PDA

View Full Version : CP3 could take multiple meetings this summer

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 11:03 AM

If they lose in the first round do you think he leaves? Who do you think will get meetings with him?

shep33
04-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Spurs

FOXHOUND
04-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Paul or Blake need to leave. Blake needs to be on his own so he can spread his wings and they clearly don't work well enough together to win anything meaningful. Paul can stay there with Jordan, he won't find a better PnR partner, and he can cash in on that $200M. Blake needs to go somewhere and be the man.

GoferKing_
04-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Paul should leave. He needs smarter players around him, not just people looking to dunk the ball.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 12:07 PM
If one leaves i expect the other to leave. If cp3 could get to the spurs somehow that'd be a good fit for him.

If blake could get to the celtics or thunder thatd be great for him.

Its clear they arent winning anything in clipper land together, they would have already if they were going to. They didnt and its time for em both to move on.

Then if im the clips i try and flip d
DJ for young guys and/or picks and start the rebuild.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 12:22 PM
If one leaves i expect the other to leave. If cp3 could get to the spurs somehow that'd be a good fit for him.

If blake could get to the celtics or thunder thatd be great for him.

Its clear they arent winning anything in clipper land together, they would have already if they were going to. They didnt and its time for em both to move on.

Then if im the clips i try and flip d
DJ for young guys and/or picks and start the rebuild.

This. I'm really starting to buy into the "CP3 to the Spurs" thing, especially if Houston beats them as badly as I expect them to. You can't go anywhere without a real primary ball handler, and there's no chance the Clippers are ever beating the Warriors. Unless CP3 really cares that much about the extra money, San Antonio makes the most sense.

Several teams would give up a boatload for DeAndre. Boston comes to mind since they need rebounding and rim-protection so badly. They want to keep max cap space this summer, so I imagine they'd wait until after they've made their pitch to Gordon Hayward, but let's say they signed him. They could offer the Clips are monster package of their 2019 Memphis pick, their own 2018 pick, Tyler Zeller (salary matching purposes), Marcus Smart (who they would no longer have to re-sign) and Jae Crowder. The Clips would then flip Crowder for more picks, but Boston would have Isaiah, Bradley, Hayward, Horford and DeAndre as their starting five with all of their Brooklyn picks left over. That's the best combination of winning now and winning in the future I could see.

I'm not sure what the Blake destination is though. Brooklyn makes some sense because he seems like a big market guy and it gives them some credibility. Washington maybe (they have a pretty feasible path to max space if they wanted it). The Lakers might pounce on his name value alone. Miami? I'm not sure. But someone would give him the max.

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 12:24 PM
How much cap will the Spurs have?

zn23
04-28-2017, 12:26 PM
If I'm CP3, there's no way I stay if Doc is still coaching.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 12:28 PM
How much cap will the Spurs have?

Depends largely on two factors: does Tony Parker retire? And does Pau Gasol opt in or out of the final year of his deal.

If they have both salaries on the books, the Spurs are at around $8 million in space. If Gasol opts out and Parker retires, they're at max space already. If one leaves and the other stays, they're a bit under $25 million in space. My expectation though is that both stay. I think Gasol is easily tradable, especially if you attach a pick, so let's pretend he's gone. If the Spurs used the stretch provision on Parker they could lower his salary from around $17 million closer to $6 million. That would allow him to pick his next destination (or simply return to the Spurs if he was so inclined and went unclaimed on waivers, but I don't know what the earliest date he could do that would be), and would get the Spurs basically to max space. So they can get there. Even if they couldn't trade Gasol and had to stretch him as well, they'd have a little bit under $30 million to play with. Not Paul's max, but a big salary.

FOXHOUND
04-28-2017, 01:32 PM
This. I'm really starting to buy into the "CP3 to the Spurs" thing, especially if Houston beats them as badly as I expect them to. You can't go anywhere without a real primary ball handler, and there's no chance the Clippers are ever beating the Warriors. Unless CP3 really cares that much about the extra money, San Antonio makes the most sense.

Several teams would give up a boatload for DeAndre. Boston comes to mind since they need rebounding and rim-protection so badly. They want to keep max cap space this summer, so I imagine they'd wait until after they've made their pitch to Gordon Hayward, but let's say they signed him. They could offer the Clips are monster package of their 2019 Memphis pick, their own 2018 pick, Tyler Zeller (salary matching purposes), Marcus Smart (who they would no longer have to re-sign) and Jae Crowder. The Clips would then flip Crowder for more picks, but Boston would have Isaiah, Bradley, Hayward, Horford and DeAndre as their starting five with all of their Brooklyn picks left over. That's the best combination of winning now and winning in the future I could see.

I'm not sure what the Blake destination is though. Brooklyn makes some sense because he seems like a big market guy and it gives them some credibility. Washington maybe (they have a pretty feasible path to max space if they wanted it). The Lakers might pounce on his name value alone. Miami? I'm not sure. But someone would give him the max.

Clippers to Boston
Blake Griffin sign and trade
DeAndre Jordan

Boston to Clippers
2017 Brooklyn 1st
2018 Brookyn 1st
2019 Memphis 1st

Boston to Memphis
Al Horford

Memphis to Clippers
Chandler Parsons
2018 Charlotte 2nd
2018 Miami 2nd
Wade Baldwin? Can't hurt, right?

----
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Blake
Jordan

Rebounding? Fixed. Interior D? Fixed. Second Star? Fixed. Third Star? Greatly improved. Thomas is a really good off the ball scorer, allows for Blake to post up more. Blake is a very good passer out of the post, open up his game and let him be the 25 PPG, 5-6 APG beast he is whenever Paul is hurt.

Clippers take the contract, cause they're rebuilding anyways, so they can take both of those BK picks plus another 3rd. Let Paul walk or sign and trade him also. Clippers traded picks are lotto protected through 2020 and then become 2nd round picks. Go full youth rebuild, combine their own high picks with the BK picks and you should have one of the best young cores in the NBA by 2020. Use the upcoming season as a Austin Rivers showcase as he hits FA. Trade him at deadline. More picks! Picks galore!

Zach Randolph is an upcoming FA and is 35. They have no cap space and are stuck. Horford can start at PF and play C when Marc rests. They can resign RFA Green or even Zach if they want and have a strong 3-big rotation. They help facilitate the deal with Boston throwing in their 2019.

Edit: Expanded to a 3-way trade cause why the hell not lol.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 01:42 PM

Yep. Its time for them. They are gonna lose to the jazz and thats just the diarrhea icing on the **** cake that has been there post season experience with this core.

I think paul leaves the money for a winner. He doesnt wanna be rememebred as the best pg to never win a chip.

If cp3 leavea blake definitely leaves. I heard on a podcast the lakers should look into him but i think he goes somewhere where he's the man. Wouldnt surprise me at all for him to go to brooklyn market wise.

If both leave DJ demands a trade almost guarenteed. I like the celtics as an option but could also see dallas or houston coveting him.

Houston all those shooters spacing the floor for DJ is not bad.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 01:46 PM
DeAndre Jordan

for

Al Horford
2017 BK 1st
2018 BK 1st

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Blake
Jordan

Rebounding? Fixed. Interior D? Fixed. Second Star? Fixed. Third Star? Greatly improved. Thomas is a really good off the ball scorer, allows for Blake to post up more. Blake is a very good passer out of the post, open up his game and let him be the 25 PPG, 5-6 APG beast he is whenever Paul is hurt.

Clippers take the contract, cause they're rebuilding anyways, so they can take both of those BK picks. Let Paul walk or sign and trade him also. Clippers traded picks are lotto protected through 2020 and then become 2nd round picks. Go full youth rebuild, combine their own high picks with the BK picks and you should have one of the best young cores in the NBA by 2020.

They'd have to be separate trades though no? Isnt there like no sign and trades part of packages under the new cba or am i m messing that up? HALP cba experts of psd lol

FOXHOUND
04-28-2017, 01:57 PM
They'd have to be separate trades though no? Isnt there like no sign and trades part of packages under the new cba or am i m messing that up? HALP cba experts of psd lol

Oh is it? They could do it separate for logistics purposes, I guess. Jordan makes less than Horford so that would set them up with a little extra cap relief before the Blake trade if they needed.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Oh is it? They could do it separate for logistics purposes, I guess. Jordan makes less than Horford so that would set them up with a little extra cap relief before the Blake trade if they needed.
Im no expert just a very avid fan,i just thought i remembered reading this somewhere but i could be very very wrong and or confusing it with a very specific situational rule or something lol.

For the celtics in win now mode it makes sense and for the clippers in instant rebuild mode it makes pretty good sense

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Also if im the lakers w bird stepping down i try and trade for pg13 and get a very serious meeting w cp3 going after that. He could stay in LA play w another star player and finally get to realize what stern took away from him ;) ahahs

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2017, 02:04 PM
I really wanted to see this Clippers team do well. CP3 is likely my favorite player in the league now that Duncan has retired, and when you have a coach who is SO much of a fawk-up that he benches an guy like Lance Stephenson to play his own son who can defend or shoot worth $#!t, it is fawking pointless to stay in that situation, because all it is going to be is that high school basketball coach who starts his own son even though he's the $#!tt!e$t kid on the team, and the team is NOT GOING TO REACH ITS FULL POTENTIAL with that coach.

Doc needs to go. He's ruined his cred in my opinion.

And it doesn't help that the one player CP3 needs more than anybody on that team isn't around for the playoffs seemingly every year (through no fault of his own: no disrespect to Blake here).

CP3 need to move on. He's earned it. He gave it a good go in NO, and has played like an MVP every year in LA. Neither team has put a championship team around him. He should go whereever he thinks he has the best chance to win.

Yes.. the Spurs look good on paper, but a sign-and-trade to Cleveland (for Kyrie) would be good for both team, and signing with Minny would put him in a position to win for a few years with their extremely talented young core and great coach, and CP3 could mentor those young guys and turn them into champions. I think he' sbe the hands-down favorite for MVP is he signed in Minny.

FOXHOUND
04-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Im no expert just a very avid fan,i just thought i remembered reading this somewhere but i could be very very wrong and or confusing it with a very specific situational rule or something lol.

For the celtics in win now mode it makes sense and for the clippers in instant rebuild mode it makes pretty good sense

Yeah now that you mention it I feel like I remember reading about something like that too. This is such a crazy trade idea, especially my expanded one in the edit, that I doubt there's any chance of it happening lol. It makes mutual sense to me, though.

valade16
04-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Clippers to Boston
DeAndre Jordan

Boston to Clippers
2017 Brooklyn 1st
2018 Brookyn 1st
2019 Memphis 1st

Boston to Memphis
Al Horford

Memphis to Clippers
Chandler Parsons
2018 Charlotte 2nd
2018 Miami 2nd
Wade Baldwin? Can't hurt, right?

----
Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Blake
Jordan

Clippers take the contract, cause they're rebuilding anyways, so they can take both of those BK picks plus another 3rd. Let Paul walk or sign and trade him also. Clippers traded picks are lotto protected through 2020 and then become 2nd round picks. Go full youth rebuild, combine their own high picks with the BK picks and you should have one of the best young cores in the NBA by 2020. Use the upcoming season as a Austin Rivers showcase as he hits FA. Trade him at deadline. More picks! Picks galore!

Zach Randolph is an upcoming FA and is 35. They have no cap space and are stuck. Horford can start at PF and play C when Marc rests. They can resign RFA Green or even Zach if they want and have a strong 3-big rotation. They help facilitate the deal with Boston throwing in their 2019.

Edit: Expanded to a 3-way trade cause why the hell not lol.

Boston can't trade 1st Round picks in consecutive seasons, so the 2017 and 2018 picks couldn't be traded. More important, considering Boston is hoping to sign a max level FA this summer, and thus have the leverage with the Clippers, I doubt they trade both Brooklyn picks for Griffin and Jordan.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Yeah now that you mention it I feel like I remember reading about something like that too. This is such a crazy trade idea, especially my expanded one in the edit, that I doubt there's any chance of it happening lol. It makes mutual sense to me, though.

Haha yeah 99% of trade ideas on psd never happen in real life so no worries. Its an interesting idea at least.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 02:08 PM
I really wanted to see this Clippers team do well. CP3 is likely my favorite player in the league now that Duncan has retired, and when you have a coach who is SO much of a fawk-up that he benches an guy like Lance Stephenson to play his own son who can defend or shoot worth $#!t, it is fawking pointless to stay in that situation, because all it is going to be is that high school basketball coach who starts his own son even though he's the $#!tt!e$t kid on the team, and the team is NOT GOING TO REACH ITS FULL POTENTIAL with that coach.

Doc needs to go. He's ruined his cred in my opinion.

And it doesn't help that the one player CP3 needs more than anybody on that team isn't around for the playoffs seemingly every year (through no fault of his own: no disrespect to Blake here).

CP3 need to move on. He's earned it. He gave it a good go in NO, and has played like an MVP every year in LA. Neither team has put a championship team around him. He should go whereever he thinks he has the best chance to win.

Yes.. the Spurs look good on paper, but a sign-and-trade to Cleveland (for Kyrie) would be good for both team, and signing with Minny would put him in a position to win for a few years with their extremely talented young core and great coach, and CP3 could mentor those young guys and turn them into champions. I think he' sbe the hands-down favorite for MVP is he signed in Minny.

If the cavs lose, it finally could happen

Kyrie for cp3
Klove for melo
Wade opts out and takes a vet minimum for cavs

Cp3
Wade
Bron
Melo
Thompson

Yall heard it here first 😂😂😂

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Boston can't trade 1st Round picks in consecutive seasons, so the 2017 and 2018 picks couldn't be traded. More important, considering Boston is hoping to sign a max level FA this summer, and thus have the leverage with the Clippers, I doubt they trade both Brooklyn picks for Griffin and Jordan.

They can if they picked up another first in 2018. Do the clips have their 2018? They could include it to make it work

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:22 PM
There are many teams that could use CP3. New Orleans and Spurs would probably be the top two choices. Hell, I think with CP3, Spurs would probably be the favorites over the Warriors. He fits entirely with their system and him+Pop know each other from the Olympics. It'll be cool. Better than playing with two "All-Stars" who think the playoffs is a showcase for dunking the ball or something. Neither of those players step up when needed.

FOXHOUND
04-28-2017, 02:23 PM

They can always do it the Wiggins-Love wink wink way. ;)

I don't know man, Blake and Jordan is a lot. I get the leverage but it would also secure Blake vs letting him hit the market. Also, if he says he will only go in a sign and trade due to money reasons, leverage could shift back to the Clippers. The new CBA with the money FAs have to leave makes it tough. What if Boston whiffs on FAs again and are sitting with another potential Horford type signing instead of a Hayward? This also fixes their issues better than anything they can do in FA, I think. It's also insane lol.

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:31 PM
Why would anyone want Blake at this point for MAX dollars? It's hard to trust a guy who disappears in the playoffs, gets injured, and still hasn't developed his game from years ago. He's lost a crap ton of athleticism, too. When was the last time this guy threw down one of those dunks he did on Gasol? He can't elevate or explode the same way. He reminds me of Dwight. Great player but huge declines coming his way.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 04:22 PM

Pretty much this. Boston has no reason to trade Brooklyn picks for Blake. They can just sign him outright and then trade less for DeAndre alone.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Why would anyone want Blake at this point for MAX dollars? It's hard to trust a guy who disappears in the playoffs, gets injured, and still hasn't developed his game from years ago. He's lost a crap ton of athleticism, too. When was the last time this guy threw down one of those dunks he did on Gasol? He can't elevate or explode the same way. He reminds me of Dwight. Great player but huge declines coming his way.

He's a market max player more than an actual max player. Like let's say you're Miami, and your cap space is going to expire next summer because Tyler Johnson's poison pill kicks in. You'd obviously rather have someone like LeBron in that max slot, but that's not a possibility at the moment, so you can either spend on a guy like Blake, or just bring back the entire team from last year. I'm not sure which is preferable, but you have to make that decision this summer. Blake is the only chance you'll get a guy remotely resembling max-caliber, so it's almost like if you have a chance to get him you just do it and figure out the rest later. But yes, he's an enormous risk. There are only a few teams I think make sense for him.

Heediot
04-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Clips are going to give it another shot after they add Melo. Doc has another injury cop out (Blake) so he ain't going nowhere. If the Melo experiment fails, they ship away everyone and finally rebuild.

I dont think Cp and LB negotiated that aging vet thing for the sake of leaving to another team.

Heediot
04-28-2017, 05:25 PM
Bucks would be a nice sleeper destination. His veteran leadership and on court coaching will catapult that young squad into contenders.

Paul-Middleton-Giannis-Parker-Maker-Brogdon is one hell of a squad. He'll take pressure off of Giannis and give them another stud play maker.

flea
04-28-2017, 06:17 PM
If he leaves I bet he goes to the Spurs. Nothing else really makes sense except maybe the Jazz. The Pels, while I'd like it, I just don't think are good enough to say "we're a CP3 away from deep playoff runs."

I don't study the cap situations of various teams so maybe there's some "team-up" scenario where he and George/Butler or whomever could do it but CP3 is a little long in the tooth for that sort of business. Plus CP3 wants to be with a good big, which makes New Orleans somewhat tantalizing but it's really hard to see him leaving LA for a team that is mostly experimental next year, and likely won't compete.

What I think would be really cool is if he signed with the Griz to sort of buck the trend of stacking your team with long wings. A 2 PG lineup, with various veteran bigs, and some moving parts on the wings would at least be an interesting experiment. While both are undersized they are both good defenders and Gasol is the one big in the game that I think could cover for a small backcourt. It'd be like a Bad Boys Pistons or even CP3/Billups type of backcourt. I think both guys would accept that role well, even if at one time I don't think CP3 would have.

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 06:37 PM
Also if im the lakers w bird stepping down i try and trade for pg13 and get a very serious meeting w cp3 going after that. He could stay in LA play w another star player and finally get to realize what stern took away from him ;) ahahs

Y'all about to **** around and get CP3 Wade PG13 LeBron Melo and Cousins lol?

Nah just messing but I think Magic is going to make some big moves.

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 06:38 PM
So when's team banana boat teaming up? If CP3 signs a 5 year deal it isn't happening and if they team up in the west it won't be as fun since they'll play the Warriors in conference play as opposed to the Finals.

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 06:40 PM

This. I was big on going after Blake but after another season ending injury, no thanks. I've had too much of that the last few years with Rondo now, Whiteside last year, and Bosh the last 2 years.

Chronz
04-28-2017, 08:28 PM
Would Atlanta make any sense?

On one hand I wouldn't blame him to cash in on LAC but I would think he does so knowing it would severely cripple our flexibility to improve, especially under Doc.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Would Atlanta make any sense?

On one hand I wouldn't blame him to cash in on LAC but I would think he does so knowing it would severely cripple our flexibility to improve, especially under Doc.

I don't see why Chris does that. The only real advantage Atlanta has over LAC is being in the East. But there's less talent (especially since retaining Millsap would take up their max space, they'd have to trade Schroder obviously) and he'd make less money. I think if he goes anywhere, it's for a demonstrably better chance to win a championship.

Chronz
04-28-2017, 09:55 PM
I don't see why Chris does that. The only real advantage Atlanta has over LAC is being in the East. But there's less talent (especially since retaining Millsap would take up their max space, they'd have to trade Schroder obviously) and he'd make less money. I think if he goes anywhere, it's for a demonstrably better chance to win a championship.

Yeah but those are the places with a PG already in place outside of San Antonio. I was looking for that blend of chemistry, city/team culture and quality teammates. I dont know if Atlanta is that much less talent than the Clips to be honest with you. If we take CP3 out (the guy that RPM suggests is most indispensable to his team last I checked) , I dont think the 2 teams have wildly different records and thats with Atlanta being so unwatchable when Milsap isn't in the game. Like the Clips without Blake are similarly bad, but I'd argue Atlanta has more talent outside of that. So if you're CP3, maybe the fact that Milsap is a FAR superior defender with more range would make the chemistry/fit between them much better. At that point you could feasibly field a superior team than the Clips but the long term fit isn't ideal. Trading DS would be a godsend for them, if they could find any sort of depth from such a trade I could see them contending in the East.

Where else would he go tho? Boston tried to trade Rondo for him years ago but have they moved on with Isiah+draft picks

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Yeah but those are the places with a PG already in place outside of San Antonio. I was looking for that blend of chemistry, city/team culture and quality teammates. I dont know if Atlanta is that much less talent than the Clips to be honest with you. If we take CP3 out (the guy that RPM suggests is most indispensable to his team last I checked) , I dont think the 2 teams have wildly different records and thats with Atlanta being so unwatchable when Milsap isn't in the game. Like the Clips without Blake are similarly bad, but I'd argue Atlanta has more talent outside of that. So if you're CP3, maybe the fact that Milsap is a FAR superior defender with more range would make the chemistry/fit between them much better. At that point you could feasibly field a superior team than the Clips but the long term fit isn't ideal. Trading DS would be a godsend for them, if they could find any sort of depth from such a trade I could see them contending in the East.

Where else would he go tho? Boston tried to trade Rondo for him years ago but have they moved on with Isiah+draft picks

CP3 will need more than Atlanta to beat LeBron. DeAndre is better than Dwight and Blake is arguably still better than Milsap.

valade16
04-29-2017, 12:39 AM
Consider what that would mean if CP3 goes to the Spurs. In the past 3-5 years we will have seen stars from 5 separate teams leave their teams and join 3 (CP3 and LMA for SA, Bron, Love for Cle, and KD for GS).

Never has there been such a consolidation of talent at the expense of so many teams. LMA, Bron, KD and possibly CP3 will all have left playoff teams to join another contender. Awesome to be fans of those teams, but disappointing for the rest of us, not just because they're so stacked (we've had stacked teams for almost all of the NBA's history), but because their talent is the direct result of the loss of the talent from their competitors.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 12:54 AM

Honestly? I wouldn't be OVERLY surprised if Boston chased CP3. I mean, how much petter than peak Rondo is Isaiah right now? If he was willing to chase CP3 then...

But just to throw out some teams, I think Cleveland will at least have the internal discussion of a CP3-Kyrie sign-and-trade if they lose badly enough to the Warriors. It probably won't happen, but they'd at least discuss it. Cleveland would have to shed enough salary to get below the apron even with CP3's new salary, which would be tough, but again, I think the discussion is had.

New Orleans will probably ask for a meeting as well. I doubt he goes there, because well, how different is Davis and Boogie from peak Griffin and DeAndre? It's better, but they wouldn't have Reddick and he didn't win a title with Blake and Jordan. So that's probably a no, especially since they'd have to clear a bunch of cap space to make that happen. The only scenario where I see it as feasible would be if the Pellies won the lottery and could use the No. 1 pick to fortify the rest of their roster.

Simmons mentioned Milwaukee on a recent podcast. The timeline is certainly off, but if he wanted to go there to accelerate it for them and then transition into more of a role player position as he aged, he could potentially win a title there later on. He could be the Oscar to Giannis' Kareem.

Would Chicago look into it? They have max space if Wade opts out. Butler and CP3 is a pretty nice start to a roster.

Miami will always get a meeting if they want one, but he doesn't get them to title contention especially with such a seemingly tepid trade market for Dragic (they didn't get any good offers when they were 11-30).

After that, it's a struggle. Maybe Minnesota if he's interested in playing the long game, same reasons as Milwaukee basically. But I doubt he'd be up for that.

FlashBolt
04-29-2017, 01:00 AM
Consider what that would mean if CP3 goes to the Spurs. In the past 3-5 years we will have seen stars from 5 separate teams leave their teams and join 3 (CP3 and LMA for SA, Bron, Love for Cle, and KD for GS).

Never has there been such a consolidation of talent at the expense of so many teams. LMA, Bron, KD and possibly CP3 will all have left playoff teams to join another contender. Awesome to be fans of those teams, but disappointing for the rest of us, not just because they're so stacked (we've had stacked teams for almost all of the NBA's history), but because their talent is the direct result of the loss of the talent from their competitors.

It happens both ways, though. I mean, some teams never saw a light of opportunity for decades. cleveland and Warriors never won a thing. OKC had a beautiful thing for five or so years so we can't complain. Spurs fans have been dealt the best deck the past decade and a half. It will always suck for more than 80% of the franchises every year, though. A team like the Sixers isn't even lacking stars but management can't develop anyone or has zero direction. Some teams just deserve to be bad, sadly.

FOXHOUND
04-29-2017, 11:49 AM

It's getting to be like the 80's all over again. Everyone remembers the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, 76ers and Rockets. Nobody remembers that Jordan's Bulls made the playoffs with a 30-52 record the year he got hurt. This was also the year he scored 63 in the playoffs lol.

From 1980-89, no team beyond the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, 76ers and Rockets made the NBA Finals.

Lakers - 5 wins, 8 appearances
Celtics - 3 wins, 5 appearances
76ers - 1 win, 3 appearances
Pistons - 1 win, 2 appearances
Rockets - 0 wins, 2 appearances

It wasn't a decade of much parity lol.

Wade n Fade
04-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Would love to see CP3 team up with Aldridge, Gasol, Kawhi if they can get the $ to work. TP and Manu need to retire too.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Would love to see CP3 team up with Aldridge, Gasol, Kawhi if they can get the $ to work. TP and Manu need to retire too.

Gasol has to go for CP3 to fit. I explained the path to max space at some point in this thread.

What's your dream scenario for the allocation of talent throughout the league? I'm just curious, not judging. I love it when the talent is very tightly consolidated. It creates the best possible basketball in May and June as long as the talent isn't only on one team (like the Warriors now, we know the Warriors are the best team, I would like teams like San Antonio and Cleveland to find a way to get on equal footing with them), and I think there are things to root for as a fan besides the championship. Like I have to imagine it was fun rooting for Westbrook's triple-double in OKC even though they all knew they weren't winning the title. Minnesota fans must've enjoyed watching KAT grow into a monster. Miami's run seems like it would've been fun. I think your goal in building a team should be championship or bust, but I don't think that the championship, at least the immediate championship, is the only thing worth watching for as a fan.

Tg11
04-29-2017, 04:46 PM
CP3 to the Lakers is a reality I could see happening

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 07:40 PM
CP3 to the Lakers is a reality I could see happening

I don't see the appeal. They aren't close to winning a title, he'd be giving up a lot of money just to switch locker rooms and I don't even really see why the Lakers would do that anyway with Russell Westbrook's free agency looming in a year.

Tg11
04-29-2017, 07:48 PM
But if the Lakers can't get Westbrook then you may as well get CP3 but also if CP3 does end up leaving the Clippers if he were to go to the Lakers he wouldn't necessarily be leaving LA he would still be in that big market all be it he would go to the other side of LA

However, appealing places Paul could go to well there's:

San Antonio
Denver
Sacramento
Minnesota
Miami
Chicago
Milwaukee
New York
Brooklyn

Quinnsanity
04-29-2017, 09:54 PM
But if the Lakers can't get Westbrook then you may as well get CP3 but also if CP3 does end up leaving the Clippers if he were to go to the Lakers he wouldn't necessarily be leaving LA he would still be in that big market all be it he would go to the other side of LA

San Antonio
Denver
Sacramento
Minnesota
Miami
Chicago
Milwaukee
New York
Brooklyn

Why is Sacramento on that list? I at least see the appeal for the other places in some form or another, but small market, bad team, bad management, incomplete stock of draft picks...

TO Rapz
04-29-2017, 10:29 PM
CP3 to the Raps, re-sign Lowry, re-sign Ibaka, re-sign Patterson, let Powell take Tuckers role, trade JV, trade Joseph.

Paul - Delon - Van Vleet
Lowry - Powell
Derozan - Pick - Bruno
Carroll - Patterson - Poetl
Ibaka - Bebe - Siakham

Will never happen

europagnpilgrim
04-29-2017, 11:55 PM

Deandre isn't worth that much to give up for, if i were Boston i would come with the type of package that the Kings got back in the Cousins deal, regardless how much rim protection they need i wouldn't offer that package

Someone will probably give Blake a max or they might go the Stoudamire route and try to offer him lower because of his injury history that wont ever go away,regardless how many more years he plays he is plagued by the injury bug forever

valade16
04-30-2017, 12:00 AM
Boston is also extremely stingy with their assets. I imagine all they'd offer for DeAndre is Memphis' pick and either Smart or Jaylen Browm. Hard to imagine them trading Jae or Bradley or the Nets picks.

europagnpilgrim
04-30-2017, 12:04 AM

San Antonio
Denver
Sacramento
Minnesota
Miami
Chicago
Milwaukee
New York
Brooklyn

You could add Cleveland/NewOrleans/Houston to that list as well, he would do wonders for Fire&Ice in the Bayou and he would be a killer in that MikeD pace moving Harden to his natural position and both can play off(or PG) the ball since they can knock down a 3pt shot, moving Bev to the bench to terrorize backup Pointguards while CP3 does it for the starting unit, Cleveland would have to move Irving in a trade for him to probably make it happen and that depends on what happens this postseason but those teams would be his best moves outside of a Spurs move

nastynice
04-30-2017, 02:37 AM
..what if he came to golden state?

Just to add to the stackishness

Quinnsanity
04-30-2017, 02:34 PM
You could add Cleveland/NewOrleans/Houston to that list as well, he would do wonders for Fire&Ice in the Bayou and he would be a killer in that MikeD pace moving Harden to his natural position and both can play off(or PG) the ball since they can knock down a 3pt shot, moving Bev to the bench to terrorize backup Pointguards while CP3 does it for the starting unit, Cleveland would have to move Irving in a trade for him to probably make it happen and that depends on what happens this postseason but those teams would be his best moves outside of a Spurs move

CP3 would be wasted in Houston. Both he and Harden need the ball in their hands a lot. We saw this experiment, to a far lesser degree admittedly, fail with Ty Lawson. Paul and Harden are so talented that they'd still win a bunch of games, but it wouldn't come close to maximizing their ability. Everything Paul brings to a team with his playmaking, Harden is already doing. Harden is not a great three-point shooter. It's just not a great fit. If Houston were going to spend max cap space, someone like Paul George who could defend elite wings and carry bench units makes a lot more sense.

GREATNESS ONE
04-30-2017, 02:40 PM
CP3 and Wade should both go to NO and pair up with Boogie&AD.

Saddletramp
04-30-2017, 03:37 PM
If Chris Paul could keep his money at the max that the Clippers can get him, he might go to a smaller market team. But he's not going to Denver or Sacramento or Milwaukee or whatever has been mentioned and lose that money (in fact, I'd bet he wouldn't go to any of those places regardless). The Knicks, Nets and the Bulls are in disarray. He's not going back to New Orleans until at least after his next contract and then only if they're contenders.

Unless another team up happens somewhere that we don't know about yet, he's staying with the Clippers to get his money. If Gasol opts out and Parker retires/get traded, he might go to SA. The smarter move would be for him to get Doc fired and have Ballmer clean house and not re-up Reddick and trade DJ and Rivers for pieces.

Quinnsanity
04-30-2017, 06:19 PM
If Chris Paul could keep his money at the max that the Clippers can get him, he might go to a smaller market team. But he's not going to Denver or Sacramento or Milwaukee or whatever has been mentioned and lose that money (in fact, I'd bet he wouldn't go to any of those places regardless). The Knicks, Nets and the Bulls are in disarray. He's not going back to New Orleans until at least after his next contract and then only if they're contenders.

Unless another team up happens somewhere that we don't know about yet, he's staying with the Clippers to get his money. If Gasol opts out and Parker retires/get traded, he might go to SA. The smarter move would be for him to get Doc fired and have Ballmer clean house and not re-up Reddick and trade DJ and Rivers for pieces.

Why wouldn't you re-sign Redick? He's still good and they have no means of replacing him.

Also, what do you think you could trade DJ and Rivers for that makes the Clippers a championship-level team?

Ironman5219
04-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Send him to Utah. Imagine what Favors, Gobert, Hayward, Paul could do!

dhopisthename
04-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Send him to Utah. Imagine what Favors, Gobert, Hayward, Paul could do!

lol thats what I was thinking. will never happen, but it is an interesting thought. Pull a Durant

Dade County
04-30-2017, 08:24 PM
I believe Cp3 will pick the money over trying to beat GS or the Cavs; those two teams are to good.

If the league could help N.O again, then i can see Cp3 signing with them if they can get a wing player.

I see Blake leaving the West & coming out East, signing with Miami. Pat & Spo will show him what they did for james johnson & he'll be sold. Doesn't mean i am hoping this happens.

Saddletramp
05-01-2017, 01:15 AM
Why wouldn't you re-sign Redick? He's still good and they have no means of replacing him.

Also, what do you think you could trade DJ and Rivers for that makes the Clippers a championship-level team?

It hasn't worked. Rivers is about $12 million, Jordan is about $22M, Crawford is at about $14, Reddick will command near $20? Is that what I've heard? Add Wesley Johnson's $6 and that's about $74 million dollars. Add Paul's and Blake's $45 combined and they can't make any moves and that's if they don't make more next contract, which they obviously will. Something's got to give. That's $120 million give or take. Even if they roll with these guys, they're not beating the Warriors. Not even if they're 100% which they never seem to be.

Saddletramp
05-01-2017, 01:16 AM
lol thats what I was thinking. will never happen, but it is an interesting thought. Pull a Durant

That won't be a Durant unless Utah wins the title this year.

Quinnsanity
05-01-2017, 02:56 AM
It hasn't worked. Rivers is about $12 million, Jordan is about $22M, Crawford is at about $14, Reddick will command near $20? Is that what I've heard? Add Wesley Johnson's $6 and that's about $74 million dollars. Add Paul's and Blake's $45 combined and they can't make any moves and that's if they don't make more next contract, which they obviously will. Something's got to give. That's $120 million give or take. Even if they roll with these guys, they're not beating the Warriors. Not even if they're 100% which they never seem to be.

Re-signing Redick has zero impact on their ability to make other moves. They'd already be over the cap. You can make trades no matter how far over the cap you are. They'd be a tax team no matter what so they'd basically be limited to the BAE/tax payer MLE in free agency anyway, which they wouldn't use because it would hard cap them at the apron anyway. Having extra money above the tax does not impact your ability to make moves. That's not how the cap works. As long as Ballmer is willing to pay for the roster, there is no basketball reason not to do it. It's giving up an asset for nothing. Hell, re-sign Redick and trade him if you're so inclined. But again, as long as Ballmer is willing to pony up the cash to pay for the roster, there is no good reason not to re-sign Redick. It does not create cap space, you could not replace him. It would be giving up an asset for nothing.

Saddletramp
05-01-2017, 04:42 AM
Re-signing Redick has zero impact on their ability to make other moves. They'd already be over the cap. You can make trades no matter how far over the cap you are. They'd be a tax team no matter what so they'd basically be limited to the BAE/tax payer MLE in free agency anyway, which they wouldn't use because it would hard cap them at the apron anyway. Having extra money above the tax does not impact your ability to make moves. That's not how the cap works. As long as Ballmer is willing to pay for the roster, there is no basketball reason not to do it. It's giving up an asset for nothing. Hell, re-sign Redick and trade him if you're so inclined. But again, as long as Ballmer is willing to pony up the cash to pay for the roster, there is no good reason not to re-sign Redick. It does not create cap space, you could not replace him. It would be giving up an asset for nothing.

Do you think he could be eventually traded with a max (or close to it) contract? I get that they're over the tax so you'd be giving him up for nothing but over spending for the same guys isn't going to get them anywhere. Sooner you change (at least some of the) course, the better.

One thing I'm not sure of, if Paul and Griffin opt out, do they have a cap hold or do they have the time between opt out and re-sign to get some contracts on the books? If so, trading Austin for a case of jock straps and a smoothie should happen quick.

Been doing some reading up on it and no, all of those guy's holds still put them over the cap, so they're stuck. Re-signing Redick would be the smart thing to do to not lose him for nothing (like you said). And I don't see anyone taking Austin or Crawford at that price. Maybe DJ could net you something but if I were a Clippers fan, I'm guessing I'm looking at the same core for the next 3-4 years. I'd have to think that they gotta start chipping away at getting rid of some of those contracts somehow. Sorry, Chronz.

europagnpilgrim
05-01-2017, 09:07 AM
CP3 would be wasted in Houston. Both he and Harden need the ball in their hands a lot. We saw this experiment, to a far lesser degree admittedly, fail with Ty Lawson. Paul and Harden are so talented that they'd still win a bunch of games, but it wouldn't come close to maximizing their ability. Everything Paul brings to a team with his playmaking, Harden is already doing. Harden is not a great three-point shooter. It's just not a great fit. If Houston were going to spend max cap space, someone like Paul George who could defend elite wings and carry bench units makes a lot more sense.

different offense scheme and more potent and don't ever diss CP3 like that and put him in the same breath as Lawson, CP3 can shoot 3's off the ball or dribble at pretty even clip, the scheme would maximize each players ability since its push the pace and pick and roll/3pt heavy, CP3 would love it and Harden could go back to his natural SG position and not miss a beat since I would imagine they would take turns handling the ball but I would have it 60-65 to 30-35pct for CP3 to Harden handling wise, not saying this would happen I just figured since you mentioned some pretty average teams I threw 3 more options out there, no big deal

George would be a nice fit as well since he would get all the looks Ariza or whoever plays the 3 spot would get and he can create/pass which is well suited for that offense

Oakmont_4
05-01-2017, 03:16 PM

I don't think this works. In order to clear enough cap space to sign Hwayward, we have to cut out all players with options. So Zeller wouldn't be available to trade in this scenario. I'd love for that to be the 2017 Celtics, but I don't think it works numbers wise.

valade16
05-01-2017, 03:21 PM
I don't think this works. In order to clear enough cap space to sign Hwayward, we have to cut out all players with options. So Zeller wouldn't be available to trade in this scenario. I'd love for that to be the 2017 Celtics, but I don't think it works numbers wise.

Not to mention trading Brooklyn's 2019 pick, Memphis' 2018 pick, Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder is a massive overpay for DeAndre Jordan.

mrblisterdundee
05-01-2017, 06:31 PM

San Antonio
Denver
Sacramento
Minnesota
Miami
Chicago
Milwaukee
New York
Brooklyn

Half those teams are in the lottery. Why would he go to a lottery team? He's not moving any team's needle that much.

Cracka2HI!
05-01-2017, 08:08 PM
I can't see Paul leaving after he personally was the driving force behind a rule that made him eligible to sign the Super-Max with the Clippers. Would he make a rule for himself and then not take advantage of it? I don't see him leaving $70 million on the table.

Tg11
05-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Even if CP3 doesn't leave I think Blake will

Oakmont_4
05-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Not to mention trading Brooklyn's 2019 pick, Memphis' 2018 pick, Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder is a massive overpay for DeAndre Jordan.

Eh, you have to factor in Hayward too because he's part of the equation. If I can essentially net Hayward and Jordan for that package...I'm all for it. But as I said, number wise, it's an impossibility.

I'd settle for just adding Hayward to this group anyways.

Thomas/Rozier
Bradley/Smart
Hayward/Brown
Crowder/Yabusele
Horford/Zizic

That's a very solid team. Plus the additions of a top 4 pick in 2017 and wherever the BRK 18 pick falls. This team still desperately needs a rim protector, but they'd have the assets to get one. It doesn't have to be Jordan.

Vinylman
05-03-2017, 08:59 AM
I can't see Paul leaving after he personally was the driving force behind a rule that made him eligible to sign the Super-Max with the Clippers. Would he make a rule for himself and then not take advantage of it? I don't see him leaving $70 million on the table.

hopefully he doesn't make all nba

This is the one way that sports writers and broadcasters can get revenge on players..

Not to mention CP3 only played 75% of the games this year.

clearly in the backcourt the following guys are ahead of him

Russ
Harden
Curry
Isiah Thomas

just off the top of my head there are a ton of guys who had better years statistically and played almost the entire year

Wall
Lillard
Irving
McCollum
klay

I really don't have CP3 in the top 6

Cracka2HI!
05-04-2017, 06:44 PM
hopefully he doesn't make all nba

This is the one way that sports writers and broadcasters can get revenge on players..

Not to mention CP3 only played 75% of the games this year.

clearly in the backcourt the following guys are ahead of him

Russ
Harden
Curry
Isiah Thomas

just off the top of my head there are a ton of guys who had better years statistically and played almost the entire year

Wall
Lillard
Irving
McCollum
klay

I really don't have CP3 in the top 6

I have either CP3 or Klay 6th with Wall 5th. No disputing the top 4. It doesn't really matter though. The rule states you have to make the All-NBA team in your career to be eligible. CP3, Blake and even DJ are already eligible.

ciaban
05-04-2017, 08:39 PM
One thing the clippers could do is sign JJ for the max and trade him for Melo, getting him would make CP3 more inclind to resign, then they could go get a better defensive 3-D type 2 gaurd to help on defense, which is where Reddick lacks anyway.

east fb knicks
05-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Cp3 to knicks :dance:

Oakmont_4
05-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Cp3 to knicks :dance:

He wants to win...

Vinylman
05-05-2017, 08:20 AM
I have either CP3 or Klay 6th with Wall 5th. No disputing the top 4. It doesn't really matter though. The rule states you have to make the All-NBA team in your career to be eligible. CP3, Blake and even DJ are already eligible.

oh... my mistake... I thought it had to be the year BEFORE the extension was signed...

man o man the owners are idiots to agree to that.

I found this so I guess he qualifies but a guy like PG doesn't if he doesn't make it this year

1. He makes one of the three all-NBA teams or is named either defensive player of the year or most valuable player the previous season.
2. He has made one of the three all-NBA teams or has been named defensive*player of the year in two of the prior three seasons or the league’s most valuable player in one of the three prior seasons.

FlashBolt
05-05-2017, 11:29 PM
I think CP3 doesn't opt out, stays for the year, then in 2018, when him+Wade+Melo+LeBron are all free agents, they find a way to get together. There's no way it's a coincidence all of them happen to be FA in that year. Just no way.

WaDe03
05-06-2017, 10:37 AM
I think CP3 doesn't opt out, stays for the year, then in 2018, when him+Wade+Melo+LeBron are all free agents, they find a way to get together. There's no way it's a coincidence all of them happen to be FA in that year. Just no way.

This summer with CP3 will be very telling. I don't think they team up in LA on the Clippers do you? I will say if so, they have the perfect center next to them. I just think they'd rather do it out East, maybe even next to Whiteside.

WaDe03
05-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Well ****, if you're right Flashbolt that means I have to waste another year with his wack *** organization all the way from the top (FO) to the bottom (fans) becusee Wade is going to opt in and get that money before taking a huge pay cut in 2018. **** they might as well bring Bosh along for the minimum if he's cleared.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Even if CP3 doesn't leave I think Blake will

Blake to the Thunder? Walks or sign and trade?