PDA

View Full Version : How Will the Melo/NYK Saga End?

Wade n Fade
05-13-2017, 11:51 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/12/phil-jackson-carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors

Yesterday, Jackson was at the NBA Draft Combine discussing his desire to move on from Melo. When will the Knicks be able to move on from the Melo era and start fresh? Around the draft, before next season, or before the NBA trade-deadline?

Could we see Phil Jackson do the unthinkable: release Melo just to get rid of him and eat the cap hit, just like SVG did with Josh Smith? I doubt the last one happens because Melo is still worth something on the trade market with contenders needing a piece to make a push for next year's finals.

hugepatsfan
05-13-2017, 11:57 AM
not sure anyone besides the clippers would want him in a trade and they'd have to send back bad contracts.

Heediot
05-13-2017, 12:08 PM
It'd be a god send for the Clippers if he is released outright.

WaDe03
05-13-2017, 12:12 PM
He won't be on the Knicks next year, book it.

Heediot
05-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Hid situation with Lala is keeping things murky. I think he wants to stay around ny to try and win her back.

Rivera
05-13-2017, 12:21 PM
melo gets traded

phil "resigns"

Knick_Fever
05-13-2017, 12:30 PM
I don't think Melo would let Phil push him out of N.Y. and Phil will not release him. Phil would just force Melo to come off the bench, while limiting his minutes and some dnp's. That will be the ticket to Melo waiving the clause, because coming off the bench is scarier to Melo than leaving NY.

Vinylman
05-13-2017, 12:40 PM
no way he gets released...

Phil wants to move on but he literally has all the control because he can just bench Melo and let him rot knowing he will then be forced to opt out the following year or face the same situation again.

I actually hope they don't trade him and just let him rot... it is about time an ownership group takes a hard line on these players by enforcing their rights within the context of the contract...

Melo wants to enforce his NTC.... no problem...

GiantsSwaGG
05-13-2017, 12:45 PM
no way he gets released...

Phil wants to move on but he literally has all the control because he can just bench Melo and let him rot knowing he will then be forced to opt out the following year or face the same situation again.

I actually hope they don't trade him and just let him rot... it is about time an ownership group takes a hard line on these players by enforcing their rights within the context of the contract...

Melo wants to enforce his NTC.... no problem...

I kind of hope that happens as well. These players are sensitive *****es and benching him for the remaining 2 years would teach them

Cracka2HI!
05-13-2017, 02:35 PM
I think he'll be a Clipper. Melo has so little value right now. I can see the trade being J.J. Redick(sign and trade), Wesley Johnson and Paul Pierce's contract.

HeartOfStarks
05-13-2017, 03:38 PM
I think he'll be a Clipper. Melo has so little value right now. I can see the trade being J.J. Redick(sign and trade), Wesley Johnson and Paul Pierce's contract.

And your 2021 & 2023 first round picks. Cmon you know Doc will do it...

Cracka2HI!
05-13-2017, 08:47 PM
And your 2021 & 2023 first round picks. Cmon you know Doc will do it...

I hope not but it sure wouldn't surprise me. I think with what Phil has done to his value he doesn't warrant any picks. I can imagine a scenario where the Knicks demand Austin Rivers be in the deal and Doc says no and includes at least 1 1st Round pick instead. I wouldn't mind seeing Austin added to the deal with Lee and O'Quinn also coming back to the Clippers.

HeartOfStarks
05-13-2017, 08:52 PM
I hope not but it sure wouldn't surprise me. I think with what Phil has done to his value he doesn't warrant any picks. I can imagine a scenario where the Knicks demand Austin Rivers be in the deal and Doc says no and includes at least 1 1st Round pick instead. I wouldn't mind seeing Austin added to the deal with Lee and O'Quinn also coming back to the Clippers.

Doesn't Austin sorta suck? I haven't seen many Clipper games but that seems to be the consensus. Lee isn't gonna be included cmon why would we do that?

lakerfan85
05-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Anything goes cage match.. Loser leaves New York..

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Melo to Clippers. Probably becomes a 3 or 4 team trade.

FlashBolt
05-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Who cares? Melo isn't a 1st/2nd option player anymore. He'll probably be a third option player if you want to win a championship. Knicks are a total mess for years to come. Let's focus on a team that actually cares about winning. NYK and LAL are becoming the Kardashians of basketball. So much drama and no actual care of what really matters.

Cracka2HI!
05-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Doesn't Austin sorta suck? I haven't seen many Clipper games but that seems to be the consensus. Lee isn't gonna be included cmon why would we do that?

According to PSD he sucks. I don't think he does and a few NBA types don't think so. New York was one of the teams supposedly interested in him when he was a FA. You'd be adding a 24 year old player for a 31 year old.

HeartOfStarks
05-14-2017, 08:17 PM
According to PSD he sucks. I don't think he does and a few NBA types don't think so. New York was one of the teams supposedly interested in him when he was a FA. You'd be adding a 24 year old player for a 31 year old.

Ok fine, but Rivers/Wes/either Reddick or Pierce's contract is still not a great package for a guy who despite all his flaws, and there are many, is still one of the best scorers on the planet who's also best buddies with Paul. Reddick doesn't make sense for us as we're basically rebuilding and he's almost as old as Melo and will command pretty big money, and then you basically have Rivers/Wes. I'm not saying it won't happen cause it very well might, but I don't see us just giving you Lee too, who's value is pretty good considering his very reasonable contract. Just doesn't make sense.

Like i said if anything I'm guessing Knicks get at least a future first if not two from the Clippers. You guys just lack tradeable assets that make sense in this deal (perhaps Portland or some other 3rd team will facilitate though).

Cracka2HI!
05-14-2017, 09:46 PM
^ I would agree with you if not for the no trade clause and Phil trashing any value Melo had. It's not a normal scenario. If Melo could still draw his top value The Clippers wouldn't even be in the conversation. I don't think Lee has a lot of value there either. If I'm not mistaken he was benched once this season and isn't really a perfect fit in the triangle. I do agree with you that it isn't good value but I think Phil more of less backed himself into a corner and has to move Melo now. Maybe a 3rd team takes Redick and the Knicks at least get to create some cap space. There was also talk about The Clippers acquiring Lee at the deadline. If it wasn't going to be a straight up deal for Rivers I have no idea what it could have been.

HeartOfStarks
05-14-2017, 10:59 PM
^ I would agree with you if not for the no trade clause and Phil trashing any value Melo had. It's not a normal scenario. If Melo could still draw his top value The Clippers wouldn't even be in the conversation. I don't think Lee has a lot of value there either. If I'm not mistaken he was benched once this season and isn't really a perfect fit in the triangle. I do agree with you that it isn't good value but I think Phil more of less backed himself into a corner and has to move Melo now. Maybe a 3rd team takes Redick and the Knicks at least get to create some cap space. There was also talk about The Clippers acquiring Lee at the deadline. If it wasn't going to be a straight up deal for Rivers I have no idea what it could have been.

The NTC is definitely an issue for us. There's no way around that. I think the Phil "devaluing" Melo is overblown though. I mean Phil didn't reveal anything about Melo that everyone in the NBA doesn't already know. He's a ball dominant player who's difficult to build around due to his poor defense and ball stopping on O. He's flawed, it is what it is. But next to Paul-Blake-DeAndre & maybe Reddick he potentially makes you guys far more dangerous, if it all works of course. But that's the risk/reward.

I don't believe he'll be a Knick next season, and the Clips still seem like the most likely team to trade for him to me, who knows maybe you guys let Reddick walk and add Wade too. Wouldn't be shocked to see that happen. We'll just have to wait and see but from my end I hope the trade happens during the draft.

Dade County
05-14-2017, 11:31 PM
Melo in a non starter role coming off the bench.

Phil & Melo will play hard ball. Melo breaks first, & next off season he wavies his NTC.

More-Than-Most
05-15-2017, 12:36 AM
i dont like melo at all and thought he was overrated for years... that being said he has been so disrespected by the front office its disgusting... Also saying they should bench him would never fly... Players Association would fight the **** out of benching one of the teams best players because he wont accept a trade.

More-Than-Most
05-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Melo in a non starter role coming off the bench.

Phil & Melo will play hard ball. Melo breaks first, & next off season he wavies his NTC.

melo off the bench isnt an option.. it just isnt... Like I said the knicks would cut out their legs for a long *** times even if by some miracle it was allowed because no other free agent would come... the PA would fight it and have a case considering how phil has handled this. Basically they would be sitting him because he refuses to accept a trade and that just wont fly.

Dade County
05-15-2017, 12:53 AM
melo off the bench isnt an option.. it just isnt... Like I said the knicks would cut out their legs for a long *** times even if by some miracle it was allowed because no other free agent would come... the PA would fight it and have a case considering how phil has handled this. Basically they would be sitting him because he refuses to accept a trade and that just wont fly.

How the hell? Lol

What rule is this? Who says a team has to start player?

kobe4thewinbang
05-15-2017, 01:02 AM
You can't just cross your arms and "let him rot" because that is going to piss off Porzingis. Most Knicks fans want Phil Jackson to go away and never come back, and many of those same people want Carmelo gone to just finally be able to move on with KP and a proper rebuild. Even more Knicks fans want James Dolan to sell the team, but that probably won't happen. If Dolan fired Phil, he might get some love from the fans. We'll see.

My prediction:

They trade Carmelo on draft night. I'm reminded of when they traded for Zach Randolph on draft night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/sports/basketball/KNICKS-WEB.html

To make that happen, though, Carmelo has to be on board and the draft ain't that far away.

...So it might be more likely that they wait until the real off-season begins.

If they wait until the trade deadline, they will get diddly squat for Carmelo, as if Phil in his wisdom hasn't killed his trade value enough.

The obvious choices are the Clippers or the Cavaliers. Can't see Carmelo as a Pacer. Maybe the Bulls?

More-Than-Most
05-15-2017, 01:05 AM
How the hell? Lol

What rule is this? Who says a team has to start player?

The PA already has issues with how phil is dealing with Melo... The knicks gave him the no trade clause... They can bench him but I full expect the PA to step in because he would be benched for not waving his no trade clause which is a ****** thing for a franchise to do when they gave send player said no trade clause.

kobe4thewinbang
05-15-2017, 01:07 AM
Who cares? Melo isn't a 1st/2nd option player anymore. He'll probably be a third option player if you want to win a championship. Knicks are a total mess for years to come. Let's focus on a team that actually cares about winning. NYK and LAL are becoming the Kardashians of basketball. So much drama and no actual care of what really matters.Da fuq youse just say?

kobe4thewinbang
05-15-2017, 01:08 AM
The PA already has issues with how phil is dealing with Melo... The knicks gave him the no trade clause... They can bench him but I full expect the PA to step in because he would be benched for not waving his no trade clause which is a ****** thing for a franchise to do when they gave send player said no trade clause.Plus you gonna see an empty Chase MSG with Melo on the bench. Dolan would not approve.

More-Than-Most
05-15-2017, 01:33 AM
Plus you gonna see an empty Chase MSG with Melo on the bench. Dolan would not approve.

Now Imagine if they start losing or struggeling how the fans react... On top of no player ever wanting to come there and the media destroying them... They would be turning melo into a hero of the people if phil hasnt already... There is just no way in hell they bench him or have the balls to bring him off the bench in any way shape or form... You play him or trade him.... insinuating him coming off the bench is ludicrous because he hasnt regressed enough to come off the bench... He is still a top 40 player or so.

Dade County
05-15-2017, 01:47 AM
The PA already has issues with how phil is dealing with Melo... The knicks gave him the no trade clause... They can bench him but I full expect the PA to step in because he would be benched for not waving his no trade clause which is a ****** thing for a franchise to do when they gave send player said no trade clause.

Ok... If you are looking at it in that way; he is geting benched to froce him to waive his NTC, i can see your point about the PA. But they would just try to get Melo the hell out of there.

But i was looking at it like the Knicks are focusing on their future, so they would have those players playing along side Kp. No point in playing Melo.

But i see your point.

Heediot
05-15-2017, 06:05 AM

He has improved, but with the long leash his father has given him, it should be expected. Doc's bias for him is clear, he is the only young prospect the Clips have had recently that has been consistently allowed to play through mistakes and pa is always looking for ways to tinker lineups to fit him in to give him minutes. He needs to be traded so Doc can be more objective. Doc can't have personal interest over the betterment of the organization.

Heediot
05-15-2017, 06:07 AM
Melo & Lee to the Knicks for Reddick S & T and Rivers. Not too sure how much interest PJax would have in JJ, he has to strike out on more appealing targets first for Jackson to consider this route. Clips will find a way to trade Crawful at the deadline when his team option for next year is more attractive.

Triple_Ocho
05-15-2017, 06:34 AM
Melo isn't going anywhere... it ends when his contract ends lol.

mike_noodles
05-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Jackson gonna take it up the rear in a trade. What a terrible exec he is. Zen master, loool

mike_noodles
05-15-2017, 07:00 AM
Melo & Lee to the Knicks for Reddick S & T and Rivers. Not too sure how much interest PJax would have in JJ, he has to strike out on more appealing targets first for Jackson to consider this route. Clips will find a way to trade Crawful at the deadline when his team option for next year is more attractive.

Can't do that trade. It's against the rules.

FOXHOUND
05-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Knicks are going to get shafted on trade value for Melo, but he will be gone none the less. It is what it is. If Redick is involved in anything but a multi-team trade then Phil should be fired immediately.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
You can't just cross your arms and "let him rot" because that is going to piss off Porzingis. Most Knicks fans want Phil Jackson to go away and never come back, and many of those same people want Carmelo gone to just finally be able to move on with KP and a proper rebuild. Even more Knicks fans want James Dolan to sell the team, but that probably won't happen. If Dolan fired Phil, he might get some love from the fans. We'll see.

My prediction:

They trade Carmelo on draft night. I'm reminded of when they traded for Zach Randolph on draft night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/sports/basketball/KNICKS-WEB.html

To make that happen, though, Carmelo has to be on board and the draft ain't that far away.

...So it might be more likely that they wait until the real off-season begins.

If they wait until the trade deadline, they will get diddly squat for Carmelo, as if Phil in his wisdom hasn't killed his trade value enough.

The obvious choices are the Clippers or the Cavaliers. Can't see Carmelo as a Pacer. Maybe the Bulls?

Oh yea the Dan Dickau trade.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2017, 10:48 AM
I think the Knicks should try and trade him for Danilo Gallinari.

JOSKOMANG4
05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
3 way trade:

- blake griffin(via s&t) to kings.

- melo & swap 1st rd pick w/kings(pelicans 1st) to clippers

- wesley johnson & kings 1st rd pick(lesser value w/sixers) to knicks.

JOSKOMANG4
05-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Also. only if Melo agrees to sign off on the trade.

- Melo to Blazers for SF M.Harkess, SG E.Turner, & 2-1st rd picks(V/Grizzles & v/Cavs).

Blazers Lineup: Nurkic/Leonard/Melo/McCollum/Lillard

Knicks Lineup: Noah/Porzingis/Harkless/Lee/D.Smith(8th overall pick)

Bench: Turner(6th man), Hernangomez, Giles(Grizzles Pick), J.Evans(Cavs pick)

Chronz
05-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Because its the only semblance of "young talent" that we have and maybe on a bad team like NY, he will get to play abit better or play himself out of the league.

As for your Q, Cracka likes him and thinks the talk of his suckiness is over blown. Hes useful in a pinch, if you consider that hes sometimes an adequate on ball defender and a 37% 3pt shooter, you'd think hes a decent 3-d role player, at least to have off the bench. And to his credit, I do think its to his detriment that he plays so much alongside Crawford since neither is a true SF and neither can play the 1 even in today's simplistic league.

But then you remember he has a low basketball IQ, is a streaky shooter who commands little respect on the perimeter. The kind of guy who thrives the worse he makes his teammates. Like I know all role players play better in the starting lineup but for him, its also cuz he hogs the ball much more.

Thats just the eye test, statistically he ranks well below average by every single barometer. ESPN's RPM ranks him 48th among PGs but hes not a PG, his SG rankings would be 57th best. With the only true rotational guys below him being Jamal Crawford(lol), Afflalo, Rush, Bojan, Korver and the likes of other rookies who are suppose to suck.

His WS tally ranks 194th in the entire league which isn't too bad, except its a result of him playing FAR more than players with his middling production should play, per48 he ranks 313.

Even his relatively high usage doesn't endear him to PER, where he ranks 50th vs PG's and 55th vs SG's.

All that said, the kid has heart to go with that ego and hes getting better. He may eventually become a league average contributor.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind if it ended with them both gone.

Although that doesn't seem likely, lol.

HeartOfStarks
05-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Because its the only semblance of "young talent" that we have and maybe on a bad team like NY, he will get to play abit better or play himself out of the league.

As for your Q, Cracka likes him and thinks the talk of his suckiness is over blown. Hes useful in a pinch, if you consider that hes sometimes an adequate on ball defender and a 37% 3pt shooter, you'd think hes a decent 3-d role player, at least to have off the bench. And to his credit, I do think its to his detriment that he plays so much alongside Crawford since neither is a true SF and neither can play the 1 even in today's simplistic league.

But then you remember he has a low basketball IQ, is a streaky shooter who commands little respect on the perimeter. The kind of guy who thrives the worse he makes his teammates. Like I know all role players play better in the starting lineup but for him, its also cuz he hogs the ball much more.

Thats just the eye test, statistically he ranks well below average by every single barometer. ESPN's RPM ranks him 48th among PGs but hes not a PG, his SG rankings would be 57th best. With the only true rotational guys below him being Jamal Crawford(lol), Afflalo, Rush, Bojan, Korver and the likes of other rookies who are suppose to suck.

His WS tally ranks 194th in the entire league which isn't too bad, except its a result of him playing FAR more than players with his middling production should play, per48 he ranks 313.

Even his relatively high usage doesn't endear him to PER, where he ranks 50th vs PG's and 55th vs SG's.

All that said, the kid has heart to go with that ego and hes getting better. He may eventually become a league average contributor.

Thanks for the breakdown. This is closer to my impression of him.

Basically as a Knicks fan I don't want Reddick, he's a nice player but at his age and our situation he makes almost no sense for us. The Knicks really need to get a first round pick or two for Melo (and to be clear I'm talking about the 15-25 range in terms of picks). Even if we got just one pick but it's like the 14/15th I'd pull the trigger and not look back. But that's the kind of deal we need to be thinking about IMO.

HeartOfStarks
05-15-2017, 01:14 PM
Plus you gonna see an empty Chase MSG with Melo on the bench. Dolan would not approve.

If you think MSG will ever be empty you simply don't understand how MSG or NY in general works. Most of the people at Knicks games aren't even real fans. They're tourists and corporate seats. The real fans are just the awesomely loud ones.

Cracka2HI!
05-15-2017, 10:29 PM
The NTC is definitely an issue for us. There's no way around that. I think the Phil "devaluing" Melo is overblown though. I mean Phil didn't reveal anything about Melo that everyone in the NBA doesn't already know. He's a ball dominant player who's difficult to build around due to his poor defense and ball stopping on O. He's flawed, it is what it is. But next to Paul-Blake-DeAndre & maybe Reddick he potentially makes you guys far more dangerous, if it all works of course. But that's the risk/reward.

I don't believe he'll be a Knick next season, and the Clips still seem like the most likely team to trade for him to me, who knows maybe you guys let Reddick walk and add Wade too. Wouldn't be shocked to see that happen. We'll just have to wait and see but from my end I hope the trade happens during the draft.

Good post. I don't think Phil has devalued Melo the player, he's just driven down his trade value by stating publicly that he wants him to leave. It was a catch 22 for him because he couldn't persuade Melo to waive his NTC without crushing his trade value. It's been tough to think about The Clippers with any kind of excitement lately but I would be pretty stoked if they got Melo for any of the non-Griffin packages being kicked around here. I fully understand how much of a steal this would be. I still think he's got a lot of game left on the offensive end and that's exactly what The Clippers have always needed. They need an iso guy to close out games, like freaking Iso Joe just did to them. Melo can still be one of the best in the right situation. I don't know if The Clippers would be that situation but it would be fun to watch.

Cracka2HI!
05-15-2017, 10:53 PM
He has improved, but with the long leash his father has given him, it should be expected. Doc's bias for him is clear, he is the only young prospect the Clips have had recently that has been consistently allowed to play through mistakes and pa is always looking for ways to tinker lineups to fit him in to give him minutes. He needs to be traded so Doc can be more objective. Doc can't have personal interest over the betterment of the organization.

I also think Austin is this type of player. I've always argued against the fact that he isn't the worst player in the league. The PSD consensus was that he was literally the worst player in the league. Maybe in the history of the league. Many still hold that feeling. I had a few long debates about this same topic in a couple FB groups I'm in. I've been schooled enough in how ****** his stats are that I don't waive the flag for him as much as I used to. I've always thought the nepotism thing is way overblown but I'm no longer willing to defend Doc Rivers. If you think he favors his son there is certainly an overwhelming amount of evidence to support it. At some point you can't continue to argue certain things you believe(d) if you are also an objective person.

There are some reasons I think the stats lie a bit with Austin. He also has a few skills that The Clippers always seem to lack. He has the ability to attack the rim. I'm not saying he's Westbrook or anything but there were plenty of games this season where he was the only Clipper who could get to the rim. I miss guys like Bledsoe and Collison who can seemingly attack the rim all game. I think guys like that often times have less efficient stats. It seems like teams should multiple guys that can attack. The Clippers rarely even have 1. Right now, Austin is their most willing. That includes Blake and CP3 most games. Chronz brought up the heart and ego that Austin has. It's lacking in The Clippers. Even in Paul and Griffin. Those guys don't seem to want to spotlight. There are so many games where they play hot potato in the 4th quarter. That's why they need Melo.

Chronz is right, Austin is a very flawed player and does not make others around him better. There are also games where he is the most confident player on the team and actually does take over. Guys like Mbah a Moute and even DJ and Redick could never do that despite being superior statistically. Austin does a lot of Melo would do for The Clippers which is exactly why we need Melo instead of Austin.

KnicksorBust
05-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Yeah I don't want Austin or Reddick. I honestly feel like the Clippers are the worst trade partner for the Knicks. I want expiring contracts and a 1st round pick. The Clippers don't have expirings and their 1st round picks are terrible.

Boston is by far the best trade partner. In a bizarre win-win, if the Celtics play great against LeBron then as a basketball fan I get an exciting ECF. IF Cavs crush them maybe the Celtics would change their tune about trading for Melo.

Dade County
05-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Also. only if Melo agrees to sign off on the trade.

- Melo to Blazers for SF M.Harkess, SG E.Turner, & 2-1st rd picks(V/Grizzles & v/Cavs).

Blazers Lineup: Nurkic/Leonard/Melo/McCollum/Lillard

Knicks Lineup: Noah/Porzingis/Harkless/Lee/D.Smith(8th overall pick)

Bench: Turner(6th man), Hernangomez, Giles(Grizzles Pick), J.Evans(Cavs pick)

I like Melo in that Denver line-up, but they would need a player like Tony Allen in the starting unit.

FOXHOUND
05-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Yeah I don't want Austin or Reddick. I honestly feel like the Clippers are the worst trade partner for the Knicks. I want expiring contracts and a 1st round pick. The Clippers don't have expirings and their 1st round picks are terrible.

Boston is by far the best trade partner. In a bizarre win-win, if the Celtics play great against LeBron then as a basketball fan I get an exciting ECF. IF Cavs crush them maybe the Celtics would change their tune about trading for Melo.

One thing I like about Austin is the potential to flip him later. He has done well at times when starting for the Clippers, even in the playoffs. He's plenty young, turns 25 in August, and it's definitely possible for him to take another improvement. On the Knicks next year, you throw him in that Derrick Rose role, and it's definitely possible for him to put up 17 PPG or so until the deadline. Then you trade him for a 1st to a playoff team looking to add scoring who then have his Bird's Rights to resign him after next year lol.

But yeah, in terms of actual value, there are no ideal trade partners in this scenario. Even Boston, the Knicks don't have the leverage to demand anything substantial so don't expect them to offer anything substantial.

cheetos185
05-16-2017, 07:18 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/05/12/phil-jackson-carmelo-anthony-trade-rumors

Yesterday, Jackson was at the NBA Draft Combine discussing his desire to move on from Melo. When will the Knicks be able to move on from the Melo era and start fresh? Around the draft, before next season, or before the NBA trade-deadline?

Could we see Phil Jackson do the unthinkable: release Melo just to get rid of him and eat the cap hit, just like SVG did with Josh Smith? I doubt the last one happens because Melo is still worth something on the trade market with contenders needing a piece to make a push for next year's finals.
How will it end phil jackson will slip on a banana skin landing on melos knees forcing them both into permanent retirement win win for knicks haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

KnicksorBust
05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
One thing I like about Austin is the potential to flip him later. He has done well at times when starting for the Clippers, even in the playoffs. He's plenty young, turns 25 in August, and it's definitely possible for him to take another improvement. On the Knicks next year, you throw him in that Derrick Rose role, and it's definitely possible for him to put up 17 PPG or so until the deadline. Then you trade him for a 1st to a playoff team looking to add scoring who then have his Bird's Rights to resign him after next year lol.

But yeah, in terms of actual value, there are no ideal trade partners in this scenario. Even Boston, the Knicks don't have the leverage to demand anything substantial so don't expect them to offer anything substantial.

I don't need anything substantial just short terms deals and a pick:

Knicks send: Carmelo Anthony
Boston sends: Crowder / Amir / Jerebko / Brooklyn 2018 Pick

If they let us clean our books of Noah I wouldn't even ask for the pick.

Knicks send: Melo / Noah
Boston sends: Crowder / Amir / Jerebko / Zeller / Young / Mickey

hugepatsfan
05-17-2017, 12:01 PM

There's absolutely no shot whatsoever BOS offers BRK pick, even 2018 for Melo. He wouldn't even offer Crowder IMO. If we strike out in FA and you guys salary dump him for our 2018 1st then maybe it's worth a flier.

Melo is a high volume, low percentage shooter that stops the ball. Not a fit in our team offense at all and not a good enough player anymore to justify the shift from the scheme.

FOXHOUND
05-17-2017, 03:13 PM

I'm afraid that Crowder and the 2018 BK pick fall under substantial assets. :(

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Clippers don't have anything exciting for a Melo trade. But then again Melo hasn't aged well. Probably gonna end up like the trade deadline rumor to the Clippers for Rivers and a third team eating Crawford. Even though new rumors of a sign and trade of Redick. But he's like 32.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-17-2017, 05:15 PM

Just a heads up Amir and Jerebko contracts both expired.