PDA

View Full Version : Should CP3 leave the Clips?

shep33
04-16-2017, 01:10 PM
If they lose in round 1 or 2, should CP3 leave? Spurs would be an interesting option, back to NOLA, or heading out east could perhaps be a move he can make.

What do you guys think?

Raps18-19 Champ
04-16-2017, 01:29 PM
If they lose in round 2, they would be losing to the Warriors. I guess he could leave but I highly doubt he'd find a team that would allow him to beat the Warriors.

Stunner
04-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Yea to the Bulls

dhopisthename
04-16-2017, 01:42 PM
I don't see a realistic scenario team for him to leave the clippers for. Plus I am sure he wants his super max that the clippers can give him. The only one would be the spurs, if say pau declines his option and they trade some guys, but would the spurs really do that for a 32 year old cp3?

Dade County
04-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Clippers will win this series against Utah...

But yes, I think Cp3 should go back to N.O, since the league is trying to build that franchise up. Maybe N.O can offer their first rd pick for Melo.

Cp3
3&D?
Melo
AD
DMC

This team can challenge for 2nd place in the West.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-16-2017, 01:57 PM
He should go to the Knicks in a S&T.

Kyben36
04-16-2017, 02:08 PM
i think it would be frustrating to loose early again, and you would have to convince them that they are still a contender, which i have allways considered them a pretender myself, great in the regular season, but once teams start playing defense in the playoffs, their run and gun allyoop antics dont work well.

i think the bigest issue is what they loose, to resign griffin and paul to max, would put extreme strain on their cap, yes they can, but its a **** ton of money for a team who has proven not to be able to finish in the playoffs.

add the fact that reddick is likely a cap casualty because can they really afford all of them. sure, hypothetically but i think someboedy else overpays JJ.

so, if they are loosing JJ, a start, they are getting worse, do you think that the two of them would want to stay after consistantly loosing in the playoffs.

i mean, they might, but i think that team is done after the season. Griffin i think walks, and i think paul wont stay if their 2nd best player leaves.

Chronz
04-16-2017, 02:11 PM
If this were any other market, I would say yes. Hes made his brand off his Hollywood appeal and I have no doubt he played a role in the new CBA ridiculous pay raise for players in his position. The only team I could see him joining are the Spurs, Pels or the Hawks and all for different reasons. I think its likely he closes his career here as a way overpaid 37 year old, just like Kobe did. I wouldn't want it any other way. Doc on the other hand, needs to go entirely. Bring back Vinny

europagnpilgrim
04-16-2017, 03:08 PM
If I were him I would either stay put and get that super max or head back to where he was drafted, NOLA

tp13baby
04-16-2017, 03:16 PM
NOLA makes sense.

NYKnickFanatic
04-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Yes, go to the Spurs. Paul, Kawhi, Aldridge.

GREATNESS ONE
04-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Do you want to win the Championship or make money, move or re-sign with the Clips....

IndyRealist
04-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Spurs with Chris Paul would be stupidly unfair.

Chronz
04-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Spurs with Chris Paul would be stupidly unfair.

Would be more fair vs GS tho

HandsOnTheWheel
04-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Yes.

COOLbeans
04-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Chris Paul on the Spurs would be fun

Firefistus
04-17-2017, 01:00 AM
I think they should sign Paul and let Blake go. I also think they should get rid of Doc Rivers, get a separate coach and GM that can work together. That way the GM can do the GM things while the coach focuses just on coaching the team.

Rivers doesn't seem to be a good GM to me, signing Speights was an awful idea when it happened, and at this point I think everyone can agree to that.

I would try to trade Blake for Millsap, I think Millsap would play REAL well on the clippers, and I'm sure Atlanta would love to have Blake in exchange.

I would also try to get a better bench, as the bench they currently have isn't very good.

It wouldn't take a lot to put the team over the edge right now, they just need more clutch players, right now the only clutch player they have is Chris Paul, so getting rid of him isn't going to work very well in terms of win shares.

Mr.B
04-17-2017, 03:10 AM
If the Clippers are willing to max him out then he isn't going anywhere. The only way he leaves is if they aren't. He will try to use some other team as leverage but in the end he will re-sign with the Clippers..

Aust
04-17-2017, 05:54 AM
ohmygod, Paul on the Spurs would be crazy

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Unless they win it all, he should leave regardless of the outcome of this series.

Best options for him:
Minny (I think he'd win MVP there).
Cleveland (assuming they fall short, I'd say a sign-and-trade for Kyrie would help the Clips long-term and the Cavs during LBJ's window)
NOLA: Hadn't thought of this, but OP has a great point here. Not sure how CP3 and DMC would mesh, but AD and CP3 would be great, and DMC can always be traded.
SAS: Hadn't considered this because of cap restrictions, but the OP is right: this would be a great fit. Amazing. I have no clue how this would happen, but if it did, CP3 would be at home.
BOS: Isiaih Thomas for CP3? Wouldn't be much of a trade for the Clippers, but it'd give them something, and CP3 would fit in great there.

He could also help the BUcks, but I don't think they have enough pieces to content, where as Minny has a championship team if they add CP3.

Detroit would also improve immensely, but again, they don't have the pieces to content.

In my dream world he'd go to SAS and Duncan would come out of retirement. But I'm realistically, I think Minny is the best landing spot for him. That team would see a 20-win turnaround at least.

warfelg
04-17-2017, 09:46 AM
I'm not 100% on their cap situation but I think and interesting team that should be in on him is the Pacers.

Getting CP3 would be a great way to convince PG13 to stay with them and really help the development of Myles Turner.

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Ownership sucks. Gave Doc so much power and nothing is happening. Bench has stayed the same. Why did they go out and get Paul Pierce? Oh.. because Doc Rivers loves the guy.. Instead of getting someone who can actually contribute, they get someone who is just happy to still be playing. And Blake Griffin/DeAndre. utterly useless. Can't blame CP3 for not making it to the Finals or WCF.. look at what he deals with!

IndyRealist
04-17-2017, 10:52 AM
I'm not 100% on their cap situation but I think and interesting team that should be in on him is the Pacers.

Getting CP3 would be a great way to convince PG13 to stay with them and really help the development of Myles Turner.

If they let Jeff Teague go, they can afford Chris Paul. I suspect if he's after the money he stays in LA. If he's after a ring he has better options.

rhino17
04-17-2017, 11:02 AM
They need to change something. This formula has not been working for years now

Doc has got to go for one. He is terrible as a GM and as a coach.

But I think they should also consider letting Paul go. A team built around him just isn't good enough to compete for a championship. He dominates the ball to much and it seems like both he and blake play better without each other (which makes no sense to me)

warfelg
04-17-2017, 11:39 AM
If they let Jeff Teague go, they can afford Chris Paul. I suspect if he's after the money he stays in LA. If he's after a ring he has better options.

I'm not saying from CP's standpoint to seek out the Pacers, but rather from the Pacers standpoint to seek out CP3.

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 11:53 AM
They need to change something. This formula has not been working for years now

Doc has got to go for one. He is terrible as a GM and as a coach.

But I think they should also consider letting Paul go. A team built around him just isn't good enough to compete for a championship. He dominates the ball to much and it seems like both he and blake play better without each other (which makes no sense to me)

There is no "letting" anyone go. They would love to resign CP3. The question is, would CP3 resign with them. Both Cp3 and BG are in player options after this season. If it ends up terribly, I don't see either resigning. IMO, CP3 may be looking to get into New Orleans. That would be amazing.

LA4life24/8
04-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Yes, leave for NOLA. Would be crazy fun show to wstch

Saddletramp
04-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Why is everyone saying New Orleans would be where he should go? He already left once in a huff because it's not a big enough market but let's say he want to play with AD. How does he get there?

They have about $90 million already for next year on salaries so they'd have to dump some guys. But who? No one is touching Asik's deal ($10.5M) without getting something great back, but the Pels don't have anything great. Solomon Hill makes $12+ million. E'Tawn Moore makes $8+M. I don't think any of these guys get traded without giving something up in return.

I don't think Cousins will be there long term, so maybe a sign and trade of CP3 for Cousins? CP3 isn't accepting his option to just get dealt and "see where it goes" next year, and the Pels aren't trading away Cousins for a possible one year rental of Paul. Plus, the Clippers would have to get a third team involved becausecwhat do the Clippers want with Cousins? Would they trade DeAndre Jordan? What could they possibly get for him? And I'm not sure how the new CBA treats sign and trades but I know that you can't do a three team deal, so the Clippers will be stuck with Cousins to trade later. (Also, they'd lose Holliday for nothing.)

I just keep seeing NO as a great fit on the floor, but I doubt he'd want to return and I doubt they could pull the strings to make it happen. He's staying out for the money. When this deal is over, he can ring chase. Respectable players don't ring chase in their prime.

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Why is everyone saying New Orleans would be where he should go? He already left once in a huff because it's not a big enough market but let's say he want to play with AD. How does he get there?

They have about $90 million already for next year on salaries so they'd have to dump some guys. But who? No one is touching Asik's deal ($10.5M) without getting something great back, but the Pels don't have anything great. Solomon Hill makes $12+ million. E'Tawn Moore makes $8+M. I don't think any of these guys get traded without giving something up in return.

I don't think Cousins will be there long term, so maybe a sign and trade of CP3 for Cousins? CP3 isn't accepting his option to just get dealt and "see where it goes" next year, and the Pels aren't trading away Cousins for a possible one year rental of Paul. Plus, the Clippers would have to get a third team involved becausecwhat do the Clippers want with Cousins? Would they trade DeAndre Jordan? What could they possibly get for him? And I'm not sure how the new CBA treats sign and trades but I know that you can't do a three team deal, so the Clippers will be stuck with Cousins to trade later. (Also, they'd lose Holliday for nothing.)

I just keep seeing NO as a great fit on the floor, but I doubt he'd want to return and I doubt they could pull the strings to make it happen. He's staying out for the money. When this deal is over, he can ring chase. Respectable players don't ring chase in their prime.

We've seen crazier deals happen. A cp3+davis is enough to make them contenders. Add a few shooters and that team doesn't even need Cousins. And IDK about the market situation. There aren't many teams with a market that can afford Cp3 that makes sense..

Miami has Dragic
NYK, after what they did to Melo, no way.
Brooklyn has a lot of work to do before anyone who wants to win considers it.
LAL is rebuilding and would take time. CP3 doesn't have that.
Bulls would make a lot of sense but it depends on if Wade opts out since he's a player option and they're way above the salary.
Rockets don't need CP3.
Sixers have Ben Simmons. Hard to see why they would give that up just yet.

That leaves the Clippers.. I mean, I don't know why anyone would still want to stay there but this team just chokes and chokes like a gangbang video. There's no excuse why Blake and DJ don't dominate without Gobert in the lineup. Deandre is so overrated it's sad. This guy is so damn athletic it doesn't even make sense how he's not improving at all.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Unless they win it all, he should leave regardless of the outcome of this series.

Best options for him:
Minny (I think he'd win MVP there).
Cleveland (assuming they fall short, I'd say a sign-and-trade for Kyrie would help the Clips long-term and the Cavs during LBJ's window)
NOLA: Hadn't thought of this, but OP has a great point here. Not sure how CP3 and DMC would mesh, but AD and CP3 would be great, and DMC can always be traded.
SAS: Hadn't considered this because of cap restrictions, but the OP is right: this would be a great fit. Amazing. I have no clue how this would happen, but if it did, CP3 would be at home.
BOS: Isiaih Thomas for CP3? Wouldn't be much of a trade for the Clippers, but it'd give them something, and CP3 would fit in great there.

He could also help the BUcks, but I don't think they have enough pieces to content, where as Minny has a championship team if they add CP3.

Detroit would also improve immensely, but again, they don't have the pieces to content.

In my dream world he'd go to SAS and Duncan would come out of retirement. But I'm realistically, I think Minny is the best landing spot for him. That team would see a 20-win turnaround at least.

CP3 be nice for the Bucks but he's getting up there in age and needs the ball all the time. So kinda pointless with Giannis. Also CP3 being injury prone and is 31. I wouldn't want him on a new super max contract. Nah. Clippers can keep him and stay on the dull treadmill. I'll rather have Brogdon on the cheap as a second round pick cheap contract. Jazz beat Clippers with Gobert injured. Clippers are a depressing team. Even if they add Melo for peanuts they still wont get anywhere.

Cracka2HI!
04-17-2017, 10:00 PM
LOL!! So much fail in this thread. Some of you should really look up team salaries before posting. How exactly is New Orleans supposed to sign any player to a max deal? CP3 would have to leave $100 + million on the table to go to half the teams mentioned in this thread. There were a couple ideas here that really stuck out to me. Someone called the Clippers a run and gun team. They must only watch highlights. When were the Clippers that team again? It sure as hell ain't this year. Clippers are half court team and get run out of the gym by run and gun teams. There were a handful of games this season where the Clippers had 20 point leads, a team went small and they lost. Speights has possibly been Doc's best signing. How is someone on a minimum deal even worth calling out? LOL!

For the thread, CP3 shouldn't leave if the Clippers offer the stupid super-max. It's too much money for a 32 year old to walk away from and he practically changed a rule himself so he can get it. I do think The Clippers will look differently next season though. Does anyone know if they can even do a S&T? They are a tax team so I'm not sure they can even participate in a S&T. If they can I would much rather see them trade CP3 than Blake but neither is going to live up to that deal imo and I think Blake will bring back much more in a trade. I think Blake may walk to Boston either way. Won't surprise me to see The Clippers end up with CP3 and Melo next year. Best case for The Clippers in that scenario would be a 3 team trade where the Clippers end with Melo and Crowder and a 1st, Blake would go to Boston and Austin Rivers and other parts to NY who will clearly give Melo away at this point.

mrblisterdundee
04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
I'd love to see Chris Paul on the Jazz. With him, Hayward, Gobert and all those long-limbed athletes, I think Utah could give Golden State some real trouble.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-18-2017, 11:29 AM
LOL!! So much fail in this thread. Some of you should really look up team salaries before posting. How exactly is New Orleans supposed to sign any player to a max deal? CP3 would have to leave $100 + million on the table to go to half the teams mentioned in this thread. There were a couple ideas here that really stuck out to me. Someone called the Clippers a run and gun team. They must only watch highlights. When were the Clippers that team again? It sure as hell ain't this year. Clippers are half court team and get run out of the gym by run and gun teams. There were a handful of games this season where the Clippers had 20 point leads, a team went small and they lost. Speights has possibly been Doc's best signing. How is someone on a minimum deal even worth calling out? LOL!

For the thread, CP3 shouldn't leave if the Clippers offer the stupid super-max. It's too much money for a 32 year old to walk away from and he practically changed a rule himself so he can get it. I do think The Clippers will look differently next season though. Does anyone know if they can even do a S&T? They are a tax team so I'm not sure they can even participate in a S&T. If they can I would much rather see them trade CP3 than Blake but neither is going to live up to that deal imo and I think Blake will bring back much more in a trade. I think Blake may walk to Boston either way. Won't surprise me to see The Clippers end up with CP3 and Melo next year. Best case for The Clippers in that scenario would be a 3 team trade where the Clippers end with Melo and Crowder and a 1st, Blake would go to Boston and Austin Rivers and other parts to NY who will clearly give Melo away at this point.

Not a 100% positive. But I believe a luxury tax team cant sign and trade.

Dade County
04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
I'd love to see Chris Paul on the Jazz. With him, Hayward, Gobert and all those long-limbed athletes, I think Utah could give Golden State some real trouble.

No...

What GS has put together is a dynasty in the making. it would take players like prime Wade, Lbj, Prime Kobe, Shaq, Jordan...etc. To have great teams build around them to play against what GS has assembled together.