PDA

View Full Version : Would the triangle offense be effective today run through Kawhi and Demarcus?

Purch
05-14-2017, 08:43 AM
I was just thinking about the triangle, and how it doesn't necessarily play to a lot of players strengths in today's league. However, I started to wonder how the triangle would do today with two stars who thrive from the kind of looks/situations the triangle creates.

So as a wing I believe Kawhi Leanord's offense is perfectly suited for the isolation and post plays that the triangle runs.

As a big Demarcus definitely has shown the ability to dominated inside, and the triangle would
emphasize his inside game over his outside game.

So my question is, could Phil coach a triangle based team around Kawhi and Demarcus and find great success in today's league?

GoferKing_
05-14-2017, 09:11 AM
We will never know.

da ThRONe
05-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Yes coaching two of the games best would make the triangle look worth while.

Chronz
05-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Yes coaching two of the games best would make the triangle look worth while.

AD and DMC looked awful

FOXHOUND
05-14-2017, 04:00 PM
DeMar DeRozan would love the triangle. Plenty of players would do just fine in it, IMO.

The talk of the triangle is overblown. It's just a system and like any system needs good players who fit it. The problem is the Knicks rosters have been weak and he is enforcing that the triangle be coached by someone in Hornacek who doesn't know the triangle well enough to coach it.

da ThRONe
05-14-2017, 06:02 PM
AD and DMC looked awful

This post is totally off. 1st we don't run the triangle. Next AD and Boogie didn't look awful. Lastly DMC joined us in the middle of the season. Gentry had to adjust his offense on the fly.

Heediot
05-15-2017, 05:20 AM
This post is totally off. 1st we don't run the triangle. Next AD and Boogie didn't look awful. Lastly DMC joined us in the middle of the season. Gentry had to adjust his offense on the fly.

Both guys need to learn how to win in this league. Especially in a league that caters to perimeter players. Cousins should hit his prime next year and davis in a couple of years, so we'll see if these guys are anything more then empty stat padders.

da ThRONe
05-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Both guys need to learn how to win in this league. Especially in a league that caters to perimeter players. Cousins should hit his prime next year and davis in a couple of years, so we'll see if these guys are anything more then empty stat padders.

I agree I think Davis and Cousins are overrated both individually and collectively. I can't put either in my top 10. However they both are extremely talented and as you mention still have room to grow.

Yanks All Day
05-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Here's the thing about the triangle offense: it was made famous by Michael Jordan's Bulls and the Kobe/Shaq Lakers. We have absolutely no way to prove whether it's a great system or it was made to look much better by the all-time great players who were running it.

At the moment, I'm leaning that the players made the system look better than it is. In the modern NBA, I think having Kawhi and DeMarcus will make any team look good, regardless of the system.

Chronz
05-15-2017, 11:22 AM
So its only the triangle that would look "worthwhile" from coaching 2 of the games best?

I've seen players traded mid-season before, few looked as god awful as a team as DMC and AD did. Not buying they didn't look awful, what you basing that on because I saw what had to be one of the historically bad offenses in that stretch. Pretty sure I remember him getting benched a few 4th quarters there, either way, they definitely need more time but its gotta be alil troublesome that the team played so much better without Boogie.

Chronz
05-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Here's the thing about the triangle offense: it was made famous by Michael Jordan's Bulls and the Kobe/Shaq Lakers. We have absolutely no way to prove whether it's a great system or it was made to look much better by the all-time great players who were running it.

At the moment, I'm leaning that the players made the system look better than it is. In the modern NBA, I think having Kawhi and DeMarcus will make any team look good, regardless of the system.

Systems either make your team better or they dont, thats it. They dont win titles for you. The triple post O has won before Michael but Im not so sure it can still be so beneficial today because of how players grow up. A player like Kawhi, who thrives in that area and has studied the games best passers from that area (Pop made him watch alot of Chuck/MJ), its definitely a system that can work for both he and LMA. I think the Spurs should run more of it but maybe Pop knows its not something you can rely on fully anymore. It would render TP less of a threat but moving forward, TP should take a bench role anyways.

da ThRONe
05-15-2017, 01:52 PM
So its only the triangle that would look "worthwhile" from coaching 2 of the games best?

I've seen players traded mid-season before, few looked as god awful as a team as DMC and AD did. Not buying they didn't look awful, what you basing that on because I saw what had to be one of the historically bad offenses in that stretch. Pretty sure I remember him getting benched a few 4th quarters there, either way, they definitely need more time but its gotta be alil troublesome that the team played so much better without Boogie.

That was the 1st week. Did you continue to watch beyond that?

mrblisterdundee
05-15-2017, 06:55 PM
If there was a randomness award, this threat would be a contender.

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2017, 08:46 AM
There are a number of players who could thrive in the triangle. It's not working in NY because they don't have the players for it.

Pippen and Jordan moved well with and without the ball and are great passers/playmakers. That constant motion and passing ability are what you need. Curry and KD and LBJ could all thrive in that system, and could Leonard.

Now, PJax used it for easy baskets at the rim and jump shots, but it could be extended out for 3's instead of Js. That's not a problem.

A prime D-Rose would have likely been able to run that system. But Melo? Never. He doesn't have the playmaking skills required to make that system dangerous. Also... he doesn't move that well without the ball. From what I've seen over the years, it's more about come off a screen to come up to the top of the key and get the ball, then hit the elbow and work some iso. He's looking for his own shot, not creating and looking for the guy who is moving.

George Karl had that problem with Melo too.

I think with defensive schemes stretching to cover the 3-ball, the triangle could get a lot of easy lay ups (we saw Harden get a few in the Spurs series because Pop was having guys stick to the shooters). That clears the lane and would have let guys like Jordan and Pippen attack the basket with no help coming in. Once you bring that guy in to help, you have either a pass-dunk to the post player, or kick it out the the wing play whose man came in (depending on which guy covers).

The triangle can absolutely work. Melo just isn't the guy to do it.

Kerr incorporates elements of it in his offensive sets already, so obviously it still has merit. But he includes Pop's system as well. Best of both worlds.