PDA

View Full Version : High and Tight: Red Sox (13-11) vs Orioles (15-8)

RedSoxtober
05-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Game 1: Porcello (1-3, 4.75) vs Bundy (3-1, 1.65)
Game 2: Sale (1-2, 1.19) vs Asher (1-1, 2.16)
Game 3: Pomeranz (2-1, 4.15) vs Gausman (1-2, 7.50)
Game 4: Wright (1-3, 8.25) vs Jiminez (1-1, 7.43)

bosox1899
05-01-2017, 09:40 PM
I got nothing else to say about the lack of defense, offense, pitching, etc... of this team. We should at least win tomorrow but with this offense, i kind of doubt it

Soxfan85
05-01-2017, 10:05 PM
This needs to end

Updating after the Benintendi throwing error: 11 E's last 6 games, 7 E's in the last 3 games. 22 on season - as many as BAL & NYY combined.

@TomCaron

Petertherock
05-01-2017, 10:07 PM
I would rather watch a high school team at this point. The slop sox can't even play basic defense or run bases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bosston
05-02-2017, 09:21 AM
I got nothing else to say about the lack of defense, offense, pitching, etc... of this team. We should at least win tomorrow but with this offense, i kind of doubt it

great...

I would rather watch a high school team at this point. The slop sox can't even play basic defense or run bases.

I heard Boston College H.S. is decent this year... feel free to follow them.

On another note...

I mean, does it make you feel any better to come onto an online forum and complain about a baseball team in late April / early May? Anyone with the slightest knowledge about baseball will know that April is an extended Spring training except the games count.

Last time I checked the baseball season was a marathon, not a sprint. Out of the 112 World Series won do you know how many teams with the best record in April won? Google it.

Betts hasn't started hitting, Benintendi is an absolute stud, Sale is the real deal, E-Rod has been pitching great, Porcello will be fine (he was painting corners like Picasso last night), Price is coming back, Pomeranz is pitching well, Kimbrel looks good, Carson Smith will be back mid season, if we get anything out of Panda it'll be a cherry on top. 2/3 from the reigning W.S. Champs...

Stop complaining... they will be fine.

Petertherock
05-02-2017, 09:44 AM
great...

On another note...

I mean, does it make you feel any better to come onto an online forum and complain about a baseball team in late April / early May? Anyone with the slightest knowledge about baseball will know that April is an extended Spring training except the games count.

Last time I checked the baseball season was a marathon, not a sprint. Out of the 112 World Series won do you know how many teams with the best record in April won? Google it.

Betts hasn't started hitting, Benintendi is an absolute stud, Sale is the real deal, E-Rod has been pitching great, Porcello will be fine (he was painting corners like Picasso last night), Price is coming back, Pomeranz is pitching well, Kimbrel looks good, Carson Smith will be back mid season, if we get anything out of Panda it'll be a cherry on top. 2/3 from the reigning W.S. Champs...

You have your rose color glasses on. The games in April and May count just as much as the ones in August and September. It's true you can't win a playoff spot in April...but you can put yourself in a spot that makes it hard to impossible to get one. We aren't there yet, that's true, but we can't score runs. Our defense is throwing the ball around the field like a snowball fight to use Pedroia's words.

The only good thing about this team is the pitching. If we are going to make a run at anything we need a big bat and a quality 3rd baseman. Maybe when Brock Holt gets back he can slide back into the 3rd base role but I am sure they are going to stick with Panda since he's getting paid the big money.

Petertherock
05-02-2017, 09:48 AM
On another note, I definitely believe Betts was plunked intentionally last night. It was the fastest pitch he threw all night. The only thing I will say is at least he didn't throw at Betts' head. But I still think we need to actually drill Machado. Sale is the right guy to do it but please don't go for the head! We can't afford to have Sale thrown out and suspended.

Bosston
05-02-2017, 09:55 AM
On another note, I definitely believe Betts was plunked intentionally last night. It was the fastest pitch he threw all night. The only thing I will say is at least he didn't throw at Betts' head. But I still think we need to actually drill Machado. Sale is the right guy to do it but please don't go for the head! We can't afford to have Sale thrown out and suspended.

Betts was 100% hit on purpose... the pitch prior to the one that hit him was way inside and that's exactly where the catcher setup. I don't think that Mannys slide was intentional however... if you do it on purpose you don't try and hold the player up, not naturally at least.

RedSoxtober
05-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Be careful with generalizations. A lot of things have changed in MLB with respect to the path to the WS. Narrowing to more recent history suggests that in today's context, a strong start is pretty important. Since the first Wild Card was added (technically '94 but that WS was cancelled), only 7 WS winners were NOT in first place on May 1. Of the clubs that were not in first, one was 1/2 game out and two others were 1 game out.

The history of MLB is much more heavily weighted by the one-round (best team in the league) system that existed before the 1970's. In that older format, the games were more evenly distributed across the league and, by May 1, it was likely that you had not seen many of the other teams. That's why the history is different than what we see today.

BSF101
05-02-2017, 06:42 PM
I'll be happy if we split the series.

Green_Monster
05-02-2017, 07:21 PM
great...

On another note...

Yeah Porcello has been very good. You take out the huge outlier 8 run game and he has a 2.81 ERA.

bagwell368
05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Wow, what a mess...

Team playing poorly on D, stupid baserunning -- if we hit 7 GB by June 10th, wave goodbye to JF (thankfully). Playoff berths are not won in late April/early May - but they sure can be lost.

Baltimore owns us. I wouldn't use Sale to go after Machado. Wait until Sale is out or next game then hit one of the better hitters in the hip/butt

Stupid cable news - "Boston is so liberal, can't understand why they have these racists". No understanding of the class/education differences by town/hood. After the brawl when Bill Lee got hurt there were thousands yelling nasties at Rivers. The huge improvement since then isn't enough however.

Petertherock
05-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Glad Sale threw at Machado. I just wish he would have hit him. They threw at Betts and hit him. We should have got the same satisfaction. Nice to see HanRam getting hot. What a few monster shots he has had! Uggghhh....I hate Machado!!!!

Soxfan85
05-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Really happy we were able to give Sale run support. Sale is just amazing to watch.

papipapsmanny
05-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Throwing at Machado again is showing some pretty big immaturity on our part...... Honestly give it up... already threw 98 at his head

Bosston
05-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Great game by Sale, he's an absolute stud. All three pitches look identical coming out but he has a roughly 20mph difference in his pitches with a lot of movement. First pitch breaking ball, second pitch breaking ball, third pitch heater... I love it.

If you watched the game last night you'll see he was fired up... and we needed that intensity from SOMEONE. It rubs off... it gets everyone fired up. "this isn't a game this is war" is what he yelled after the first inning. Absolutely love this guy. I think getting Sale will make the entire pitching staff better, esp Price. I feel like they will learn from one another and if Sale, Price, and Porcello get it going it's going to be tough to beat them in a 7 game series.

As far as Hanley... I was at the game on Sat and that ball is somewhere in outer space, it was crushed. Good to see him warming up, again, its contagious.

Green_Monster
05-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Throwing at Machado again is showing some pretty big immaturity on our part...... Honestly give it up... already threw 98 at his head

They hit Betts the day before.

Why is it okay when they have the last shot but not when we do?

RedSoxtober
05-03-2017, 03:37 PM
I'm kinda done with the retaliation mentality in MLB myself. Whether or not you approve, you NEVER throw at someone's head.

RedSoxtober
05-03-2017, 03:37 PM
It’s not looking good for Steven Wright.
The knuckleballer is headed for a second opinion in New York on his ailing knee after the initial MRI suggested the injury was worse than first anticipated. It’s at a level where surgery is not being ruled out.

That has led the Red Sox to Kyle Kendrick.

The Red Sox are promoting the 32 year old righty from Triple-A Pawtucket, with Kendrick slated to get the start at Fenway Park against the Orioles Thursday night.

The righty has pitched in four games with Triple-A Pawtucket, totaling a 6.00 ERA in 27 innings. After a rough start, Kendrick has pitched very well in his last two appearances, combining to allow a total of three runs over 14 innings. His most recent start saw him give up just one hit over seven frames.weei.com

BSF101
05-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Now Sale could be looking at a suspension? Are you ****ing kidding me? So a Baltimore pitcher
hits one of our guys no suspension but Sale throws behind someone and its a suspension.

redsox12
05-03-2017, 04:08 PM
**** Baltimore and **** Machado

BSF101
05-03-2017, 04:33 PM
**** Baltimore and **** Machado

I use to have some respect for Machado and always thought he would look good here
but after his ***** rant last night I lost all respect for him, Not to mention their Manager
as that look you want to slap off his face.

Bosston
05-03-2017, 04:53 PM
I can look past Machados comments if he comes and plays 3b for us on a team friendly deal lol...

At the end of the day I can't blame the guy, his slide wasn't dirty, they threw at his head, then threw at him again. Put yourself in the guys shoes...

BSF101
05-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I can look past Machados comments if he comes and plays 3b for us on a team friendly deal lol...

At the end of the day I can't blame the guy, his slide wasn't dirty, they threw at his head, then threw at him again. Put yourself in the guys shoes...

I agree would love him here and I believe he didn't mean to hurt Pedroia but guys are gonna stickup
for their teammates and I believe this rival will last the rest of the yr. Can you imagine if these two teams
meet in the PO's? All hell would break loose. But maybe that's what BB needs a good old fashion hated rivalry.

redsox12
05-03-2017, 05:23 PM
I don't he's not the only good 3rd baseman out there. Let's see his numbers after he gets paid.

Petertherock
05-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Don't forget, they threw at Betts and hit him and they also threw at Benintendi's head. The thing I have an issue with is if you are going to throw at someone then hit them!

That would be ******** if Sale gets suspended. They throw at our guys and actually hit them and nothing happens to them. We just throw inside and not hit anyone and Torre the dirty cheating Yankee wants to suspend our players?? **** him!

Soxfan85
05-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Sale is not going to get Suspended. Rosenthal jumped the gun.

It was incorrect of me to call a Sale suspension “likely” in my initial report. I mistakenly made that leap based upon Torre’s comments.
@Ken_Rosenthal

Soxfan85
05-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Sorry I watched each frame that was intentional. Ball no where near the strike zone. After the release was aimed at Xander. Thats what the commish wanted.

Edit: Was a curve ball.

BSF101
05-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Don't forget, they threw at Betts and hit him and they also threw at Benintendi's head. The thing I have an issue with is if you are going to throw at someone then hit them!

That would be ******** if Sale gets suspended. They throw at our guys and actually hit them and nothing happens to them. We just throw inside and not hit anyone and Torre the dirty cheating Yankee wants to suspend our players?? **** him!

And they say the Sox vs Yankee rival is dead lol.

Soxfan85
05-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Need a big out here Kendricks

papipapsmanny
05-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Looks like we can be getting Price, Carson Smith, and Thornburg all back sometime during June. That is some serious talent

Petertherock
05-04-2017, 10:37 PM
I hate Machado. We should hit that SOB every time he comes up!!
(Relax, I know we can't really do that or else all our pitchers would be tossed and suspended lol)

soxer04
05-07-2017, 12:57 PM

I can look past Machado's comments and slide too. Heck, Price used to throw at Papi. I'd love it if he were a sox.

Regarding your "at the end of the day comment" however; "at the end of the day for me" was that I felt the slide "was dirty enough" (as the Red Sox even Pedroia did) to warrant getting thrown at (though not at the head).

Once they hit Betts that "invited" a further throw.

Machado has been in baseball long enough to know when he is sliding late vs not. Pedroia was on the opposite side fo the bag and his leg went up in the air. Why was he sliding late if he was trying to beat the throw from Xander? And to break up a potential throw for a double-play from Pedroia he would have to go over the bag to make contact. How else could he do it without lifting his leg?

Did you ever do something then immediately afterwards regret it? I don't believe Machado "meant to" hurt but imo he was over-exuberant. Thus deserved to get drilled. There should not have been a throw to the head. But with no contact to Machado - and then the O's drilled Betts - that "invites" the Sox to go after the O's again.