PDA

View Full Version : Magic fire GM Rob Hennigen

aman_13
04-13-2017, 10:58 AM
NBA's youngest general manager is now out of a job.

The Orlando Magic fired Rob Hennigan, as well as assistant general manager Scott Perry, following a 29-53 season, CEO Alex Martins announced Thursday.

Matt Lloyd, an assistant general manager with Hennigan, has been appointed interim general manager. Once the Magic look to fill the position with a permanent hire, they'll consider Lloyd as a candidate.

Magic fire GM Rob Hennigan
http://www.thescore.com/news/1279531
(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

HandsOnTheWheel
04-13-2017, 11:01 AM
About time.

mrblisterdundee
04-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Now if only they could somehow figure out how to get rid of that prick Richard DeVos or just leave Orlando. Come on, Seattle Magic!

STRIKERC
04-13-2017, 11:09 AM
They need a proper rebuild. A complete tear down and rebuild.
Call Sam Hinkie, Orlando.

valade16
04-13-2017, 11:39 AM
They need a proper rebuild. A complete tear down and rebuild.
Call Sam Hinkie, Orlando.

I agree with you, however they already did a proper rebuild. After they traded Dwight they dumped Redick, Jameer Nelson, Glen Davis and every other vet and started sucking and stockpiling picks.

Being super bad doesn't always guarantee you become super good. Orlando simply hemorrhaged young talent without realizing they could contribute. They traded/released/let walk Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Mo Harkless, Dewayne Dedmon and Ish Smith.

Their GM simply didn't recognize who can contribute in the NBA. Good firing.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-13-2017, 12:39 PM
I suppose the whiteboard is washed clean now. Bummer. Was hoping Magic take on Teletovic.

kobe4thewinbang
04-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Magic have young talent. The Ibaka/Oladipo trade made no sense, and Biyombo doesn't really fit in there. Shot worse. Should be an interesting summer. He also had significantly less blocks (91 compared to 133 last season), which is like his main skill. They need to hire a GM with a a real vision that is going to start work immediately because Vogel is a good coach.

ManRam
04-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Some weird trades later on in his career that I don't actually really think would have mattered much had he not done them, but ultimately I really have a hard time lumping too much blame on him. The Dwight trade was fine, and ultimately we just had really bad draft luck.

2013: 2nd overall pick in a horrible draft to have a top-10 pick. Maybe you can fault him for not taking Giannis, but that seems unfair to me considering how much later he went. Oladipo looks to be just about as average of a player as it gets, not a foundation-building star that you need from the 2nd overall pick year-one into a rebuild.

2014: had the 4th overall pick in a 3-man draft (even those top-3 teams can't at all be thrilled). Gordon was a good pick, maybe even the right pick, but not a good-enough pick. But that's not Rob's fault...that's solely a byproduct of picking 4th.

2015: 5th pick in a draft where the star went 1st and the high upside/slight risk guy, who paid off, went right before them. Hezonja is a bust as far as I'm concerned...I wouldn't be stunned if he was out of the league in a few years...but would his job be saved had he took WCS, Mudiay, Stanley, Frank, Winslow? No. Not at all.

2016: Might have been nice to have Sabonis or someone in that range, but whatever. Again, that's not saving his job and even as much as I dislike Elfrid, that trade wasn't brutal.

If you're blowing things up after trading your star (a trade he "won") you're hoping to win in the draft. Even had he made the perfect (and realistic) picks with those 2nd, 4th and 5th overall picks, this team still sucks. It just never was meant to be.

You can question his coaching hires, but we've had 4 coaches over his time and none of them got it done. Vaughn might have been a bad hire, but who knows? Borrego, Skiles and Vogel didn't do any better. Maybe they all were bad hires? I don't know. Frankly, I don't think it mattered.

The Tobias and Oladipo trades were weird, but I don't think they really held this team's development back too much. Both are very good role players, and nothing more. This team lacks a star...and that's why he's gone, but I really have a hard time figuring out where that star could've come from.

That's all. Horrible season. Horrible 5 year stretch (even those last two Dwight years were tough). I watched almost no Magic basketball this year but hey, I was happy with what I was doing instead. I'll be back next year, but as always I'll be pessimistic as all hell. Firing Rob ain't changing that.

5ass
04-13-2017, 02:52 PM
He had the assets to get another pick to draft Giannis or Gobert, and unlike most GMs he was rebuilding and in position to make these sort of moves. He chose guys like Fournier and Harris instead. He could've and should've drafted Turner or Booker in 2015. Even better if he traded down. He rejected a Demarcus Cousins trade. So he still could've saved his job before the trade deadline IMO if he could've netted Cousins and Bledsoe while keeping AG.

Quinnsanity
04-13-2017, 03:12 PM
The Ibaka trade is what happens when you don't fire someone quickly enough. If you let someone hang around for awhile and actively start to worry about their job security they're going to make panic trades like that to try to get from the bottom to the middle, instead of thinking long term which is what gets you from the bottom to the top. Hennigan was a bad evaluator of talent. We knew that from the start. This should've happened a year ago.

ManRam
04-13-2017, 03:49 PM
The Ibaka trade is what happens when you don't fire someone quickly enough. If you let someone hang around for awhile and actively start to worry about their job security they're going to make panic trades like that to try to get from the bottom to the middle, instead of thinking long term which is what gets you from the bottom to the top. Hennigan was a bad evaluator of talent. We knew that from the start. This should've happened a year ago.

I will say that there's a big caveat with anything related to any transaction the Magic make and that's Alex Martins, the team president. By many accounts he calls a lot of shots and there's often some disagreement between he and Hennigan.

This past off-season is the weird one. It was an obvious attempt to improve and make a run at the playoffs, but where that pressure and desperation came from isn't something I'm certain of. Rob's lack of job security might have fueled it, it could have been an Alex Martins move...it could have even been ownership. We know in the past that they've gotten antsy and have demanded moves with only the short term in sight.

He had the assets to get another pick to draft Giannis or Gobert, and unlike most GMs he was rebuilding and in position to make these sort of moves. He chose guys like Fournier and Harris instead. He could've and should've drafted Turner or Booker in 2015. Even better if he traded down. He rejected a Demarcus Cousins trade. So he still could've saved his job before the trade deadline IMO if he could've netted Cousins and Bledsoe while keeping AG.

Again, I don't feel comfortable ripping a guy for not having the clairvoyance to know that Giannis would have top-3 player in the NBA upside and not trading some of his assets to get him. That seems like really, really, really unfair standard. 13 other teams passed on him too, and almost every team in the league has the assets to pry away a 14th or 15th overall pick from a team if they were so certain of Giannis' sure stardom. Yes, he could have drafted Turner or Booker, but find me one single person in the world at the time that was calling for the Magic to draft either. I just think you just have to be a bit more pragmatic here. You're holding him to absurd standards when I think the biggest issue here, like I ranted about before, is just the simple fact that we had high picks in bad drafts to have the exact picks that we did have. It's just bad ****ing luck. I'm not sure any GM in his position has this team contending. Maybe we're closer to .500 or something, but it was just the wrong years to have picks 2, 4 and 5 overall. And we had bad lottery luck.

And why are we saying that him getting Fournier was a bad thing? That was an amazing trade.

I don't want to come off as an apologist because there's no reason to be one, but I just really struggle to pin everything on him here.