how great it is but I've yet to really hear anything regarding his son enjoying the shoe. It's bad marketing. Being a baller? LMAO, stop it. True ballers aren't buying this crap. It's made in China.
4) IDK what you're talking about here. How did you think Jordan owned the Jordan brand but that you also knew that it was a subsidiary of Nike? Jordan doesn't do what Ball does because Nike is a genius at promoting and creating product. Michael Jordan isn't.
5) The product will get counterfeitted. End of story. $500 pair of shoes. If a manufacturer in China gets a copy, they are counterfeitting and releasing it before Lavar even gets shoe orders out.

1. Gucci is still over charging regardless of how famous and only get away with it because of a reputation that doesn't mean jack, they are living off a name but were once in Ball situation so he is just doing the old trick of starting high off top and probably will have to decrease the price later, time will tell, a wealthy over priviledge Cali Beverly Hills teenager will fork over that quickly if drafted by LA because they are spoiled brats with no regard to money, its just the way society has evolved over the years, oh well

2. These greedy corporations are playing with printed money so its really not a risk at all, if you were a super billionaire with a hidden quadrillionaire backing and you set up deals where you make the lions share then its really not risky at all, D Rose got injured which killed his deal but prior to that he was the leagues hottest commodity who was on the verge of making them well over whatever they gave him in the initial deal, companies don't give you 100mill deals because you made them 5million, its because you raked in a whole bunch of money prior, if they give you 100mill deal its because they are projected to rake in 5x that amount or more, but D Rose is a horrible example because injuries derailed him pretty quickly and he became damaged goods, Jordan/Lebron/AI are way better examples to use, Air Jordan still rake in like 2.5 Billion in annual sales and he hasn't played since 03', but Jordan is listed as a Billionaire, just one B, not like he should be actually worth because he signed a contract with the greedy corporations but I bet Nike is worth around 55+Billion, Jordan is getting pennies compared to what he actually made for Nike, same with Lebron/AI and whoever else

3. Even if he said it initially I am sure they will have females products down the line if he wants to diverse his portfolio, if he doesn't then he will stunt the growth of his company severely, free advertising is a real good thing, its a reason why people love to cross promote to get more consumers, why would he need to run on the court naked when he is on the biggest sport networks talking crazy and getting the most feedback from the people? c'mon now you are smarter than that, or at least I think you should be since you post on here thinking you know it all, fck

his son is a quiet guy it seems like, he doesn't need to be out here boasting about it because then you would be saying the same thing about him as you do his dad, let the big dawg lead and the son plays his position and lets his court play do the talking, which most so called experts have him going in the top 3 of this upcoming draft, I think that is pretty good talking, if you don't know that free publicity rather good or bad is a good thing then operating a business is not for you

4. Because I thought Jordan Brand was his with Nike distribution, no different then if I sign you to my label then yrs later I give you your own label later through my company(or Universal) doing the distribution, you would own the lions share like 80-90pct while I get my 10-20pct, but if you were directly signed to me I would get the lions share, that's what I was thinking, Jordan didn't do it because his dad wasn't savvy enough or knew his son would have this type of culture impact, if his dad knew I would guarantee it he would have went a different route, easily

that would make you a subsidiary of Universal/me but you would be more in position of power pct./profit wise

5. well damn if it does get counterfeited then I am sure as hell it will be a successful business since we all know Gucci/(Insert brand) and others get heavily counterfeited nationwide, because they are a success right and very popular and so damn expensive for the avg consumer to afford? or a flop?

last I checked bootleggers/counterfeiters do it because the product is a success or in high demand, I could be wrong but I highly doubt it

WaDe03
05-19-2017, 12:06 AM

Yea I would be shocked if the sales kept up, just stating that as of right now he's on good pace. We'll see how it ends up.

I can't stand the dude either and it's making it hard to want to see his kids do well because I know I'll hear more ignorant **** from him.

LA_Raiders
05-19-2017, 12:27 AM
He is a crack head. All the money he is loosing just for being an idiot. Time to move out of the house lonzo.

tredigs
05-19-2017, 12:47 AM
while what you are saying is on point

I tend to see how the media has leaked that Magic wont have a problem drafting him because of his dad, its a Cali connection, and how they(Ball fam) are openly campaigning for it seems like its pretty much going to happen unless a team below LA values him more and trades up to number 1 to get him

when these type of stories leak its for a reason, rather it happens or not is another animal

"Leak" seems like a stretch to say the least. All of this is out in the open. Lonzo is dying to go to LA, now it's on LA to decide if he's worth it.

This "$3B" story is obviously just more of Lavar's marketing and not a real number that he has any dreams of being realized, in case that wasn't obvious lol.

I feel bad for Lonzo. He's going to get murdered by all the talented guards in the NBA his rookie year.

FlashBolt
05-19-2017, 01:11 AM
So far what I'm getting from those saying this is smart is:

"Lavar is smart because he's getting more profit."

LeBron, Jordan, Kobe. I'm sure these athletes have the highest quality business managers out there. I'm sure the idea of creating their own brand has come up. And I'm sure they thought long and hard about it and realized that they don't have the connections that Nike has for it to come to fruition. I'd rather buy a pair of Yeezy's before I touch a pair of ZO2's. And Yeezy's are $250 (if you can get it from the retailers). His dad isn't smart. People have tried and failed doing what he's done because they underestimated every aspect of how large of a business decision it really is. I think I read that 90% of all businesses fail. Businesses fail because you're not doing something right. In this case, he's got an idea but he doesn't know how to reach potential buyers. $500? Lmao.

SiteWolf
05-19-2017, 08:00 AM
I still say for all the money he thinks he's making by starting his own brand, he's taking that much away from sponsorship deals his kids would otherwise get. On top of that, he's putting targets on them so that they'll be scrutinized even more for their play. So basically he's taking money away from his own kids while also putting undue pressure on them. All to line his own pockets.

europagnpilgrim
05-19-2017, 01:01 PM
So far what I'm getting from those saying this is smart is:

"Lavar is smart because he's getting more profit."

LeBron, Jordan, Kobe. I'm sure these athletes have the highest quality business managers out there. I'm sure the idea of creating their own brand has come up. And I'm sure they thought long and hard about it and realized that they don't have the connections that Nike has for it to come to fruition. I'd rather buy a pair of Yeezy's before I touch a pair of ZO2's. And Yeezy's are $250 (if you can get it from the retailers). His dad isn't smart. People have tried and failed doing what he's done because they underestimated every aspect of how large of a business decision it really is. I think I read that 90% of all businesses fail. Businesses fail because you're not doing something right. In this case, he's got an idea but he doesn't know how to reach potential buyers. $500? Lmao.

He is doing it his way which could either be dumb or smart given the scenario of it

Lebron/Jordan/kobe had the highest quality of sharks/managers who took advantage of those young naïve kids, and based on the total net worth of Nike alone compared to those 3 combined show the proof, would you rather be working with 75Billion or 2Billion?

Imagine if Jordan had done this way back and then he signed Lebron/Kobe to deals where he distributed their shoe but they had the lions share, it would be insane on what they would be actually worth

I wouldn't touch Yeezy's or this Lonzo shoe as of right now but I would purchase some J's/Lebron/AI's in a heartbeat second, his dad is doing what corporations are doing to athletes but its his own kid/brand and they keep the money in the family or they could have walked into Nike/Adidas and got a slave deal like the others mostly do

of course businesses fail a lot because of lack of resources/economics, not all businesses can start out having a printing machine sponsoring them, all these major corporations are backed by the hidden printing machine and then later they will merge for the most part to make it even harder for the 99pct, they monopolize the game so why would you want someone to rattle the cage? its the same reason why they took Bill Gates to court over Microsoft because he had a chokehold on the software Windows/internet and they said he monopolized it and was making all the money, its the same reason why they don't want another Master P in hip hop who sold 75million records while keeping 85-90pct of the profit, its the same reason why they will offer Lebron/Jordan a deal before they basically step foot on the court or shortly right after, the best deal is to sign yourself and that's what Ball did, he had the BBB brand before his son ever stepped foot in the nba so why not continue? if it fails its on him, if it succeeds its on him, that is everybody bottomline when they start a business

don't hate the player, hate the game/system/structure

FlashBolt
05-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Lol @ LeBron/Jordan/Kobe taking advantage of the young naive kids but Lavar isn't with a $500 price tag. You're ridiculous, dude. I don't see why you even bother commenting because there is no logical process involved with what you're saying. Nike isn't just LeBron+Kobe+Jordan. Maybe you heard of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Roger Federer? I mean, soccer is only the biggest sport in the world. I'm pretty sure Ronaldo is a huge part of Nike's success.

Imagine if Jordan had done this way back? Oh, yeah. Because Jordan is an expert at creating, promoting, and handling the business aspect the way Nike is capable. Stop. Professionals at every level from the design, marketing, manufacturing, logistics, and various other business functions are involved in creating a shoe. You don't simply create something. That's the easy part.

Slave deal? WTF are you talking about. Jordan gets handed a design from someone from Jordan brand and approves it and then he makes millions. What kind of slave is this? Do you really think LeBron sits behind a desk designing the shoe and then calls the manufacturers to produce the shoe going through every specific detail, then LeBron decides who to sell the shoe to and which geographical location? You are ridiculous, dude. These athletes aren't doing the bulk of the work in selling a shoe other than being great at their sport.

Don't hate the player, hate the game/structure? What does that even mean? Are you telling me the BBB brand will be bigger than the LeBron line of sneakers or Jordan brand? What exactly are you even saying?

LOb0
05-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Lol @ LeBron/Jordan/Kobe taking advantage of the young naive kids but Lavar isn't with a $500 price tag. You're ridiculous, dude. I don't see why you even bother commenting because there is no logical process involved with what you're saying. Nike isn't just LeBron+Kobe+Jordan. Maybe you heard of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Roger Federer? I mean, soccer is only the biggest sport in the world. I'm pretty sure Ronaldo is a huge part of Nike's success.

Imagine if Jordan had done this way back? Oh, yeah. Because Jordan is an expert at creating, promoting, and handling the business aspect the way Nike is capable. Stop. Professionals at every level from the design, marketing, manufacturing, logistics, and various other business functions are involved in creating a shoe. You don't simply create something. That's the easy part.

Slave deal? WTF are you talking about. Jordan gets handed a design from someone from Jordan brand and approves it and then he makes millions. What kind of slave is this? Do you really think LeBron sits behind a desk designing the shoe and then calls the manufacturers to produce the shoe going through every specific detail, then LeBron decides who to sell the shoe to and which geographical location? You are ridiculous, dude. These athletes aren't doing the bulk of the work in selling a shoe other than being great at their sport.

Don't hate the player, hate the game/structure? What does that even mean? Are you telling me the BBB brand will be bigger than the LeBron line of sneakers or Jordan brand? What exactly are you even saying?

Yeah the bottom line should be money. Which his dad as already cost him millions which he will not make back with this BBB crap. How are they taking advantage when he's going to make less now?

Silent
05-19-2017, 06:37 PM
this kid is gonna bust then his shoes won't be worth a penny

look! big kids
05-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Probably more popular with kids and folks who are a far cry from rich

Protecting the self through consumption: Status goods as affirmational commodities Niro Sivanathan, Nathan C. Pettit 2010 (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103110000247)

This study was done in response to the peculiar phenomenon that individuals of lower social stature tend to purchase high-status goods despite their relatively low earnings. Attempts to explain this trend have taken off from the basic premise that there is a significant link between an individual’s possessions and his notions of self-worth and in particular his social esteem. Given the modest nature of living with little economic means, it follows that members of a lower socioeconomic class lack the psychological self-assurance and esteem present in the upper and middle classes, and thus may turn to consumption as a means of self-affirmation, perhaps as a psychological counterbalance to the ego-threatening elements implicit in low-status living.

This paper proposes that the affirmational purchasing of higher-status goods is compensatory, and moreover, often necessary to preserve self-integrity in the face of social and environmental threats to self-image and notions of self-worth. This study aims to test these hypotheses, and also proposes that when provided a different way to combat psychological wounds, the individual’s need to purchase status-infused goods is diluted or decreased.