PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best Defender of Small Forwards Ever?

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Scottie Pippen? Kawhi? LeBron? Someone older school like Bobby Jones or Dave DeBusschere? Artest or Marion?

Someone who shall remain nameless claims that KG was better at defending small forwards than all of these guys. I just want to open that one up to the floor.

FlashBolt
04-29-2017, 12:07 AM
I think those three you mentioned were all great. bruce Bowen was an absolute pest too. Ron artest?

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 12:10 AM
I think those three you mentioned were all great. bruce Bowen was an absolute pest too. Ron artest?

Artest was crazy good for a few years but his peak was much shorter than the other guys mentioned.

I'm never sure how to evaluate Bowen. Duncan was such a transcendent help defender that everyone's job was that much easier on the Spurs in that era. I know he was really good, but I can't say for certain he's an all-timer. Like I wonder if someone like Marion, whose degree of difficulty in Phoenix was so much higher, could have slotted in with San Antonio and been even better. I don't have an answer for that, just throwing it out there.

FlashBolt
04-29-2017, 12:17 AM
Artest was crazy good for a few years but his peak was much shorter than the other guys mentioned.

I'm never sure how to evaluate Bowen. Duncan was such a transcendent help defender that everyone's job was that much easier on the Spurs in that era. I know he was really good, but I can't say for certain he's an all-timer. Like I wonder if someone like Marion, whose degree of difficulty in Phoenix was so much higher, could have slotted in with San Antonio and been even better. I don't have an answer for that, just throwing it out there.

I thought you just wanted a list of some of the best at it so I do think those two qualify.

Artest had a short stint but he definitely was right up there.
Bowen is a tricky one because he was "with" Duncan but he was always a good defender.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 12:46 AM
I thought you just wanted a list of some of the best at it so I do think those two qualify.

Artest had a short stint but he definitely was right up there.
Bowen is a tricky one because he was "with" Duncan but he was always a good defender.

Oh yea Bowen belongs on any list. I just struggle with his placement if we were to do direct rankings.

Honestly my main purpose with this thread was to point out IKH's ridiculous opinion that KG was a better defender of small forwards than Pippen, Kawhi etc...

Heediot
04-29-2017, 08:02 AM
Rodman bad boy days.

PowerHouse
04-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Rodman bad boy days.

+1

warfelg
04-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Bruce Bowen is a guy that I absolutely loved.

Iggy is criminally underrated in these discussions.

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2017, 09:34 AM
I think there were some players with a high peak defensively.... Artest for instance. LBJ as well (though his run at defensive eliteness seemed to be longer and seems to be something he can turn on and off). At their best, they were every bit as good as Pippen.

I think Marion had a long run there, but I'm reluctant to say he was as good as Pippen, but he also never played alongside a defensive juggernaut like Jordan either.

I'd say among the guys I've seen, it's between Pippen, Leonard, and Green, though Green is more diverse in his defensive ability. And Marion is right up there.

Pippen gets my first place vote.

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Rodman bad boy days.

Good pick... though I grew up on that... I always seem to remember Rodman covering PF like Malone during his Chi-town days, but like Green... he could pretty much cover any position, and in Detroit, with so many strong defensive big men, he often guarded the SF.

Great pick!

FOXHOUND
04-29-2017, 11:38 AM
Pippen or Kawhi.

tredigs
04-29-2017, 12:52 PM
When Rodman was younger he was arguably the best defender of MJ in their series (to give an idea of his versatility). In his later Bulls days he made the transition to bigger forwards and centers. But he is up there.

KG was a highly elite forward defender (both forwards) in his younger years, but I would not put him above Pippen/Rodman/Kawhi/Bowen or some others, and I don't think it's particularly close. Depending on the SF Jordan was as stifling as anyone, but if they were bigger it would be less dominant and he just simply spent less time on them due to Pip. Gun to my head I would take Kawhi.

ewing
04-29-2017, 01:17 PM
Doug Christie, Anthony Bonner, James Posey, Derek Mckey are some other guys

Shlumpledink
04-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Pippen is best.

Tg11
04-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Pippen and it is not even a question

IKnowHoops
04-29-2017, 06:59 PM
If we listen to what players say, then it's KG or Tony Allen. I'm gonna go with KG. Held prime Tmac to 4pts. Watched Jamal Mashburn dump 50 on Pippen.

ewing
04-29-2017, 07:01 PM
If we listen to what players say, then it's KG or Tony Allen. I'm gonna go with KG. Held prime Tmac to 4pts. Watched Jamal Mashburn dump 50 on Pippen.

I was going to say Tony but I thought people would say but he is a 2 guard. Allen was definitely a better one on one defender then Pippen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 07:08 PM
I was going to say Tony but I thought people would say but he is a 2 guard. Allen was definitely a better one on one defender then Pippen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TA at his peak was about as versatile a man-to-man defender as I've ever seen. At his size he shouldn't have been able to defend guys like KD or even Klay, yet he made both of them miserable. I wouldn't call him a better man defender than Pippen, but he's certainly up there on any list of top perimeter defenders.

Tg11
04-29-2017, 07:19 PM
Tony Allen

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 07:30 PM

The other three games Mashburn played against Pippen in that two-year period (the non-Jordan period):

5 of 19 for 13 points
5 of 15 for 16 points
7 of 23 for 21 points
Total: 17 of 57 (29% from the field), averaging 16.67 points
Total average in those seasons: 42.5 FG%, 24 PPG

Yea, Scottie Pippen sucks. Screw what everyone else in this thread says, screw what basically every credible basketball writer from his era says. Kevin Garnett, a 6'11'' power forward, is better at defending Scottie's position than Scottie is based on one quote (show me the Kobe quote before I give you any credit for it).

By the way, what's funniest about this is that you're treating T-Mac's word after one game as gospel. The two best offensive small forwards of all time are LeBron James and Larry Bird. LeBron says (http://www.slamonline.com/nba/lebron-james-says-kawhi-leonard-defends-best/) Kawhi defended him better than anyone, Bird says (http://www.masslive.com/sports/2014/07/q_a_michael_cooper_talks_about.html) Michael Cooper defended him better than anyone. So you're going by what the players say, but not what the BEST players say?

IKnowHoops
04-29-2017, 08:50 PM
The other three games Mashburn played against Pippen in that two-year period (the non-Jordan period):

5 of 19 for 13 points
5 of 15 for 16 points
7 of 23 for 21 points

Yea, Scottie Pippen sucks. Screw what everyone else in this thread says, screw what basically every credible basketball writer from his era says. Kevin Garnett, a 6'11'' power forward, is better at defending Scottie's position than Scottie is based on one quote (show me the Kobe quote before I give you any credit for it).

By the way, what's funniest about this is that you're treating T-Mac's word after one game as gospel. The two best offensive small forwards of all time are LeBron James and Larry Bird. LeBron says (http://www.slamonline.com/nba/lebron-james-says-kawhi-leonard-defends-best/) Kawhi defended him better than anyone, Bird says (http://www.masslive.com/sports/2014/07/q_a_michael_cooper_talks_about.html) Michael Cooper defended him better than anyone. So you're going by what the players say, but not what the BEST players say?

This is what people do when they loose an argument. Just go 100% the opposite way and scream "Pippen sucks" for effect.

Stop throwing a tantrum. Scottie was amazing. I was more impressed with the defense that KG could bring to the table...on Wing players especially.

Wtf would I care what everyone else thinks. You dont even know wtf your talking about in terms of KG, his timeline, and his ability to guard wing players during his MVP caliber season(s). So your one of these people who knows nothing of KG, and I am supposed to hold your opinion in a place that matters?!?! What kind of sense does that make.

Only people watching Wolves games was wolves fans as you have already illustrated for us with your remarks about KG and his MVP years being different than the years he was shutting down SF's.

I watched a lot of KG. He amazed me defensively when guarding SF. I saw it all the time for many years. You never did. You didn't know it existed. You still dont think he can. You are CLUELESS on this matter pertaining to KG.

You are arguing for one side without knowing the truth of the other...and yes it is a stupid thing to do but you are doing it anyway so I dont intend on changing your mind because you make it up before you even know the facts. From what I have seen, KG would be the last person any SF would want guarding them all night. Then the rest closely follow in whatever order.

IKnowHoops
04-29-2017, 08:57 PM

5 of 19 for 13 points
5 of 15 for 16 points
7 of 23 for 21 points

Wow bro...

WTF are you talking about.

Do time machine's exist wherever you are at. In your world do prime Bird and Prime Bron have the ability to go time travel to where Prime KG is, jump into a game, and play him for a few seasons?

And just incase that went over your head, they all played in different era"s. How the h--- would bird say that KG guarded him the best?

Secondly you keep harping on this, "your going off of what one player said". No! I'm going off what I have seen. That quote is just a bit of evidence that destroys your take of "I don't think he could". That take is trash and out the window you know that right?

IKnowHoops
04-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Sometimes you miss shots, some times you get D'ed up. I am a huge Tracy fan. I know what he can do on the court. The defense that I saw KG put on an athlete of Tracy's caliber was the most impressive defensive display on a wing that I have ever seen PERIOD. Tracy tried and tried and tried and could not get anything on KG. He was truly soned that game and we are talking Prime unstoppable tracy Mcgrady who can score from anywhere, can jump out of the building, can get to the hoop from the three point line in one dribble with his long arms. And he got shut down. And not missing shots shut down, but can't get shots off shut down. Never seen anything like it, and it was because KG was 7 foot with super long arms and was fast enough to stick with any SF.

tredigs
04-29-2017, 09:05 PM
@Hoops what players said KG was the best SF defender? If just T-Mac, then that rules out most the other guys we are discussing (Kawhi/Pip/Rodman etc etc) as he never went against them. Also, it's TMac. You hear this guy on TV?

tredigs
04-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Sometimes you miss shots, some times you get D'ed up. I am a huge Tracy fan. I know what he can do on the court. The defense that I saw KG put on an athlete of Tracy's caliber was the most impressive defensive display on a wing that I have ever seen PERIOD. Tracy tried and tried and tried and could not get anything on KG. He was truly soned that game and we are talking Prime unstoppable tracy Mcgrady who can score from anywhere, can jump out of the building, can get to the hoop from the three point line in one dribble with his long arms. And he got shut down. And not missing shots shut down, but can't get shots off shut down. Never seen anything like it, and it was because KG was 7 foot with super long arms and was fast enough to stick with any SF.

Bro, this was a reg season game. You have not seen 99.9% of games where other All Time great wing defenders over the ages would make you feel the same way. KG was a menace against forwards for years, but others were better, and for longer. Not "foolish" to mention his name but I'm not buying your reasoning as sound logic.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 09:37 PM
This is what people do when they loose an argument. Just go 100% the opposite way and scream "Pippen sucks" for effect.

Stop throwing a tantrum. Scottie was amazing. I was more impressed with the defense that KG could bring to the table...on Wing players especially.

Wtf would I care what everyone else thinks. You dont even know wtf your talking about in terms of KG, his timeline, and his ability to guard wing players during his MVP caliber season(s). So your one of these people who knows nothing of KG, and I am supposed to hold your opinion in a place that matters?!?! What kind of sense does that make.

Only people watching Wolves games was wolves fans as you have already illustrated for us with your remarks about KG and his MVP years being different than the years he was shutting down SF's.

I watched a lot of KG. He amazed me defensively when guarding SF. I saw it all the time for many years. You never did. You didn't know it existed. You still dont think he can. You are CLUELESS on this matter pertaining to KG.

You are arguing for one side without knowing the truth of the other...and yes it is a stupid thing to do but you are doing it anyway so I dont intend on changing your mind because you make it up before you even know the facts. From what I have seen, KG would be the last person any SF would want guarding them all night. Then the rest closely follow in whatever order.

Reading this and hearing that I'm the one throwing a tantrum is laughable. Learn grammar.

Could KG defend wings? Sure. KG was ****ing awesome, had really bothersome length and remarkable footwork and simply had the physical and mental talent to expand beyond the confines of his position. That doesn't mean playing KG at small forward wouldn't be wasteful. Magic Johnson COULD have played center full-time if his team was so inclined, doesn't mean it would have been a good idea. KG is one of the best big men of all time. If he's out on the perimeter playing man-to-man defense, chasing wings around screens, you're losing a lot of the things that made him great. He's probably the greatest defensive communicator of all time, not even Duncan was as good at orchestrating a defense and making sure everyone rotated properly. It's much harder to do that if you're always away from the basket. You lose the rim protection he gives you, which was never his strongest suit but was still very strong. You're wasting a lot of energy that he could be using on offense. It's just not the right way to use him, even if he could do it in a pinch. He's a power forward. He's best at playing power forward. He's a pretty versatile power forward, one who was out on the perimeter more than most in his time (he was never the standstill rim protector that like a Roy Hibbert was, he was pretty ahead of his time as far as help defense and even some switching goes), but he's still a power forward. If you're not playing him at power forward, or center since the two were practically interchangeable at that point, you're wasting a lot of what he brings to the table.

I do love the "I watched games and you didn't!!!!!!!!!" line of arguing though. It's always funny. Like if I'd never seen KG play why would I be picking fights about this? And why would I be arguing for Pippen, a player whose peak basically happened when I was a toddler and my main experience with him is through after the fact film study? Contrary to your belief, yes, I saw plenty of KG. Does that mean I've seen every random Thursday night against Milwaukee? No, it doesn't, but honestly I suspect you didn't either if you're really committed to this bit. I am perfectly aware of his strengths and weaknesses. I'd return the favor and ask you if you've ever watched Pippen, because well, if you had your first mention of him in this thread wouldn't be "watched Jamal Mashburn dump 50 on Pippen," but that's a stupid line of questioning. I think it's fair to assume anyone invested enough to be on this site has watched anyone they're prepared to argue about.

Just understand that you saying "I watched him and that's what I think!!!!!!!" is worthless. It shows that you're a fanboy who doesn't know how to coherently argue a point. It means nothing without actual evidence to back it up. It's no different than me saying "I watched Eric Snow and he was the best passer in NBA history!" The closest thing to evidence you've produced is one T-Mac quote, and if you really think players are totally unbiased and have given these things as much thought as professional writers and analysts, I would again point you to Michael Jordan picking James Worthy on his all time team.

Wow bro...

WTF are you talking about.

Do time machine's exist wherever you are at. In your world do prime Bird and Prime Bron have the ability to go time travel to where Prime KG is, jump into a game, and play him for a few seasons?

And just incase that went over your head, they all played in different era"s. How the h--- would bird say that KG guarded him the best?

Secondly you keep harping on this, "your going off of what one player said". No! I'm going off what I have seen. That quote is just a bit of evidence that destroys your take of "I don't think he could". That take is trash and out the window you know that right?

That's exactly my point! You're taking what one player in one era said and you're using it as evidence to say that KG was the best at defending an entire position because of it. Why is T-Mac saying "KG defended me best" more meaningful than LeBron saying "Kawhi defended me best," or Bird saying "Coop defended me best." Your argument in this thread was that "if we listen to what players say" it would be KG. Those were your exact words. Well, I'm offering up two better players saying something. They may not have been able to play against peak KG, but it's not like 2002 T-Mac got to play against peak Kawhi or peak Coop either. Those statements have the same intrinsic value: almost nothing. It's an interesting tidbit, but players play against each other a few times a year and have dozens of biases. Others who watched the league as a whole from a different perspective are much fairer judges. If basically all of them are saying "Scottie Pippen is the best," that means a hell of a lot more than one player saying one thing after one game.

flea
04-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Not sure whether the question means guys who defended SFs or guys who were primarily SFs that were good on D. If it's on-ball players I prefer physical guys like Allen and Cooper. They really bother guys and, more importantly, fatigue them. Leonard can be physical but he mostly chooses his spots, he plays with space so he can bait his man into turnovers. Danny Green is generally more physical than Leonard - and of course all of this is with the caveat of this era.

What Cooper, Harper, Payton, etc. used to do would have them fouled out before halftime against stars of today. But you can still be somewhat physical, especially off the ball - it's just that you don't see it much until the playoffs when guys start going after each other. You see perimeter physicality much more in college these days.

IKnowHoops
04-29-2017, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE]Bro, this was a reg season game.

My entire argument is not based off just this one game. This is just a brick in the building, and it was more amazing than any other like brick in any other house that I have seen.

You have not seen 99.9% of games where other All Time great wing defenders over the ages would make you feel the same way.

True, let me say best Wing defender since 89-90 NBA season.

KG was a menace against forwards for years, but others were better, and for longer. Not "foolish" to mention his name

I'm just saying. And I'm not killing people for taking Allen, Pippen, Leonard or Rodman. I'm just saying since 90, KG is to me the best wing defender in the NBA. Ive been watching since 87, but by 1990 I had also been playing for a couple years and felt I understood what i was seeing.

but I'm not buying your reasoning as sound logic.

My logic for him being the best since 1990, is because he has the best defense on small forwards I have seen since 1990.

Have I seen Leonard? Of course I have, you know how much " I love" Lebron, so I am quite aware of his ability to slow the GOAT as compared to anyone else. Quite aware.

Pippen? Yes, I scream how underrated he was period. On a break he was finishing on everyone all the time. He was a force. He always guarded the other teams best player so Jordan could chill. Love Pippen.

Rodman? Seen them boys beat the dog ish out of Mike

Allen? Honestly the second most impressive performance Ive seen is Tony Allen on Durant in the playoffs. He shut Durant down. Felt like Durant missed a lot of shots he normally makes, but I also believe some of that was due to the discomfort of having Allen all in his grill. Through him off mentally and coordination wise Allen messed up his timing bad. The great defensive stoppers always screw up the other guys timing.

Bruce? I'm a Drob fan, a Duncan fan, and a Pop fan so Ive seen more Bruce than anyone not named KDspurs...probably very close to the same. I love Bruce, high energy, love to step under your ankle on the way down, was dirty, gritty player who I loved on the Spurs. Somehow his Corner 3 was better than his free-throw but whatever. I love Bruce, he was a great defender.

But by the very nature of KG being 7 foot with a 7'6 wingspan (I just guessed on that) he can do things the other guys here can't. And the speed differential these other guys have, does not make up the size and length differential that KG has...and that is apparent to me in the film watching SF trying to take KG to the hole vs SF taking these other guys to the hole. KG can wait on any SF a la Lebron, and pat there junk at the rim. There wasn't a small forward quick enough to get by him (accept for a random occurrence here and there) in the NBA during his prime.

valade16
04-29-2017, 09:49 PM
For those saying Tony Allen, when in the playoffs did he guard a top tier SF and slow them down? I just can't remember any signature series or games where Allen went up against a superstar SF and shut them down.

Edit: saw people mention Allen vs KD. Was that a specific game or stretch of plays? Because KD's #'s Vs Memphis in the playoffs are:

2014: 29.9 PPG, 54.3 TS%
2013: 28.8 PPG, 53.1 TS%
2011: 26.4 PPG, 56.8 TS%

Guess KD was held to not that good efficiency, but he still managed to drop a ton of points and even his efficiency was not atrocious for such a small sample size.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 09:52 PM
For those saying Tony Allen, when in the playoffs did he guard a top tier SF and slow them down? I just can't remember any signature series or games where Allen went up against a superstar SF and shut them down.

He gave Durant a bunch of problems early in their 2014 series. 12-of-28 in Game 2, 10-of-27 in Game 3, 5-of-21 in Game 4.

Chronz
04-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Thought I was gonna be clever by naming Tony Allen....

I remember Pippen having trouble in the post but that could just be me seeing the Bulls more than any other team back in the 90's.

Bruce Bowen and Artest stand out from recent generations of course, Bowen was a better stopper of SF I suppose but Artest was definitely the better defender overall because he could lock his man up while providing elite help. Bowen was more of a one trick pony with his quick feet and positional awareness.

Tg11
04-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Pippen in the 90s
Bowen in the 00s
Tony Allen in the 10s

Blitzbolt
04-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Tony Allen has never stop anyone completely because he always guards the best players who usually take a lot of shots...he is able to get into guys head and create turnovers and make them take crazy shots.

Kobe calls him the best defender he ever face for a reason even though he drop 25 on him during playoffs.KD gets super frustrated when facing him even though Allen is like 6'3.

My point is when you are all alone (no double team) vs superstars of course the stats won't be on his favor.

YAALREADYKNO
04-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Marion was underrated and still can't believe he didn't get at least one all NBA defensive team nod. Artest was a monster at his peak too

Raps18-19 Champ
04-30-2017, 05:29 PM
Are you asking who the best defensive SF is? Or who the best player was at the defending the opposing SF? Because they are 2 different answers.

Quinnsanity
04-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Are you asking who the best defensive SF is? Or who the best player was at the defending the opposing SF? Because they are 2 different answers.

Best person at defending the opposing SF.

tredigs
04-30-2017, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=tredigs;31600312]

My entire argument is not based off just this one game. This is just a brick in the building, and it was more amazing than any other like brick in any other house that I have seen.

True, let me say best Wing defender since 89-90 NBA season.

I'm just saying. And I'm not killing people for taking Allen, Pippen, Leonard or Rodman. I'm just saying since 90, KG is to me the best wing defender in the NBA. Ive been watching since 87, but by 1990 I had also been playing for a couple years and felt I understood what i was seeing.

My logic for him being the best since 1990, is because he has the best defense on small forwards I have seen since 1990.

Have I seen Leonard? Of course I have, you know how much " I love" Lebron, so I am quite aware of his ability to slow the GOAT as compared to anyone else. Quite aware.

Pippen? Yes, I scream how underrated he was period. On a break he was finishing on everyone all the time. He was a force. He always guarded the other teams best player so Jordan could chill. Love Pippen.

Rodman? Seen them boys beat the dog ish out of Mike

Allen? Honestly the second most impressive performance Ive seen is Tony Allen on Durant in the playoffs. He shut Durant down. Felt like Durant missed a lot of shots he normally makes, but I also believe some of that was due to the discomfort of having Allen all in his grill. Through him off mentally and coordination wise Allen messed up his timing bad. The great defensive stoppers always screw up the other guys timing.

Bruce? I'm a Drob fan, a Duncan fan, and a Pop fan so Ive seen more Bruce than anyone not named KDspurs...probably very close to the same. I love Bruce, high energy, love to step under your ankle on the way down, was dirty, gritty player who I loved on the Spurs. Somehow his Corner 3 was better than his free-throw but whatever. I love Bruce, he was a great defender.

But by the very nature of KG being 7 foot with a 7'6 wingspan (I just guessed on that) he can do things the other guys here can't. And the speed differential these other guys have, does not make up the size and length differential that KG has...and that is apparent to me in the film watching SF trying to take KG to the hole vs SF taking these other guys to the hole. KG can wait on any SF a la Lebron, and pat there junk at the rim. There wasn't a small forward quick enough to get by him (accept for a random occurrence here and there) in the NBA during his prime.

Good post Hoops. Disagree on some points but I'll get to it tomorrow when I'm home since you took some time.

AIRMAR72
05-01-2017, 02:24 AM
Scottie Pippen? Kawhi? LeBron? Someone older school like Bobby Jones or Dave DeBusschere? Artest or Marion?

Someone who shall remain nameless claims that KG was better at defending small forwards than all of these guys. I just want to open that one up to the floor. 1.Scottie Pippen 2.Bruce Bowen 3.Leonard