PDA

View Full Version : Most nonsensical ESPN headlines

JasonJohnHorn
04-24-2017, 10:33 AM
When I'm unable to watch the game but need to keep up on the scores, I usually hit up ESPN's site, but I am always astounded at the amount of nonsense they publish for titles.

Last night they had a title alluding to the fact the Paul George wasn't getting enough help, which led to a sweep. Misleading? Yeah. They lost by 4 points, and it's not because George wasn't getting help: it's because George was 5-21 from the field. He got help. Lance was 9-15 (6 fewer shots than PG) and scored 22 points (7 point more). Turner posted 20 points on 8/10 shooting... so yeah.. George did get help. But it seems they want to push the trade/Lakers/PG narrative.

Now, they currently have two LBJ posts: one asking if he is 'slowing down', the other asking if he has enough left in the tank for a playoff run. Really? He nearly averages a triple-double in the first round, and is averaging his second highest PPG and RPG averages in the playoffs, and highest SPG, BPG and APG, shooting .450 from the arc, and .540 from the field. So... no... it doesn't look like he's 'slowing down'.

Moreover, given that they just swept the Pacers and will get about a week's worth of rest before their next series starts, I don't think there is going to be an issue with 'having enough in the tank. Jordan averaged as many minutes per game when he was 32 leading to the NBA championship, and averages more at 34 en route to a tite.

It seems like they are trying to create narratives where there aren't any, or are re-framing wins/losses to fit narratives that are already popular.

What are some of the odd ESPN headlines that left you scratching your head?

valade16
04-24-2017, 02:52 PM
I remember when ESPN got hacked and someone changed the headline for the game to "Giants sucking mad dick".

That was pretty good.

Htownballa1622
04-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Literally any Russell Westbrook headline.

Scoots
04-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Welcome to modern "news reporting"

aman_13
04-24-2017, 06:40 PM
I remember when ESPN got hacked and someone changed the headline for the game to "Giants sucking mad dick".

That was pretty good.

Lmao

rhino17
04-25-2017, 06:34 AM
Literally any Russell Westbrook headline.

My favorite was "Westbrook beats Harden as Rockets win" or something along those lines