PDA

View Full Version : Is D'Angelo Russell and Lonzo Ball a great fit?

GiantsSwaGG
05-17-2017, 03:50 PM
If the Lakers draft Ball do they keep Russell? 2 ball dominated guards, Russell will get killed defensively at the 2 guard and maybe their personalities might not mesh. Do the keep Russell or trade him if they draft Ball?

Ebbs
05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
I don't think it's the bad fit others seem to. But I get the feeling Magic is not fond of Russell and we know the Lakers want to compete sooner rather than later. Hard to imagine them playing together long enough to really know.

hugepatsfan
05-17-2017, 03:56 PM
They'll take Josh Jackson.

Heediot
05-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Pops can turn DLo into an allstar and turn him into a solid 3rd option on the spurs. I think DLo needs a coach like Pops so he can get his head out of his *** and become more serious as a pro. Parker's expiring and Danny Green, for DLo and Mozgov's bad contract. I am sure pops can make Mozgov useful as he does with everyone he coaches. Spurs extend Simmons to take D Green spot in the staring lineup.

FOXHOUND
05-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Basketball wise, I don't know. I don't think Ball will be able to guard PG's and Russell can't guard anyone, so defensively that could be a nightmare. Offensively, it fits much better. Both can play on and off the ball and Russell is much more a 2 than a 1.

Personality wise, would Russell accept sharing or losing the spotlight to Ball? Eh, I would feel worse about that than any basketball fit questions. Maybe I'm not giving Russell enough credit there, I don't know.

mngopher35
05-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Ya I think it could be fine offensively but the defense would probably suck from them. How much value does Russell even have though? I feel like even if they wanted to move him the return wouldn't be too great so keeping him and hoping he proves himself more might be the right move (even if just until deadline).

Scoots
05-17-2017, 04:14 PM
If I was the Lakers GM I would have Ball off of my board and make it public that LaVar is the reason.

GREATNESS ONE
05-17-2017, 04:19 PM
If I was the Lakers GM I would have Ball off of my board and make it public that LaVar is the reason.

That's ridiculous.

valade16
05-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Can they co-exist? Sure, so long as Lonzo Ball isn't cheating on his girlfriend and tells Russell about it.

TheDish87
05-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Pops can turn DLo into an allstar and turn him into a solid 3rd option on the spurs. I think DLo needs a coach like Pops so he can get his head out of his *** and become more serious as a pro. Parker's expiring and Danny Green, for DLo and Mozgov's bad contract. I am sure pops can make Mozgov useful as he does with everyone he coaches. Spurs extend Simmons to take D Green spot in the staring lineup.

lololol you think the spurs of all teams would take back that Moz contract?

DanG
05-17-2017, 05:00 PM
They'll be fine offensively. Defense is the real question mark.

LA4life24/8
05-17-2017, 05:04 PM
They'll take Josh Jackson.

Feck i really hope so man

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Russell is probably the many pieces headed to Pacers if a PG13 trade happened. Lakers probably start over with PG13 and Ball. Just a wild guess.

LA4life24/8
05-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Yeah offensively i actually dont see much problem. Lonzo loves passing the ball he wants to do that more than score. Dlo likes to score more than pass.

Defensively theyd be trash. Gettin killed.

Which is why i say we take JJ because he and ingram on the wings for the next 12-15 years will be great for our defense. Two lockdown (they will be ) defenders who are both athletic capable scorers (they will be). I like that a lot.

Or trade down and take fox. Because

Fox>dlo,ball defensively

Heediot
05-17-2017, 05:22 PM
lololol you think the spurs of all teams would take back that Moz contract?

I don't know lol. Just putting up hypothetical trade scenarios.

mrblisterdundee
05-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Both Ball and Russell are underwhelming defenders and athletes, but imagine all that size, passing and shooting ability all in one back court. Both have the length and at least some athleticism to develop into good defenders. If they can share the ball, the Lakers should have the makings of a great pace-and-space offense.
If they don't work together, Russell is decent trade bait for a better fit.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Russell is probably the many pieces headed to Pacers if a PG13 trade happened. Lakers probably start over with PG13 and Ball. Just a wild guess.

yep

Raps18-19 Champ
05-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Russell has disappointed me in every way possible.

I thought Lakers got the best player with Russell but he's been disappointing. Maybe he can still be that 20 PPG player but I don't think it'll come with team success.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-17-2017, 05:29 PM
They should trade Russell to the 76ers for Okafor.

SiteWolf
05-17-2017, 05:48 PM

for what purpose....stating that reason, that is

mrblisterdundee
05-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Russell has disappointed me in every way possible.

I thought Lakers got the best player with Russell but he's been disappointing. Maybe he can still be that 20 PPG player but I don't think it'll come with team success.

I think Lonzo will make Russell significantly deadlier off the ball. He can be an efficient plus-20-point scorer as Thompson is in Golden State.

Ew. No; just no. Okafor isn't a bust like Bennett, but he's also not even a starter. I wouldn't trade Zizic for Okafor.

GiantsSwaGG
05-17-2017, 07:05 PM
I think Lonzo will make Russell significantly deadlier off the ball. He can be an efficient plus-20-point scorer as Thompson is in Golden State.

Ew. No; just no. Okafor isn't a bust like Bennett, but he's also not even a starter. I wouldn't trade Zizic for Okafor.

How? Russell doesn't look comfortable off the ball.

LA4life24/8
05-17-2017, 07:13 PM

They gotta get him goin off screens and moving. I think hes a better shooter in motion than set shooter. Hes always like one two dribbles and then shooting. Get him moving ala ray allen/ rip Hamilton and i think he becomes more effective off ball ( and no im not saying hes the shooter or scorer either of them are) but i think this would help

GiantsSwaGG
05-17-2017, 07:22 PM
They gotta get him goin off screens and moving. I think hes a better shooter in motion than set shooter. Hes always like one two dribbles and then shooting. Get him moving ala ray allen/ rip Hamilton and i think he becomes more effective off ball ( and no im not saying hes the shooter or scorer either of them are) but i think this would help

Idk, that's really asking him to get off his comfort zone. He's an iso player and maybe his ego won't allow him to change roles/play second fiddle.

Dade County
05-17-2017, 07:23 PM
I wanted Ball & Booker... Or Ball & Simmons.

Ball is going to make all his teammates better,

More-Than-Most
05-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Its not a good fit.... personality or floor wise... Also the lakers will end up getting rid of the higher potential player in russ.

More-Than-Most
05-17-2017, 08:10 PM

id jerk off a gorilla

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Why would Lakers trade for PG when they can just wait for PG to opt out a year later? Not like they're getting anywhere next season.

More-Than-Most
05-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Why would Lakers trade for PG when they can just wait for PG to opt out a year later? Not like they're getting anywhere next season.

because its not promised.... this logic from laker fans is so short sighted it bothers me you use the same... Remember how Howard was gonna resign or How westy was def coming there? Money talks as does the team situation... Lets say the celtics trade for him and they go to the finals next year... Do you think he is leaving that much money on the table and leaving a team in the finals to go to the lakers? Like I said if you can trade for PG13 and all it takes is ingram/russ etc you do it without hesitation and build with PG13/Ball instead of waiting only to be screwed over if ingrams value drops and PG13 goes elsewhere.

GREATNESS ONE
05-17-2017, 08:31 PM

It would help if that mofo would get in the gym and get to work! How you going to skip voluntary workouts!

I love the NFL Draft question, where do you rank football in your life? If it isn't in the top 3 you gotta go!

I don't think Basketball is in DRuss top 3 values of importance.

GREATNESS ONE
05-17-2017, 08:33 PM
I wanted Ball & Booker... Or Ball & Simmons.

Ball is going to make all his teammates better,

:hi5:

Gibby23
05-17-2017, 08:55 PM

So you haven't watched Russell off the ball? Just making blanket statements? He played off the ball a lot the 2nd ha l for of the year and was moved to SG for the last b month and he was better at the 2 guard spot. Also the weakness that Ball has in pick and roll offense is a strength for Russell so he will excel in half court sets and a secondary ball handler. Also allows him to play off the ball and look for his shot more. Russell is also a good cutter without the ball but no guard on the team last year was getting him the ball

kobe4thewinbang
05-18-2017, 12:22 AM
I hope they keep D'Lo, but rumors are a'swirling in PG-13 trade talks. It's an exciting time for Lakers fans again. I think he and Ball would do well together. D'Lo is a wash defensively with Clarkson, whose contract is more PG-13 trade-friendly.

mrblisterdundee
05-18-2017, 02:03 AM
So you haven't watched Russell off the ball? Just making blanket statements? He played off the ball a lot the 2nd ha l for of the year and was moved to SG for the last b month and he was better at the 2 guard spot. Also the weakness that Ball has in pick and roll offense is a strength for Russell so he will excel in half court sets and a secondary ball handler. Also allows him to play off the ball and look for his shot more. Russell is also a good cutter without the ball but no guard on the team last year was getting him the ball

The defense to me is a bigger issue than their playing styles. They can both shoot lights out, score a ton and get over five assists per game. The big question is whether they can develop on defense, especially considering they're a combined 12 feet, 11 inches in height with 14 feet of wingspan. Then there's 6-foot-9-inch Ingram with his 7-foot wingspan. Who wouldn't want a back court that big and skilled?

Mave1002
05-18-2017, 04:36 AM
+1

Mave1002
05-18-2017, 04:37 AM
Feck i really hope so man

+1

pacofunk64
05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
All I want right now is for someone to jump up and take Ball from the Lakers. More than anything to shut that big ****ing mouth of Lavar Ball. I'd prefer Philly.

IndyRealist
05-18-2017, 11:28 AM
If they really want to trade for PG, I'd think it'd be Ingram and swapping 2018 picks. If PG goes, Teague stays and Lance is our SG. We'd have no use for Russell.

GREATNESS ONE
05-18-2017, 11:39 AM
If they really want to trade for PG, I'd think it'd be Ingram and swapping 2018 picks. If PG goes, Teague stays and Lance is our SG. We'd have no use for Russell.

Lol no way you're getting Ingram or swapping picks. We'll just wait it out and watch him come via FA.

2 of the 3 (DRuss, Clarkson, Randle) you can have + Deng or Mozgov + Hou pick.

IndyRealist
05-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Lol no way you're getting Ingram or swapping picks. We'll just wait it out and watch him come via FA.

2 of the 3 (DRuss, Clarkson, Randle) you can have + Deng or Mozgov + Hou pick.

See there's a problem with that. If PG finishes next year on the Pacers, there's not way they don't offer him a max which is substantially more than the Lakers can offer without his Bird rights. So you're expecting him to turn down more money on a better team just because it's LA. That's a big dice roll. People lose their jobs over mistakes like that.

GREATNESS ONE
05-18-2017, 12:22 PM
See there's a problem with that. If PG finishes next year on the Pacers, there's not way they don't offer him a max which is substantially more than the Lakers can offer without his Bird rights. So you're expecting him to turn down more money on a better team just because it's LA. That's a big dice roll. People lose their jobs over mistakes like that.

Exactly people lose their jobs on both sides. LakerLand is split on trading for PG some want to make the move and some want to be patient.

I'm not willing to gut my team to make the trade, only Un-touchables would be Ingram #2pick and Zubac.

I would be willing to deal anyone else.

I think Larry stepped down for a reason, PG is out the door, he could make a ton of money in endorsements etc etc being the face of LAL. So I think the sting of not making that extra 30mill or so would be ok if he lands in the LA market.

I really don't think other teams want to trade for him either, feeling he's not going to re-sign with them. Let's face it, PG wants to be a Laker and it probably will happen this off-season. I hope we can get a 3rd team in the mix so it can help out both of our franchises.

hugepatsfan
05-18-2017, 12:28 PM

If PG leaves you guys are rebuilding. I doubt Teague or Lance would be a factor at all.

IndyRealist
05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Exactly people lose their jobs on both sides. LakerLand is split on trading for PG some want to make the move and some want to be patient.

I'm not willing to gut my team to make the trade, only Un-touchables would be Ingram #2pick and Zubac.

I would be willing to deal anyone else.

I think Larry stepped down for a reason, PG is out the door, he could make a ton of money in endorsements etc etc being the face of LAL. So I think the sting of not making that extra 30mill or so would be ok if he lands in the LA market.

I really don't think other teams want to trade for him either, feeling he's not going to re-sign with them. Let's face it, PG wants to be a Laker and it probably will happen this off-season. I hope we can get a 3rd team in the mix so it can help out both of our franchises.

Yeah but people always conveniently ignore which side they backed when the sh** hits the fan. If they don't trade for him and he doesn't come, someone is going to have to fall on their sword. So, if you're the guy making the decisions, would you risk your job that PG is going to give up money, or are you going to trade for him and if Igram turns into a stud you can still say "we got the guy we wanted"?

Big markets always bank on endorsements to bring players in. PG already has, per Forbes

Nike, Gatorade, Papa John's, Fanatics, FanDuel, New Era, Bass Pro Shops and 2K Sports. George is one of Gatorade's three global basketball athletes, alongside Michael Jordan and Dwyane Wade

$30 extra million is not just going to show up.

Mr.B
05-18-2017, 09:16 PM
#9 pick for Russell? Mavs need a PG and if Dennis Smith and Frank are gone you guys think LA would consider giving up Russell for the #9 pick?