PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a basketball 1 game playoff?

More-Than-Most
04-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Basically 8 V 9 seed Or if teams tie for the 8th seed we have a playoff of some sort? Thinking about it the Heat really did get shafted the final game... But this also would add a reason for teams to fight to be the 1 seed as well... You would get an even weaker 8 seed by forcing them to play an extra game before your series.

NYKnickFanatic
04-28-2017, 09:14 PM
I wish the whole playoffs was 1 game. Would be much more exciting.

Would never happen though.

Driven
04-28-2017, 09:56 PM
Over half the teams in the league make he playoffs. Why do we need to add another? It works for baseball because they went from four to five teams, and that wild card team has at least a shot to win the World Series. The 9 seeds in the NBA would have no shot.

I don't think any 1 seed is going to give a **** about the difference between playing an 8 or a 9 seed, or if they're playing a team that's tired or whatever.

You're talking about two teams in the bottom half of the league.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Over half the teams in the league make he playoffs. Why do we need to add another? It works for baseball because they went from four to five teams, and that wild card team has at least a shot to win the World Series. The 9 seeds in the NBA would have no shot.

I don't think any 1 seed is going to give a **** about the difference between playing an 8 or a 9 seed, or if they're playing a team that's tired or whatever.

You're talking about two teams in the bottom half of the league.

Agree with this. It's an interesting thought, though it's already tough enough as it is for 8th seeds. While it would have been great to see the Heat make the playoffs, they lost games they easily could have won at the end of the year and missed getting in by that much.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 11:49 PM
I'd love to have play-in games for the final spots. It would incentivize teams to win near the end of the season, give us some fun games, prevent low-seeded teams who were really injured and therefore not interesting from getting in and shrink the lottery a bit which I wouldn't mind. Make 7 play against 10 and 8 play against 9 for the last two spots.

Driven
04-29-2017, 02:54 AM
I'd love to have play-in games for the final spots. It would incentivize teams to win near the end of the season, give us some fun games, prevent low-seeded teams who were really injured and therefore not interesting from getting in and shrink the lottery a bit which I wouldn't mind. Make 7 play against 10 and 8 play against 9 for the last two spots.

So you think that the Pelicans and the Pistons were playoff caliber teams then, huh

LOb0
04-29-2017, 03:55 AM

Would completely cheapen everything and assure the best team doesn't win. That would actually make me stop watching Basketball.

da ThRONe
04-29-2017, 06:38 AM

Best of 3 would be a great middle ground. The league would get so much more ratings if they reduce both the regular and post season.

PowerHouse
04-29-2017, 08:42 AM

warfelg
04-29-2017, 09:03 AM
No. Never a one game.

It should go 5-5-7-7 though.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 02:38 PM
So you think that the Pelicans and the Pistons were playoff caliber teams then, huh

What does playoff caliber even mean? Why were the Pacers and Blazers "playoff caliber?" It's a totally arbitrary distinction. Does the quality of the 16th best team stay exactly the same every single year? Of course not. There's no such thing as playoff caliber, it's a fictional bar set by a league that has included as many teams as it deemed reasonably possible to maximize revenue. With that being the case, why not make more money for the league with play-in games we could enjoy as fans? Who loses in that scenario? Whoever wins is just going to lose in the first round anyway.

JasonJohnHorn
04-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Yeah.. they should make a tournament in college basketball... maybe the top 64 teams? Then have every game be do-or-die right up to the last game.

Seriously though, I love the current playoff format: wouldn't change a thing. Barring injury, it ensures the best team wins each time.

Perhaps a do-or-die tournament for lottery teams to determine draft order. I'd be ok with that.

Heediot
04-30-2017, 08:51 PM
3-3-5-7 imo.

Heediot
04-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Perhaps a do-or-die tournament for lottery teams to determine draft order. I'd be ok with that.

Yeah that sounds cool. Winner of the non-playoff teams wins the 1st pick. This would stop tanking.

More-Than-Most
04-30-2017, 09:15 PM
No. Never a one game.

It should go 5-5-7-7 though.

Nono... I mean like how we had this past year where the heat and bulls were tied record wise... The bulls got to play the nets or whatever the final game who sat all their guys.... Why not force the 8 and 9 seed to have a 1 game playoff to see who deserves the 8 seed thus giving the 1 seed even more of an advantage which they should have for being the 1 seed.