PDA

View Full Version : JaVale McGee

mrblisterdundee
05-04-2017, 09:36 PM
More-Than-Most got his LeBron thread, so I'm making one for JaVale.
In less than 12 minutes per game, he's getting more than eight points, nearly 3.5 rebounds and two blocks per game that's 25, 10 and 6 per 36 minutes while making 76 percent of his field goals. He's got a 34 PER, the highest on the team.
How much do you think JaVale could do if given a bigger role? What if he would/could pass the ball significantly more?

COOLbeans
05-04-2017, 10:02 PM
I think hes a starter in this league. everytime i see him play i think about shaqtin a fool and how much that helped the Warriors this year. Dude was supposed to be a borderline allstar player and fortunately his reputation was so bad that hes in the position hes in, and now will compete for a championship.

hes a blue chip athlete with a very good basketball pedigree. Dude might actually get paid a little next year

lakerfan85
05-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Wtf? Lol!!

ewing
05-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Goat

Scoots
05-05-2017, 11:10 AM
I don't think his body can take 36 minutes a game, I don't know that he can take 25 minutes a game.

He still makes some significant defensive mistakes.

I didn't want him on the Warriors because I saw him break his team's offense and defense many times in the past (not just Shaqtin') ... I'm happy to say I was wrong.

He's a LOT better now than he was at the start of the year, but he's still got a long way to go to play as a starter.

I think his best situation is being part of a center rotation.

COOLbeans
05-05-2017, 11:47 AM
He has the talent to be a starter and will eventually have significant playoff experience. His body may not be able to take it, but he can definitely can be an important big off the bench or limited starter in the rotation.

krazylegz
05-05-2017, 11:59 AM
who is javale mcgee?

lol, please
05-05-2017, 08:09 PM
I think hes a starter in this league. everytime i see him play i think about shaqtin a fool and how much that helped the Warriors this year. Dude was supposed to be a borderline allstar player and fortunately his reputation was so bad that hes in the position hes in, and now will compete for a championship.

hes a blue chip athlete with a very good basketball pedigree. Dude might actually get paid a little next year

Well said. Good post.

More-Than-Most
05-07-2017, 05:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGdmnMxe0E

:shrug:

Vee-Rex
05-07-2017, 09:56 AM
I'd love for him to get significant minutes in a Cavs/Warriors rematch. I think Tristan neutralizes his offensive impact (which is nothing outside of hustle and lobs) and I think his mistakes on defense could be enormous. Cavs are no longer just a team that only runs ISO plays - we're running our best offensive system in franchise history, and JaVale would be seeing a ton of time on the perimeter.

I'm excited.

TrueFan420
05-07-2017, 03:58 PM
I'd love for him to get significant minutes in a Cavs/Warriors rematch. I think Tristan neutralizes his offensive impact (which is nothing outside of hustle and lobs) and I think his mistakes on defense could be enormous. Cavs are no longer just a team that only runs ISO plays - we're running our best offensive system in franchise history, and JaVale would be seeing a ton of time on the perimeter.

I'm excited.
Eh I doubt he'd be pulled out to the perimeter regularly as he would be used for certain match ups only. He has put up good numbers in limited minutes but he hasn't received more minutes because of reasons you stated. Offensively he is just getting lobs and hustle points. Defensively he's just there to block some shots but isn't great in the post. More minutes expose these issues. Limited minutes maximize the strengths.

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 06:01 PM
I don't think his body can take 36 minutes a game, I don't know that he can take 25 minutes a game.

He still makes some significant defensive mistakes.

I didn't want him on the Warriors because I saw him break his team's offense and defense many times in the past (not just Shaqtin') ... I'm happy to say I was wrong.

He's a LOT better now than he was at the start of the year, but he's still got a long way to go to play as a starter.

I think his best situation is being part of a center rotation.

Pretty much this. GSW has maximized the good things about him and minimized his issues. He is a good rotation piece at this point, but to say that he'll ever be a starter given his absurdly low basketball IQ is kind of ridiculous. But he's still a really important piece for the Warriors this season. There's a reason the lineups he plays in tend to do really well. He's a different dimension for them offensively, and he's sort of their antidote to small ball opponents. If, say, Houston tried to play Ryan Anderson at center to maximize their spacing, the Dubs would just lob them to death with JaVale. You have to have a rim-protector on the floor against him because he's so freakishly athletic and Golden State's passing is so good that he'll kill you in the pick-and-roll otherwise.

tp13baby
05-07-2017, 06:42 PM
He plays in a great system with great players. He is going to excel. Playing 25 minutes a game, Denver tried that and he doesn't have the concentration to put great series together for that time period

lol, please
05-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Pretty much this. GSW has maximized the good things about him and minimized his issues. He is a good rotation piece at this point, but to say that he'll ever be a starter given his absurdly low basketball IQ is kind of ridiculous. But he's still a really important piece for the Warriors this season. There's a reason the lineups he plays in tend to do really well. He's a different dimension for them offensively, and he's sort of their antidote to small ball opponents. If, say, Houston tried to play Ryan Anderson at center to maximize their spacing, the Dubs would just lob them to death with JaVale. You have to have a rim-protector on the floor against him because he's so freakishly athletic and Golden State's passing is so good that he'll kill you in the pick-and-roll otherwise.

Pretty much. Good post.

nastynice
05-07-2017, 09:09 PM
given his absurdly low basketball IQ

Uhh..hmm, lol. He seems to be in the right spot at the right time very regularly. Forget low, he actually seems to have a higher than avg iq. Great at getting on and off bodies vs finding space at the right times and off the right switches

Quinnsanity
05-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Uhh..hmm, lol. He seems to be in the right spot at the right time very regularly. Forget low, he actually seems to have a higher than avg iq. Great at getting on and off bodies vs finding space at the right times and off the right switches

Really disagree with this. He is the Warrior I see getting lost most often by far, though that's something of an unfair bar since everyone on that team plays such smart D. I think the Warriors have done a great job of simplifying the game for him, at least relative to the rest of the team, but it's pretty telling that the Warriors have their third lowest defensive rating with JaVale on the floor of any player who played more than 100 minutes. It's workable, clearly. But he really hasn't been very good for them defensively. It's the offense where he's shined. They have a 121.4 ORtg with him on the floor, higher than any other Warrior (Curry is at like 118), and I believe higher than any player in the league beyond a very basic minutes threshold. He's been really valuable catching lobs for them.

COOLbeans
05-07-2017, 10:38 PM

He wouldnt play for the Warriors if his IQ was absurdly low. people see things on tnt and take it as fact. I know I did prior to watching every game hes played this year. Hes a talented player excelling on a championship team. There were questions about whether hed even make the team this year because of his reputation. Id say, his career has been officially resurrected.

Scoots
05-07-2017, 11:31 PM

He's not stupid, but his instincts are not good. He's only on the floor when Iguodala is in and Iguodala and Green are constantly telling him what to do. He's gifted in a lot of ways, but court vision and making quick decisions are not among his gifts.

jason
05-08-2017, 01:26 AM
He seems to give the team a huge spark to the team in few minutes. Happened a lot against the Trailblazers

LOb0
05-08-2017, 01:51 AM
To think playing with 4 all stars could make you look better than you are.

Sly Guy
05-08-2017, 12:57 PM
I watched the last warriors game, he still makes bone headed plays. Trying to one-hand alley oop scoop shot in traffic instead of coming down and getting a high percentage look. SMH.

He always has me shaking my head for 1-2 plays per game, and those types of plays hold him back. You'd think he'd learn by now, but he hasn't. I don't know what it is with him, but it's the whole reason why shaq picked on him for so long. He has all the physical gifts, but his decision making has always left much to be desired.

tredigs
05-08-2017, 02:49 PM
He's a huge positive for them. Gives them 10-15 minutes of action, allowing Dray to rest while keeping athleticism on the floor, and just consistently delivers. He's blocking shots, getting boards, is great in the PnR, and never turns the ball over. It gives them another dimension they were lacking, and they just flat out play better when he's in the game. You'll take the random bonehead highlight play from him given all the positives he consistently offers. I'd actually rather see him playing 15-20 mpg instead of 10-15. Zaza has been fine, but Javale is better. Granted, Zaza really only starts the halves and is subbed at the 6 minute mark.

BKLYNpigeon
05-08-2017, 02:53 PM

ehh.. he's a bench player thats benefiting by playing with 4 allstars.

He's a Hustle player that can give you 15min. Finishes around the rim well and decent rebounder. if you watch the Warriors, Javale only plays in favorable match ups.

Defense is sketch, buys every pump fake, doesn't move his feet that well. Javale is a giraffe and bit uncoordinated.

hes a poor mans Clint Capella. lol

that being said, he's going to get a nice 2-3 year deal by someone.

nastynice
05-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Really disagree with this. He is the Warrior I see getting lost most often by far, though that's something of an unfair bar since everyone on that team plays such smart D. I think the Warriors have done a great job of simplifying the game for him, at least relative to the rest of the team, but it's pretty telling that the Warriors have their third lowest defensive rating with JaVale on the floor of any player who played more than 100 minutes. It's workable, clearly. But he really hasn't been very good for them defensively. It's the offense where he's shined. They have a 121.4 ORtg with him on the floor, higher than any other Warrior (Curry is at like 118), and I believe higher than any player in the league beyond a very basic minutes threshold. He's been really valuable catching lobs for them.

Oh, tbh I wasn't really thinking of his d. I was just thinking about how he be working on o. Thinking back I really don't remember him being any kinda defensive liability, he's a great paint presence. Could have sloppy rotations tho, I don't know never really paid attention

Scoots
05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Oh, tbh I wasn't really thinking of his d. I was just thinking about how he be working on o. Thinking back I really don't remember him being any kinda defensive liability, he's a great paint presence. Could have sloppy rotations tho, I don't know never really paid attention

He's not particularly good at anything on D other than being tall and athletic so he manages to get blocks and occasionally get in the way.

He's not a bad defender, but he doesn't have the defensive IQ of Zaza by a LONG way. If Zaza was as athletic and big as JaVale he'd be an all-star and not just because of where he's from.

On offense it's a different situation. He moves well and gets in position for the lob and cuts, he's reasonable at moving the ball, and doesn't gum up the works like he might. He doesn't do that great at setting picks but he's getting better. He's progressed more on offense than defense since the start of the year.

Zaza is a better passer and sets a physical tone and is the best pick setter on the team.

West is a MUCH better passer and the best fundamental offensive player at center on the team, but his lateral speed makes him struggle on defense occasionally.

lol, please
05-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Oh, tbh I wasn't really thinking of his d.

You don't have to lie to kick it nastynice, I know you had that d on your mind.

;)

nastynice
05-10-2017, 11:34 AM

cmellofan15
05-11-2017, 03:48 PM
The dude sucks he just plays for the warriors that's all.

Yanks All Day
05-11-2017, 03:56 PM
He's perfect for the role he's being asked to play. JaVale McGee is an energy center who can run the floor with any big man in basketball and protect the rim. He knows exactly who he is- a defense and energy big. He doesn't need a mid-range jumper or a back-to-the-basket skill set. His job isn't to score. There will NEVER be a set play run for him that doesn't involve a lob at the rim for a dunk. He's asked to neutralize the big man on the other team when opponents try to go big on Golden State. The Warriors only need 10-12 solid minutes out of him per game because of the style of basketball they play. I'm not sure he'd be more effective elsewhere because that would likely mean he's asked to play an expanded role on offense.

Teams like the Warriors, Rockets, and Cavaliers suit his game perfectly. Anyone else? Probably not so much.

That being said, I'm very curious to see how he'd perform in a series vs. Cleveland. I'd think he actually matches up very favorably against a Tristan Thompson because of his length and athleticism. I do think, however, that a Channing Frye would be a terrible matchup for JaVale because of the ability to stretch the flood and keep him away from the rim, where he belongs. It'll be an interesting game of chess.

Hawkeye15
05-11-2017, 04:23 PM

no, he doesn't.

COOLbeans
05-11-2017, 04:49 PM
no, he doesn't.

Would you say he has a larger basketball IQ then you?

Im not sure a lot of NBA players could play for this Warriors team. How many games have you watched with him this year btw?

Scoots
05-11-2017, 05:38 PM
He's perfect for the role he's being asked to play. JaVale McGee is an energy center who can run the floor with any big man in basketball and protect the rim. He knows exactly who he is- a defense and energy big. He doesn't need a mid-range jumper or a back-to-the-basket skill set. His job isn't to score. There will NEVER be a set play run for him that doesn't involve a lob at the rim for a dunk. He's asked to neutralize the big man on the other team when opponents try to go big on Golden State. The Warriors only need 10-12 solid minutes out of him per game because of the style of basketball they play. I'm not sure he'd be more effective elsewhere because that would likely mean he's asked to play an expanded role on offense.

Teams like the Warriors, Rockets, and Cavaliers suit his game perfectly. Anyone else? Probably not so much.

That being said, I'm very curious to see how he'd perform in a series vs. Cleveland. I'd think he actually matches up very favorably against a Tristan Thompson because of his length and athleticism. I do think, however, that a Channing Frye would be a terrible matchup for JaVale because of the ability to stretch the flood and keep him away from the rim, where he belongs. It'll be an interesting game of chess.

He's not bad guarding on the wing ... but motion messes him up, but Iguodala and Green are very vocal and switch a lot so they usually move him back onto someone he can cover more easily fairly quickly.

Saddletramp
05-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Im not sure a lot of NBA players could play for this Warriors team. How many games have you watched with him this year btw?

Lol. Why would that remotely matter in any way, shape, or form? Jeez, you people are just......man.

Storch
05-11-2017, 08:09 PM
If your teammates are steph, klay, dray, and durant and you are an athletic center you will over perform. And that's all thats happening here.

TrueFan420
05-11-2017, 08:27 PM
If your teammates are steph, klay, dray, and durant and you are an athletic center you will over perform. And that's all thats happening here.

That could said about CP3. See Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan.

cmellofan15
05-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Lmao did someone seriously say that he would fit on the Rockets, warriors and cavs? Yeah so would any other Nba player.

flea
05-11-2017, 10:33 PM
He's tall, athletic, and stupid. There's always at least 3 or 4 of those guys in the NBA at any given time because of how important big men are in basketball. He's not any better than Brandan Wright or Larry Sanders - he just plays on a team where guarding the weakside block is the lowest priority of any team. He'll get pulled over with some crack and a handgun in the offseason and a few Warrior homers will say "but what could have been in this tragic career" but he's just not that good.

Scoots
05-11-2017, 10:59 PM
He's tall, athletic, and stupid. There's always at least 3 or 4 of those guys in the NBA at any given time because of how important big men are in basketball. He's not any better than Brandan Wright or Larry Sanders - he just plays on a team where guarding the weakside block is the lowest priority of any team. He'll get pulled over with some crack and a handgun in the offseason and a few Warrior homers will say "but what could have been in this tragic career" but he's just not that good.

Before you reply look what I've said about him earlier in this thread.

He's not stupid ... but his basketball IQ is limited.

He IS that good ... for 10 minutes a night on THIS team ... and he knows it too.

Scoots
05-11-2017, 11:01 PM
From what flea said ... I just realized we could see McGee vs Sanders in the finals.

Scoots
05-11-2017, 11:06 PM
Oh, and the Warriors use centers to set solid screens ... and McGee sets soft sloppy screens more often than not.

Saddletramp
05-12-2017, 01:31 AM
From what flea said ... I just realized we could see McGee vs Sanders in the finals.

Didn't Sanders get cut a few weeks after he signed? Yeah, that didn't last long.

COOLbeans
05-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Lol. Why would that remotely matter in any way, shape, or form? Jeez, you people are just......man.

get off hawkeye15's nuts

Scoots
05-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Didn't Sanders get cut a few weeks after he signed? Yeah, that didn't last long.

Wow, I missed that ... I knew he never got any PT in the games I saw ... now I know why :)

Cut for missing a bus supposedly ... that must have been the last straw.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2017, 11:13 AM
He's a limited player that does a specific set of things well. GS is loaded enough that they can put him in those spots to thrive.

Hawkeye15
05-12-2017, 02:39 PM

I would feel very comfortable matching wits with JaVale McGee when it comes to basketball haha

I have watched plenty of McGee to know he isn't very bright. He fills a role he is asked to do, even if he is an idiot. With his size/athletic ability, even average IQ, and he would be a stud.

Saddletramp
05-12-2017, 03:00 PM
get off hawkeye15's nuts

Calling out an idiotic question isn't being on anyone's nuts. It's simply calling out an idiotic question.

Vee-Rex
05-12-2017, 03:25 PM
I just question how his defense would hold vs. an elite offensive team.

Take the Cavs for example. We have a 9-man playoff rotation. Every single guy is currently shooting elite from 3-point range (except for TT and Kyrie obviously) in these playoffs:

TT: doesn't count
Love: 40.5% 3pt
LeBron: 46.8% 3pt
JR: 44.1% 3pt
Kyrie: 28.1% 3pt
Frye: 55.2% 3pt
Korver: 48.5% 3pt
Shumpert: 40% 3pt
Williams: 60% 3pt

Obviously, these numbers shouldn't sustain, particularly when the Cavs are faced against a strong defense such as the Warriors. But it shows that you don't wanna leave these guys open. I have strong belief that if JaVale isn't locked in and defending the PnR/PnP to his best ability, or doesn't take the best action against the many off-ball screens/slips and sets that the Cavs heavily utilize (we are a scarier offensive team now than ever before), he could be exploited.

I wouldn't expect Kyrie's slump to last either.

Not saying JaVale can't handle it but I think it'll be interesting to see how he does vs. the Cavs (and Spurs too).

hugepatsfan
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
I just question how his defense would hold vs. an elite offensive team.

Take the Cavs for example. We have a 9-man playoff rotation. Every single guy is currently shooting elite from 3-point range (except for TT and Kyrie obviously) in these playoffs:

TT: doesn't count
Love: 40.5% 3pt
LeBron: 46.8% 3pt
JR: 44.1% 3pt
Kyrie: 28.1% 3pt
Frye: 55.2% 3pt
Korver: 48.5% 3pt
Shumpert: 40% 3pt
Williams: 60% 3pt

Obviously, these numbers shouldn't sustain, particularly when the Cavs are faced against a strong defense such as the Warriors. But it shows that you don't wanna leave these guys open. I have strong belief that if JaVale isn't locked in and defending the PnR/PnP to his best ability, or doesn't take the best action against the many off-ball screens/slips and sets that the Cavs heavily utilize (we are a scarier offensive team now than ever before), he could be exploited.

I wouldn't expect Kyrie's slump to last either.

Not saying JaVale can't handle it but I think it'll be interesting to see how he does vs. the Cavs (and Spurs too).

I mean, I can't imagine he'd match up with anyone other than TT there who doesn't shoot so I don't think that will be an issue. He only plays like 10 minutes a game and considering TT's rebounding is a problem area for GS in that matchup I'd be shocked if they don't line it up so 100% of his minutes come against him.

I know CLE can run some plays to get him in a switch but that's really no different than any other team does to centers. CLE's shooters are better than most teams but philosophically and stylistically it wouldn't be anything unusual for him to get screened and such.

Vee-Rex
05-12-2017, 04:28 PM
I mean, I can't imagine he'd match up with anyone other than TT there who doesn't shoot so I don't think that will be an issue. He only plays like 10 minutes a game and considering TT's rebounding is a problem area for GS in that matchup I'd be shocked if they don't line it up so 100% of his minutes come against him.

I know CLE can run some plays to get him in a switch but that's really no different than any other team does to centers. CLE's shooters are better than most teams but philosophically and stylistically it wouldn't be anything unusual for him to get screened and such.

That's true. The Cavs do run lineups with just all shooters (Frye/Love, LeBron, Korver, Williams), but it should be an easy adjustment made by the Warriors since they have their own suite of effective rotations and could sit McGee during that time. And who knows, on paper it might seem like a bad matchup to have him guarding anyone but TT, but the game could play out differently.

I wonder if the absence of Kerr would have any impact on the Warriors adjustments throughout the series.

Scoots
05-12-2017, 04:43 PM
That's true. The Cavs do run lineups with just all shooters (Frye/Love, LeBron, Korver, Williams), but it should be an easy adjustment made by the Warriors since they have their own suite of effective rotations and could sit McGee during that time. And who knows, on paper it might seem like a bad matchup to have him guarding anyone but TT, but the game could play out differently.

I wonder if the absence of Kerr would have any impact on the Warriors adjustments throughout the series.

The funny thing about Kerr coaching ... Green is MUCH better scoring when Kerr isn't on the bench. I think the issues are more likely on offense than D with Kerr missing.

Bostonjorge
05-12-2017, 04:47 PM
His only offense is when Green sets him up with the lob pass.

nastynice
05-12-2017, 11:27 PM
He's a limited player that does a specific set of things well. GS is loaded enough that they can put him in those spots to thrive.

This. He's solid at what he does, he's a solid big, and he can be a spark and alter how teams have to approach us.