PDA

View Full Version : Coach of The Year

Dade County
05-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Congrats!

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/07/inaugural-michael-goldberg-nbca-coach-year-award-mike-dantoni-erik-spoelstra

Houston Rockets Head Coach Mike D’Antoni and Miami Heat Head Coach Erik Spoelstra are the co-recipients of the inaugural Michael H. Goldberg NBCA Coach of the Year Award, the National Basketball Coaches Association announced today.

This "co-recipients" might foreshadow the MVP winner(s) also.

tredigs
05-08-2017, 12:19 PM
I think this is the one the coaches vote on, which is new to this season, and different from the "Coach of the Year" that will be announced at the Drake awards on TNT weeks after the Finals that nobody will watch.

Dade County
05-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Lol oh ok

Kyben36
05-08-2017, 03:25 PM
i am unsure i agree with either of those. lol. I was gonna say fred hoiberg as a joke. but year, seriously, im unsure how mike dantoni gets the award at all. and while spolstra is a solid coach, his team didnt even make the playoffs, i know they lacked some tallent, but still.

Quinnsanity
05-08-2017, 03:32 PM
I would've voted for Quin Snyder, but D'Antoni and Spo both had good seasons. I just don't like the COY love Spo gets when his team was only good for half of the year. It's Coach of the YEAR, not Coach of the X Games.

TheDish87
05-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Mike D is fully deserving of the actual COY award. Cant argue with Snyder either.

tredigs
05-08-2017, 04:23 PM
I will say I trust this vote a ton more than the one the media votes on. Coaching is something that is very hard to evaluate from the outside except for seeing rotations, how they perform out of timeouts, etc. But other coaches know the inner dynamics and behind the scenes of these guys much more so than us. So it is cool that they have this award now.

JAZZNC
05-08-2017, 06:35 PM
I think Quinn Snyder did a masterful job given what he had to deal with injury wise.

FlashBolt
05-08-2017, 06:37 PM
COTY when you don't make the playoffs. has that ever been a thing?

mngopher35
05-08-2017, 06:41 PM
I like Dantoni for it, second for me probably would have been Snyder not Spo.

rhino17
05-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Erik Spoelstra has absolutely no business being in this conversation. I think he is one of the better coaches in the league, but his team didn't even make the playoffs in the EAST. Absolutely ridiculous

KnicksorBust
05-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Personally I would love to see Lebron and Pop win their respective awards. Stop being clever and give it to the actual best in the game.

Wade n Fade
05-08-2017, 11:17 PM
Spo is my lone COTY choice. Took a team with very little on it (11-30) and made them a .500 team by year end (41-41) despite various injuries.

Quinnsanity
05-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Personally I would love to see Lebron and Pop win their respective awards. Stop being clever and give it to the actual best in the game.

A general question about Pop, how much credit do we give him in a yearly award for the institutional structure he's built over the past two decades? I wrestle with that, because I know Pop is the BEST coach, but I like to think of the award on a per-year basis. Who did the most with the least, that sort of thing. Who did the coaching job from a specific season that I'll remember most? I go back and forth on it honestly. Sometimes I do think Pop should just get it every year.

Quinnsanity
05-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Spo is my lone COTY choice. Took a team with very little on it (11-30) and made them a .500 team by year end (41-41) despite various injuries.

I think that the Miami roster was really undersold by a lot of fans trying to push the Spo case. I mean ultimately, didn't Miami basically end up where we expected? Near the playoffs but not in the playoffs? Their Vegas over/under was 36.5. Getting to 41 isn't a big leap from there. I know there were injuries, but nothing like losing your best player on opening night (I don't think any of us ever expected Bosh to play). It was a cool run, and I give him credit for it, but I don't think you can win COTY for half of a season's work. I felt the same way about Kerr last year.

TheDish87
05-09-2017, 08:47 AM

so? if you are gonna give him credit for the finish you damn well better knock him for the start.

IndyRealist
05-09-2017, 09:31 AM
so? if you are gonna give him credit for the finish you damn well better knock him for the start.

He had to adjust both the offense and defense that was predicated on having Bosh. I'd say he did a fine job considering the circumstances.

You know, for people who rail about context, PSDers certainly find it convenient to ignore.

TheDish87
05-09-2017, 09:46 AM
oh please everyone knew Bosh wasnt playing this season, it wasnt a secret nor a shock.

IndyRealist
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
oh please everyone knew Bosh wasnt playing this season, it wasnt a secret nor a shock.

Bosh was going to play until he failed the final physical iirc.

Wade n Fade
05-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Knock him for the start? Can't do that because he literally had an overhauled roster and various injuries. It took awhile for Waiters and James Johnson to find their grooves. Many teams just pack it up after various losing streaks and injuries. That's why Jason Kidd should be a finalist with the Bucks since they made the playoffs. Scott Brooks took a down and out Wizards team and made the playoffs too, thus he is another candidate.

Green_Monster
05-09-2017, 10:10 AM
A general question about Pop, how much credit do we give him in a yearly award for the institutional structure he's built over the past two decades? I wrestle with that, because I know Pop is the BEST coach, but I like to think of the award on a per-year basis. Who did the most with the least, that sort of thing. Who did the coaching job from a specific season that I'll remember most? I go back and forth on it honestly. Sometimes I do think Pop should just get it every year.

It's the same thing with Bill Belichick.

He could/should win it every year but he never will. It's just the way it goes. They ARE the best coach but the most "surprising" coach will get it.

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2017, 10:22 AM
In my mind, the most deserving coach is Pop. 61 wins, back-to-back 60-win seasons, and with a roster filled with aging veterans and an throw-back PF. But he's gotten Pau Gasol shooting over .500 from down town, and LMA shooting over .400, and manage to distribute minutes in such a way that Parker and Manu, not simply on the wrong side of 30, but the wrong side of 35, both remained effective.

You give any other coach in this league that roster, and I bet they don't get much more than 50 wins.

'Antoni is a system coach. He has a system. He is lucky that he has a roster that it works for. You put him on any team other than the Rockets or Warriors, and he's in trouble. He's like Phil Jackson trying to make the triangle work in NY, the only difference being he actually has players his system works for. He's doing a great job in this context, but he has a limited range as a coach.

Spo? I mean... the guy couldn't even make the playoffs. Why is he even in the conversation. Getting to .500 with a sub-par team is impressive... he's a good coach.. but maintaining a .500 team with some bad players is a lot easier that getting 60 wins out of a team where they have to play at a high level every night.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2017, 11:10 AM

he didn't exactly lose an elite player though. Missing the playoffs out east, shouldn't get you recognition for any awards. They got really hot, due to a coaching adjustment and players buying in. But they finished .500. That doesn't merit anything.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2017, 11:11 AM

he didn't exactly lose an elite player though. Missing the playoffs out east, shouldn't get you recognition for any awards. They got really hot, due to a coaching adjustment and players buying in. But they finished .500. That doesn't merit anything.

Great coaches win regardless.

IndyRealist
05-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Funny, because D'Antoni didn't win regardless in New York or LA, and he's the other guy up for the award.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Funny, because D'Antoni didn't win regardless in New York or LA, and he's the other guy up for the award.

well, not all the guys who win COY are great coaches haha.

IndyRealist
05-09-2017, 12:28 PM
well, not all the guys who win COY are great coaches haha.

Fair enough lol. But then why are we disqualifying Spo?

mavwar53
05-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Oh, did I miss something? Was he not the coach the first half of the year?

D'Antoni, Snyder, and Brooks all much more deserving. Pop as well but continued greatness will not get recognized despite lacking the top tier talent.

TheDish87
05-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Knock him for the start? Can't do that because he literally had an overhauled roster and various injuries. It took awhile for Waiters and James Johnson to find their grooves. Many teams just pack it up after various losing streaks and injuries. That's why Jason Kidd should be a finalist with the Bucks since they made the playoffs. Scott Brooks took a down and out Wizards team and made the playoffs too, thus he is another candidate.

every team deals with injuries and players 'finding their groove'. Spo isnt even top 5 for this season.

TheDish87
05-09-2017, 01:34 PM

it was widely reported the heat were never going to clear him.

IndyRealist
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
it was widely reported the heat were never going to clear him.

Medical tests have revealed continued blood clotting in Miami Heat forward Chris Bosh, making it unlikely he will be able to return to the court, the team announced. The Miami Herald first reported the news.
Yup, obviously rigged.

RCarlson85
05-09-2017, 02:08 PM

While I don't think Spo will win because the Heat missed the playoffs, the Heat played the entire season without Bosh who would have been their best player. He's also their highest paid player so it's as if any other team lost their best player game 1 because they didn't have him all year but his salary was still on the books. They played with basically 1/4 of their salary cap tied up in Bosh but got nothing from him. Whether or not he actually ever had a chance to be cleared they were still going to have to play the season with a depleted roster because of his money on the books.

Hawkeye15
05-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Fair enough lol. But then why are we disqualifying Spo?

Has a team that didn't make the playoffs ever had a coach win COY?

IndyRealist
05-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Has a team that didn't make the playoffs ever had a coach win COY?

Johnny Kerr won COY with a 33-48 record as the 8th team to make the playoffs in a 10 team league.

Hubie Brown won COY with a 41-41 record as the last team to make the playoffs.

The Miami Heat had a 41-41 record and tied for 8th, missing out on tiebreakers.

Context. You make it sound like they were in 12th place.

KnicksorBust
05-09-2017, 02:24 PM

I think losing one of the 5 greatest players ever to retirement and then the team still wins 61 games without him is pretty memorable.

RCarlson85
05-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Johnny Kerr won COY with a 33-48 record as the 8th team to make the playoffs in a 10 team league.

Hubie Brown won COY with a 41-41 record as the last team to make the playoffs.

The Miami Heat had a 41-41 record and tied for 8th, missing out on tiebreakers.

Context. You make it sound like they were in 12th place.

This is the part that's annoying to me. It's not like they were nowhere near the playoffs. They were tied with the Bulls for the final spot and lost a tiebreaker in a season series where they played 3 games and the Bulls got 2 of the 3 at home.

TheDish87
05-09-2017, 02:43 PM
lets not act like the going .500 and making the 8th seed in the east is some big accomplishment. the amount of tanking teams they faced played a role in the record too.

RCarlson85
05-09-2017, 02:53 PM
lets not act like the going .500 and making the 8th seed in the east is some big accomplishment. the amount of tanking teams they faced played a role in the record too.

The last person I want to hear knocking any sort of accomplishment in the NBA is a 76ers fan...

TheDish87
05-09-2017, 03:57 PM
oh bcuz being a sixers fan takes away my right to have an opinion? like im the only one saying this lol. you know how bad the east was? we were in playoff contention until Embiid went down. but sorry if you think Miami going .500 is an accomplishment than thats sad.

RCarlson85
05-09-2017, 05:52 PM
oh bcuz being a sixers fan takes away my right to have an opinion? like im the only one saying this lol. you know how bad the east was? we were in playoff contention until Embiid went down. but sorry if you think Miami going .500 is an accomplishment than thats sad.

Sorry if you can't recognize an actual accomplishment after years of tanking. No an accomplishment isn't finishing last every year and collecting draft picks just to see your team still never improve.

The Heat were literally 2nd worst in the NBA (yes even worse than the always tanking Sixers) before they turned things around. Maybe people expected the Heat to finish around .500 or a little below before the season started but those expectations changed when they were 11-30 at the midpoint. Everyone expected them just to give up and tank for a top pick. Instead they completely turned their season around and went 30-11 in the 2nd half to only miss playoffs by a tiebreaker. So it's more than just finishing .500 when you consider where they were at half way through the season.

TheDish87
05-10-2017, 10:11 AM
we only finished alst in the league once in the last 4 years though lol. but i bet the heat FO is stoked they finished 500 and missed the playoffs while paying 2 guys over 20 mil each.

the Heat being so bad early is on the coach, they didnt have a bottom 5 bad roster and you know it. sorry you dont get credit for having one **** half and one good half, its measured by the entire season.

IndyRealist
05-12-2017, 09:25 AM
As of this morning, neither of the two frontrunners for both COY and MVP are in the playoffs any longer.

FOXHOUND
05-12-2017, 10:01 AM
I think Spo greatly deserved his Coach of the Month award, and maybe should have won more than one, but the year starts in October.