PDA

View Full Version : Are the Raptors mentally tough enough for the playoffs

latinofire21
04-16-2017, 11:04 AM
I am starting to feel bad for Raptor fans. They have been a regular season team for the past few years. They regressed position wise this season and with the additions of Ibaka and fillers I thought they were going to do some damage this offseason.

Then i remembered they just know how to choke and play down to the opposition. My question is simple:

Do you feel the Bucks are truly a matchup nightmare for the Raptors or are the Raptors simply not mentally tough enough for the playoffs?

If you feel its the latter is it even worth resigning Kyle "I never show up in the first round of the postseason" Lowry in the offseason?

Dade County
04-16-2017, 12:00 PM
I am starting to feel bad for Raptor fans. They have been a regular season team for the past few years. They regressed position wise this season and with the additions of Ibaka and fillers I thought they were going to do some damage this offseason.

Then i remembered they just know how to choke and play down to the opposition. My question is simple:

Do you feel the Bucks are truly a matchup nightmare for the Raptors or are the Raptors simply not mentally tough enough for the playoffs?

If you feel its the latter is it even worth resigning Kyle "I never show up in the first round of the postseason" Lowry in the offseason?

Nothing to worry about... The league is just trying to promote their product, Giannis. Bucks winning a couple of games is just to show case Giannis to the casual basketball fan. Raps will win the series.

zn23
04-16-2017, 12:05 PM
I have no idea what happens to Kyle Lowry in the playoffs, but he's a completely different player. He's much more passive, almost scared to play and make a mistake. It's not fatigue or injury either because he was out for a long period of time and then came back at the end of the season and played well.

aman_13
04-16-2017, 12:07 PM
The Raptors will win this series.

Vee-Rex
04-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Still got a lot more games to play but I wonder if Chronz will come to my side about Lowry.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2017, 12:44 PM
I'm a Raptors fan, but I've been critical of them. They had a tough time last year getting to the conference finals, at least tougher than they should have. But they played well against the Cavs.

They've proven they got it, and they have experience, but at the end of the day, even though they play well, they really aren't that talented a squad. I mean... there are teams in the league that have 2 or 3 guys who are in the top five in their position, and I would't argue that the Raptors even have one such player, depending on who you count as a PG or SG in this league (the lines are so blurred).

So... kudos for them playing well on the regular season, and best of luck to them in the playoffs. But I don't expect much in this round, or any round.

warfelg
04-16-2017, 01:04 PM
They got just about the worst possible matchup they could have pulled in round 1.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-16-2017, 01:36 PM
They play an ugly style that will probably go to game 6 or 7.

DanG
04-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Lowry is a choker. How can players like him be all-stars and players like Damian Lillard get snubbed.

Pfeifer
04-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Its one game. Lowry looks fragile and tentative. Will take him a few games to get back in game shape. Derozan looked fine. If the Raps can get better interior D and hit some more 3s they will be fine. Raps missed a ton of free throws as well. All this said the Bucks are a decent team. Could surprise all of us.

KnickNyKnick
04-16-2017, 02:28 PM
it was game 1. Id worry if they lose game 2. Which i doubt will happen.

kingsdelez24
04-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Because their offense is drive and/or kick with either Lowry or DeRozan, both who rely on regular season foul calls that aren't so frequently whistled

tp13baby
04-16-2017, 03:07 PM
They are lucky Jabari Parker is injured. Still a series they should win though.

lol, please
04-16-2017, 06:09 PM

They've been a contender for the last few years, if you have been paying attention.

I'm not worried. They lost one game in a 7 game series. They also lost the first game of the series twice last seasons playoffs and came back to win the series and advance, and that was a lesser team than this one. They will reach the finals.

kdspurman
04-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Edited the thread title to reflect what's being asked

cmellofan15
04-17-2017, 11:16 AM
Lowry is a choker. How can players like him be all-stars and players like Damian Lillard get snubbed.

Because they play in different conferences

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Their two best players have had a notorious history of being playoff chokers. If not for Biyombo, they would and should have been swept last season by the Cavs...

Tg11
04-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Simple answer HELL NO

FOXHOUND
04-17-2017, 02:37 PM
No. They're a good team but their top talent isn't good enough and doesn't perform well enough in the postseason. Masai is a good exec, but he's overrated.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-17-2017, 02:39 PM
They are lucky Jabari Parker is injured. Still a series they should win though.

Yeah Parker gets injured for the season the same game Middleton returns. Wish we had all our guys a full season. Parker be a nice scoring spark plug for us we sorely lack right now. Middleton has been a bit cold past week or so. Hopefully he heats up soon.

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 02:49 PM
don't forget lowry is a free agent after this season.. he's probably going to get max dollars but i don't know why toronto will pay for that considering he's terrible at the playoffs. at this point, they're basically paying for a 1st round exit with Lowry. Against the Cavs, let's be honest here.. without Biyombo going *******, they get swept.

FOXHOUND
04-17-2017, 03:00 PM
don't forget lowry is a free agent after this season.. he's probably going to get max dollars but i don't know why toronto will pay for that considering he's terrible at the playoffs. at this point, they're basically paying for a 1st round exit with Lowry. Against the Cavs, let's be honest here.. without Biyombo going *******, they get swept.

So is Ibaka, Patterson and Tucker. The last time Masai traded a 1st round pick for short term help for an upcoming FA (Iguodala), he left the next year after a disappointing first round loss with that 57-win Nuggets team...

Is he going to bolt Toronto now and continue his overrated journey somewhere else?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Raptors are in a tough spot in the offseason. More less forced to pay Lowry and Ibaka to keep the treadmill going or the GM could get fired if they dip and miss playoffs next year. But who wants to pay old man Ibaka? Probably was a mistake to trade for him. Raptors could use the scoring punch of Ross. But oh well. Ibaka been on the decline for a while now.

Then most likely forced to pay Lowry to keep him instead of letting him walk. Unless your lucky in a sign and trade? But then trading for Ibaka was a waste. They should of just purged the roster. Also the coach never tries to get Val early touches in game. Carroll got paid and not that exciting. DD on his max which played well this year. But I wouldn't want to be in the Raptors GM shoes this offseason.

Pfeifer
04-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Holy crap its been one game. This is honestly crazy. If they lose the series than this is a valid discussion. They very well could win the next 4 in a row.

TrueFan420
04-17-2017, 04:59 PM
The Raptors are the Clippers of the East

TrueFan420
04-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Holy crap its been one game. This is honestly crazy. If they lose the series than this is a valid discussion. They very well could win the next 4 in a row.

No doubt but outside of last year they would crumble. Their the Clippers of the East.

mrblisterdundee
04-17-2017, 05:22 PM
I picked the Bucks to upset the Raptors, who are kind of like Clippers-east. They have a really good team on paper, but in the moment seem to choke.
Giannis can run roughshod over any Raptor, and Monroe provides more of a punch off the bench than any of Toronto's reserves. If the Raptors want to win, they have to play a more open, fast and modern style, possibly going smaller and slotting players up a position.
Lowry would still be the point guard in that smaller lineup, and needs to play better. There's no reason he should ever be scoring less than 20 a game in the playoffs. If he can't do that, then the Raptors are cooked.

tp13baby
04-17-2017, 05:59 PM
So is Ibaka, Patterson and Tucker. The last time Masai traded a 1st round pick for short term help for an upcoming FA (Iguodala), he left the next year after a disappointing first round loss with that 57-win Nuggets team...

Is he going to bolt Toronto now and continue his overrated journey somewhere else?

How is he overrated? You expected him to let Derozan leave in FA? Acquiring Ibaka and Tucker were fairly cheap? Not sure how the lack of performance is his fault and not Caseys.

ewing
04-20-2017, 10:06 PM
I just checked the score and I'm going to say no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
04-20-2017, 10:26 PM
I want to say the Lowry and DeRozan played terrible in the playoffs again but that's tricky considering this is their norm. These two should never be "All-Stars" or max level players again. Absolute joke...

KnickNyKnick
04-20-2017, 10:55 PM
lol same old raps. This dosnt mean this still cant/wont win this series. But its crazy how it will come to game 7.

The Raps exhaust their self's right before the next round, then get down in games ahead, then pick it back up.
If they would remain consistent they would have no problem getting into the ECF much faster.

But the cavs are in their bracket this year. so if they win a series this year its this one.

If chicago beats Boston, they have the easier route to the ECF. But washington is stronger this season. Things are looking interesting in the east already..

BKLYNpigeon
04-21-2017, 12:04 AM
they have too much talent to be this inconsistent. Its all about coaching, time to try something new.

canzano55
04-21-2017, 12:14 AM
I'm not excusing how bad the Raptors are and have been but I'm making a prediction that is slightly unrelated to the thread title:

The Milwaukee Bucks are the future of the NBA.

This team struck lightning on Giannis and arguably two other players - Thon and Middleton. Add Parker to the mix (who they could trade for a really good piece because they clearly don't need him) and you have what looks eerily similar to what the Warrior organization found out they had in 2012.

The Cavs and Lebron James have been put on notice. I'm not saying the Bucks will beat the Cavs this season but they'll absolutely challenge them for Eastern Conference supremacy as early as next year.

Again this isn't an excuse for how embarrassing the Raps are but the Bucks have super sayens on their roster. The NBA is on the verge of changing in a big with Giannis - don't forget what I said.

FOXHOUND
04-21-2017, 02:14 AM
How is he overrated? You expected him to let Derozan leave in FA? Acquiring Ibaka and Tucker were fairly cheap? Not sure how the lack of performance is his fault and not Caseys.

With Lowry, Ibaka, Tucker and Patterson all coming up in FA, he's in the position of losing financial flexibility forever while keeping this under performing squad together or losing key pieces of it's core. Their cap is set for $91M without any of their new contracts accounted for, so it may be a mix of both.

What's so great about this team he built? Good team, sure, but like I said ultimately mediocre with no real playoff threat. I guess you can blame Casey - but who is responsible for who coaches? Casey has been there for 6-years now and predates Masai. Masai obviously hasn't seen an issue in his coaching as he keeps bringing him back.

Whether it's the coach or the roster, the team President is responsible for both. So, in the words of the illustrious Phil Jackson, I would ask Masai... how's it goink?

FOXHOUND
04-21-2017, 02:17 AM
I'm not excusing how bad the Raptors are and have been but I'm making a prediction that is slightly unrelated to the thread title:

The Milwaukee Bucks are the future of the NBA.

This team struck lightning on Giannis and arguably two other players - Thon and Middleton. Add Parker to the mix (who they could trade for a really good piece because they clearly don't need him) and you have what looks eerily similar to what the Warrior organization found out they had in 2012.

The Cavs and Lebron James have been put on notice. I'm not saying the Bucks will beat the Cavs this season but they'll absolutely challenge them for Eastern Conference supremacy as early as next year.

Again this isn't an excuse for how embarrassing the Raps are but the Bucks have super sayens on their roster. The NBA is on the verge of changing in a big with Giannis - don't forget what I said.

They are definitely the most promising team in the ECF to take Cleveland's throne, IMO. With their draft track record and the strength of this draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up another good player with their pick at #17.

JasonJohnHorn
04-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Casey has shot himself in the foot in the same way George Karl and Brad Stevens have: by getting more wins out of an average team than he ought to have. That raises expectations.

Their record may be better than the Bucks', but that doesn't mean they are a better team. The Bucks have the most talented player on the court (Giawoalongunpronounceablename), and perhaps the second best player in Kris Middleton, whose defense is stellar, and who frankly offers more in terms of impact that DMDR and perhaps even Lowry.

I mean... they got Greg Monroe coming off the bench. I realize he's a bit old-school in terms of style and doesn't have a lot of range, but he's a solid post player and rebounder AND he's a great passer (grossly underrated there). I love Val, and he's a better rebounder than Monroe, and likely player overall at this point, but not by much.

The Bucks aren't great, but at the end of the day, neither are the Raptors. The Raptors, like the Celtics, are simply a consistent team, and that translates to regular season success, but without the right pieces, it also translates to post-season disappointment.

I mean, the Raptors leading scorer posts nearly 30 points a game shooting under .500 and has no 3-pt shots. Al Jefferson give you a higher FG% than that (though he doesn't draw the same number of fouls). How do you expect to win in the post-season, let alone win a title, with DMDR as your primary scorer? You don't.

I don't fault anybody on this. Casey is winning about as much as he ought to, and their GM has his hands tied: players simply don't want to play in Canada. That makes it hard to recruit free agents, and given that, he's done a solid job putting a competitive team together. But that's all it is.

Expecting any more than that is unrealistic. They might win the series in 7 or 6; they might lose it in 5. That's just the type of team they are. They cover for their short comings in the regular season, but in a series, where you get to know players inside out, and coaches get an up-close look at the team over 7 games, you can't hide that stuff.

YAALREADYKNO
04-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Lowry and derozan inconsistent in the playoffs? How surprising

kingsdelez24
04-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Valanciunas has been stunted by their system over and is probably getting traded this offseason.