PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird steps down

GiantsSwaGG
04-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Larry Bird will step down as Pacers' president of basketball operations, according to report
The Pacers were swept for the first time in franchise history.
By Kristian Winfield on April 28, 2017 9:34 am
TWEET SHARE PIN

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

Larry Bird is stepping down from his position as Indiana Pacersí president of basketball operations, according to The Verticalís Adrian Wojnarowski. His position will be taken over by Kevin Pritchard. Bird is expected to continue working with Pritchard and the Pacers as a consultant, according to Woj.

The move comes after Indiana was swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first-round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. It was the first time the Pacers were swept in their franchiseís storied history.

Bird stepped down from his position once before. One day before the 2012 NBA Draft, Bird, who cited health reasons, and the Pacers announced they would part ways. One year later, he returned to his post as team president.

The ex-Celtics legend also stepped down as Pacersí head coach in 2000 after three seasons on the job.

Birdís departure comes at the end of a rough stretch of Pacersí seasons. Indiana made back-to-back first-round exits after failing to reach the playoffs in 2015. Bird bulldozed the roster over the summer, adding Jeff Teague, Al Jefferson and Thaddeus Young during free agency. He also replaced head coach Frank Vogel with Nate McMillan.

The Pacers finished 42-40 this season, good for the seventh seed in the East.

Birdís exit adds more questions for Indianaís lone superstar.

Paul Georgeís looming 2018 free agency has been well-documented. George wants to compete for a championship. The Pacers are lightyears away from contending in the East and have failed to add the help necessary to improve the team.

Birdís lone mid-season acquisition was signing Lance Stephenson to a free agent contract near the end of the regular season.

The Pacers can offer George a fifth season on his contract for around $30 million more than any other team. If George makes an All-NBA team, Indiana can offer him a five-year deal worth $219 million ó nearly $70 million more than any team. The Pacersí All-Star averaged 23.7 points and 6.6 rebounds on 46 percent shooting from the field and 39 percent shooting from downtown, but there are only six forward spots across the three All-NBA teams, so he must compete with LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Jimmy Butler.

That slashes the financial incentive for George to remain with the Pacersí franchise that drafted him 10th overall in 2010. It also increases the odds Indiana fields or accepts a trade offer for their star forward over the summer. Indiana entertained a trade offer from the Boston Celtics near the trade deadline, but stood pat.

George has been linked to returning to his hometown of Los Angeles to play for Magic Johnson and the Lakers. With no clear path to a championship in Indiana, and now Bird out of the picture, Georgeís tenure with the Pacers could be coming to a close.

What are your thoughts?

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 01:13 PM
George is gone.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 01:30 PM
George is gone.

mngopher35
04-28-2017, 01:38 PM
George is gone

Lakers + Giants
04-28-2017, 01:42 PM
**** your streak. ^

Id step down too if i knew i was losing the best player on the team via FA to the lakers. :p

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Haha boston phx la should get on the phone pronto with their picks (if lakers keep em)

Indy will prolly be pretty receptive to a top 3 pick to start the rebuild w myles turner

If philly gets their pick and lakers pick they should offer em both for george

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Yup, George is definitely gone. The one guy he probably had respect for is gone. Frank Vogel was fired for no damn reason for a damn shmuck average coach. Pacers had something special but it seems they have trouble getting a good team going. I'd like to see PG go to a team that can actually use his talent.. we have a spot for ya.

Wade n Fade
04-28-2017, 02:55 PM
It's good sign for those who want Nate McMillan gone too. Bird wanted more offense, but sacked Vogel in the process. It's clear that Paul George didn't see himself in Indy for the long term. Trading him can recoup some big time assets to go with Myles Turner.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Just another way of saying he got respectfully fired by ownership.

smith&wesson
04-28-2017, 03:27 PM
He got canned and deserved it.. he's Larry Legend of course they'll say he stepped down to save face..

smith&wesson
04-28-2017, 03:29 PM
You can plug PG on any team almost.. I'd like to see him in New Orleans with Davis. Maybe the pacers would take back Cousins and hope to resign him. Both PG and Cousins have 1 year left on their deals.

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Weird as ****, too. I heard about him driving some sorta car representing the Pacers in NYC a few days ago. Wonder what changed.

still1ballin
04-28-2017, 04:00 PM
George is gone

TheDish87
04-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Haha boston phx la should get on the phone pronto with their picks (if lakers keep em)

Indy will prolly be pretty receptive to a top 3 pick to start the rebuild w myles turner

If philly gets their pick and lakers pick they should offer em both for george

no way Sixers should offer 2 top 5 picks for PG without an extension and even then i dont know.

IndyRealist
04-28-2017, 04:54 PM
He got canned and deserved it.. he's Larry Legend of course they'll say he stepped down to save face..

Technically, Bird didn't have a contract so he wasn't fired. He worked on a handshake agreement year to year with the owner. So either Bird walked away, or Herb Simon chose not to renew his deal.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 05:07 PM
no way Sixers should offer 2 top 5 picks for PG without an extension and even then i dont know.

How about just one? The higher pick, but ni extension still? Yay or nay?

More-Than-Most
04-28-2017, 05:07 PM

**** that they can have him. Id rather offer that for butler.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 05:09 PM
**** that they can have him. Id rather offer that for butler.

Really? You'd offer two for butler not george?

IndyRealist
04-28-2017, 05:20 PM

I would too, and frankly I want anything I could get for PG.

More-Than-Most
04-28-2017, 05:27 PM
If you think the lakers have any shot at trading for PG13 you are out of your mind now... new guy coming in isnt about to start his tenure by trading PG13 for a mediocre package.

Sadly PG will be a celtic if the celtics get roasted next round.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 05:44 PM
If you think the lakers have any shot at trading for PG13 you are out of your mind now... new guy coming in isnt about to start his tenure by trading PG13 for a mediocre package.

He could walk from anywhere though, and just like you guys are saying teams arent gonna offer a motherload for him so lakers still have a chance.

flea
04-28-2017, 05:58 PM
Sucks, I think he's a good FO guy even if he probably got pushed out because of his latest gambit.

Pacers had a defensive style with PG at first and I think that was the best way to do it. Problem was, PG is no Larry Bird as a scorer. He can't get to the rim consistently, doesn't have a post game, and his pull-up game was embarrassingly reliant on 18 footers and 3s. So Bird drafted Turner and traded for Teague, going for a faster pace with an athletic big and get George the kinds of transition looks that Curry and Klay build their numbers on.

It just didn't quite work because I think Teague is more of an opportunistic transition guard than someone like Ty Lawson, or coincidentally, Monta Ellis. I think Monta and Teague overlapped and George was just never good enough to cover up a malfunctioning playmaking backcourt. Plus, relying on Turner/Young to keep your defense afloat was pretty optimistic considering how young Turner is and how new/average Young is.

IndyRealist can probably correct me but that's how I see it. The Hill/Stephenson/George/West/Hibbert run was the best they had and it was because of how big and tough defensively they were. I wonder if Bird would have revamped to the extent he did if West didn't decide to leave for the Spurs.

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Butler is better than George on both sides of the ball. The only thing George has on him is 3 point shooting imo.

D Blue987
04-28-2017, 06:52 PM

I dont know what your talking about. Lakers have a very good shot at getting George now. The time to trade George for max return has long since past and now George can essentially dictate where he wants to play and Indy almost certainly has to work out a trade with that team for whatever they can get. This is another Boogie Cousins/Nerlens Noel scenario where the return will be far less than what everyone is expecting. Bird stepping down all but seals that the Pacers intend to blow it all up. Lakers could offer DLO, Clarkson, and Brewer to make the money work and that will probably still end up being competitive with whatever any other team would likely offer without assurances of an extension from George. I expect there to be other offers obviously but without George's assurances to stay long term with another team, the offers will be limited imho.

kobe4thewinbang
04-29-2017, 01:47 AM
Bird seems jaded and has not made smart choices. He is worth asking for an opinion, but calling the shots, no. Popular vote says Coach Vogel should not have been fired, and neither should have been Carlisle. This *might* keep Paul George around, but I doubt it. The fact that this team was right there to take down the Miami Heat and it's been downhill ever since.

warfelg
04-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Larry is still stuck in the old NBA ways. He doesn't embrace anything that is new-ish or modern in the NBA. Heck he fired a coach for no reason.