PDA

View Full Version : Snake playoffs

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2017, 08:10 PM
The Ringer had an idea to make the inevitability of a Cavaliers-Warriors finals rematch more interesting by instituting a snake draft of one player from the losing team in each series (https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-cleveland-cavaliers-golden-state-warriors-playoff-snake-fix-eb3616f6558).
Basically, winning team from each series gets to replace one of its players with any one player from the loser's squad. By now, Utah could have added any one player from Los Angeles; Golden State from Portland and Utah, if they still beat them; Houston from Oklahoma City; San Antonio from Memphis; Boston from Chicago; Washington from Atlanta; Toronto from Milwaukee; and Cleveland from Indiana and Toronto, if they still beat them.
Basing this hypothetical on winners from the first round, how would you see the playoffs playing out with such an arrangement? Which player from each loser do you take in the first round? If Cleveland and Golden State still make the Finals, what are their rosters?

lol, please
05-10-2017, 10:50 PM
I think it's a cool discussion, but just lol @ ever wanting or considering this outside of fun hypotheticals in a forum.

Yea, let me get a jersey of my favorite player only for him to go to the Rockets after round 1. Great way to build a fanbase which directly affects revenue, let's throw tons of sponsorship and ad budget away on media with a star player who would have gone through two other teams in less than a month.

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2017, 11:16 PM
I think Golden State and Cleveland still make the finals by force of will. If all goes to my plan, this is what you'd get to see in the finals:

Golden State:
PG: Curry
SG: Thompson, McCollum
SF: Leonard, Iguodala
PF: Durant
C: Green, Gobert

Cleveland:
PG: Irving
SG: Butler
SF: Giannis
PF: George, Love
C: James, Thompson

Scoots
05-10-2017, 11:29 PM
I think Golden State and Cleveland still make the finals by force of will. If all goes to my plan, this is what you'd get to see in the finals:

Golden State:
PG: Curry
SG: Thompson, McCollum
SF: Leonard, Iguodala
PF: Durant
C: Green, Gobert

Cleveland:
PG: Irving
SG: Butler
SF: Giannis
PF: George, Love
C: James, Thompson

I'd still pick the Warriors but that would be brutal ... of course playoff practice would suddenly matter a LOT more.

dhopisthename
05-11-2017, 12:33 AM
this sounds cool, but it would only work in NBA2k games. players would have zero practice together and it would look pretty bad. Jazz getting cp3 though would have made that series more interesting then it was.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2017, 05:01 PM
The Ringer had an idea to make the inevitability of a Cavaliers-Warriors finals rematch more interesting by instituting a snake draft of one player from the losing team in each series (https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-cleveland-cavaliers-golden-state-warriors-playoff-snake-fix-eb3616f6558).
Basically, winning team from each series gets to replace one of its players with any one player from the loser's squad. By now, Utah could have added any one player from Los Angeles; Golden State from Portland and Utah, if they still beat them; Houston from Oklahoma City; San Antonio from Memphis; Boston from Chicago; Washington from Atlanta; Toronto from Milwaukee; and Cleveland from Indiana and Toronto, if they still beat them.
Basing this hypothetical on winners from the first round, how would you see the playoffs playing out with such an arrangement? Which player from each loser do you take in the first round? If Cleveland and Golden State still make the Finals, what are their rosters?

That would still make the Warriors overwhelming favorite. Can you imagine adding Gobert? And Lillard? And Leonard? Who do the Cavs get? The Cavs just get Paul George. I mean... who on the Celtics would they even want?

Unless its the Wiz they play, and they can get Beal or Wall.

But adding Paul George (who plays the same position as James), DeRozen, and Wall would not be as helpful as adding Lillard, Gobert, and Leonard.

Heediot
05-13-2017, 06:35 PM
I would take Horford instead of one of the wings. LeBron makes one of Giannis/Butler/George redundant and not needed. Horford adds size and big man defense. Both teams have scoring, it's all about finding the glue, energy and role players that will make the subtle difference.

PG Kyrie - D. Williams
SG George- Edit: Shumpert over JR (Shump's D can help ofset some of the weak perimeter D on the bench)
SF Giannis - Korver
PF LeBron - Love
C Horford - Thompson

I think they could challenge the Warriors.I would pick them for the supposed upset because they have the best player on the floor and crazy *** perimeter defenders to bother GS.