PDA

View Full Version : Giannis Antetokounmpo - A Loser During "Winning Time"

KnicksorBust
04-28-2017, 08:08 AM
There is no doubt that Giannis is one of the best players in the world. He is a budding star. But he showed exactly why this season he was not ready for the spotlight as he blew ALL of the last 4 defensive possessions down the stretch of the Bucks lose to the Raptors including mishandling the last offensive possession of the game.

Score: 80-78 Mil
Time: 3:06 remaining
Play: Giannis is guarding Demar Derozan who receives a screen from Ibaka. There is plenty of space to fight over the screen or he could have slid under the screen forcing Derozan to take a 28 foot 3pter. Instead he gets swallowed up by the screen. Derozan does not ride the screen tight or immediately explode to the rim. Yet Giannis does not sprint in front, contest the shot, or switch to Ibaka.
Grade: C

Score: 82-80 Mil
Time: 2:30 remaining
Play: Giannis is guarding Demar Derozan who is on the wing. The ball goes to Patrick Patterson who swings it to Cory Joseph in the corner. At this point Derozan is the farthest player from the basketball yet Giannis is not in help defense and there is no one in the paint. Patterson cuts to the rim and Giannis is late allowing PP to get an easy dunk.
Grade: F

Score: 82-82 Tie
Time: 1:30 remaining
Play: Ball screen on Giannis and he guards no one. All his teammates pick up and he stands around while the ball is swung around the perimeter to a wide open Cory Joseph. I've seen NBA teams handle screens differently. Fight over, go under, switch, rotate for the swing. He did nothing and made no impact with his teams season on the line.
Grade: D

Score: 85-82 Tor
Time: 1:10 remaining
Play: Derozan is guarded by Thon Maker off an inbounds play. Derozan easily drives middle and there is no one in the paint except Giannis. Giannis instead of stepping up to contest the shot, take a charge, or force a pass, watches as Derozan throws down a huge slam dunk.

Score: 90-87 Tor
Time: about 10 seconds
Play: Giannis is being guarded by Kyle Lowry. He dribbles around wasting valuable time before driving to the lane and dunking the ball with 3.5 seconds left essentially ending the game as the Bucks had no timeouts left.

Valid criticism or unfair targeting in a small sample?

aman_13
04-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Giannis played 47 minutes and was a big reason why they came back. He just got tired down the stretch.

tredigs
04-28-2017, 09:44 AM
He was terrible down the stretch and clearly is not there from a bbiq standpoint (the late 2 was beyond inexcusable after wasting the clock), but I give him a slight pass due to his age and the fact that he was clearly exhausted. His minutes were mis managed.

D-Leethal
04-28-2017, 09:45 AM
It's tough to get those late game buckets when you can't shoot or create your own shot. He had a midget on him sagging off down 3 in crunch time and didn't have the confidence to take the shot.

ManRam
04-28-2017, 09:45 AM
He's 22. What he did this series should leave people feeling far more optimistic about his future than not. He did fall apart defensively (and offensively) at the end, but as aman said, he was probably gassed. He looked gassed to me. Learn from it and move on.

He's 22.

Should he be criticized? Sure. Those are valid criticisms. There are some logical explanations, and it doesn't really mean much for his future ability to be a star, but yeah. He's not perfect yet. But he shouldn't be.

warfelg
04-28-2017, 09:50 AM
It's tough to get those late game buckets when you can't shoot or create your own shot. He had a midget on him sagging off down 3 in crunch time and didn't have the confidence to take the shot.

This^^

mrblisterdundee
04-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Yep; Giannis is a work horse and the next version of LeBron if he can get a shot. But as it stands, I'd rather have the ball in Middleton, Brogdon or Terry's hands at the end of the game.

Hawkeye15
04-28-2017, 11:39 AM
He's 22. What he did this series should leave people feeling far more optimistic about his future than not. He did fall apart defensively (and offensively) at the end, but as aman said, he was probably gassed. He looked gassed to me. Learn from it and move on.

He's 22.

Should he be criticized? Sure. Those are valid criticisms. There are some logical explanations, and it doesn't really mean much for his future ability to be a star, but yeah. He's not perfect yet. But he shouldn't be.

I tend so agree with this. Even Michael got his butt kicked early in his playoff years.

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Come on. He's 22 and played 47 minutes. One of his team's best players (Jabari) was out, and they were so unconfident in their guards that ****ing ancient Jason Terry played crunch time. This is clearly an incomplete player playing on an incomplete team. That's fine. They have time. Giannis will be back. This team will be back.

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Who's that crazy Bucks fan who claims Giannis is better than LeBron, etc.? I said it from the start, Giannis is great but his inability to shoot is the only thing stopping him from being the best player in the future. The guy has the perfect physique. His late game decision making is also very questionable but it definitely improves after more experience. That drive to the basket for the 2 point was a terrible mistake. Not sure what went through his mind but you have to take that three with that little time left. He'll get better but I'm a bit more surprised DeRozan showed up the way he did.

smith&wesson
04-28-2017, 03:54 PM
The guy played the entire game and if you watched this series I don't know how you can criticize him, he's actually unbelievable.

ewing
04-28-2017, 04:29 PM
The guy played the entire game and if you watched this series I don't know how you can criticize him, he's actually unbelievable.

b/c he drove and dunked the ball down 3 with 3 seconds left.

Scoots
04-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Who's that crazy Bucks fan who claims Giannis is better than LeBron, etc.?

He hasn't posted since late March.

flea
04-28-2017, 06:41 PM
I saw bits of a couple games, didn't really watch any EC games during the regular season unless it was the Cavs. But from what I can tell he's good if he gets to his right hand on the drive, but if he can't you've won as a defender. I guess it's cool to be the new Lebron but if I had a guy with arms as long as his I'd put him in the post and I'd teach him to score off the ball.

He has basically no development outside the NBA but I think it's a testament to the "put your work in" approach that someone like Leonard has turned out to be so polished after being an entirely off-ball player for his first 3 or 4 years out of college. He's definitely got talent and will likely have a good career but he could have a great one if he learns to do what he is able but that nobody else can do. If I were Kidd I'd say screw learning a 3 point J, live in the post and don't stop moving off the ball. Be the next Magic Johnson.

tredigs
04-28-2017, 06:48 PM
Also worth noting that his FT shooting down the stretch (and all series) was a disaster.

That said, this guy is going to be a top 5 player for a decade if he can stay on the court and continue to improve. His shot was actually fantastic in this series other than the FT misses.

Tg11
04-30-2017, 11:33 AM
The man is 22 but is only going to get better as the years progress

crewfan13
04-30-2017, 02:13 PM
As a bucks fan, he still has a long ways to go as a shooter and pure scorer. But he does everything else so incredibly well, he can still be a top 10 player in the league without developing into an elite crunch time player.

I think people focus so much on the last two minutes of games that anyone who is good in the last two minutes (basically guys who can hit contested jumpers somewhat regularly) tend to get overrated. Giannis basically single handedly kept the bucks in that game. Give me a guy who's elite for the first 46 minutes over a guy who's elite only in the last two. That's part of the reason we drafted Jabari. Giannis can be the leader and be a great offensive and defensive guy who lets Jabari be the guy who goes one on one with 8 seconds left.