PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on the Phil/Melo situation?

More-Than-Most
04-14-2017, 07:30 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19159149/carmelo-anthony-better-somewhere-else-phil-jackson-says

He then says he wants a top player basically for melo lol... Is he ****ing insane? I honestly am not a Melo fan but i think jackson is doing him really dirty... He is alienating him while showing his hand about trading him but then expecting a good bit in return for him? He is ****ing ********.

GiantsSwaGG
04-14-2017, 08:05 PM
I already come to the conclusion Phil needs to retire. Dude wants to coach but not coach at the same time. Now I see why he avoided the media all season. I don't get it you want to trade Melo yet you're hurting his value? lol I hate Melo guts and I can't til he's gone but it's hard not to feel sorry for him.

The funny thing is everything he said about Melo is 1000% true but you don't say it out loud. I mean common sense would tell you to talk him up until his traded. Melo is on the decline but he's still serviceable as a 3rd option for a contender. I've stated I would trade Melo for a role player and a bag of chips, I don't see us getting an impact player back!

ball4reel
04-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Phil put together a band of misfits and expected a miracle. Now he wants to blame the 1 guy that was all in for this team, I still think in the right situation Melo can thrive and help a contender. As for the Knicks, as long as Phil is running things this will be a F'd up team

xxplayerxx23
04-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Draft well that's all I ask. KP good Willy solid. That's a start. Draft well this year.

Dade County
04-14-2017, 11:33 PM
I think the reason why Phil is doing all of this, it because players like Meo, Lbj & Wade do things their way. Phil is playing a psychological game with Melo right now.

Phil knows that Melo will just try to select 2 or 3 teams maybe and say I only want to go here, those teams will low ball Knicks. So in return Phil, is creating a situation (media circus), where Melo will have to deal with the negativity.

Phil wants more options, I don't know if he is going about this the right way; but I do believe Melo will break first and he will be shipped somewhere he didn't plan on at first.

Phil isn't going to take any bull crap for the players of the 2003 class LMAO

But he is also making the organization look bad in the process.

KnickNyKnick
04-14-2017, 11:56 PM
Phil isn't going to take any bull crap for the players of the 2003 class LMAO

But he is also making the organization look bad in the process.

yup cant have melo and his 2003 posse trying to waste time

HandsOnTheWheel
04-15-2017, 03:07 AM
I'd want that headache Melo gone too.

cheetos185
04-15-2017, 04:46 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19159149/carmelo-anthony-better-somewhere-else-phil-jackson-says

He then says he wants a top player basically for melo lol... Is he ****ing insane? I honestly am not a Melo fan but i think jackson is doing him really dirty... He is alienating him while showing his hand about trading him but then expecting a good bit in return for him? He is ****ing ********.

Just like the sixers did with okafor

More-Than-Most
04-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Just like the sixers did with okafor

yea but colangelo is a ****ing ****** and our situation was extremely different... we were dealing from a place of weakness... phil is offering up weakness... very very different.... After reading the article today Porz is gonna walk as soon as he is able because the virus that is Phil... But thanks for bringing nothing to the topic and seeing red because its phil and the knicks.

KnicksorBust
04-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Draft well that's all I ask. KP good Willy solid. That's a start. Draft well this year.

Its been 4 years and all you can say about his tenure is "KP good Willy solid." Boot his ***.

mrblisterdundee
04-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Phil's pissed at re-signing Carmelo with that no-trade clause. Now he's taking it out on him until he's willing to waive that trade clause. It should have been obvious to him the Knicks needed to fully rebuild and move on from Anthony. But we're talking about a guy still clinging to the triangle.

Heediot
04-15-2017, 08:15 PM
I bet an older and crippled Noah turns out more serviceable with Rose and Melo gone on a team with better ball movement.

Phil has made some blunders in NY, but Melo is the bigger problem. Dude has to protect his brand, which is big in NY so he's not going to to say anything bad about the city or the situation of the franchise. I think he cares more about his brand vs. winning. I don't think he'll go to a small market contender or a city that will hurt his brand.

europagnpilgrim
04-15-2017, 08:52 PM
I bet an older and crippled Noah turns out more serviceable with Rose and Melo gone on a team with better ball movement.

Phil has made some blunders in NY, but Melo is the bigger problem. Dude has to protect his brand, which is big in NY so he's not going to to say anything bad about the city or the situation of the franchise. I think he cares more about his brand vs. winning. I don't think he'll go to a small market contender or a city that will hurt his brand.

You may be right about Noah thriving but the thing with Melo is he is about as known as he is going to be seeing him coming into his like 15th season and playing Olympic ball and with the Mecca for 7yrs, him going to a small market wont hurt or help him because he is what he is and will be, if he is still signed to the Jordan brand then it doesn't get any bigger than that because that is worldwide, it might hurt his personal feelings but him going to a smaller market wont do much damage unless he suffers a career ending injury there, but him to Minny or Boston or even a Rockets/Spurs team wont hurt him brand wise but it would help him confident/contending wise for sure(the last 3 teams mentioned)

europagnpilgrim
04-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Phil is basically just showing what he is capable of when working with a dysfunctional franchise that was that way before he took over, its been that way since Zeke/Brown was there and Woodson did his best to patch up the 20inch gash and they let the most stable coach get away, imagine that

Phil has the top notch players to coach and he is HOF material, get him in a complete 180 situation and he sucks bad, that's sports for you in a nutshell

Phil should coach the team since he is hell bent on them running that overrated motion offense that Tex Winters came to the table with(he got it from someone else as well probably), Phil could have his dream scenario because I am sure Dolan is cocky enough to make it happen and that is to coach/President at the same time

make it happen Dolan, I would love to see the reaction from the Mecca after this, Phil wouldn't be able to hide like he can in his President role

j-bay
04-16-2017, 01:05 AM
Anybody got the feeling that this got worse because of a 3rd party. Not going to name any names, but i got a feeling someone didn't want to leave NY coughMelo'swifecough.

Jets012
04-16-2017, 01:24 AM
This team is such a joke. All they have to show for their whole tenure is that Kristaps is a solid player (albeit he's incredibly overrated, still has a long way to become a #1 guy).

omdigga
04-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Cant defend Phil here.. He has hidden from the media all season leaving melo out to dry.. if he wasnt sold on melo why give him that ridiculous contract with a NTC.. stupid.. the knicks are a soap opera until Dolan and Jackson go.

Dade County
04-16-2017, 12:46 PM
So what if Melo just says no, I'm not waving my NTC...

Do the Knicks just have him come off the bench? I just see this situation getting worse and worse if he isn't traded this off season.

In no way I would like for this to happen, but I can see a Bosh for Melo trade if Phil doesn't get the assets he is looking for.

JasonJohnHorn
04-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Here's my opinion:

Melo is and always has been overrated (even by me in some seasons). He doesn't defend, he isn't good enough at any one thing to be the best, and he wants the ball more than he ought to have it. No team is going to win with him as their franchise player.

Jackson? Was an idiot for retaining him. And he's been an idiot in almost everything he's done as the Knicks president. I feel like he's got no direction. I don't blame him for putting the team he put together because he simply didn't have many options, and frankly, it was worth the gamble because they had nothing else to do, but it didn't pay off. Phil Jackson is doing an awful job, but he also had a tough job coming in.

He shouldn't have had the last two years of his contract picked up, but I feel like his recent comments about Melo have been taken out of context. He essentially said this team is not winning with him, and he would like to see him go to a situation where he can compete for a championship. That actually seems pretty diplomatic. But people just say "Jackson wants him gone".

There's a big difference between saying: This guy sucks; I wish he was on another team. And essentially saying: we don't have the right pieces for him and at this point in his career, and given where the team is at, it's best that he get to go to a situation where he can compete for a title and we can focus on retooling this team.

thapastime7
04-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Ill say this until the end...knicks is a franchise no stars wants to play for...and the only mother$%#$% that wants to be here. Melo is willing to give up the throne to kp but he's not ready. Melo is a good teammate i would love for him to stay the remaining years and at that point you sjould know if kp can handle being the number one hes not ready.

Firefistus
04-17-2017, 01:34 AM
Can the Knicks waive Melo this summer? They certainly will have the cap room to pay his salary in full, then he could sign for any team he wants for vet minimum and the Knicks will be paying for the cost difference.