PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank Isaiah Thomas?

LOb0
05-05-2017, 07:54 PM
First, where do you rank him in top point guards? Second, overall rank?

warfelg
05-05-2017, 08:04 PM
3rd at the highest. His being a complete liability on defense knocks him down some.

DanG
05-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Curry (top 5)
Westbrook (top 6)
Wall (top 10)
Paul (top 10)
Thomas (top 15)
Irving (top 15)
Lillard (top 15)

I think Thomas, Irving, Lillard all have an argument for top 15.

valade16
05-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Curry (top 5)
Westbrook (top 6)
Wall (top 10)
Paul (top 10)
Thomas (top 15)
Irving (top 15)
Lillard (top 15)

I think Thomas, Irving, Lillard all have an argument for top 15.

As a Blazer fan I think this season Isaiah Thomas clearly surpassed Lillard.

tredigs
05-05-2017, 09:10 PM
As a point I'd have him behind Curry, CP3, Westbrook and possibly Wall. So 5th (just ahead of Kyrie).

As a player, top 15-18.

FlashBolt
05-05-2017, 10:07 PM
CP3
Curry
Harden
Westy
Wall
Thomas

Overall? Probably in the top 15. The guy is a great scorer but he's too one-dimensional for me to rank him higher.

LeBron
Kawhi
KD
PG
Jimmy Butler
Anthony Davis
Curry
Westy
Harden
Giannis
CP3
Wall
Cousins
KAT
Isaiah

GREATNESS ONE
05-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Isiah Thomas from Detroit? Top 25.

ManningToTyree
05-06-2017, 03:07 AM
Top 5 pg top 20 (maybe 15) overall. His defense kills the argument for him over a lot of guys because purely offensively he's a top 10 player

Quinnsanity
05-06-2017, 02:26 PM
I'm working on a top-50 list that's getting published this summer. Right now I have a my top 34 largely done, here's that list, I know you guys are gonna hate parts of it:

1. LeBron
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Kawhi
5. Chris Paul
6. Harden
7. John Wall
8. Russell Westbrook
9. Giannis Antetokounmpo
10. Anthony Davis
11. Jimmy Butler
12. Karl Anthony Towns
13. Paul George
14. Damian Lillard
15. Rudy Gobert
16. Draymond Green
17. DeMarcus Cousins
18. Klay Thompson
19. Marc Gasol
20. Mike Conley
21. CJ McCollum
22. Kyle Lowry
23. Isaiah Thomas
24. Gordon Hayward
25.Paul Millsap
26. Kyrie Irving
27. Nikola Jokic
28. Hassan Whiteside
29. DeAndre Jordan
30. Bradley Beal
31. LaMarcus Aldridge
32. Kevin Love
33. Joel Embiid
34. Kemba Walker

FlashBolt
05-06-2017, 11:40 PM
I'm working on a top-50 list that's getting published this summer. Right now I have a my top 34 largely done, here's that list, I know you guys are gonna hate parts of it:

1. LeBron
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Kawhi
5. Chris Paul
6. Harden
7. John Wall
8. Russell Westbrook
9. Giannis Antetokounmpo
10. Anthony Davis
11. Jimmy Butler
12. Karl Anthony Towns
13. Paul George
14. Damian Lillard
15. Rudy Gobert
16. Draymond Green
17. DeMarcus Cousins
18. Klay Thompson
19. Marc Gasol
20. Mike Conley
21. CJ McCollum
22. Kyle Lowry
23. Isaiah Thomas
24. Gordon Hayward
25.Paul Millsap
26. Kyrie Irving
27. Nikola Jokic
28. Hassan Whiteside
29. DeAndre Jordan
30. Bradley Beal
31. LaMarcus Aldridge
32. Kevin Love
33. Joel Embiid
34. Kemba Walker

Uhm, what does Kawhi have to do to be #2? Pretty sure he's playing like one.

More-Than-Most
05-07-2017, 12:29 AM

yo wtf... you are letting me down... look at his number 33.. how did you not go ham?

More-Than-Most
05-07-2017, 12:33 AM
As a Blazer fan I think this season Isaiah Thomas clearly surpassed Lillard.

why? they arent that far apart and lillard is a better defender.. not a good one either but better.... Now factor in the team around IT compared to Lillard.. I am asking honestly how he is better than Kyrie or lillard

FlashBolt
05-07-2017, 12:37 AM
yo wtf... you are letting me down... look at his number 33.. how did you not go ham?

I thought that 33 next to his name meant the amount of games he's played in the NBA so far

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 02:04 AM

I wrote this before the playoffs started, and at this point I'd probably put Kawhi ahead of Durant.

But seriously, people forget how ****ing incredible Curry was last year, and would be this year if Durant wasn't on his team. He's not a worse player. He's sacrificed for the team. I'd rather have the player Curry was last season, and assume he still could be on any other team, than the player Kawhi is now.

Honestly, putting him at 33 was a compromise. If his health wasn't such a question mark he'd be much higher.

I cannot overstate how good Joel Embiid was when he was on the floor. He was, by my estimation, the fourth best defensive player in basketball AS A ROOKIE, put up an efficient 20 points per night and improved significantly as the season went along. If my goal next year is to win the championship, and I'm choosing between the certainty of 75 good games from Kemba or the chance for a nearly full season of utter greatness from Embiid, I am taking Embiid. You don't win the championship with good. Every player above him is someone I feel is good enough that the risk of Embiid's health isn't worth the potential reward when I can have the certainty of those other guys. But I draw the line at 33. Embiid was that good. If my goal is to win the championship, I'd rather have him than Kemba, or anyone in my next tier (which I haven't ranked yet, but at the moment is in some order: DeMar, Carmelo, Kristaps, Booker, Wiggins, Drummond, Bledsoe, Dragic and Blake). Again, he was THAT good.

FlashBolt
05-07-2017, 02:37 AM
I wrote this before the playoffs started, and at this point I'd probably put Kawhi ahead of Durant.

But seriously, people forget how ****ing incredible Curry was last year, and would be this year if Durant wasn't on his team. He's not a worse player. He's sacrificed for the team. I'd rather have the player Curry was last season, and assume he still could be on any other team, than the player Kawhi is now.

Honestly, putting him at 33 was a compromise. If his health wasn't such a question mark he'd be much higher.

I cannot overstate how good Joel Embiid was when he was on the floor. He was, by my estimation, the fourth best defensive player in basketball AS A ROOKIE, put up an efficient 20 points per night and improved significantly as the season went along. If my goal next year is to win the championship, and I'm choosing between the certainty of 75 good games from Kemba or the chance for a nearly full season of utter greatness from Embiid, I am taking Embiid. You don't win the championship with good. Every player above him is someone I feel is good enough that the risk of Embiid's health isn't worth the potential reward when I can have the certainty of those other guys. But I draw the line at 33. Embiid was that good. If my goal is to win the championship, I'd rather have him than Kemba, or anyone in my next tier (which I haven't ranked yet, but at the moment is in some order: DeMar, Carmelo, Kristaps, Booker, Wiggins, Drummond, Bledsoe, Dragic and Blake). Again, he was THAT good.

I thought you were doing it for this year. Kawhi has to be #2.

FOXHOUND
05-07-2017, 02:49 AM
I thought that 33 next to his name meant the amount of games he's played in the NBA so far

:laugh2:

:burn:

FOXHOUND
05-07-2017, 02:58 AM
I'll give him 4th for PG's right now. Overall, uhh... top 15?

More-Than-Most
05-07-2017, 03:16 AM

You just became my new best friend. :love:

More-Than-Most
05-07-2017, 03:17 AM

:laugh:

not even mad... this is epic burn

tredigs
05-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Beating the Rockets and looking like the best player in the Warriors/Spurs matchup is what he needs to do to claim #2.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-07-2017, 05:40 PM
I mean the dude's probably gonna be fifth in the MVP voting in the one of, if not the best, MVP race ever. That alone should warrant top-15ish, right?

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 05:57 PM
I thought you were doing it for this year. Kawhi has to be #2.

Kawhi has been better than Curry this year, but that does not make Kawhi a better player than Curry, if that makes sense. It is basically, independent of current circumstance, if you were trying to win the title, who would you want?

You just became my new best friend. :love:

A healthy Joel Embiid is a player we've never seen before. A DPOY-caliber defender who shoots 3's efficiently, rebounds at an extremely high rate (his total rebounding rate was higher than Tristan Thompson's this year), can pass and dribble from almost anywhere on the floor and STILL post up at a high level (.88 PPP this year, which will only get higher as Philly surrounds him with shooting so he can't be doubled as easily). These are not things Joel Embiid will one day do. These are things that Joel Embiid ALREADY DOES, and will only get better at as he ages. What's the ceiling? Could he shoot 40% on three's and lead the league in blocks? Could he average 25-10-5-5? I have no idea where this goes.

Obviously health is a huge variable, and we should not assume that he stays healthy. But if he does, ****, he's the best young player since LeBron. We're talking about an entirely new breed of player, someone with top-10 All Time potential. He was seriously that good.

tredigs
05-07-2017, 11:21 PM
I mean the dude's probably gonna be fifth in the MVP voting in the one of, if not the best, MVP race ever. That alone should warrant top-15ish, right?

Hahah Uhh. What? Horrible MVP race. When have two of the top 5 players in the NBA (arguably top 3) not been eligible for MVP? When has the leader of a 3 seed and 6 seed ever ran the MVP race? Not to mention, the winner of the award being a very very borderline top 5 player (don't think he is) and a first round out (playing horribly).

Hawkeye15
05-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Curry
Paul
Westbrook

Wall
Thomas
Lillard

Conley
Lowry
Irving

Walker
Rubio
Hill

those are my tiers off the top of my head.

FlashBolt
05-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Kawhi has been better than Curry this year, but that does not make Kawhi a better player than Curry, if that makes sense. It is basically, independent of current circumstance, if you were trying to win the title, who would you want?

A healthy Joel Embiid is a player we've never seen before. A DPOY-caliber defender who shoots 3's efficiently, rebounds at an extremely high rate (his total rebounding rate was higher than Tristan Thompson's this year), can pass and dribble from almost anywhere on the floor and STILL post up at a high level (.88 PPP this year, which will only get higher as Philly surrounds him with shooting so he can't be doubled as easily). These are not things Joel Embiid will one day do. These are things that Joel Embiid ALREADY DOES, and will only get better at as he ages. What's the ceiling? Could he shoot 40% on three's and lead the league in blocks? Could he average 25-10-5-5? I have no idea where this goes.

Obviously health is a huge variable, and we should not assume that he stays healthy. But if he does, ****, he's the best young player since LeBron. We're talking about an entirely new breed of player, someone with top-10 All Time potential. He was seriously that good.

Kawhi. Curry hasn't played well in the Finals at all. He's been bad by his standard and his standard is not as great as Kawhi has played both offensively and defensively. There's no evidence any player has been better than Kawhi has other than LeBron. On the other hand, I do agree that we should lit this simmer down a bit even more but I've seen enough to say Kawhi is the 2nd best player. Let's not forget the Spurs completely crumbled against the Grizzlies but Kawhi was carrying everyone on his back.

tredigs
05-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Kawhi. Curry hasn't played well in the Finals at all. He's been bad by his standard and his standard is not as great as Kawhi has played both offensively and defensively. There's no evidence any player has been better than Kawhi has other than LeBron. On the other hand, I do agree that we should lit this simmer down a bit even more but I've seen enough to say Kawhi is the 2nd best player. Let's not forget the Spurs completely crumbled against the Grizzlies but Kawhi was carrying everyone on his back.
Curry was very good in the first finals (and tied the all time 4th quarter scoring record multiple times), again with this tired narrative. Kawhi, like Harden and Westbrook, are in situations where they need to be the man every single night. Curry and KD obviously don't have that burden on their shoulders. That said, we saw that when KD went down Curry went right back into Alpha mode and just dominated (27/5/8 on a 65% TS while losing 4 total games - including the playoffs). He's the most devastating offensive force in the game, and the opposition has to focus on him. He's the same player right now as he was pre injury last season, albeit with a lesser load when KD plays. That's a better player than Kawhi has ever been, despite Kawhi's simply freaking amazing playoff efficiency so far. Or, if we're just going to go by the 10 game playoff sample, then Kawhi is not the 2nd best, he's the best player in the world.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Hahah Uhh. What? Horrible MVP race. When have two of the top 5 players in the NBA (arguably top 3) not been eligible for MVP? When has the leader of a 3 seed and 6 seed ever ran the MVP race? Not to mention, the winner of the award being a very very borderline top 5 player (don't think he is) and a first round out (playing horribly).

lol you might be the first person to say that.

FlashBolt
05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Curry was very good in the first finals (and tied the all time 4th quarter scoring record multiple times), again with this tired narrative. Kawhi, like Harden and Westbrook, are in situations where they need to be the man every single night. Curry and KD obviously don't have that burden on their shoulders. That said, we saw that when KD went down Curry went right back into Alpha mode and just dominated (27/5/8 on a 65% TS while losing 4 total games - including the playoffs). He's the most devastating offensive force in the game, and the opposition has to focus on him. He's the same player right now as he was pre injury last season, albeit with a lesser load when KD plays. That's a better player than Kawhi has ever been, despite Kawhi's simply freaking amazing playoff efficiency so far. Or, if we're just going to go by the 10 game playoff sample, then Kawhi is not the 2nd best, he's the best player in the world.

He wasn't the Curry MVP, though and that's what made that team run as well as it did. Kawhi isn't really in that situation in the sense that this is the first season that Pop has really depended on Kawhi more because he's just that good. I'm not going to go into who had the better season but if I had to choose, I'm picking Kawhi over anyone not named LeBron. KD+Curry are right up there in my top five, too. I guess this and next series for Kawhi are going to answer many questions.

mngopher35
05-08-2017, 03:23 PM
I think you can make a case for him right after the top 3 (Curry, Westy, CP3).

I was going to say he is right around Kyrie but thinking on it Wall/Lilliard probably are right in the range to with them as well. Not sure how I would order that but I think I had IT on my most improved player lists in the awards thread (and if not considered him). He had an incredible season after already looking like a good pg.

tredigs
05-08-2017, 03:29 PM
lol you might be the first person to say that.

Probably true and actually I'll back off "horrible" MVP race, because it was close and they clearly had very good years on the offensive end, but yeah, can you ever think of a time where multiple of the games best players were essentially ineligible? 'Bron in 2010 is the closest I can think of, but that was only one player and he still came in 3rd (winning the next two years), as people got over "The Decision" and the round-up of Eastern Conference talent very quickly. IT had a great year and is a top 10 offensive player right now IMO, but that's about as far as I would go.

DanG
05-08-2017, 05:37 PM
CP3 always overrated here. I would take John Wall over him any day. Faster, stronger, taller, great passer, better defender.

mngopher35
05-08-2017, 05:47 PM
CP3 always overrated here. I would take John Wall over him any day. Faster, stronger, taller, great passer, better defender.

CP3 is the better defender. Offensively too but you didn't claim Wall as better on that end.

I dunno I would like to hear the explanation on this one tbh. I just don't see it yet and your initially reasoning doesn't really hold up imo.

Vee-Rex
05-08-2017, 06:05 PM
I had Wall as the 4th best PG last year and was clowned for it.

IT took a step up this year for sure but I wouldn't put him above Wall. Wall is better at every aspect of the game except scoring/efficiency in the regular season. He's destroying it in the playoffs. IT has regressed in the playoffs his entire career.

I think it's more like:

Steph/CP3/Westy

Wall

IT/Conley/Irving/Lillard/Lowry

Hawkeye15
05-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Paul is easily the better defender. Hell, Paul might be one of the handful of best defensive PG's ever. He is a better shooter, passer, ball handler, higher IQ, etc.

Basically, Chris Paul is a lot better at basketball than John Wall.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-09-2017, 02:33 PM

:cheers:

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2017, 02:52 PM
You can applaud him for a great season, but at the end of the day, if you were a GM, there are likely a dozen PGs you'd take over him.

Curry. CP3. Westbrook. Harden. Wall. Kyrie. Lillard. I think most GMs would certainly takes each of these guys over IT if they were starting a team from scratch.

Lowry. Conley. Holiday. Teague. Maybe Walker and Bledsoe.

Now... ask me who had a better season? Sure... I'd put IT top five. But at the end of the day, he is a point guard who struggled to finished in 19th in assists and got beat out in APG by TWO forwards (James and Green, both well ahead of him in that regard).

I'm happy for him. He had a great year. But I see this as his peak. He may be able to pull something similar off next season, but as a primary play maker on a team with a scoring option other than him, he couldn't put it together. Now, he was young in Sac-town, but they had DMC and Rudy Gay and some spot-up shooters, and that team didn't even pull 30 wins. I don't blame him squarely, but it does speak to the limits of his game.

He gives up too much on defense. Offensively, he was great, for the regular season, but in a playoff series? His limits are exploited. I don't want to point to the Chicago series, or even this series to be honest, because I know he has some personal things going on, but at the same time, it is easy for a veteran PG with a defensive IQ to slow him down and make him less efficient.

I hope to be proved wrong, and I want to see him do well, but frankly, I don't think he's the kind of PG that can compete for a title without changing his game or being more of a 'spark off the bench' kind of guy. Like an amped up NAte Robinson.

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Paul is easily the better defender. Hell, Paul might be one of the handful of best defensive PG's ever. He is a better shooter, passer, ball handler, higher IQ, etc.

Basically, Chris Paul is a lot better at basketball than John Wall.

LMAO.... pretty much sums it up.

Love Wall. He's doing great things. But, CP3 is better in pretty much every quantifiable way.

basch152
05-11-2017, 09:36 AM

You basically just described hakeem olajuwon. So it's not a player we've never seen before.

Outside of 3pt shooting, but his range extended to just inside the 3pt line.

Quinnsanity
05-11-2017, 05:04 PM
You basically just described hakeem olajuwon. So it's not a player we've never seen before.

Outside of 3pt shooting, but his range extended to just inside the 3pt line.

The three-point shooting is immensely important. A three-point shot is worth 1.5 times as much as a two-point shot. If Embiid is making them at a percentage similar to what Hakeem did in the mid-range, that's a lot more valuable to his team even before you consider the spacing implications. So a version of Hakeem that can shoot three's is a player that we haven't seen before.

hayley1988
05-12-2017, 10:32 AM
A on offense, and a D on defense. Probably a B overall. Given his size limitations, I think he's peaked.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2017, 11:11 AM

1. LeBron
2. Curry
3. Durant
4. Kawhi
5. Chris Paul
6. Harden
7. John Wall
8. Russell Westbrook
9. Giannis Antetokounmpo
10. Anthony Davis
11. Jimmy Butler
12. Karl Anthony Towns
13. Paul George
14. Damian Lillard
15. Rudy Gobert
16. Draymond Green
17. DeMarcus Cousins
18. Klay Thompson
19. Marc Gasol
20. Mike Conley
21. CJ McCollum
22. Kyle Lowry
23. Isaiah Thomas
24. Gordon Hayward
25.Paul Millsap
26. Kyrie Irving
27. Nikola Jokic
28. Hassan Whiteside
29. DeAndre Jordan
30. Bradley Beal
31. LaMarcus Aldridge
32. Kevin Love
33. Joel Embiid
34. Kemba Walker

I respect the effort to rank that many players. I think IT is better than Conley/Lowry/McCollum. Conly/Lowry are more balanced but the fact that IT can carry an offense himself to me makes him "better" than those guys. They are more well-rounded though so I don't have any huge objection. I just think a guy that is elite at one end is a "better" player. McCollum is a great offensive threat but I just think less of one than IT so I give him the edge there too. I think Irving and Hayward are better than all those guys though so I'd rearrange #20-26 as:

Irving
Hayward
IT
Conley
McCollum
Lowry
Milsap

Curious as a Celtics fan where (roughly) you'd rank Bradley and Horford.

WaDe03
05-12-2017, 11:30 AM

1. Wade
2. LeBron
3. Curry
4. Durant
5. Kawhi
6. Chris Paul
7. Harden
8. John Wall
9. Russell Westbrook
10. Giannis Antetokounmpo
11. Anthony Davis
12. Jimmy Butler
13. Karl Anthony Towns
14. Paul George
15. Damian Lillard
16. Rudy Gobert
17. Draymond Green
18. DeMarcus Cousins
19. Klay Thompson
20. Marc Gasol
21. Mike Conley
22. CJ McCollum
23. Kyle Lowry
24. Isaiah Thomas
25. Gordon Hayward
26. Paul Millsap
27. Kyrie Irving
28. Nikola Jokic
29. Hassan Whiteside
30. DeAndre Jordan
31. Bradley Beal
32. LaMarcus Aldridge
33. Kevin Love
34. Joel Embiid
35. Kemba Walker

Not a bad list but I'd probably move some guys around from 3-35. For example, I would probably have Durant and Kawhi ahead of Curry for 3rd and 4th and movie Curry to 5th and Westbrook is better than Wall.

Bostonjorge
05-16-2017, 12:54 AM
Isiah is for sure at the very least playing like a top 10 player. He has his team 4 games away from the NBA finals.

FlashBolt
05-16-2017, 01:11 AM
Isiah is for sure at the very least playing like a top 10 player. He has his team 4 games away from the NBA finals.

No he isn't. He just came off a bad playoff series in which he was probably the fourth best guard in the series. He also had an underwhelming Chicago series, too. I can name ten players off the bat who are better than Isaiah.. and it's not close.

WaDe03
05-16-2017, 10:03 AM
No he isn't. He just came off a bad playoff series in which he was probably the fourth best guard in the series. He also had an underwhelming Chicago series, too. I can name ten players off the bat who are better than Isaiah.. and it's not close.

Nice Sig!

WaDe03
05-16-2017, 10:04 AM

No he isn't lol.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2017, 10:11 AM
I feel like he's top 20ish with a case to be as high as 15ish

celtNYpatsHeels
05-16-2017, 01:09 PM
PGs:
Curry
Westbrook
Paul
Harden
Wall
Irving
Lowry

Then Conley, Isaiah, Kemba, Lillard come next... not sure the order

Overall I'd put him at top 30.

hugepatsfan
05-16-2017, 01:15 PM
PGs:
Curry
Westbrook
Paul
Harden
Wall
Irving
Lowry

Then Conley, Isaiah, Kemba, Lillard come next... not sure the order

Overall I'd put him at top 30.

He's better than Lowry and Conley IMO. I get that they're more well rounded but IT is straight elite on the offensive end and I think that outweighs their more balanced games.

FlashBolt
05-17-2017, 03:02 PM
He's better than Lowry and Conley IMO. I get that they're more well rounded but IT is straight elite on the offensive end and I think that outweighs their more balanced games.

He's definitely not better than Conley. It actually depends on what your team is built on. Conley is a much better PG if you're trying to win because he's the ideal PG. Does what he's supposed to every night, plays defense, smart plays, never complains, no drama. Isaiah is a scorer. He can't really create unless it's an unbelievably open play.