PDA

View Full Version : Nine worst NBA free agent signings from last summer

More-Than-Most
04-17-2017, 09:06 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/nine-worst-nba-free-agent-signings-from-last-summer-463124.html

Full article

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=463124

Some of these i forgot how bad they were holy ****

More-Than-Most
04-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Timofey Mozgov, four years, $64 million, Los Angeles Lakers

Luol Deng, four years, $72 million, Los Angeles Lakers

Joakim Noah, four years, $72 million, New York Knicks

Jeff Green, one year, $15 million, Orlando Magic

Nicolas Batum, five years, $120 million, Charlotte Hornets

Chandler Parsons, four years, $94 million, Memphis Grizzlies

Evan Turner, four years, $70 million, Portland Trail Blazers

Bismack Biyombo, four years, $72 million, Orlando Magic

Allen Crabbe, four years, $75 million, Portland Trail Blazers

mrblisterdundee
04-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Worst contracts:
1. Chandler Parsons, four years, $94 million, Memphis Grizzlies
2. Joakim Noah, four years, $72 million, New York Knicks
3. Luol Deng, four years, $72 million, Los Angeles Lakers
4. Evan Turner, four years, $70 million, Portland Trail Blazers
5. Timofey Mozgov, four years, $64 million, Los Angeles Lakers
6. Nicolas Batum, five years, $120 million, Charlotte Hornets
7. Allen Crabbe, four years, $75 million, Portland Trail Blazers
8. Bismack Biyombo, four years, $72 million, Orlando Magic
9. Jeff Green, one year, $15 million, Orlando Magic
10. Rajon Rondo, two years, $28 million, Chicago Bulls

lakerfan85
04-17-2017, 10:55 PM
I don't really see how Green is on there for just a 1 year deal..

mightybosstone
04-17-2017, 11:05 PM
I just got done ripping the Parsons contract in the Spurs/Grizzlies playoff thread, but suffice it to say I think that was the worst contract given out last season. But when you look at what the Blazers did, if you could combine the Turner and Crabbe deals, I'd almost rank that as 1b.

It's really unfortunate that we have teams with really good cores of players who make such atrocious decisions in free agency, completely crippling their chances to content long-term. You replace Parsons and that Turner/Crabbe duo with one better player or a series of better role players, and both of those teams would be substantially better.

As bad as the Lakers contracts are, it's hard for me to hate a team that has no chance of contending filling out its roster and using its cap space by overpaying a couple of decent veterans. LA is years away from competing, and I doubt those two contracts will hurt their chances to do so in a few years. Meanwhile, we could look back on this last offseason as the point where Memphis and Portland doomed their franchises to mediocrity.

valade16
04-18-2017, 12:21 AM
I'm fine with Crabbe, I think that was actually a fairly decent deal considering we'd have lost him to Brooklyn for nothing as a RFA. He was 2nd in 3pt% this season and is a good player, he should be a starter somewhere.

The Turner signing is the real head scratcher, but considering the alternative was Batum which is arguable a worse deal meh. At least we get out of Turner's contract before Charlotte gets out of Batum's.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2017, 12:45 AM
The Green deal is not too bad... one year? See what he's got then tell him to bugger off.

Noah was bad given his level of play going into the contract, and Deng was not a smart move given his age.

Mozgov is not so bad.... 15 mil is a bit much, but with the cap where it is, that is practically the new MLE.

Given how well Parsons was playing, that didn't look to be too bad a contract, but now.... not so much. He might turn it around though.

Crabbe.... he shoots over .400 beyond the arc. That is worth a lot in the league now. They over paid, but not by that much. 16 mill is a bit high.... but that cap is high now too.

Batum? That was crazy. But he is a specialized talent and stat stuffer and does a bit of everything.

Evan Turner is easily the worst contract there though. WTF? I mean... after Indy, he wasn't even assured a roster spot in the league, and played ok for something like the vet min in Boston while they were rebuilding, but.... WTF? That makes no sense. I wouldn't have even given that dude an MLE.

That is a head scratcher. No 3-pt shot. Not stellar D. Decent all-around game but nothing to write home about. I just don't get, and I wasn't even aware he signed that contract until I read this.

Portland needs to give their head a shake. He must have something on the GM/owner.

da ThRONe
04-18-2017, 05:49 AM
I'm fine with Crabbe, I think that was actually a fairly decent deal considering we'd have lost him to Brooklyn for nothing as a RFA. He was 2nd in 3pt% this season and is a good player, he should be a starter somewhere.

The Turner signing is the real head scratcher, but considering the alternative was Batum which is arguable a worse deal meh. At least we get out of Turner's contract before Charlotte gets out of Batum's.

I agree 100%. Crabbe isn't a bad deal Portland just isn't giving him the mins. and role. On plenty other teams he's a starting 2 and Crabbe's deal is perfectly ok.

Turner deal made no sense and was total overkill of wing players especially when your going to have the ball in the hands of Lillard and McCollum and Evan is a poor shooter.

da ThRONe
04-18-2017, 05:53 AM
The worse deal by a significant margin is Noah's. He had been on a major decline for a few season before and the Knicks doesn't have the tradable assets that the Lakers have to improve.

Scoots
04-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Parsons deal is fine if he's healthy ... the problem is most people didn't think he'd be healthy.

The Turner deal confuses me because ... where was he going to get minutes on that team? They have 5 shooting guards, 3 big contracts and 2 draft picks. Maybe at SF? Nope, 2 more sizeable contracts and more talent there.

Hawkeye15
04-18-2017, 09:37 AM
I still can't wrap my head around the money that was given out last year.

The ones that stick out to me, are Noah (really, for a guy we know won't last 2 years, let alone 4?), Turner (guy isn't even a starting caliber player, making $18 million), and Mosgov (the dude sucks).

I can understand Portland/Charlotte overspending, they overachieved last year, and probably felt they were close to being a competitor, and had to spend to keep up. The Parsons deal I view as a team in transition that still wanted to compete, and felt his injuries would improve. In hindsight, it's easy to crap on things.

LA4life24/8
04-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Yeah those 2 lakers deals were dog chit lol cant deny it. They were a last dtich effort by jim to reach mediocrity to try and prevent from happening to him what has happened. Good news is that idiot is gone so hopefully no new deals like this get handed out, bad news we still have those 2 for 3 more years

warfelg
04-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Jeff Green doesn't belong on this list. It was a one year flier for a team trying to use up all their cap. No way a 1-year deal should ever belong on a "worst contract" list.

Kyben36
04-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Timofey Mozgov, four years, $64 million, Los Angeles Lakers

Luol Deng, four years, $72 million, Los Angeles Lakers

Joakim Noah, four years, $72 million, New York Knicks

Jeff Green, one year, $15 million, Orlando Magic

Nicolas Batum, five years, $120 million, Charlotte Hornets

Chandler Parsons, four years, $94 million, Memphis Grizzlies

Evan Turner, four years, $70 million, Portland Trail Blazers

Bismack Biyombo, four years, $72 million, Orlando Magic

Allen Crabbe, four years, $75 million, Portland Trail Blazers

unsure how you can call a 1 year contract like green bad???

Hawkeye15
04-18-2017, 10:32 AM
very true both of you above me. 1 year deals should not be considered bad deals in most cases.

archdevil84
04-18-2017, 10:34 AM
lol the magic gave biyombo a 4 years 72 mil? holy crap they got caught badly in that raptors heat series. miami played freaking justice winslow at center lol

mightybosstone
04-18-2017, 10:34 AM

The Crabbe deal I was actually fine with. It was a bit of an overpay, but it was an overpay for an elite 3-point shooter who just fits what Portland needs from its wings and what they want to do offensively. I'd put it in the same conversation as Ryan Anderson's contract with Houston. That was an overpay as well, but he fits the offense extremely well and the floor spacing he provides when he's on the court is worth the extra money.

But the Turner signing made zero sense, as his strengths have always been playmaking with the ball in his hands. When was he ever going to get the ball on a team with Lillard and CJ? And the fact that Portland overpaid for two wings in the same offseason when they were really hurting in the frontcourt sort of exacerbated things for me. They don't have the money to improve in the areas where they really need to improve, and all of their money seems to be invested in guys at the 1-3 spots.

Parsons deal is fine if he's healthy ... the problem is most people didn't think he'd be healthy.

The Turner deal confuses me because ... where was he going to get minutes on that team? They have 5 shooting guards, 3 big contracts and 2 draft picks. Maybe at SF? Nope, 2 more sizeable contracts and more talent there.

I still can't wrap my head around the money that was given out last year.

The ones that stick out to me, are Noah (really, for a guy we know won't last 2 years, let alone 4?), Turner (guy isn't even a starting caliber player, making $18 million), and Mosgov (the dude sucks).

I can understand Portland/Charlotte overspending, they overachieved last year, and probably felt they were close to being a competitor, and had to spend to keep up. The Parsons deal I view as a team in transition that still wanted to compete, and felt his injuries would improve. In hindsight, it's easy to crap on things.

I think you guys are seriously underrating how awful that Parsons deal was. We're talking about a guy who had every chance in the world to step up in Dallas when he was given that huge contract and just completely underwhelmed. This is a guy who never averaged more than 17 points per game in a season and doesn't have any skills where he's particularly exceptional who was coming off essentially a 14/5/3 season where he didn't even play 30 minutes a night last year for a team that wasn't exactly overflowing with offensive talent. He had bad knees, and he couldn't crack 70 games a season or be healthy for the playoffs in either of the two seasons he was in Dallas.

The second I saw the numbers of that deal, I knew that contract was a massive mistake. Maybe it's just because of Parsons' history with the Rockets that I've paid such close attention to the guy, but Dallas quickly learned that they overpaid for him and were probably happy to get out of the last year of that deal. For Memphis to swoop in and pay him MORE money than Dallas did made absolutely zero sense to me.

Hawkeye15
04-18-2017, 11:03 AM
The Crabbe deal I was actually fine with. It was a bit of an overpay, but it was an overpay for an elite 3-point shooter who just fits what Portland needs from its wings and what they want to do offensively. I'd put it in the same conversation as Ryan Anderson's contract with Houston. That was an overpay as well, but he fits the offense extremely well and the floor spacing he provides when he's on the court is worth the extra money.

But the Turner signing made zero sense, as his strengths have always been playmaking with the ball in his hands. When was he ever going to get the ball on a team with Lillard and CJ? And the fact that Portland overpaid for two wings in the same offseason when they were really hurting in the frontcourt sort of exacerbated things for me. They don't have the money to improve in the areas where they really need to improve, and all of their money seems to be invested in guys at the 1-3 spots.

I think you guys are seriously underrating how awful that Parsons deal was. We're talking about a guy who had every chance in the world to step up in Dallas when he was given that huge contract and just completely underwhelmed. This is a guy who never averaged more than 17 points per game in a season and doesn't have any skills where he's particularly exceptional who was coming off essentially a 14/5/3 season where he didn't even play 30 minutes a night last year for a team that wasn't exactly overflowing with offensive talent. He had bad knees, and he couldn't crack 70 games a season or be healthy for the playoffs in either of the two seasons he was in Dallas.

The second I saw the numbers of that deal, I knew that contract was a massive mistake. Maybe it's just because of Parsons' history with the Rockets that I've paid such close attention to the guy, but Dallas quickly learned that they overpaid for him and were probably happy to get out of the last year of that deal. For Memphis to swoop in and pay him MORE money than Dallas did made absolutely zero sense to me.

Parsons gets away with being a bad contract in a year of worse, so his deal will get overlooked. Also factor in Memphis was in transition, and you knew they would make a reach or two. Parsons was it. Compound that with the fact that his body won't heal, and yes, he and Noah now look like albatross contracts going forward.

MJNetsIsles
04-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Joakim Noah, easily the worst.

Sean Marks found Justin Hamilton for the Nets and paid him so much less money for similar, if not better production than Noah offered.

valade16
04-18-2017, 11:31 AM

Well they also signed Festus Ezeli last off-season for front-court help but he's injured. I haven't heard anything about him all year actually, not even like updates or progress reports from Blazers sites. It's as if he just died lol.

We also re-signed Meyers Leonard to a $40 million dollar deal, which to me is as bad as the Turner deal considering Leonard is a bum on the court.

Luckily the Blazers traded for Nurkic to give them another young piece to build around with Lillard and CJ.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Matthew Dellavedova $9,607,500 $9,607,500 $9,607,500 $9,607,500
Mirza Teletovic $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
John Henson $12,267,606 $11,422,536 $10,577,466 $9,732,396
Miles Plumlee $12,400,000 $12,400,000 $12,400,000 $12,400,000

I thought the Bucks were in bad shape. Luckily Charlotte ate Plumlee's albatross contract for expiring Hibbert which was later traded and one year player option of Hawes which may opt out. Then the whiteboard rumor of Magic wanting Telly. But now that Hennigan is fired the whiteboard maybe wiped clean. Still crossing my fingers some team trades for Henson or Telly.

Slim Tubby
04-18-2017, 01:11 PM
The worst has to be Joakim Noah and I have no idea what Dolan is doing keeping Phil Jackson around. He is destroying that franchise for years to come. KP is a beast if he can stay healthy (big IF) but there is literally nothing else to build around. Portland has horrible contracts in Turner and Leonard but at least they have Lilliard and McCollum to mask those problems. As a Wolves fan, I love what the Bucks are doing and if they can shed a couple of bad contracts, watch out. The Greek Freak and Kris Middleton are two of my favorite players in the NBA and here's hoping that Parker can come back healthy.

colinskik
04-18-2017, 01:40 PM
The Evan Turner, Noah, and Parsons deals stand out as the worst.

I've never understood what people see in Turner especially on a team that needs more ball handlers like they need a hole in their head. Just a really, really stupid move.

Noah is all but done, which makes the length of the contract the real screw up. Most Knicks fans were cool with signing him, even if it was an overpay. It was the length of the contract that practically every Knick fan derided.

And Parsons is pure trash IMO. Imagine if MEM had used that money wisely? Or better yet, on any other player at all. Is Parsons every going to play in the league again? I honestly don't follow him because I hate his face, but it seems like he's constantly injuring the same knee over and over.

IndyRealist
04-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Al Jefferson bumps Jeff Green off this list if no one else does. 3yr, $30m, and getting beat out for minutes by a vet min. guy.

valade16
04-18-2017, 03:42 PM
The Evan Turner, Noah, and Parsons deals stand out as the worst.

I've never understood what people see in Turner especially on a team that needs more ball handlers like they need a hole in their head. Just a really, really stupid move.

Noah is all but done, which makes the length of the contract the real screw up. Most Knicks fans were cool with signing him, even if it was an overpay. It was the length of the contract that practically every Knick fan derided.

And Parsons is pure trash IMO. Imagine if MEM had used that money wisely? Or better yet, on any other player at all. Is Parsons every going to play in the league again? I honestly don't follow him because I hate his face, but it seems like he's constantly injuring the same knee over and over.

Actually once Plumlee was traded we really don't have any ball handlers or passers outside Lillard/CJ. Turner was the primary ball-handler for the second unit when both Lillard and CJ were out.

mrblisterdundee
04-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Actually once Plumlee was traded we really don't have any ball handlers or passers outside Lillard/CJ. Turner was the primary ball-handler for the second unit when both Lillard and CJ were out.

Portland's obviously stuck with Turner, a gross overpay. He can definitely be an effective bench weapon. He and Crabbe would perform significantly better if Portland traded either McCollum or Lillard and opened more minutes in the back court. Trade a back court star for a front court star; start Crabbe; give Turner more minutes backing up point guard through small forward; play better defense; and win more games.

basch152
04-19-2017, 01:22 AM
Jeff Green doesn't belong on this list. It was a one year flier for a team trying to use up all their cap. No way a 1-year deal should ever belong on a "worst contract" list.

I agree, 1 year contracts can never be as bad as a multi year contract.

More-Than-Most
04-19-2017, 02:00 AM
lol i didnt add green the article did.

Vinylman
04-19-2017, 10:08 AM
lots of bad deals but that is to be expected with the cap explosion...

probably will slow some teams down this offseason...

Anyway, Portland has to slash payroll for next year and with 3 picks in the first round they can probably dump a turner pretty easily. He is really the only one that is going to be hard to move...

Vinylman
04-19-2017, 10:33 AM

no kidding ... I wished the Lakers had signed that deal with him rather than with Deng

valade16
04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
lots of bad deals but that is to be expected with the cap explosion...

probably will slow some teams down this offseason...

Anyway, Portland has to slash payroll for next year and with 3 picks in the first round they can probably dump a turner pretty easily. He is really the only one that is going to be hard to move...

Hopefully we trade Meyers Leonard and his $40 million dollar contract. I want him to go before Turner to be honest. But if we can somehow trade both I'd be shocked, though I don't think we'd be under the cap without their contracts because we also had to pay Crabbe and Harkless.

Vinylman
04-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Hopefully we trade Meyers Leonard and his $40 million dollar contract. I want him to go before Turner to be honest. But if we can somehow trade both I'd be shocked, though I don't think we'd be under the cap without their contracts because we also had to pay Crabbe and Harkless.

yeah... that was the other one I was thinking about... with only 3 years left on it though it isn't as hard to move if you take some one back for around $6 million over the same period...

I really think there is going to be a lot of wheeling and dealing this years as teams with cap will take some deals on as long as picks are attached...

LA4life24/8
04-19-2017, 12:09 PM
yeah... that was the other one I was thinking about... with only 3 years left on it though it isn't as hard to move if you take some one back for around $6 million over the same period...

I really think there is going to be a lot of wheeling and dealing this years as teams with cap will take some deals on as long as picks are attached...
Ehm ehm... moz and deng gettin attached to our picks bahaha

please please please 🙏🙏🙏

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Al Jefferson bumps Jeff Green off this list if no one else does. 3yr, $30m, and getting beat out for minutes by a vet min. guy.

I don't think Green's deal was bad (one year? cap filler), but neither was Jefferson's. 10 mil a year? In this 100-mil cap, that would only be slightly above average, and he is an above average player, and it's only a 3-year deal.

He's posting 20/10 per36 on .500 shooting. That's worth 10 mil a year in this league I'd say. Can't blame him for the coach giving minutes to Allen, who rebounds less and shoots at a lower %.

I'd say that contract is a steal to be honest.

I think what's happening is people hear '10 mil' and they think, ten years ago that was 1/5 of the cap The thing is, now it's just 1/10.

KnickNyKnick
04-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Noahs contract is not that bad.

Yes hes on the decline but hes there for the rebuild and be the guy that helps develop a better culture.
By the time they are ready to contend he will be expiring and had done his job. Knicks arent signing some top Max player in the next 2-3 years anyway so the cap space hes taking is not needed right now/yet.

But yeh...still overpiad no matter what direction the Knicks were trying to go LoL. Could have paid him less to do the same.

Maybe the Knicks sign Gibson and add their Draft pick. Re-sign Rose. and we'd have Chicagos still serviceable has beens plus Up and coming Youth with star potential. Those guys would have the perfect role models in Noah and Gibson.

I'd still keep Rose short term if his injury is not so bad. His offense would thrive off the bench.