PDA

View Full Version : What happens to Lowry and Ibaka?

mrblisterdundee
05-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Let's continue this series on what happens to the stars of recently eliminated playoff teams. After flaming out in the second round, the Raptors might lose Lowry and Ibaka in the offseason.
What do you think happens with the two stars? And what about Patterson, who has been a fairly important cog.

FlashBolt
05-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Both are role players. Yes; including Lowry. He's getting to a point where he's 32 soon and he collapses in the playoffs/constantly gets injured. Dude will never get better than he was these past two years so it's safe to say what I'm saying.

j-bay
05-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Lowry is to the Raptors as Phil Kessel was to the Leafs. Lowry is overrated. The quicker the Raptors get rid of him and find a real PG, the better they will be.

kobe4thewinbang
05-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Ibaka: Try to re-sign, but as we've seen, the new contracts are ridiculous so it might be asking too much.
Lowry: Either let him go entirely, or work out a S&T deal with his new team.

Raptors should not re-sign Lowry unless it is a substantial pay cut, which again given the new market rules, might be too much for a short dude made of glass come playoff time--seriously, he just got hurt before playoffs, and then he gets hurt again?--and it's always possible some new team goes nuts for him. Look at the Blazers signing Ezeli, who never played this season due to injury. Glad the Lakers avoided him and now the Blazers are trying to deal him.

How much do the Raptors have available?

Most importantly, with dudes like Jrue Holiday and Chris Paul on the market, you gotta look in focus at the depth of field, and not focus on Lowry.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Lowry is to the Raptors as Phil Kessel was to the Leafs. Lowry is overrated. The quicker the Raptors get rid of him and find a real PG, the better they will be.

Woah I don't think anyone here will get that reference lol.

We need a Matthews.

Dade County
05-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Let Lowry walk, trade JV & re-sign ibaka.

Try to target 3 to 4 shooters in free agency or some through the JV trade.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Masai said he wants to bring back Lowry.

He's still an elite regular season pg. I hate saying it like that but the numbers don't lie.

Ibaka, I'm not sure. He was kind of disappointing but he's still a good player. He fits the role of a modern big.

FlashBolt
05-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Masai said he wants to bring back Lowry.

He's still an elite regular season pg. I hate saying it like that but the numbers don't lie.

Ibaka, I'm not sure. He was kind of disappointing but he's still a good player. He fits the role of a modern big.

If your goal is to lose in the playoffs, sign Lowry. He's 31. Never getting better.

kobe4thewinbang
05-09-2017, 08:48 PM
If your goal is to lose in the playoffs, sign Lowry. He's 31. Never getting better.And he also gets hurt in the regular season. His age really is against him here. Plus he's undersized and you just don't give a 31 year old a multi-year big money contract when he's been injury prone.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 08:49 PM
If your goal is to lose in the playoffs, sign Lowry. He's 31. Never getting better.

Well ideally you want him to sustain what he did this yr. Of course sustain it in the playoffs as well.

Age is the biggest concern and i think if Masai moves on, it will be for that reason.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 08:50 PM
And he also gets hurt in the regular season. His age really is against him here. Plus he's undersized and you just don't give a 31 year old a multi-year big money contract when he's been injury prone.

All things to consider for sure.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 08:54 PM
There are reports that the Spurs are interested in Lowry. I would love to see him win a ring.

What you think kdspurman?

Vee-Rex
05-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Masai throwing out hints left and right. Looks like he'll try to keep Lowry but I'm not sure if Lowry will want to stay. He said his main concern is a ring.

I'm not sure if Ibaka will be retained. Probably depends on what happens with Lowry.

Also sounds like Masai wants a different offensive system. Means Casey is either gonna get fired (have a hard time seeing Masai fire Casey though) or will be required to bring in an assistant to handle the offense.

FlashBolt
05-09-2017, 11:22 PM
There are reports that the Spurs are interested in Lowry. I would love to see him win a ring.

What you think kdspurman?

They're going to get CP3 before they ever try Lowry. With how the Warriors are panning out, CP3 might go to the Spurs.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Masai throwing out hints left and right. Looks like he'll try to keep Lowry but I'm not sure if Lowry will want to stay. He said his main concern is a ring.

I'm not sure if Ibaka will be retained. Probably depends on what happens with Lowry.

Also sounds like Masai wants a different offensive system. Means Casey is either gonna get fired (have a hard time seeing Masai fire Casey though) or will be required to bring in an assistant to handle the offense.

Raptors have tried to bring in an assistant for offense and it didn't really work in regards to a change in system.

Masai admitted that he was skeptical of the way the Raps played going into this season and was perplexed by why the Raptors were not able to elevate their game in the playoffs like the Cavs did.

He's asking all the right questions right now and hopefully he can find the answers. This team has been playing a dated system for yrs and I really feel it's a big reason why they struggle in the playoffs.

aman_13
05-09-2017, 11:29 PM
They're going to get CP3 before they ever try Lowry. With how the Warriors are panning out, CP3 might go to the Spurs.

Yeah I see it that way as well. Paul is a perfect fit.

lol, please
05-10-2017, 12:14 AM
Let's continue this series on what happens to the stars of recently eliminated playoff teams. After flaming out in the second round, the Raptors might lose Lowry and Ibaka in the offseason.
What do you think happens with the two stars? And what about Patterson, who has been a fairly important cog.

Hopefully they both stay at Toronto, though I could definitely see Lowry going elsewhere.

lol, please
05-10-2017, 12:17 AM
So tired of aman_13's narrative that you can only win one way on the NBA and everything else is outdated.

aman_13
05-10-2017, 12:25 AM
So tired of aman_13's narrative that you can only win one way on the NBA and everything else is outdated.

No you can win in different ways. I didn't mean it that way. The way the Raps play, you can't. Masai said it himself.

One Nut Kruk
05-10-2017, 01:13 AM
Woah I don't think anyone here will get that reference lol.

We need a Matthews.

I do. And if Lowry is Kessel, I guess that means he'll go somewhere else and play a big role in winning a ring.

Vee-Rex
05-10-2017, 01:46 AM

He's right regarding the Raptors offense. It's outdated.

Btw I wonder what happened to that Miltstar guy. Hope he's doing alright. Bet that was a rough series for him. :D

Saddletramp
05-10-2017, 02:40 AM
He's right regarding the Raptors offense. It's outdated.

Btw I wonder what happened to that Miltstar guy. Hope he's doing alright. Bet that was a rough series for him. :D

Was thinking the same thing. He disappeared quick. So did the Giannis guy.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-10-2017, 09:18 AM
I'm gonna take a wild guess Lowry ends back up with Houston. Third time is a charm they say. Not sure if they have enough money to sign him. But I'm sure they could shed a player or two if he wanted to go back there.

Sly Guy
05-10-2017, 09:40 AM
the 14-7 mark with lowry out is kinda telling. He's a good player, but as it's been said, he's on the wrong side of 30 and oft-injured. The last contract he signed was below market value, I don't think he does the same again this time. Gotta let him walk, better for the overall finances of the raptors considering the cap situation and the fact we aren't getting past lebron anytime soon.

TheDish87
05-10-2017, 10:04 AM
And he also gets hurt in the regular season. His age really is against him here. Plus he's undersized and you just don't give a 31 year old a multi-year big money contract when he's been injury prone.

what is your obsession with Lowrys height? he is 6'1 and at the PG position thats not undersized. its weird you keep bringing it up like its a knock. For example Paul is 6'0 and we all know IT is tiny.

Hawkeye15
05-10-2017, 10:23 AM
someone will overpay for Ibaka. I would guess Lowry stays for the max.

FlashBolt
05-10-2017, 11:13 AM
Toronto's GM said they need to change the culture. You can bet that means Lowry's gone. He was their culture.

Heediot
05-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Keep them both, and hope you can draft a stud like Giannis/KL/Jokic/Marc Gasol/Draymond/Manu later in the draft. Easier said vs. done. Retain as much assets as you can and make the tougher decisions down the road. Team is already cap strapped anyways.

aman_13
05-10-2017, 12:04 PM
I do. And if Lowry is Kessel, I guess that means he'll go somewhere else and play a big role in winning a ring.

There are reports that he's interested in going to Philly.

I doubt that happens though.

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Paul isn't going to the Spurs. It sounds great, and Paul would be a perfect fit there, but it comes down to money. I think Paul's taking that super-max money and staying in Los Angeles. Lowry is the next-best target at point guard, unless you think Holiday would be less of a risk.

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2017, 04:16 PM
what is your obsession with Lowrys height? he is 6'1 and at the PG position thats not undersized. its weird you keep bringing it up like its a knock. For example Paul is 6'0 and we all know IT is tiny.

It is weird, considering Lowry and Paul are two of the better defenders at their position.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-10-2017, 05:16 PM
There are reports that he's interested in going to Philly.

I doubt that happens though.

I read that as well. Isn't Lowry eligible for like $35M or $40M for the first year of new contract? That's if a team is crazy enough to give him his new CBA super max. He's not worth it. But 76ers have the cap. They may wanna speed up the rebuild process.

Wade n Fade
05-10-2017, 05:43 PM
I think both stay in Toronto, especially when bird rights/max deals come into play. Toronto can win a ring, it just depends on how they manage their young players and somewhat eh contract role players, such as Carroll. If Toronto could work on a deal to send Carroll to Atlanta to recoup assets, I suggest doing that. Remember, it just takes an injury to a Love or Irving to derail a Cavs run. I also believe that LeBron could easily bolt Cleveland at some point if things turn really sour.

Wade n Fade
05-10-2017, 05:46 PM
I read that as well. Isn't Lowry eligible for like $35M or $40M for the first year of new contract? That's if a team is crazy enough to give him his new CBA super max. He's not worth it. But 76ers have the cap. They may wanna speed up the rebuild process.

If the 6ers end up with the #1 pick, they have to go Fultz and be very patient with the process. Giving Lowry the max is a horrible decision. I feel like Toronto is different because they haven't retained many superstars or star players, so they need to overpay Lowry to retain their core. If the Raptors fire Casey, get a competent coach in, and maintain their core, I think there is an extra gear for the Raptors because there is a disparity between regular season Lowry/Derozan vs the playoff versions. Jekyll and Hyding things, under Casey, will not result in a title.

MJNetsIsles
05-10-2017, 06:52 PM
I have hopes of Ibaka coming to Brooklyn. As far as Lowry goes, he can come over too.

Tg11
05-13-2017, 07:00 PM
If Lowry wants to go to a contender he even said himself he wants to play in the West so Lowry could end up playing for San Antonio or he could go to the Clippers