PDA

View Full Version : Paul George "I gotta get the last shot"

KnicksorBust
04-16-2017, 08:40 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19167326/paul-george-indiana-pacers-upset-take-final-shot-game-1-loss-cleveland-cavaliers

"I talked to CJ about it," George said following the team's 109-108 loss. "In situations like that, I gotta get the last shot. I was asking for it. CJ took it upon himself."

Cleveland's LeBron James, who was the second man on the double-team that forced George to give up the ball, said he thinks the Pacers star made the right basketball decision.
"I can only speak for myself. When you're doubling me, I'm giving it up. That's me," James said. "I don't know how everybody else feels about that, but if you get a double, I think we all know math in here: There's two guys on the ball, and that means there's a 4-on-3. You have your numbers. So if you're the best player on the floor, that doesn't mean you have to take the shot. I think he made the right play, and you live with the results."

JAZZNC
04-16-2017, 08:47 AM
That's just George being butt hurt. People say stuff like that after a stinging loss and weak people gonna put the blame somewhere else.

Heediot
04-16-2017, 09:01 AM
They should of started attacking early to force Cleveland to show their hand defensively. Once LeBron came for the double their wasn't ample time to get the ball back. Cleveland played that well forcing the double late in the clock. Indiana gambled for a later shot.

mrblisterdundee
04-16-2017, 09:12 AM
There was an infographic on television showing how George is 0-15 in the last 20 seconds with the game on the line. I'm not sure he's gotta get the last shot.

tp13baby
04-16-2017, 09:26 AM
He has gotta get the last shot but man being doubled without attacking makes it really hard not to give it up in that situation. George is becoming is becoming a ***** too.

Stunner
04-16-2017, 10:00 AM
https://twitter.com/thelistofko/status/853480229754556416

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] better stop calling people out until he gets the job done himself

TO Rapz
04-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Do you guys not think he knows hes 0-15? These players know these things, its about THEM. In spite of that, you need this mentality to be a top player.

You think Paul George cares if he's been 0 for 20? He needs to have it, he needs to have that mentality.

Dade County
04-16-2017, 12:11 PM
https://twitter.com/thelistofko/status/853480229754556416

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] better stop calling people out until he gets the job done himself

I was going to post something like this as well...

Do you guys not think he knows hes 0-15? These players know these things, its about THEM. In spite of that, you need this mentality to be a top player.

You think Paul George cares if he's been 0 for 20? He needs to have it, he needs to have that mentality.

Nicely stated.

da ThRONe
04-16-2017, 12:46 PM
I hate this I want the best shot available. I remember when people tried to kill LeBron for making the right play.

More-Than-Most
04-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Or wait for it... You can actually let your balls drop and shoot the other 11 plus minutes of the quarter and not rely on the last shot.... my man went casper in the 4th

IndyRealist
04-16-2017, 04:43 PM
There was an infographic on television showing how George is 0-15 in the last 20 seconds with the game on the line. I'm not sure he's gotta get the last shot.

Because he's dribbles out the clock and tries to beat his man in iso, even though he's a really poor ballhandler for being a top wing player.

IndyRealist
04-16-2017, 04:44 PM

That's the problem. He's right and everyone else is wrong. He needs to understand that what he is doing is NOT WORKING.

Firefistus
04-17-2017, 01:04 AM
Well, he just gave the Cavs the defensive map the rest of the series, as long as you double George, he'll be taking the last couple shots. The other team mates won't be shooting and will pass it back to him.

Sag on the other players, double George and the game is won.

kobe4thewinbang
04-17-2017, 03:12 AM
Paul George is a goner if the Pacers lose this series. They gonna trade him before he bolts.
CJ got a great shot, faked out Jefferson. Just fell short. Better than some volley by George.
Whatever happened to running a solid play. Hmm, maybe they should've kept Coach Vogel.

TheDish87
04-17-2017, 11:58 AM
he gave the ball up and it was the right play. By the time he got free there was under 4 secs left and he was 5 feet behind the arc. Miles got off a good shot anyway, at least good enough.

IndyRealist
04-17-2017, 12:15 PM
he gave the ball up and it was the right play. By the time he got free there was under 4 secs left and he was 5 feet behind the arc. Miles got off a good shot anyway, at least good enough.

He did in fact say yesterday that he watched it several times and it was the right play. The bigger problem is that he can't pass out of a double easily.

Kyben36
04-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Gotta admit personally i dont like this from george, i know your the guy, but you had the ball in your hands and gave it up on such a soft double, you as a player have to make a play, to give it up with 5 second left and demand the ball back, you would have no time to make a move yourself.

It honestly him just sounding like an ******* though. You had the ball george. And you cant blame another guy for taking a decent shot (it was not a bad shot) to try and finish the game.

But honestly, im surprised at the personel they had on the floor. You would think they would have had a guy like teague who can handle the ball and make a play ready for the pass off in case of double.

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 12:40 PM
I think there's a stat going around that shows that the best player on a team has shot a lower % than the other players when going for a game winner or clutch %. I'm not sure what the details are but this notion that a star player can get a better shot than someone who is wide open is plain myth. It's the narrative that Skip and other media members love to bite because it's a star-driven league but the right play is and will always be, pass the ball to the man who is in position to make an open shot.

IndyRealist
04-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Gotta admit personally i dont like this from george, i know your the guy, but you had the ball in your hands and gave it up on such a soft double, you as a player have to make a play, to give it up with 5 second left and demand the ball back, you would have no time to make a move yourself.

It honestly him just sounding like an ******* though. You had the ball george. And you cant blame another guy for taking a decent shot (it was not a bad shot) to try and finish the game.

But honestly, im surprised at the personel they had on the floor. You would think they would have had a guy like teague who can handle the ball and make a play ready for the pass off in case of double.

Paul George gets the ball on final possessions. Does it make sense? No. But that's what they do.

IndyRealist
04-17-2017, 01:36 PM
I think there's a stat going around that shows that the best player on a team has shot a lower % than the other players when going for a game winner or clutch %. I'm not sure what the details are but this notion that a star player can get a better shot than someone who is wide open is plain myth. It's the narrative that Skip and other media members love to bite because it's a star-driven league but the right play is and will always be, pass the ball to the man who is in position to make an open shot.

Star players can get star calls though. On a 1pt game he should have been at the rim, period.

IKnowHoops
04-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Star players can get star calls though. On a 1pt game he should have been at the rim, period.

Getting to the rim and getting a foul call against Lebron is dang near impossible. Getting to the rim against a double team involving Lebron is impossible. Won't even be attempted by any wing player ever accept Kobe in the allstar game.

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 02:56 PM

refs don't usually call those anymore. It's definitely there but usually when you're at the rim and with the way the Cavs guarded him, I didn't see a good shot there at all for PG. The fact is, if your teammate is open and can make that shot, you make the pass. You just gotta live with it. PG shot a much worse % from that area of the field than CJ did for the season. I don't get why PG thinks he's the better option other than ego. It's like: would you rather LeBron shoot the game winning three or Ray Allen? I mean, for story purposes, LeBron shooting it would be perfect for them but realistically, the answer will be Allen.

IndyRealist
04-17-2017, 07:48 PM
refs don't usually call those anymore. It's definitely there but usually when you're at the rim and with the way the Cavs guarded him, I didn't see a good shot there at all for PG. The fact is, if your teammate is open and can make that shot, you make the pass. You just gotta live with it. PG shot a much worse % from that area of the field than CJ did for the season. I don't get why PG thinks he's the better option other than ego. It's like: would you rather LeBron shoot the game winning three or Ray Allen? I mean, for story purposes, LeBron shooting it would be perfect for them but realistically, the answer will be Allen.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees it.

JasonJohnHorn
04-17-2017, 08:13 PM
I love his passion and his desire, but I'm not a fan of this comment. That said, I think he proved he improved as a person and as a teammate by recanting this statement.

Stunner
04-18-2017, 12:05 AM
Lance gotta control himself [emoji24][emoji848][emoji23]

Stunner
04-20-2017, 10:08 PM
How he going to blame now?

FlashBolt
04-20-2017, 10:13 PM
How he going to blame now?

Larry bird...?

WaDe03
04-20-2017, 10:27 PM
People really think he's better than Butler.

Stunner
04-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Paul George is now 2-for-32 all-time on potential game-tying or go-ahead shots in the final 15 seconds, including reg. season and playoffs.

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/856232781730512897

Tg11
04-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Either way I see George leaving in the off season, but as for where? George goes to the Lakers but if not the Lakers then he will go to the Clippers for sure

More-Than-Most
04-23-2017, 04:13 PM
I am trying to figure out why he would go to the lakers after leaving the pacers for not being good while leaving money on the table? The lakers would also be stupid to trade for him.

D Blue987
04-23-2017, 04:39 PM
I am trying to figure out why he would go to the lakers after leaving the pacers for not being good while leaving money on the table? The lakers would also be stupid to trade for him.

How exactly would they be stupid for trading for him? The biggest reason the Lakers have been forced to sign guys to crappy contracts (Deng/Mozgov) is because of the previous managements inability to sell big name free agents on the team. That is largely due to the lack of an already existing in his prime star in LA . There has been no clear direction for the franchise for years as the Lakers have been forced to live through the nba draft during that time much like the 76ers. At some point the Lakers need a star to pitch to free agents this offseason to sign in order to advance the rebuild process. Otherwise they will once again have to be bottom feeders and sign guys to more bad deals. PG13 would be an excellent starting point for the Lakers as it is likely he would sign an extension with them (LA is close to his home town) and cost the Lakers less than say a Jimmy Butler would who is signed long term...

Tg11
04-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Paul George if he leaves in the off season to go to LA specifically the Lakers then more free agents will be attracted to want to go to LA

More-Than-Most
04-23-2017, 05:29 PM
he cant leave in this off season... he is there 1 more year.

Heediot
04-23-2017, 05:30 PM
i swear he shot like 4-5 air balls in the game including the last second three point attempt.

More-Than-Most
04-23-2017, 05:31 PM
How exactly would they be stupid for trading for him? The biggest reason the Lakers have been forced to sign guys to crappy contracts (Deng/Mozgov) is because of the previous managements inability to sell big name free agents on the team. That is largely due to the lack of an already existing in his prime star in LA . There has been no clear direction for the franchise for years as the Lakers have been forced to live through the nba draft during that time much like the 76ers. At some point the Lakers need a star to pitch to free agents this offseason to sign in order to advance the rebuild process. Otherwise they will once again have to be bottom feeders and sign guys to more bad deals. PG13 would be an excellent starting point for the Lakers as it is likely he would sign an extension with them (LA is close to his home town) and cost the Lakers less than say a Jimmy Butler would who is signed long term...

the pacers turned down covington/lakers first/kings first and 1 of Noel/Holmes or OKA with them having the choice for PG when the sixers just tried to trade for him and reports are the sixers were willing to give up their own picks instead if need be and the pacers still said no... PG13 is a top 15-20 player that the pacers are demanding a trade package like he is top 5... if the lakers trade for him say goodbye to their top 3 this year and ingram and possibly more... ITS NOT WORTH IT... If they wait to see if he hits free agency they might have a chance but again why would he leave the pacers and go to a team that has been worse? He took a pay cut once already... He will either cash in with the pacers or he will go to a contender.... I dont see any other way... Like I said the lakers would be moronic to gut themselves for a top 15-20 player.

Tg11
04-23-2017, 05:32 PM
But after this I can see George opting out and leaving anyway

Heediot
04-23-2017, 05:36 PM
the pacers turned down covington/lakers first/kings first and 1 of Noel/Holmes or OKA with them having the choice for PG when the sixers just tried to trade for him and reports are the sixers were willing to give up their own picks instead if need be and the pacers still said no... PG13 is a top 15-20 player that the pacers are demanding a trade package like he is top 5... if the lakers trade for him say goodbye to their top 3 this year and ingram and possibly more... ITS NOT WORTH IT... If they wait to see if he hits free agency they might have a chance but again why would he leave the pacers and go to a team that has been worse? He took a pay cut once already... He will either cash in with the pacers or he will go to a contender.... I dont see any other way... Like I said the lakers would be moronic to gut themselves for a top 15-20 player.

I think like the Melo/Clippers situation, the Lakers have leverage so it's pretty interesting how the situation is.

Tg11
04-23-2017, 05:42 PM
And if the Lakers have leverage then they can trade away some of their pieces but also by getting George you can build around him with the pieces you have left

tp13baby
04-23-2017, 05:51 PM
But after this I can see George opting out and leaving anyway
George would opt out after next year regardless so I don't see your point at all. LA should trade for him. Unless Rocco comes in here, most of us agree their young guys have been disappointing.

He says LA but after another ****** year would you go to the competitive west to play for a team that is so far away and waste your prime years on a rebuild?

Tg11
04-23-2017, 05:54 PM
George will go to L.A. and why? Money talks and not to mention Magic will lure PG13 to the Lakers but also the Lakers even though they are rebuilding right now they do have a bright future and George will go there because at least there they can build around him

IndyRealist
04-23-2017, 05:57 PM
The Lakers only option is to trade for him. If they don't, they have the money but not the team to surround him with to compete. Why would he CHOOSE to go to LA when he can choose to go go San Antonio, Boston, etc. for the same money? If he's going to not go to a contender, Indiana is more competitive right now and can offer more money.

LA's only choice is to trade for his contract so they can offer more money than anyone else.

Tg11
04-23-2017, 06:01 PM
But if PG13 goes to my team the Celtics then it's definitely over because we have the team to surround him with

More-Than-Most
04-23-2017, 07:32 PM
George will go to L.A. and why? Money talks and not to mention Magic will lure PG13 to the Lakers but also the Lakers even though they are rebuilding right now they do have a bright future and George will go there because at least there they can build around him

Money use to talk before TV deals... Now teams can pay their own guys much more... PG13 isnt walking away from 30 plus mill even without all nba team... If he gets all nba team the pacers can offer him 75 mill more than any other team... Money does talk just not for the big markets anymore... Fun note on Melo 135 mill contract he had to pay 21 mill in tax... Its just as much with LA... So now that 30-70 million depending on the market balloons even higher when you factor in tax... Its no longer worth playing for a top market unless that market is in contention and the lakers/knicks arent.

More-Than-Most
04-23-2017, 07:35 PM
But if PG13 goes to my team the Celtics then it's definitely over because we have the team to surround him with

this would be the best move they pacers/PG and the celtics could make... Win/Win/Win for all sides... Ainge will never give up the pieces though.

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2017, 08:44 PM

Indiana can offer the most money though..

D Blue987
04-23-2017, 11:50 PM

Like I said in the Lakers forum though, it is hard to see the Lakers being gutted if George is only willing to play for LA as has been reported in the media at the trade deadline. The Lakers will be highly active in the offseason and they have a lot of good, not great, young talent to make a trade with Indiana work. I wouldn't say anybody on their roster has elite potential other than Ingram but again, if George has no interest in an extension then there is not much other option for Indiana than to trade him and it wont be for a substantial haul either because of his contract situation. Any team that wants him will only do a deal if George will sign an extension and he may only be willing to give the ok to that with the Lakers at this point. He holds some leverage and LA is his home so I am sure he would like to be on a big market team that is going to do what it has to in order to put out a winner at some point. The Lakers won't be a championship contender with him outrightly but his presence will begin to attract the star presence again that has been sorely lacking for years. Thats why you trade for him instead of risking him not being dealt and signing him in FA since it is clearly in the Pacers best interest to deal him this offseason.

More-Than-Most
04-24-2017, 12:21 AM
Like I said in the Lakers forum though, it is hard to see the Lakers being gutted if George is only willing to play for LA as has been reported in the media at the trade deadline. The Lakers will be highly active in the offseason and they have a lot of good, not great, young talent to make a trade with Indiana work. I wouldn't say anybody on their roster has elite potential other than Ingram but again, if George has no interest in an extension then there is not much other option for Indiana than to trade him and it wont be for a substantial haul either because of his contract situation. Any team that wants him will only do a deal if George will sign an extension and he may only be willing to give the ok to that with the Lakers at this point. He holds some leverage and LA is his home so I am sure he would like to be on a big market team that is going to do what it has to in order to put out a winner at some point. The Lakers won't be a championship contender with him outrightly but his presence will begin to attract the star presence again that has been sorely lacking for years. Thats why you trade for him instead of risking him not being dealt and signing him in FA since it is clearly in the Pacers best interest to deal him this offseason.

Cousins didnt sign an extension... Teams trade for players all the time without expecting extensions

aman_13
04-24-2017, 12:38 AM
So how about this for irony. So much talk about the last shot after game 1 and the series ends with Miles giving the ball to PG who missed the last shot.

IKnowHoops
04-24-2017, 01:31 AM
Best place for George is on the Cavs. Play with your boy Lebron, be his Pippen, and win Championships together. Trade one of Kyrie or Love for George and then trade the one thats left for Butler.

More-Than-Most
04-24-2017, 01:40 AM
the hilarious thing is... what is the stat for last shots? 1-33... quite frankly everyone including 90 year old bird himself would probably be the more ideal shooter in that situation :laugh:

More-Than-Most
04-24-2017, 01:44 AM
not only did he miss it... he air balled a wide open 3 with nobody around him lol

One Nut Kruk
04-24-2017, 10:47 AM
That whole sequence was a joke, them trying to force the ball to George for the last shot. Finally gets it and wow, beauty shot bud.

D Blue987
04-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Cousins didnt sign an extension... Teams trade for players all the time without expecting extensions

Cousins wasn't a pending free agent the following year at the time of trade and the return that Sacramento got from the Pelicans was by most people's standards a poor one. That example only goes to prove why the Lakers should strike now instead of wait for free agency because if George says trade me to LA or bust, the Lakers will have most of the leverage in that scenario. Its likely the Pacers blow up their team this offseason anyways. The Lakers can shift out some young talent and expiring contract like Corey Brewer in a trade for George while still not adding substantially to their salary cap next year. This would allow them to potentially add another star this offseason to play alongside George while still keeping a healthy mix of young guys on the team too.

FlashBolt
04-26-2017, 11:51 AM
Best place for George is on the Cavs. Play with your boy Lebron, be his Pippen, and win Championships together. Trade one of Kyrie or Love for George and then trade the one thats left for Butler.

That's actually a good analogy there in George being LeBron's Pippen. It'll also come to a point where LeBron has to be the 2nd option and George takes over. It'll be a good mix seeing as how both create nightmare matchups. I'd trade Kyrie or Love for PG and wouldn't think twice.

WaDe03
04-26-2017, 12:22 PM
The Pacers and Bulls wouldn't trade Butler or George for Love, doubtful for Kyrie imo.

Firefistus
04-26-2017, 01:53 PM
I never understand this. They think that Butler or George are so much better than Love that they won't even entertain the idea? Never mind the fact that their players don't even want to play there anymore.

I'll give these teams a hint, if your player doesn't want to play there anymore, and other teams know it, than the value of that player drops drastically. And if you don't trade for him now, than when he comes up on free agency than you'll lose him for nothing.

IMO Butler or Hill for Love is a fair deal, want a first round on top of that? Fine, but anything over that is WAY over paying for the trade.

Me personally, I think they need a better Center, maybe they would be able to get Drummond for Love, or Whiteside. Howard might even play well with LeBron.

One thing for sure though, Cavs don't need a PF that can shoot the three, they have plenty of 3 ballers on the team.

FlashBolt
04-26-2017, 03:01 PM
I never understand this. They think that Butler or George are so much better than Love that they won't even entertain the idea? Never mind the fact that their players don't even want to play there anymore.

I'll give these teams a hint, if your player doesn't want to play there anymore, and other teams know it, than the value of that player drops drastically. And if you don't trade for him now, than when he comes up on free agency than you'll lose him for nothing.

IMO Butler or Hill for Love is a fair deal, want a first round on top of that? Fine, but anything over that is WAY over paying for the trade.

Me personally, I think they need a better Center, maybe they would be able to get Drummond for Love, or Whiteside. Howard might even play well with LeBron.

One thing for sure though, Cavs don't need a PF that can shoot the three, they have plenty of 3 ballers on the team.

Cavs dont need a center. They have Tristan thompson who is durable and gives you 10/10 with good defense. What they need is an athletic pf who can actually run a fastbreak. A guy like AD and LeBron or you can even slide paul george in the sf and have lebron play pf in spurts. Love lacks lateral movement and gets dominated by quickfooted guys every time. Hes a damn turtle when it comes to his footwork. last years championship, love contributed nothing. 8 points and 6 rebounds on terrible efficiency? Lebron should have taken his ring.

IndyRealist
04-26-2017, 04:13 PM
George has not said he wants out, unless you're referencing what Dontae's third cousin's girlfriend's step sister heard.

WaDe03
04-26-2017, 05:42 PM
George has not said he wants out, unless you're referencing what Dontae's third cousin's girlfriend's step sister heard.

Same with Butler. He's only said he wants to stay and wants to win a championship in Chicago.