PDA

View Full Version : Preseason predictions you nailed and completely missed

mightybosstone
04-15-2017, 01:50 AM
So, looking through that Vegas preseason odds thread, I saw a lot of predictions posters hit on the head and some that were just total whiffs. So, what are some things you guys thought at the start of the season that actually came to fruition? And what were some predictions that you just got completely wrong?

Here are a few of mine...

Got right:
- Predicted the Bucks would finish ahead of Chicago and New York
- Predicted the Knicks would be a bad basketball team and not come close to the postseason
- Got all eight Western Conference playoff teams right
- Predicted a bounce back season for the Rockets
- Predicted Harden and Westbrook would be frontrunners for the MVP
- Assumed the Celtics would take a step forward this season

Got wrong
- Predicted the Pistons would finish in the top 4-5 in the East
- Predicted the Wizards would fail to make the playoffs (definitely a pleasant surprise)
- Picked the Blazers to finish in the top four in the West
- Thought the Cavs would easily win 60+ games this season

More-Than-Most
04-15-2017, 02:21 AM
Said the cavs would fall off
Said the warriors would be insane with or without durant
said the knicks would be ****
said if the bulls were a top 4 seed id get myself perma banned
Said Embiid would enter god mode
Said the sixers would win 30 games if healthy... far from healthy and won 28
Said westy would be a god
Said PG13 is ****ing overrated
Said kyrie would fall hard defensively
I said the lakers would be a lottery team when the sixers fanbase doubted our pick

I was wrong about love
I was wrong about harden
I was wrong about Dantoni and the rockets
I was wrong about the wolves winning 50-60 games

cmellofan15
04-15-2017, 08:07 AM
So you were wrong about embiid?

One Nut Kruk
04-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Yeah I was wondering why that wasn't in the bottom portion.

More-Than-Most
04-15-2017, 05:47 PM

im sorry I cant hear you over a 29/11/3/4 on 47 percent shooting and 37 percent from 3 with insane defense per 36 minutes... That is Best in the business over a full season... I said he would be a god if healthy.. he was a good and still not healthy... others said well of course he looks good dunking in practice wait until he plays a game... played 31 games and shut the haters up... The potential is GOAT like... Can he stay healthy is the only question.

valade16
04-15-2017, 05:57 PM
im sorry I cant hear you over a 29/11/3/4 on 47 percent shooting and 37 percent from 3 with insane defense per 36 minutes... That is Best in the business over a full season... I said he would be a god if healthy.. he was a good and still not healthy... others said well of course he looks good dunking in practice wait until he plays a game... played 31 games and shut the haters up... The potential is GOAT like... Can he stay healthy is the only question.

Embiid had a great season when he played, but using Per36 minutes is meaningless if he can't play 36 minutes a night, which he can't. He didn't even play over 30 minutes once.

I could make many players look amazing by posting their 48 minutes stats, but it doesn't matter if they can't play the whole game.

More-Than-Most
04-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Embiid had a great season when he played, but using Per36 minutes is meaningless if he can't play 36 minutes a night, which he can't. He didn't even play over 30 minutes once.

I could make many players look amazing by posting their 48 minutes stats, but it doesn't matter if they can't play the whole game.

Sooooo Again good buddy you are agreeing with me. :cheers:

WaDe03
04-15-2017, 06:07 PM
I'm always right.

cmellofan15
04-15-2017, 06:30 PM

No he proved haters right in the fact that he only played 31 games on limited minutes at that. The dude isn't a god, he's an injury prone stat stuffer on an abysmal team.

Chronz
04-15-2017, 06:50 PM
I cant remember but I know I lost money on the Bucks (didn't think Middleton would save them like he has nor how much of a leap Giannis would make). Lost money on the Twolves, Rockets, Clippers, Spurs.

Like everyone else I hit on the Jazz and thats about all I remember

mrblisterdundee
04-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Right:
The Blazers won't be very good.
Utah will have homecourt advantage in the first round of the playoffs and one of the best defenses in the league.
Milwaukee with Middleton is one of the top-four Eastern team.
The Kings would trade Cousins (not to New Orleans).

Wrong:
The Spurs would fall off.
The Rockets won't make the playoffs.
The Bulls won't make the playoffs.
Minnesota will have a winning record.

FlashBolt
04-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Sooooo Again good buddy you are agreeing with me. :cheers:

Yes.. he is agreeing with you in that Embiid is a very good player when healthy. Just like how a car is as good as its engine. And you can't use PER36 unless that player is playing above 36 or close to it. embiid doesn't play B2B and is off more often than not so teams don't even plan for him to play. It'll be more difficult when teams are aware that he is playing and then plan accordingly. And you also don't take into account that Embiid is probably hurting his team long-term considering they have to keep inserting players to replace him.