PDA

View Full Version : are we getting ripped off??

krazylegz
04-24-2017, 05:40 PM
With how the NBA game is played now,more perimeter play,less defense,bad officiating,etc.,are we,the fans,being ripped off? The reason for this thread is because the athletes of today are super human freaks and we the fans arent seeing them play at their fullest ability with how the NBA is played,and that my friends is sad. One of my memories growing up playing basketball was how the saying "white boys like the 3" was always tossed around. The saying was popular for the fact that,as a rule,the little white boys liked staying behind the arc,while the more athletic kids were crushing it inside. Well,in todays NBA,these super human athletes have become the small UN-athletic kid, preferring to shoot from far away then get physical inside. I sometimes think,if i were in the NBA,as a 6'1" 170lb dude,with not even close to the ability of even a junior college player,what would be my shot of choice? Well,probably the 25-30 ft shot in hopes of making the basket. That would be my only chance! God help me if i even tried to get inside that 3 pt arch:( Why is that the shot of men who can jump out of a gym and clock 4.5 in the 40. It just doesnt make sense on how we are watering down these god among men athletes in the NBA. And god,dont get me started on the defense in todays game. On that side of the ball,even your local newspaper boy would be considered a pest and probably foul out in the 3rd quarter if he played with the gusto he does at the local YMCA.....

Lions werent de-clawed and de-toothed to make it easier for the gladiators in the colosieum. The Romans were treated to seeing those warriors at the best of their ability against an opponent with no restrictions,I only wish we were so lucky.....minus the bloody gruesomeness of course!....so what can the league do? No 3s? Which would actually force offensive players to be more savvy. Let teams play defense again? Which would bring back competitiveness on BOTH sides of the ball (something i havent seen in 10+ years)...either way,something needs to be done

Vee-Rex
04-24-2017, 05:54 PM
I'd prefer if the refs were looser with the whistles and games didn't devolve into free throw fests. The amount of guys trying to draw shooting fouls without even trying to make the shot is utterly ridiculous. I don't blame the players, I blame the officiating. The players will stop doing that if they aren't awarded free throws.

Other than that, I love everything else.

tp13baby
04-24-2017, 06:39 PM
NBA needs is to take a stronger stand on arguing with refs. The interpretation I get is refs don't want to be shown up by the faces of the league so they call ticky tac ****. Sick of watching stars like Durant, Harden, and others not getting touched or very minimal and because they ***** and flop they get late game calls that change the entire complexion of the game.

JasonJohnHorn
04-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Well... I remember when defense rules in the early-mid 90's, and post play was big (high efficiency) and people used to bemoan that the Showtime Lakers and Celtics and high scoring games were more fun, and this 'slowed-down-grind-it-out' basketball, was not as exciting. However, with guys like Nique and Jordan (among others) throwing down impressive in-game dunks, and power players like Shaq breaking backboards, people seemed to enjoy that.

I like the game. I love watching the ball get moved around, because as a player in highschool, I remember our coaching preaching that to us. I love watching strong defensive sets lock a team out. I love the extra pass for hte corner three, or the fast break on the turnover that came from good defense.

This basketball that is being played right now... inflated though the stats may be, is entertaining, and as entertaining as any brand or era of basketball I've ever seen. I do miss post play a little, but there are still great post players. I don't miss dunks, because there are still lots of them.

In short, we're in for a treat. Athleticism and skill. It's great.

More-Than-Most
04-24-2017, 09:47 PM
I dont care if they call everything or call nothing... Its when they call **** that bothers me... A foul is only a foul until the final minutes of the 4th.... A foul is never a foul for the home team if they are on a slight run and the crowd is going insane.... It gives a moronic unfair ability to defenses late whom know they could kick a guy in the nuts on the last shot of the game because of some stupid notion that we need to let the players decide the game.... Officiating in basketball is the worst of any sport and its not close.... The refs let the atmosphere/time of the game and how special players are dictate what is and isnt a foul.

ewing
04-24-2017, 10:09 PM
Yes

Yanks All Day
04-24-2017, 10:40 PM
This is the most skilled, talented, and exciting generation of basketball ever being played. Sure, the play of big men has diminished, but the other 4 positions have gome way up.

The 80s and 90s couldn't dream of PGs like Westbrook and Wall. Shooters like JJ Redick are better than 95% of the shooters to ever play before this generation. SF and PF run the offense for half the game. 20 years ago, that's unheard of. 4/5 positions have never played at a higher level. Forget freaks like LeBron and Durant. They're just a new breed.

What's happened is teams have gotten smarter and have moved towards a 3 point centric offense. The game has evolved. If anything is wrong, it's that officials tend to call games too tightly (until playoffs start).

People often yearn for the basketball of yesteryear because nostalgia gets in the way of appreciation for what's currently going on. The game has gotten softer, but skills have never been higher.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Yes. 3 pointers absolutely need to be moved back. The best teams are now solely building teams to shoot 3s, kids that are future nba prospects look up to the best teams shooting 3s, and base their game around just 3 point shooting alone. Playing styles are really diminishing imo. Not gonna say the leagues not entertaining, but the integrity of the game is slowly vanishing.

Vinylman
04-25-2017, 06:50 AM
This is the most skilled, talented, and exciting generation of basketball ever being played. Sure, the play of big men has diminished, but the other 4 positions have gome way up.

The 80s and 90s couldn't dream of PGs like Westbrook and Wall. Shooters like JJ Redick are better than 95% of the shooters to ever play before this generation. SF and PF run the offense for half the game. 20 years ago, that's unheard of. 4/5 positions have never played at a higher level. Forget freaks like LeBron and Durant. They're just a new breed.

What's happened is teams have gotten smarter and have moved towards a 3 point centric offense. The game has evolved. If anything is wrong, it's that officials tend to call games too tightly (until playoffs start).

People often yearn for the basketball of yesteryear because nostalgia gets in the way of appreciation for what's currently going on. The game has gotten softer, but skills have never been higher.

yes... the palming... traveling... etc... has definitely changed the game...

Are the athletes better... absolutely... but that has less to do with this brand of basketball than the way the game is officiated...

NBA basketball is entertainment first... thank David Stern for that.

da ThRONe
04-25-2017, 07:24 AM
3pt will always count more than 2pt so I think coaches/gm's are always going to covet shooters. Not to mention guys are just better at the skill of shooting. So now not only are guys freak athletes they are incredibly skilled as well. To me that's a non issue.

However I do take exception to how the game is officiate. It's favors the offense and more specifically perimeter players. They bail shooters out far too often. A foul should always be called on the player that creates the unnecessary contact. A offensive player should not be able to jump into a player regardless if that player is on the ground or not. Which leads me to charges. In a time where the league has put an emphasis on "unnatural movement" what is and isn't a charge needs to be totally revamped. Defense needs to have as much access to a space as offense. Likewise defenders shouldn't be able to essentially slide into place looking to take a charge. Defenders should be able to garner a charge trying to defend the player not just basically getting in the way with their arms folded or by their sides. If guys can get a charge call defending a shot or at the very least not have to worry about getting a foul called on them for contact they don't create it'll make the game much more entertaining and probably a lot safer.