PDA

View Full Version : The Uncertain Offseason of the Spurs

kobe4thewinbang
04-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Read a nice article on Pounding the Rock, the Spurs community, and thought since people don't seem to talk about them much here other than in game threads and the like, that this would illuminate the Spurs challenge this off-season.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/3/5/14797000/spurs-can-resign-dewayne-dedmon-summer

Observations, mine and also presumably the team:

Kawhi is definitely earning that contract, holy crap.
Aldridge hasn't quite been worth that contract, if you ask me.
Dewayne Dedmon is balling, and is 99.9% likely to opt out of his measly 3 million contract.
Manu Ginobili should retire, as most fans on that blog agree, or at least take a pay cut again.
Patty Mills is likely going to attract 10 million and up per year interest in the offseason.
Pau Gasol has been okay, but it's choice to opt in or not, and it looks like he will, for the better.

So, the Dewayne Dedmon challenge. Do you pay him the mid-level exception of 8.4 million, and does he even take it? He's not young, and the Spurs may simply not be able to compete financially for his services. Popovich might tell him to go, like he did with Boban Marjanovic. I heard the Spurs have a rookie prospect overseas that could amount to what Dedmon does.

Patty Mills could make more money somewhere else. He was huge in their last title run, and do the Spurs sign him with the intent of raising expectations? Will he see more minutes in the future, as Parker becomes more of a distributor? I heard Mills already runs the second unit, and reportedly loves playing for the Spurs. He does have injury history, but I think he would be worth the contract. However, that would make it harder to retain Dedmon for more than the MLE.

Others:

David Lee may opt in, cuz he's already made the big bucks in his career. Or maybe he does go elsewhere, and the Spurs would be forced to let him.

Danny Green and Tony Parker: Do you try to trade these two? Danny's defense is good, but people have been lamenting his lack of reliable offense. If he was a poor man's Klay Thompson (like he appeared to be in that one Finals against the Heat before the Spurs lost), but he's just not.

They could try to trade Lamarcus Aldridge, who might still be worth something to trade partners. I've been hearing a lot of hate for him, especially since clearly Kawhi took over this team with his production and effort. Aldridge has been a real head-scratcher, and honestly I think the Spurs should've let him go to Dallas or LA or Phoenix. He clearly really wanted to join the Spurs, but where is the fire and beast-like showings of 40 points and above like he had for the Blazers? He's not making up for Duncan's absence much. If the Spurs get an offer that helps them better decide on Dedmon and Mills, I think they should take it unless Aldridge starts beasting before the playoffs end.

Offseason Interests:

Spurs were rumored to like Ricky Rubio and Mike Conley. Scratch off Conley, but Rubio is still actively trying to be traded by Minnesota. I don't know how I feel about him, since his shooting has never been there but Spurs do have that solid shooting coach. Likely a Parker/Rubio swap, though, which is probably why it didn't happen.

My opinion:
They should try to trade Aldridge.
They should try to sign Dedmon and Mills on reasonable deals, prioritizing Mills.
I hope Ginobili retires. The fact that he went 4 playoff games without scoring? It's time.

Overall, the Spurs could win it all this year, but most fans think either Cavaliers or Warriors are safer bets. If Aldridge was balling, though, I could see people changing that tune. Heck, even with Kawhi only having out-of-body showings, they still got a shot in a 7-game series.

Chronz
04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Man I wish we could lend them CP3 for these playoffs.

Quinnsanity
04-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Who's to say they won't chase CP3 this summer? Obviously the best case scenario cap wise would be Tony Parker retiring and Gasol opting out, but even if neither of those things happen AND they can't trade either (out of loyalty or inability), if they used the stretch provision on both they'd get to almost $30 million in space (once they renounce their own free agents, sorry Patty Mills and Dewayne Dedmon, you guys are good, but not Chris Paul good). Not Chris Paul's max, but pretty damn close. I think that's a meeting that happens. I have no idea how highly Chris Paul will value the security of the five-year max he negotiated for in the CBA as union president against the chance to win in San Antonio, but again, I think the meeting happens at the very least.

Vee-Rex
04-27-2017, 04:33 PM

Me too.

I'd sign Dedmon to a long contract if possible. Throw him 10-12 million if he desires. David Lee is in decline and even if he opts in he'll likely be gone the following year or suck that year. Gasol is in a similar situation - he opts in but he becomes a nice expiring to trade.

Signing Dedmon keeps a good big man on the squad several years in the future.

Patty Mills could be retained as well but that's where the Spurs have to be wary. Try to keep him but if he demands too much money you gotta let him go. He's just not worth it IMO. Idk, maybe 6-7 per year might do it?

I'd keep Danny Green as well.

Aldridge is the one player I'd entertain/dangle in the trade market. They could probably get a good return for him.

I suppose I largely agree with the OP.

Vee-Rex
04-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Who's to say they won't chase CP3 this summer? Obviously the best case scenario cap wise would be Tony Parker retiring and Gasol opting out, but even if neither of those things happen AND they can't trade either (out of loyalty or inability), if they used the stretch provision on both they'd get to almost $30 million in space (once they renounce their own free agents, sorry Patty Mills and Dewayne Dedmon, you guys are good, but not Chris Paul good). Not Chris Paul's max, but pretty damn close. I think that's a meeting that happens. I have no idea how highly Chris Paul will value the security of the five-year max he negotiated for in the CBA as union president against the chance to win in San Antonio, but again, I think the meeting happens at the very least.

Yeah, if CP3 is seriously interested in joining the Spurs then they gotta do whatever it takes to make room to sign him. Pairing him up with Kawhi in Pop's system would be awesome.

valade16
04-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Hope LMA feels good leaving Portland.

kdspurman
04-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Hope LMA feels good leaving Portland.

His numbers aren't as sexy, but man... He's a real workhorse on the defensive end. Like really good.. Switching on the perimeter, guarding in the post, contesting shots, etc...

And if they advance, he'll likely have an easier time scoring the ball than he has against the Grizz.

kdspurman
04-27-2017, 05:22 PM
It's tough to determine with the playoffs still happening. Like if Patty is amazing moving forward, it makes keeping him tougher. But if he struggles, then maybe things can be worked out.

There's def some uncertainty, but this is coming off an off-season where we just kinda went through a significant change.

I've come to just trust the process from the FO. CP3 would be great, but idk how realistic that is.

valade16
04-27-2017, 05:29 PM
His numbers aren't as sexy, but man... He's a real workhorse on the defensive end. Like really good.. Switching on the perimeter, guarding in the post, contesting shots, etc...

And if they advance, he'll likely have an easier time scoring the ball than he has against the Grizz.

Which is why I always disputed when people said he wasn't that good defensively in Portland. He was good when he wanted to be, he just never expended much effort on defense because he wanted to be the man offensively.

kobe4thewinbang
04-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Aldridge is underwhelming to me for that reason, though. He loves to beast down low and hit that jumper. He should love a fight with the Grizzlies. Other dudes on the Spurs can't do that other than Pau in his heyday. I guess what I'm saying is the Spurs offense doesn't match perfectly with Aldridge being such a force like Duncan used to be.

kobe4thewinbang
04-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Some of my thoughts on Ricky Rubio from research and stat study:

Main criticism people have against him: He's having his best shooting season, shooting 40% compared to 38% and down for his career by season. He actually shoots 3PTers better than mid-range jumpers, with his best percentage being naturally near the basket. He is shooting about 10 times a game, so he seems more confident in doing so.

Durablity: He's played 75+ games the last two seasons after only playing 22 the year before then.

Passing: His assists are at their highest. Some Spurs fans do not think he would fit the "Spur-fection" ball movement strategy, as he is a Rondo-like ball-dominant player. The Spurs have a great amount of shooters for a savvy passing guard. Parker doesn't 'turn it on' like he used to with scoring, and Rubio has an occasional big outing, so I don't think it would hurt too much. He's more of a passer than Parker, too, with the assists (which are likely to increase with the Spurs shooting %), and Skip Bayless always gets after Parker for "dribble-dribble-dribbling" too much. At least in Rubio's case, it would translate to more passes, although Spurs fans see a huge difference in finishing around the rim compared to Tony.

I think you try to trade a guy like Danny Green who is 29yo and whose shooting % has never gone back up, really. He's even less than 40% overall which is sketchy for a scorer, with also his 3PT at 38% after averaging 40%+ for 4 seasons. Green is also shooting less times per game, which might be telling.

Timberwolves get: Danny Green, and either Forbes or Anderson
Spurs get: Rubio
Salaries work pretty much, and Wolves would have a better SG than they have right now other than LaVine.

Rubio's defense may offset losing Danny Green, who would help out Minnesota with Lavine having some injury problems and he would fit nicely into Thibodeau's defensive style. He averages 1.7 steals compared to Green's 1.0 and Rubio is 6'4".

Maybe Green needs a change of scenery. What do you guys think? Are you a fan of Rubio, kdspurman?

kdspurman
04-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Some of my thoughts on Ricky Rubio from research and stat study:

Main criticism people have against him: He's having his best shooting season, shooting 40% compared to 38% and down for his career by season. He actually shoots 3PTers better than mid-range jumpers, with his best percentage being naturally near the basket. He is shooting about 10 times a game, so he seems more confident in doing so.

Durablity: He's played 75+ games the last two seasons after only playing 22 the year before then.

Passing: His assists are at their highest. Some Spurs fans do not think he would fit the "Spur-fection" ball movement strategy, as he is a Rondo-like ball-dominant player. The Spurs have a great amount of shooters for a savvy passing guard. Parker doesn't 'turn it on' like he used to with scoring, and Rubio has an occasional big outing, so I don't think it would hurt too much. He's more of a passer than Parker, too, with the assists (which are likely to increase with the Spurs shooting %), and Skip Bayless always gets after Parker for "dribble-dribble-dribbling" too much. At least in Rubio's case, it would translate to more passes, although Spurs fans see a huge difference in finishing around the rim compared to Tony.

I think you try to trade a guy like Danny Green who is 29yo and whose shooting % has never gone back up, really. He's even less than 40% overall which is sketchy for a scorer, with also his 3PT at 38% after averaging 40%+ for 4 seasons. Green is also shooting less times per game, which might be telling.

Timberwolves get: Danny Green, and either Forbes or Anderson
Spurs get: Rubio
Salaries work pretty much, and Wolves would have a better SG than they have right now other than LaVine.

Rubio's defense may offset losing Danny Green, who would help out Minnesota with Lavine having some injury problems and he would fit nicely into Thibodeau's defensive style. He averages 1.7 steals compared to Green's 1.0 and Rubio is 6'4".

Maybe Green needs a change of scenery. What do you guys think? Are you a fan of Rubio, kdspurman?

I wouldn't do that. I think CP3 would be the best option, but I don't think that'll happen. Green's game has been effected by the Spurs new offense, but with Kawhi continuing to grow as a play maker and getting guys open looks, I think Green will be back to form again. Plus, his defense is too valuable to lose.

The Spurs seem to like Dejounte Murray, they seem high on him being the PG of the future for them. He's got good size/athleticism, he just needs to play more and work on his decision making. If they end up not keeping Patty, it'll expedite his growth. He's kind of raw like TP was when he came into the league, but a bit more polished than rookie TP.

I guess I don't think that move makes them much better than they were this season

Quinnsanity
04-28-2017, 12:31 PM

This is something that doesn't get talked about enough. Aldridge was a below average defensive player in Portland. He's not great in San Antonio, but he's SIGNIFICANTLY better.

LA4life24/8
04-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Yeah, if CP3 is seriously interested in joining the Spurs then they gotta do whatever it takes to make room to sign him. Pairing him up with Kawhi in Pop's system would be awesome.

Theyd be idiotic not to

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Aldridge is underwhelming to me for that reason, though. He loves to beast down low and hit that jumper. He should love a fight with the Grizzlies. Other dudes on the Spurs can't do that other than Pau in his heyday. I guess what I'm saying is the Spurs offense doesn't match perfectly with Aldridge being such a force like Duncan used to be.

Having him there with Leonard and CP3.... CP3 would make LMA look great.... I mean, he made David West look like an All-Star in NO.

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:39 PM

Anything to take the Warriors down!