PDA

View Full Version : Assemble a Team (All-Time) Who Can Beat THIS Team in 7 Games: GO!

lol, please
04-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Curry
Klay
Durant
Bird (prime)
Shaq (prime)

Livingston
Clark
Iggy
West
Zaza

Any era, any version of players.

GREATNESS ONE
04-27-2017, 12:41 AM
Can we use the same players? Or we have to pick different ones?

GREATNESS ONE
04-27-2017, 12:43 AM
Magic Johnson
Micheal Jordan
Lebron James
Tim Duncan
Hakeem Olajuwon

Gary Payton
Kobe Bryant
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
Kareem A Jabbar

More-Than-Most
04-27-2017, 01:07 AM
Magic Johnson
Micheal Jordan
Lebron James
Tim Duncan
Hakeem Olajuwon

Gary Payton
Kobe Bryant
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
Kareem A Jabbar

And just like that its over lol... TKO lol... Didnt even need to see the reserves and the reserves had ****ing Kareem/Malone/Kobe/Pippen... Its a wrap.

lol, please
04-27-2017, 02:06 AM
Can we use the same players? Or we have to pick different ones?

You mean than the ones I already mentioned? Different ones lol, kinda defeats the point otherwise imo.

FOXHOUND
04-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Walt Frazier
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Draymond Green ;)
Hakeem Olajuwon

PG
In the 1972 NBA Finals, despite the Knicks losing that one in their trilogy with the Lakers, Walt Frazier held Jerry West to 19.8 PPG on .325 shooting in 41.2 MPG. West averaged 26 PPG on .477 shooting that season, in case you thought he was washed up or something. One of the most under appreciated players in NBA history.

Also, in 1970, he did this in game 7 when Reed was hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVjltXc5F8

SG
Michael Jordan.

SF
I went with Pippen for three simple reasons. One, I know the amazing two-way dynamic he had with Jordan. Two, I know he had the unbelievable tenacity and will to play great defense all game while taking on the best assignment. Three, I know that because of this he can have a great impact without needing to dominate the ball. LeBron is great, but LeBron would keep the ball from Jordan too much and doesn't like to defend for 48 minutes. Give me Pippen to muscle and shut down the skinny boy Durant.

PF
Like Pippen, give me the tenacious defender who knows his role and will defend like a hound dog all game. He can pass and stretch the floor. Also, just because of the Shaq vs Draymond thread and it being sweeter for them to win with him on it lol. Larry was incredible, but he wasn't the most athletic player. With Green on his *** and in his face all game, I like his chances to bother him enough to slow him down. He can also defend him anywhere on the court and limit his 3 point shooting as a result, of course.

C
The Man. The Myth. The Dream.

My team is incredibly skilled and would be the most insane defensive team ever assembled. You have four of the greatest Finals performers of all time. And Draymond Green.

More-Than-Most
04-27-2017, 02:59 AM
Let me be clear... If your team starts with anyone not named MJ and Lebron My team will always be better than your team period. Sorry.

IKnowHoops
04-27-2017, 03:09 AM
Too Easy

PG Lebron
SG Mike
SF KG
PF David Robinson
C Dream

PG Magic
SG Kobe
SF TMAC
PF Duncan
C Kareem

FOXHOUND
04-27-2017, 03:17 AM
Let me be clear... If your team starts with anyone not named MJ and Lebron My team will always be better than your team period. Sorry.

That's okay, TC's team doesn't have Jordan or LeBron.

Heediot
04-27-2017, 07:58 AM
Magic Johnson
Micheal Jordan
Lebron James
Tim Duncan
Hakeem Olajuwon

Gary Payton
Kobe Bryant
Scottie Pippen
Karl Malone
Kareem A Jabbar

you could make the argument that your bench could beat their starting 5. I am not going to even bother creating a team that can beat those warriors, it's too easy since his team has 2 top ten goat players leaving too many legends left to pick from.

mightybosstone
04-27-2017, 09:38 AM
The bench is irrelevant as OP just picked essentially the Warriors current bench, and I could name any list of hundreds of players that would be superior, so I'll stick to the starting five:

PG Chris Paul or John Stockton
SG Michael Jordan
SF Lebron James
PF Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett
C Hakeem Olajuwon

MJ and Lebron were obvious picks. Instead of Magic, I wanted a PG who could space the floor with a 3-point shot and defend at an elite level. Paul is the better peak player, but Stockton would do in a pinch as well. At center, Hakeem was a pretty obvious pick for me, not just as a Rockets fan, but because of his versatility, passing, mid-range game, interior defense and general playoff prowess. Plus, having played and competed well against Shaq when both guys were in their primes certainly helps.

The hardest pick was at PF. My first thought was to go with the floor spacer in Dirk or maybe push Lebron to the 4 to get another great 3 and D player at the 3. But when I really thought about it, Timmy or KG just made more sense. They're more than capable of guarding Bird on the perimeter, who certainly was not known for his speed or athleticism. But he would be totally outmatched trying to guard one of them in the paint. Plus, this gives my starting five a huge edge in rebounding and interior defense.

Yes, your squad will be able to space the floor, but defensively, you're going to have some major issues. And with five elite defenders on my roster, your guys won't have an easy time it, plus you'll get killed on the glass.
That series wouldn't even go more than five games barring just insane games from Curry and Durant.

mightybosstone
04-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Too Easy

PG Lebron
SG Mike
SF KG
PF David Robinson
C Dream

PG Magic
SG Kobe
SF TMAC
PF Duncan
C Kareem

Your first team makes no sense with KG at the 3. And neither team will have very good floor spacing at all. Swap out Kobe or T-Mac for a 3 and D wing and move Lebron to the 3 in favor of a PG who can shoot, and you'd be in really good shape.

mightybosstone
04-27-2017, 09:44 AM
Curry
Klay
Durant
Bird (prime)
Shaq (prime)

Livingston
Clark
Iggy
West
Zaza

Just out of curiosity, why go Bird instead of Lebron? Lebron would give you essentially a very rich man's version of Draymond Green. If your goal is to create the Warriors on steroids, Lebron is a much better pick for the 4 than Bird.

hugepatsfan
04-27-2017, 10:47 AM
PG: Ray Allen
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Lebron James
PF: KG
C: Dream

If you have Jordan and Lebron I don't think you need a true PG. You need a shooter. It's not like Curry is a defensive juggernaut that'll press the ball too. Lebron would really be your PG anyway.

The Dream seems like the best center to match up with Shaq, though no one really does.

I went with KG over Duncan/Malone/Dirk/Barkley because I think against a perimeter 4 like Bird he matches up much better defensively. He isn't a 3 point shooter but he is money from mid range so he clears the paint a little bit too. Amazing passer too (as is Hakeem) so that compensates for no true PG.

mrblisterdundee
04-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Curry
Klay
Durant
Bird (prime)
Shaq (prime)

Livingston
Clark
Iggy
West
Zaza

I don't get it. Are you trolling yourself? Do you seriously think it's a challenge to assemble a combination of the greatest players ever to beat the current Warriors?
This thread seems rather silly, but I'll try to make it interesting, using only active players in the eastern conference:

PG: John Wall, Isaiah Thomas
SG: Jimmy Butler, Bradley Beal
SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Paul George
PF: LeBron James, Paul Millsap
C: Joel Embiid, Serge Ibaka

Edit: Even that's not interesting. Let's do it with only active players from teams located in the Deep South (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee):

PG: Mike Conley, Goran Dragic
SG: James Harden, Eric Gordon
SF: Kawhi Leonard, Harrison Barnes
PF: Anthony Davis, Dirk Nowitzki
C: DeMarcus Cousins, Hassan Whiteside

Edit: Even that's not interesting. Let's do it with only Golden State's best former players:

PG: Tim Hardaway, Baron Davis
SG: Mitch Richmond, Paul Arizin
SF: Rick Barry, Chris Mullin
PF: Nate Thurmond, Chris Webber
C: Wilt Chamberlain, Joe Barry Carroll

Edit: Even that's not interesting ... aw, forget it.

IKnowHoops
04-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Your first team makes no sense with KG at the 3. And neither team will have very good floor spacing at all. Swap out Kobe or T-Mac for a 3 and D wing and move Lebron to the 3 in favor of a PG who can shoot, and you'd be in really good shape.

Guess you never saw KG play the 3 and guard Tmac. He held Tmac to 4 points one game. Naw, I'll leave the best wing defender ever at the 3. Yes better at guarding SF's than Scottie or Lebron. KG would be the best defender ever against KD, and everyone on the team has a GREAT mid range game so the spacing will be fine.

Why swap Kobe or Tmac out for a 3 and D when Kobe and Tmac both play amazing defense, can hit the three and do so much more?!?! Not really into dumbing down my team.

IKnowHoops
04-27-2017, 11:57 AM
The bench is irrelevant as OP just picked essentially the Warriors current bench, and I could name any list of hundreds of players that would be superior, so I'll stick to the starting five:

PG Chris Paul or John Stockton
SG Michael Jordan
SF Lebron James
PF Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett
C Hakeem Olajuwon

MJ and Lebron were obvious picks. Instead of Magic, I wanted a PG who could space the floor with a 3-point shot and defend at an elite level. Paul is the better peak player, but Stockton would do in a pinch as well. At center, Hakeem was a pretty obvious pick for me, not just as a Rockets fan, but because of his versatility, passing, mid-range game, interior defense and general playoff prowess. Plus, having played and competed well against Shaq when both guys were in their primes certainly helps.

The hardest pick was at PF. My first thought was to go with the floor spacer in Dirk or maybe push Lebron to the 4 to get another great 3 and D player at the 3. But when I really thought about it, Timmy or KG just made more sense. They're more than capable of guarding Bird on the perimeter, who certainly was not known for his speed or athleticism. But he would be totally outmatched trying to guard one of them in the paint. Plus, this gives my starting five a huge edge in rebounding and interior defense.

Yes, your squad will be able to space the floor, but defensively, you're going to have some major issues. And with five elite defenders on my roster, your guys won't have an easy time it, plus you'll get killed on the glass.
That series wouldn't even go more than five games barring just insane games from Curry and Durant.

PG Lebron
SG Jordan
SF KG
PF David Robinson
C Hakeem

Plus my team beats your team anyway. My team is better defensively and offensively.

Lebron will punish Chris Paul
and then KG will do the best job possible on Lebron.

DRob is a better defender and scorer than either KG or Duncan

So...

And Chris paul isn't going to give you spacing. He's just one guy and Lebron or Jordan will be guarding him so not really worried at all. The rest of my team can guard yours straight up.

I have better offense, defense, and rebounding. You have Chris Paul's spacing. Nothing.

valade16
04-27-2017, 12:41 PM
PG: Draymond Green
SG: Draymond Green
SF: Draymond Green
PF: Draymond Green
C: Draymond Green

/thread

Hawkeye15
04-27-2017, 02:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, why go Bird instead of Lebron? Lebron would give you essentially a very rich man's version of Draymond Green. If your goal is to create the Warriors on steroids, Lebron is a much better pick for the 4 than Bird.

because he hates LeBron with a mortal passion

Hawkeye15
04-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Guess you never saw KG play the 3 and guard Tmac. He held Tmac to 4 points one game. Naw, I'll leave the best wing defender ever at the 3. Yes better at guarding SF's than Scottie or Lebron. KG would be the best defender ever against KD, and everyone on the team has a GREAT mid range game so the spacing will be fine.

Why swap Kobe or Tmac out for a 3 and D when Kobe and Tmac both play amazing defense, can hit the three and do so much more?!?! Not really into dumbing down my team.

KG never played the 3. Ever. He did a good job guarding T-Mac for periods of time though, but I wouldn't want him chasing around perimeter players full time.

Yanks All Day
04-27-2017, 02:52 PM
Starters:

Chris Paul
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Tim Duncan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Bench:

Magic Johnson
Ray Allen
Scottie Pippen
Draymond Green
Anthony Davis

lol, please
04-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Yea, I wanted to be completion-ist and do more than just the starting 5, but I did the mistake of assuming that because I would create a bench of realistic bench players, everyone else would do the same. Once I saw GREATNESS ONE add players like Kobe to his bench, I knew I had missed the mark and should have been more explicit.

:)

I don't like Lebron, you know this. Even if it makes my team worse, I'll turn away a player I don't like for a lesser one, as ridiculous as it sounds. If I'm building a fantasy team it will never have players I dislike, regardless of their talent.

Leaving Green out was more strategic than emotional. I wanted to encourage people to hit me with the counter-argument that without Green, the Warriors defensive schemes would change and make them weaker defensively. I want gaps/weaknesses to be exploited in my roster, that's the point of the thread, to stimulate such discussion. Does the added offensive ability trump the loss of Green defensively? etc.

I didn't want to create the warriors on steriods, just a starting 5 incredibly hard to beat, if that makes sense.

One Nut Kruk
04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you'd be a really crappy GM

lol, please
04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
I don't get it. Are you trolling yourself? Do you seriously think it's a challenge to assemble a combination of the greatest players ever to beat the current Warriors?

Well considering the fact that this Warriors team in current form is the greatest team ever assembled, adding a few ATG's to the roster and asking people to assemble a team of players All-Time who can beat this enhanced squad seems pretty reasonable to me.

Unless of course you disagree that this team is the best to ever grace a floor. That's fine, but statistics will back my claim over yours.

lol, please
04-27-2017, 03:33 PM
you could make the argument that your bench could beat their starting 5. I am not going to even bother creating a team that can beat those warriors, it's too easy since his team has 2 top ten goat players leaving too many legends left to pick from.

Which two? Because I see 3: Curry, Bird, and Shaq.

lol, please
04-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Sounds like you'd be a really crappy GM

I would be. Have no problem conceding it. I'd also make a crappy FA athlete - I can't separate emotion from sports, in fact I refuse to - a fan by definition is emotionally invested and driven - with the exception of sports betting, I am too aware of biases and their effects on trading, betting, and similar to not stick to principles and methodologies to avoid these pitfalls as much as possible.

GREATNESS ONE
04-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Which two? Because I see 3: Curry, Bird, and Shaq.

As much as I respect Curry's game, he's not top 10 yet, even though I do believe it's possible for him to get top 10

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Curry: CP3
Klay: Ray Allen
Durant: LBJ
Bird (prime): Tim Duncan
Shaq (prime): Hakeem

Livingston: Gary Payton
Clark: Mitch Richmond
Iggy: Pippen
West: Kevin Garnett
Zaza: Bill Laimbeer

lakerfan85
04-27-2017, 11:34 PM
KG never played the 3. Ever. He did a good job guarding T-Mac for periods of time though, but I wouldn't want him chasing around perimeter players full time.

But he knows hoops..

Bostonjorge
04-28-2017, 02:47 AM
C. B Wallace
PF. R Wallace
SF. Jordan
SG. Kobe
PG. Pippen

Coach Phill Jackson

Both Wallace bigs battled and took down Shaq. In LA and Miami. Strong defense and rebounding duel.

Just like at last years Finals. You take away Currys shot and he becomes a burden. Curry gets destroyed when he's forced into ISO defense. Kobe and Jordan are the best ISO players ever. They will take advantage of that matchup all game long.

Pippen plays the Green role for my team. Pippen can play Defense, Rebound, and run the offense.

JAZZNC
04-28-2017, 05:34 AM
Stockton
Ray Allen
K. Leonard
Dirk
Shaq

Bench is completely irrelevant at this point.

warfelg
04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Magic
MJ
Bron
C-Webb
Shaq

AI
Ray Allen
Pippen
Rodman
Laimbeer

Some dirty play on the bench is always awesome. And if you try to pull a "LOD" on them slide C-Webb to the 5, Bron to the 4, Pippen in at the 3. Pippen would pretty much always come in with AI to make up for AI's lack of passing.

WaDe03
04-28-2017, 09:36 AM
What's the point of this lol

lol, please
04-28-2017, 06:24 PM
What's the point of this lol

I can re-explain it for you:

Build a team with any players in history that can beat the roster I listed, and provide a good argument why your team would win in 7.

:)