PDA

View Full Version : What Would Be the Best Five-Man Defensive Lineup in Basketball?

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 06:06 PM
You can pick any five players in the league with the caveat that everyone has to play their typical position (you can bend it slightly, like, say, Draymond at center, but you can't use an extra wing at point guard or anything like that). What would be the best defensive unit you could assemble?

I'm conflicted. Part of me just wants keep everyone the same size and switch EVERYTHING, 1-5, something like Livingston-Danny Green-Kawhi-Millsap-Draymond, just to make everyone's lives easier. But it'd be so hard for me to give up some of the individual players at other spots. The raw "best at each position" would probably be CP3-Tony Allen-Kawhi-Draymond-Gobert, and that's a lineup with a bit more versatility in that it could handle smaller guards or post up bigs better. I'm not sure. I'm leaning the latter but could be swayed.

What do you all think?

lol, please
05-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Paul
Klay
Iggy
Green
Goebert

warfelg
05-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Avery Bradley
Tony Allen
Kwahi Leonard
Draymond Green
(Unpopular Take) Joel Embiid

valade16
05-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Chris Paul
Avery Bradley
Kawhi Leonard
Draymond Green
Rudy Gobert

TrueFan420
05-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Paul
Klay
Iggy
Green
Goebert

Insert Kawhi Leonard where you have Iggy and this would be my 5 man defensive group

Dade County
05-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Beverley
Klay
Kawhi
Green
Whiteside

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 10:21 PM
I think people are reallllllly overrating Klay. He's a good defender, very good, but he's not better than Avery Bradley, Danny Gree, Tony Allen and Roberson at the very least, and I think he's worse than Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as well but KCP is more of a point guard defender than a wing stopper. So Klay's very good, but I think you're crazy to pick him as your one defensive SG in this kind of setting.

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Beverley
Klay
Kawhi
Green
Whiteside

Avery Bradley
Tony Allen
Kwahi Leonard
Draymond Green
(Unpopular Take) Joel Embiid

Guys homerism is cool and all but there is not a better defensive center than Gobert.

kdspurman
05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
I think people are reallllllly overrating Klay. He's a good defender, very good, but he's not better than Avery Bradley, Danny Gree, Tony Allen and Roberson at the very least, and I think he's worse than Kentavious Caldwell-Pope as well but KCP is more of a point guard defender than a wing stopper. So Klay's very good, but I think you're crazy to pick him as your one defensive SG in this kind of setting.

Agreed.. Re: Green, he gets slept on a bunch

Chronz
05-07-2017, 10:32 PM

Thats klays sole calling card too though. I think his rep started growing during a game where he defended Kobe really well and got props for it from the guy. When Kobe speaks, people listen too closely. I remember young Kobe ******** when people gave guys credit for slowing him down.

Green makes my 2 guard list but a guy you shouldn't sleep on is Prince Luc - Moute in LA.

Heediot
05-07-2017, 10:33 PM
PG Beverly
SG Butler
SF Kahwi
PF Dray
C Gobert

Giannis-PG-Kawhi-Dray-Gobert Defense would be killer with all that length!

COOLbeans
05-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Beverly
Avery Bradley
Kahwi
Draymond
Gobert

Lucky.
05-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Marcus Smart
Andre Roberson
Kawhi Leonard
Draymond Green
Rudy Gobert

warfelg
05-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Guys homerism is cool and all but there is not a better defensive center than Gobert.

Top 6 defense with vs bottom 6 without.

Scoots
05-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Tony Allen and Chris Paul are not near as good as they once were. Both are getting by on reputation more than ever before.

Bradley (if I can't have him, then Smart)
Klay
Kawhi
Green
Gobert

Quinnsanity
05-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Thats klays sole calling card too though. I think his rep started growing during a game where he defended Kobe really well and got props for it from the guy. When Kobe speaks, people listen too closely. I remember young Kobe ******** when people gave guys credit for slowing him down.

Green makes my 2 guard list but a guy you shouldn't sleep on is Prince Luc - Moute in LA.

I wouldn't call it his sole calling card. Kerr made a big deal about letting Curry defend point guards in 2015. I imagine that was a confidence boosting thing to some degree, but for most of that year that's what they did. They've slowed down on it the past two years, and Klay has much more size and length than KCP does. They're different types of defenders. I'd rather have KCP defend Curry or Isaiah, but I'd rather have Klay defending bigger point guards.

Love Mbah a Moute, but I think of him as a 3. It's a shame that he's basically a lock to leave the Clips this summer (they only have Early Bird Rights, so they can only pay him 105% of the average salary, and he'll certainly get offered more than that), but that's what you get when you fail to develop your own young guys and draft picks. Even if you can turn a minimum dude into a good player you ultimately don't have the cap flexibility to keep him.

Top 6 defense with vs bottom 6 without.

And Jazz were 1st with Gobert, 21st without him.

If you want to see me slobber all over Embiid go to the Isaiah thread. I thought he was the 4th best defensive player in basketball this season. But he's not better than Gobert ALREADY.

Kyben36
05-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Pure d.

Id go

avery
jimmy
kawhi
green
jordan

hugepatsfan
05-08-2017, 05:09 PM
CP3
Bradley
Kawhi
Green
Gobert

I think it's actually pretty easy. I think all 5 of those guys are for sure the best at their positions. You can argue how big the gap is between them and #2 but I feel it's cut and dry those are the best at each position.

I think the one topic up for discussion is if you want to replace one of CP3/Bradley with a bigger guard for matchups. But then again, Bradley D'd up Butler in that series and it doesn't get bigger than him at SG so it's not like it's really a problem.

Kyben36
05-08-2017, 05:55 PM
cp3
bradley
kawhi
green
gobert

i think it's actually pretty easy. I think all 5 of those guys are for sure the best at their positions. You can argue how big the gap is between them and #2 but i feel it's cut and dry those are the best at each position.

I think the one topic up for discussion is if you want to replace one of cp3/bradley with a bigger guard for matchups. But then again, bradley d'd up butler in that series and it doesn't get bigger than him at sg so it's not like it's really a problem.

ive personally never seen cp3 as an elite defender like the rest on the list, i also dont totally buy gobert myself. I think there are other centers who do simlar to what he can.

Jets012
05-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Chris Paul
Roberson/Allen (When Roberson is locked in there might not be a better perimeter defender in the league)
Kawhi
Draymond (best defender in basketball, not close)
Gobert/Nogueira

The debatable ones I just split up.

TrueFan420
05-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Arguments could be made for a few players at SG but Allen and Green aren't what they once were. Their coasting on name rep. I lean towards Klay over some others cause of his size. Roberson is a SF isn't he?

SF/PF are the only two 100% no arguements to made Kawhi/Green.

Quinnsanity
05-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Arguments could be made for a few players at SG but Allen and Green aren't what they once were. Their coasting on name rep. I lean towards Klay over some others cause of his size. Roberson is a SF isn't he?

SF/PF are the only two 100% no arguements to made Kawhi/Green.

Roberson is anything from a 2 through a 4 depending on his teammates. Played 2 when Durant and Ibaka was there.

TrueFan420
05-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Roberson is anything from a 2 through a 4 depending on his teammates. Played 2 when Durant and Ibaka was there.
He is not a 4. He may play some spot minutes there but he's a wing. 2/3. I've always thought of him as a 3 but I guess it's not a stretch to call him a 2 either.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-08-2017, 09:10 PM
C- Rudy
PF- Dray
SF- Kawhi
SG- Giannis
PG- Paul

warfelg
05-08-2017, 09:27 PM
And Jazz were 1st with Gobert, 21st without him.

If you want to see me slobber all over Embiid go to the Isaiah thread. I thought he was the 4th best defensive player in basketball this season. But he's not better than Gobert ALREADY.

I'll admit it's a little biased.

But I saw enough times where Embiid switched onto a guard like Irving, Wall, Harden and help his own out there and manged to stick with them enough to make things difficult.

Gobert gets out of his element when he's outside the paint.

KnicksorBust
05-08-2017, 09:59 PM
This thread should just be who are the best pg/sg defenders in the league bc 3-4-5 is wrapped up.

I like Bradley and Butler personally if I can slide ab to the 1.

europagnpilgrim
05-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Bev or Bradley
Leonard
Durant
Green
Whiteside

ChitownbullsBG7
05-09-2017, 02:59 AM
Tony allen
Leonard
Butler
Giannis
Draymond Green

Lakers + Giants
05-09-2017, 04:04 AM
Paul
Butler
Leonard
Green
Gobert

Scoots
05-09-2017, 09:00 AM

I had Butler and Roberson at 3 since that's where they played the vast majority of their minutes this year. But I agree Roberson is a great defender and is generally under-rated.

Now if offense matters even with a defensive focus?

mrblisterdundee
05-09-2017, 02:26 PM
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: Draymond Green
C: Rudy Gobert

My only real struggle was in whether to go with the more established Iguoudala or Allen, or with the newcomer Smart. But Smart's been such a pit bull, can cover so many positions and is athletically superior at this point, so I'll go with him.

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Chris Paul
Klay
Kawhi
Green
Mutumbo clone that I"m working on in my basement. Or AD.

For C... I feel like the game has changed so much. A Prime Duncan would be ideal in this league for a defensive center, because he can step out and guard a stretch: I don't feel like most shot-blocking bigs are very good at that.

I feel like with that line-up, you'd not only have the best defensive line-up, but one that would destroy on both ends of the court.

Tyson still go some game on him. Wish he wasn't wasting his last couple seasons on a lottery team. He could be the best back-up in the league.

BKLYNpigeon
05-09-2017, 04:44 PM
Draymond - Kawai and Gobert. fill in the rest...