PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr's Future

Quinnsanity
04-24-2017, 09:12 AM
How important do you guys think this Steve Kerr back situation is? Do you think a less-than-peak Kerr hurts Golden State's chance at building a dynasty? What if they lost him entirely? And who would be the likeliest Kerr replacement if he did step down? My gut says they'd go internal, and Mike Brown is their top assistant. Could a Mike Brown team really dominate the next half-decade to the degree we expected Golden State to? It's kind of a fascinating look at how important coaching really is in the NBA. In any case, there should be a general discussion thread about this Kerr situation.

warfelg
04-24-2017, 09:57 AM
I feel bad for Kerr. Sounds like the doctors really mangled his back badly.

As for the team:
Would be interesting to see if they are willing to do what Phil wanted the LAL to do a few years ago.

Kerr would be the HC still, but only run things at home games and from the office. Name Mike Brown the associate head coach, and he handles ppl the road games. It does seem as though Kerr was a big part of their development as a team, so would be nice to see them try to keep him around.

tredigs
04-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Their sets and schemes are so set in stone from Kerr, Ron Adams and company that I am not sure that a coaching change would attempt to alter those. I can't imagine there's a coach in the world with enough clout or bravado to try to come in and make a big splash in altering their system - they wouldn't allow it - and why would he try? This situation is pretty sad for me concerning Kerr though. I hope he does not have to go through the rest of his life with debilitating back pain.

JasonJohnHorn
04-24-2017, 01:47 PM
I'm curious to see how this will impact his coaching legacy. I mean... the 'best' regular season was primarily coached by somebody else, and his team choked in the finals, and nearly choked in the conference finals, and if they win this year, be may not even be coaching the team.

Sadly, it sounds like this back issue may end a potentially brilliant coaching career.

ewing
04-24-2017, 01:59 PM
he needs rest

valade16
04-24-2017, 02:49 PM
This is about as close autopilot any coach will ever have to be. I give Kerr all the credit in the world for laying the foundation but Walton did better when he was the coach and the team is so insanely talented right now, if Kerr had to retire it would probably not effect their chances of winning at all.

I love Steve Kerr and think he's a great person, especially loved him on Open Court. I hope he puts himself and his health first. Hopefully he can live a long and fulfilling life.

BKLYNpigeon
04-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Kerr is still at the practices and meetings for the game plan. Just does not have the energy to be out there on the Bench. I do believe he will be back for the Finals.

Many people say if he wins it all this season, he will retire.

COOLbeans
04-24-2017, 05:15 PM
perhaps they should strongly consider bringing back MJ (Mark Jackson)

Scoots
04-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Kerr is critical to the team going forward. He's the one who sets the tone, he develops the offense, he manages the personalities.

If he has to be replaced long term my guess at the moment is Collins to replace him rather than Brown.

I can't believe there isn't a solution to the back issue, but speaking as someone who has broken his back and sort of back pain is a MAJOR issue, and having to travel so much makes it far worse, and the "solutions" often have possible repercussions that are no better or even worse than the condition in the first place. This is brutal.

warfelg
04-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Kerr is critical to the team going forward. He's the one who sets the tone, he develops the offense, he manages the personalities.

If he has to be replaced long term my guess at the moment is Collins to replace him rather than Brown.

I can't believe there isn't a solution to the back issue, but speaking as someone who has broken his back and sort of back pain is a MAJOR issue, and having to travel so much makes it far worse, and the "solutions" often have possible repercussions that are no better or even worse than the condition in the first place. This is brutal.

Well I guess the major issue (from what I've heard) is they messed up so with extensive travel the spinal fluid leaks out of his spine causing all the problems.

TrueFan420
04-24-2017, 07:26 PM
perhaps they should strongly consider bringing back MJ (Mark Jackson)

You're drunk... go home

TrueFan420
04-24-2017, 07:32 PM
As for the team:
Would be interesting to see if they are willing to do what Phil wanted the LAL to do a few years ago.

I don't think Kerr wants that tho. When asked about the remainder of the playoffs he said he wasn't coming back until he's good. Doesn't want to come back then sit out then repeat. He said he didn't want to do that to the players or staff as it wasn't fair to them.

sep11ie
04-24-2017, 07:40 PM
They seemed to do just fine without him last year. That team won't skip a beat, unfortunately.

Quinnsanity
04-25-2017, 06:18 AM
For those of you saying the Warriors are essentially on autopilot and no coach would dare mess with that... I'm not sure I buy that just from a historical standpoint. It's obviously very rare, but there are a few cases of a new coach jumping on to a champion or a Finals team and mucking things up. When Jack McKinney had his bike accident in 1980, Paul Westhead took over and used his scheme to win the title. Then he completely butchered everything McKinney had built to the degree that Magic demanded he be fired. Pat Riley took the job and basically reverted to McKinney's system, and even he had to go before Magic did because his ego had grown too large. Flip Saunders took over for Larry Brown in Detroit after a title and a trip to the Finals, and he never got them back to the Finals. Avery Johnson totally changed the Mavericks after he took over for Don Nelson, you could argue for better or worse there. It's never automatic that a coach comes into a situation like that and maintains the status quo. These guys have enormous egos. If you're Mike Brown and you've failed in multiple stints with star players, wouldn't there be a desire to say "no, I wasn't the problem," and try to implement your own stuff? I'd be worried.

I think the greatest asset Steve Kerr has as a coach is his total lack of ego and preconception. He gives credit to low level employees like Nick U'Ren when they come up with great ideas. He was willing to tell a major free agent signing in Andre Iguodala that he was being moved to the bench, and didn't hesitate to keep Draymond in the starting lineup over David Lee when it was working. He's baked that attitude into the Golden State culture. That's just not the personality most other great coaches have. Popovich does for sure, but Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Larry Brown, most of the great coaches in NBA history are just complete ego maniacs. I'd be really worried about this. Obviously the Warriors are going to be favored barring injuries for the next several years. But I think a coaching change could really lower the margins. With Steve Kerr at the helm the Warriors felt like an unbeatable juggernaut. If someone else is in charge they just feel like the best team.

Scoots
04-25-2017, 08:37 AM
If Kerr retires his win% won't likely ever be topped.

Quinnsanity
04-25-2017, 08:46 AM
If Kerr retires his win% won't likely ever be topped.

I know it's sort of unfair, but I always thought the most ridiculous coaching record ever was Phil Jackson winning championships in 11 of his 20 seasons, more than half. If Kerr wins this year, he'll have won championships in two thirds of his seasons coaching. I know it's a much smaller sample, but it's kind of insane that someone could coach three years and win two titles.

Scoots
04-25-2017, 11:02 AM
I know it's sort of unfair, but I always thought the most ridiculous coaching record ever was Phil Jackson winning championships in 11 of his 20 seasons, more than half. If Kerr wins this year, he'll have won championships in two thirds of his seasons coaching. I know it's a much smaller sample, but it's kind of insane that someone could coach three years and win two titles.

He's 88th all time in wins, and nobody above him has coached less than 5 years. Thibs and Vogel are both not yet to 300 wins and Kerr could realistically get there and close to the top 50 all time in wins in 2 more years with these Warriors.

JasonJohnHorn
04-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Flip Saunders took over for Larry Brown in Detroit after a title and a trip to the Finals, and he never got them back to the Finals.

Well... the lost players there, and the players they had were getting old. Plus the officiating wasn't terribly helpful for Detroit, and he DID get Detroit to three straight conference finals on a team where Nazr Mohammed replaced a DPOY. So... I'd say Flip did pretty good with that roster.

Avery Johnson totally changed the Mavericks after he took over for Don Nelson, you could argue for better or worse there.

This is a different scenario that GSW. The management thought Nelson was struggling, so they wanted to shake things up, so they brought in Johnson, who went 16-2 the rest of the season.

It's never automatic that a coach comes into a situation like that and maintains the status quo.

I don't think that is the argument here, nor do I think that is typically the expectation. Teams don't fire coaches they think are doing great and then want the next guy to maintain the status quo. They fire guys because they want a change, and if the in-coming coaches doesn't make a change, then there is a problem.

In this case, there is already a winning formula in place, and a group of guys who have chemistry and a certain playing style that is winning an historic number of games, and the coach just has a health problem. The expectation is that whoever comes in will continue to run the current system with few/small changes, if any.

Most coaches are brought in to make changes. In this instance, they'd want more of the same.

Scoots
04-25-2017, 10:20 PM
A good bit of news ... Kerr is meeting with Stanford surgeons and apparently they think they can find and fix the issue with his spinal fluid. That does NOT mean he'll be back during the playoffs or not ... but if they can fix it he can be 100% going forward which is good for the future of the team.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-26-2017, 02:22 AM
Warriors are a 55-60 win team without Kerr.