PDA

View Full Version : Rank All of the Coaches

Quinnsanity
05-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Someone insulted Doc in another thread. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, I don't even have him in my top 10 as you'll see, he's certainly flawed, but **** it, let's have a coaching thread:

1. Pop
2. Carlisle
3. Stevens
4. Spoelstra
5. Kerr
6. Budenholzer
7. D'Antoni
8. Stotts
9. Snyder
10. Clifford
11. Doc
12. Thibs
13. Brooks
14. Malone
15. Walton
16. Atkinson
17. Vogel
18. Fizdale
19. Van Gundy
20. Kidd
21. Lue
22. Donovan
23. Joerger
24. Hornacek
25. Casey
26. Brown
27. Watson
28. Gentry
29. McMillan
30. Hoiberg

Boom. There's my list. People are gonna see Clifford's too high. People are gonna say Lue is too low. Curious what people think of Thibs at this point, he just had a terrible coaching year. Let's do this.

BKLYNpigeon
05-03-2017, 02:02 AM
lol, that list is flawed.

theres no way of really ranking the best coaches. Other then Wins, longevity and reputation. Unless you can get coaches to all have the same rosters, theres no way of making a true list.

aman_13
05-03-2017, 02:10 AM

theres no way of really ranking the best coaches. Other then Wins, longevity and reputation. Unless you can get coaches to all have the same rosters, theres no way of making a true list.

+1

FOXHOUND
05-03-2017, 02:25 AM

Yup.

It's also hard to knock Doc when he's 15th all time in wins, one of only 10 in that top 15 to win a championship and one of only 7 in that top 15 with a overall winning record in the postseason. His career win % of .579 also ranks 8th among that group.

People like to bash him, but Doc is pretty damn good and proven.

Oakmont_4
05-03-2017, 06:42 AM

They don't need to have the same roster to prove who's better. Lue inherited a team that went to the championship. A team that has the best player in the league. A top 5 PG. A top 10 PF. They're loaded with good players and have spent a TON of money on that roster. He won a championship with them, so he's definitely a good coach.

But without the same roster Stevens is better. He's taken a team that's in year 4 of a rebuild to the #1 seed with no legit franchise player. Not one player on this team even sniffs top 10-15 at their position. They have 1 go to scorer who can't play a lick of defense and an all around good big man, who's not an aggressive, take over the game type guy.

What Stevens has done is FAR more impressive and speaks to his coaching ability than what Lou has done. Completely different rosters and results. But you can definitively say which has been better and which is more impressive.

Oakmont_4
05-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Someone insulted Doc in another thread. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, I don't even have him in my top 10 as you'll see, he's certainly flawed, but **** it, let's have a coaching thread:

1. Pop
2. Carlisle
3. Stevens
4. Spoelstra
5. Kerr
6. Budenholzer
7. D'Antoni
8. Stotts
9. Snyder
10. Clifford
11. Doc
12. Thibs
13. Brooks
14. Malone
15. Walton
16. Atkinson
17. Vogel
18. Fizdale
19. Van Gundy
20. Kidd
21. Lue
22. Donovan
23. Joerger
24. Hornacek
25. Casey
26. Brown
27. Watson
28. Gentry
29. McMillan
30. Hoiberg

Boom. There's my list. People are gonna see Clifford's too high. People are gonna say Lue is too low. Curious what people think of Thibs at this point, he just had a terrible coaching year. Let's do this.

I still like Thibs but yes, disappointing year for him. For a guy who's known as a defensive coach, his team got worse under his direction. I think that team is just very young and immature. He needs another year with them before I make a final judgment on him.

Doc is too high. One of the most overrated coaches in the NBA. I don't want to hear excuses, the fact that his Clippers haven't gotten out of the second round is a joke. He had 1 championship season with a stacked team in Boston. A team that essentially ran themselves. KG and Pierce took over that team, Doc was just along for the ride. It's actually sad he wasn't able to get more than 1 ship from that group. He should've gotten at least 2 probably 3.

The list is pretty good aside from that. Couple guys I'd bump up and a couple I'd bump down

Up
Kidd
Donovan

Down
Clifford
Walton

warfelg
05-03-2017, 07:50 AM

Another place is that there is a difference to what coaches are asked to do.

How do we compare Kerr, who's a good coach based on wins and playoff advancement; to someone like Brett Brown, who's a good coach based on the development of players and skills they learn?

Because if you were to ask me, the way guys have improved under Brown (Satuskis, McConnell, Jeremi Grant, Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes, Covington, Embiid), Brown has been a very successful coach. They are all better players now then they were when they came to the Sixers.

But the question (again) becomes; how do you stack up what a coach on a bad team does against a coach on a good tem?

So using wins/longevity/reputation isn't a great way either.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2017, 10:10 AM

1. Pop
2. Carlisle
3. Stevens
4. Spoelstra
5. Kerr
6. Budenholzer
7. D'Antoni
8. Stotts
9. Snyder
10. Clifford
11. Doc
12. Thibs
13. Brooks
14. Malone
15. Walton
16. Atkinson
17. Vogel
18. Fizdale
19. Van Gundy
20. Kidd
21. Lue
22. Donovan
23. Joerger
24. Hornacek
25. Casey
26. Brown
27. Watson
28. Gentry
29. McMillan
30. Hoiberg

I already have my gripes with Thib's, but I have to give him another year or two before I set my opinion on his coaching.

mnatiq
05-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Why is Casey so low? He took a crap team and turned it around and raps are consistently making the playoffs and winning games, just not against the cavs.

KnicksorBust
05-03-2017, 11:39 AM

1. Pop
2. Carlisle
3. Stevens
4. Spoelstra
5. Kerr
6. Budenholzer
7. D'Antoni
8. Stotts
9. Snyder
10. Clifford
11. Doc
12. Thibs
13. Brooks
14. Malone
15. Walton
16. Atkinson
17. Vogel
18. Fizdale
19. Van Gundy
20. Kidd
21. Lue
22. Donovan
23. Joerger
24. Hornacek
25. Casey
26. Brown
27. Watson
28. Gentry
29. McMillan
30. Hoiberg

Stotts and Clifford are the hidden gems of the NBA. Stevens was last year. I was trying to sell people on him as a top 3 coach then. I really like your list. I can't comment too much on the other coaches of the bad teams but for my bad team Hornacek was a mess. He ran our GM's offense and he ran it terribly. Had no control of the team. The roster didn't respect him. And Porzingis is ready to bail during FA. I don't see how he can be anything but bottom 3.

Hawkeye15
05-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Why is Casey so low? He took a crap team and turned it around and raps are consistently making the playoffs and winning games, just not against the cavs.

I think Casey has been in the "underrated" conversation long enough. I don't think he is anything more than an average coach, but he never seems to get his due either.

valade16
05-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I think given the difficulty of the task the list is fairly good. I's interesting that Spoelstra is getting far more credit for his coaching ability now barely missing the playoffs than he did winning Championships lol.

ewing
05-03-2017, 12:58 PM
I think given the difficulty of the task the list is fairly good. I's interesting that Spoelstra is getting far more credit for his coaching ability now barely missing the playoffs than he did winning Championships lol.

Bron gets all credit, everyone else gets all blame. I think he is a damn good coach and really had Wade and working without the ball like neither ever had for a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
05-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Snyder is my boy as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prodigy
05-03-2017, 01:49 PM
What Stevens has done is FAR more impressive and speaks to his coaching ability than what Lou has done. Completely different rosters and results. But you can definitively say which has been better and which is more impressive.

Bad comparison. Stevens has much more of a track record lol, ur picking on a very young coach their with what little over a year of experience lol.

Quinnsanity
05-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Another place is that there is a difference to what coaches are asked to do.

How do we compare Kerr, who's a good coach based on wins and playoff advancement; to someone like Brett Brown, who's a good coach based on the development of players and skills they learn?

Because if you were to ask me, the way guys have improved under Brown (Satuskis, McConnell, Jeremi Grant, Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes, Covington, Embiid), Brown has been a very successful coach. They are all better players now then they were when they came to the Sixers.

But the question (again) becomes; how do you stack up what a coach on a bad team does against a coach on a good tem?

So using wins/longevity/reputation isn't a great way either.

This is all valid, and obviously this isn't a debate with objectively right and wrong answers, but I think it's interesting to get a sense of how people in general feel about all of the coaches. That list above was just my take on it having watched all of their teams, but it's not like I could extensively research each. It's impossible to get this list right.

His offense makes me want to jump into a volcano. If you can't get your team to pass I can't take you seriously as a coach.

I really thought Spoelstra was a bad coach at first. And maybe he was. He really improved throughout the LeBron tenure. He didn't get the lineups right until year 3, the defense until year 2, and the offense until after LeBron left. But he's an incredible player developer who runs really interesting schemes on both sides of the ball. He was a bit overwhelmed early in the LeBron tenure, but he has turned himself into a great coach.

Stotts and Clifford are the hidden gems of the NBA. Stevens was last year. I was trying to sell people on him as a top 3 coach then. I really like your list. I can't comment too much on the other coaches of the bad teams but for my bad team Hornacek was a mess. He ran our GM's offense and he ran it terribly. Had no control of the team. The roster didn't respect him. And Porzingis is ready to bail during FA. I don't see how he can be anything but bottom 3.

I loved Hornacek so much in Phoenix. I wish Phil would just let him run his own team. But I'm glad someone else appreciates Stotts and Clifford. They're both so underrated. The offense Stotts runs is so beautiful, and Clifford's teams are just so well prepared and make so few mental mistakes.

valade16
05-03-2017, 04:40 PM
I loved Hornacek so much in Phoenix. I wish Phil would just let him run his own team. But I'm glad someone else appreciates Stotts and Clifford. They're both so underrated. The offense Stotts runs is so beautiful, and Clifford's teams are just so well prepared and make so few mental mistakes.

As a Blazer fan I love Stotts. He is very good.

mngopher35
05-03-2017, 04:50 PM
I still like Thibs but yes, disappointing year for him. For a guy who's known as a defensive coach, his team got worse under his direction. I think that team is just very young and immature. He needs another year with them before I make a final judgment on him.

I already have my gripes with Thib's, but I have to give him another year or two before I set my opinion on his coaching.

Yup, he had a rough year but I want to wait and see what happens next year. It seemed like mid season we had started to figure it out defensively then just fell right back down by the end of the year. I want to give him a chance still because if he gets this team playing defense we will finally be good.

Lists like this are pretty tough but overall I think you have most of the good coaches at the top and the lesser ones at the bottom. I am interested to see how Lue does when Cle really gets challenged again, right now I find it impossible to judge him. I actually think he deserves some credit for some of the plays they had last year and the effort/motivation this team seemed to have overall in the playoffs so I don't want to just write him off. I get they under performed in the RS but I also don't think that is what he is coaching for.

tp13baby
05-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Kidd needs to be 25 or less. He is brutal.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Honestly, they probably hired Thibs two years early.