PDA

View Full Version : What's most surprising about this season: no coaches fired!

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2017, 06:58 PM
There were a number of amazing accomplishments this season, but the most surprising in my mind is that no coaches were fired all year.

Any explanations for this? Is this (hopefully) a pattern moving forward to not pull the trigger on guys too quickly? Or just an anomaly?

lol, please
05-07-2017, 07:15 PM
It was discussed on the radio a few weeks back locally, and I agree with the take at the time that it's a good thing - it's not always the coaches fault and coaches should have a few seasons for things to sort themselves out and for them to make an impact.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
05-07-2017, 08:36 PM
There's also been quite a few the past 2 years as well so that factors into it

aman_13
05-07-2017, 08:52 PM
There's also been quite a few the past 2 years as well so that factors into it

Yup and for some of them, the optics were not good. The coaches are also defending eachother and making public statements. It's not as easy to let go coaches.

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2017, 11:11 PM
It was discussed on the radio a few weeks back locally, and I agree with the take at the time that it's a good thing - it's not always the coaches fault and coaches should have a few seasons for things to sort themselves out and for them to make an impact.

Yeah... I think some teams are seeing that now... like the Pacers.... they would have been in much better shape had they kept their coach.

I think there is also a money concern. It may not be a big deal for a team like the Lakers or Knicks to throw a 4 or 5 year contract at several million a season down the toilet and end up paying 3 head coaches at once, but for other teams... that's big money.

I feel like at the end of the day, there are a lot of situations where coaches are making the most out of what they have. Dwayne Casey is a fine example. What is he supposed to do with a team whose first offensive option can't shoot the 3-ball? In this league? And then to be missing his primary ball handler? It is no wonder they got swept. It would take a miracle to win a game against the Cavs with that team.

The fact that Casey got 50+ wins out of this team, and has back-to-back 50-win seasons for a franchise that never saw 50 wins (even when it had Vince Carter), and has averages 50+ wins over the last four season is a testament to what he's doing. The Raptors have seen their winningest 6-season span with Casey, and have won more playoff series with him than anybody, and made it to the conference finals for the first time, and have back-to-back seasons where they made it to the second round which they had only done once before. And yes, we all know the response will be: "Somebody has to be held accountable." He'll likely get fired despite the fact that he's seen more success than any coach in Toronto's history. Why? Because when somebody doesn't win it all after a few years, they assume something is wrong.

This year the league seemed to not do that. I'm hopeful it is a trend for the future, but I feel like things will return to normal once the season is over.

Casey and Gentry will be the first to go I think.

Scoots
05-08-2017, 08:57 AM
I agree with the above ... a LOT of turnover the last 3 years will naturally lead to a slight reduction in firings ... fewer re-treads in general means more new coaches, and new coaches tend to be given a little more time.

In addition ... nobody expected to be able to challenge the Warriors and the Cavs so the coaches get a little reprieve there too. When a coach can say "In this league right now you have to have 5 current or former all-stars on your team to even compete, tell the GM to get me that and then we'll talk" they are going to make an impact on the thinking of an owner.

Vinylman
05-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I agree with the above ... a LOT of turnover the last 3 years will naturally lead to a slight reduction in firings ... fewer re-treads in general means more new coaches, and new coaches tend to be given a little more time.

In addition ... nobody expected to be able to challenge the Warriors and the Cavs so the coaches get a little reprieve there too. When a coach can say "In this league right now you have to have 5 current or former all-stars on your team to even compete, tell the GM to get me that and then we'll talk" they are going to make an impact on the thinking of an owner.

The second paragraph is spot on...

On an aside... the only guy who would normally be fired is Doc Rivers but with the impending FA of both CP3 and Griffin it appears that inevitability will get another year.

AllBall
05-08-2017, 12:18 PM

There's never been parity in the NBA, so why hasn't that stopped coaches from getting canned before?

Scoots
05-08-2017, 03:55 PM
There's never been parity in the NBA, so why hasn't that stopped coaches from getting canned before?

I think it's that there is a narrative now that it has to be done with elite free agents and in the past it was about the draft and developing young guys.

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2017, 03:01 PM
I think it's that there is a narrative now that it has to be done with elite free agents and in the past it was about the draft and developing young guys.

I think this is right. The NBA goes in waves, with new ideas catching on. Like MVP: for a while it was: who is making the team better (Nash wins MVP), then who is the best player on the best team? LBJ? Curry? KD? This year... who has the best stats?

Team building goes in the same way. Back in the day, you were expected to draft well and make trades. You see that with the Pistons, and Bulls back in the day.

Then it shifted to drafting well and everybody wanted the guys from the Spurs doing their scouting.

Then there were two paradigms: free agent signings (Miami) and building through the draft (OKC and GSW).

With young guys coming who aren't NBA ready, those two models seemed best. Let another team develop a guy, and then sign him away when he's NBA ready. Or... draft well and focus on player development.

Either way... the pressure is now on the GM, not the coach. They have to draft well, and they have to sign guys. The coach just develops.

Before coaches would be expected to win with the guys they got in the draft and the guys they traded for or signed. Now the GM has to make a blockbuster deal or make a coup of a signing. If they don't, the team sucks because the GM sucks.

AllBall
05-09-2017, 04:13 PM
By that logic we should be seeing more GMs fired. :confused: