PDA

View Full Version : Pacers coach is trash [RANT]

kobe4thewinbang
04-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Indiana Pacers coach is trash. They should've never fired Vogel. Why you putting lil' Lance Stephenson on Kevin Love? Is 27 points by Love not enough reason to scrap that idea? How do you even think that is a good idea to start with? Coach be telling Lance to calm down, but wouldn't you be frustrated if you're that small being told to guard Kevin Love? You see Larry Bird shaking his head in the crowd--hello?! You're the guy running the team! So you're really shaking your head at yourself.

Never mind the other defense, or lack thereof, giving Kyrie Irving like a whole foot of vision to spot up for 3s. And there is no point in having 3 doe-eyed Pacers "guarding" LeBron as he comes steamrolling to the basket, leaving like three other Cavaliers wide open, then looking confused about it and bickering as to what happened.

If I'm Paul George, I'm not a Pacer come next October.

:mad:

Vee-Rex
04-20-2017, 03:12 PM
I did not understand why Lance was sagging off Kyrie at the 3-point line. It was like he was guarding Eric Snow out there and Kyrie made him pay (along with breaking his ankles prior to swishing a jumper). Maybe he was afraid of getting blown by with tighter defense? Either way, Kyrie was cooking and neither Teague or Lance could guard him.

In response, McMillan switched up defensive assignments and for some strange reason Lance was on Love. Maybe they thought Love would be passive and couldn't do anything?

I get it - Love is the 3rd wheel on this Cleveland team but you can't just completely underestimate him. Bad strategy for sure and it hurt the Pacers pretty badly.

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2017, 07:55 AM
McMillan is a fine coach.... generally.

But yeah... Vogel should have never been fired.

Chronz
04-22-2017, 11:22 AM
McMillan is a fine coach.... generally.

But yeah... Vogel should have never been fired.
Nah. He's consistently been below average and his hiring made no sense regardless of who was coaching before because he's the antithesis of What Bird wanted to run

IndyRealist
04-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Actually he's a career .500 coach, and unsurprisingly the team is right at .500

Vee-Rex
04-22-2017, 12:07 PM

How do you feel about this Pacers team and their performance in the playoffs so far?

I know the Cavs defense hasn't been good... but it does feel like the Pacers are also playing very well and I feel like no one is gonna give them credit even if they won the series.

Cavs lose? Trash the Cavs. Cavs win a close game? Trash the Cavs. Cavs blow the opponent out? Trash the Cavs opponent.

How do you like the Pacers chances this year if they played against Boston, Toronto, or Washington in the first round?

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 12:29 PM
They put Lance on Love because they tried to force Love to make plays in the paint -- which would force the Cavs to play less perimeter and therefore stop LeBron from attacking the basket. It clearly didn't work but then again, this series has been disappointing for the Cavs. Realistically, they could be down 1-2. That shot from Miles was a very good and open shot. 50/50. Game 3 required LeBron to go bananas. I'm watching Kyrie play like Kobe and that's going to be a problem. Love can't handle Turner/Young's athleticism so he's extremely limited. Outside of that, I think Tristan and Deron have played very well. It's not really a coaching problem. Pacers aren't a very good team to begin with. It seems Monta and Teague have been terrible and other than Lance/George, this team is just inexperienced. If Cavs play this way against the Warriors, it will be a sweep. Kyrie needs to stop playing like he has zero teammates. They literally have Channing and shooters just standing there watching Kyrie try to play 1v5. That stuff only works when LeBron is on the court because there's another threat. It doesn't work when the opposing team sees just shooters and they know you're not going to pass it. It's sad that the Cavs have to play Deron+Kyrie+LeBron because Kyrie is too focused on ISO.

Vee-Rex
04-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Monta stinks but Teague has been have a good playoffs. He's shooting 57% from 3 on nearly 5 attempts a game. That's pretty otherwordly for him.

Lance Stephenson is having a great series.

Paul George is putting on the best performance of his career. He's destroying it better than he ever has. He's averaging 32ppg on 61TS%

And you know the best part about it? He's shooting only 15% of his shots in the paint. 15%. He averages only 3FGA in the paint per game. Approximately 10 out of his 67 FGA this series has been in the paint.

Idk, I think Indiana is killing it and I'd pick them over BOS or TOR in a series right now.

IndyRealist
04-22-2017, 04:44 PM
How do you feel about this Pacers team and their performance in the playoffs so far?

I know the Cavs defense hasn't been good... but it does feel like the Pacers are also playing very well and I feel like no one is gonna give them credit even if they won the series.

Cavs lose? Trash the Cavs. Cavs win a close game? Trash the Cavs. Cavs blow the opponent out? Trash the Cavs opponent.

How do you like the Pacers chances this year if they played against Boston, Toronto, or Washington in the first round?

This is literally the best the team's played all year, and Lance is a big catalyst for that. Fact is that 3 of our 4 best defenders left last summer (George Hill, Solomon Hill, Ian Mahimni) and were replaced with offensive oriented players (Jeff Teague, Aaron Brooks, Al Jefferson). What Lance brings is a secondary ballhandler that isn't a liability on defense. That a) gives us someone to put on attacking PGs, b) takes the playmaking duties out of Paul George's hands, and c) allows PG to conserve energy on defense by letting Lance take the tougher assignment. PG is much better and less turnover prone if he's moving without the ball.

However, our bench aside from Lance is still trash. Aaron Brooks, Monta Ellis, CJ Miles, Al Jefferson, Kevin Seraphin, who plays defense out of that bunch? Who is enough of an offensive juggernaut to make up for the lack of defense? Glenn Robinson may be the only keeper, and with Lance back it'll be hard for Glenn to get minutes.

Still, with a shortened rotation this Pacers team has been pretty dangerous, and the Cavs have managed to win 3 straight. I think they're getting criticized because they're supposed to be heavy favorites, they don't look as good as last year, and all the wins have been close. But as I said elsewhere, Paul George coasts in the regular season. If Lance was here all year and PG gave 100% during the season, this would not be a 7th seed team. So the Cavs really drew a much tougher opponent than what they should have had (although I feel like the Bucks and Bulls are also better than their records, so there's that).

I'd like this Pacers team against Boston or Toronto much better than I do against the Cavs. The Cavs are too deep and we're not. The Pacers are good against low scoring defensive teams, and moderate offensive teams with little defense. The Cavs aren't playing great defense, but their offense is substantially better than the Pacers. Essentially, the Cavs do everything the Pacers want to do but better. Cavs and Wizards would have been the worst match ups the Pacers could have drawn.

Chronz
04-23-2017, 08:44 AM

Yeah. He was awful on some good teams too

Hopper15
04-23-2017, 01:44 PM
I don't know what McMillan sees in Monta Ellis. He can't defend anyone and offensively he's horrible. Just a total negative on the floor that should be rotting on the bench.

smith&wesson
04-23-2017, 10:51 PM
I think PG will be a Celtics next season.. makes to much sense