PDA

View Full Version : WC Quarterfinals Series Thread: Spurs (2) vs Grizzlies (7) Spurs win 4-2

kdspurman
04-12-2017, 05:27 PM
http://static.nbastore.hk/images/homepage/west.png?version=000000

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/6/231/thumbs/793.gif VS. http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/6/233/thumbs/827.gif

All games in EST

Game 1 - Saturday, April 15, Memphis at San Antonio, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN

Game 2 - Monday, April 17, Memphis at San Antonio 9:30 p.m. ET, TNT

Game 3 - Thursday, April 20, San Antonio at Memphis 9:30 p.m. ET, TNT

Game 4 - Saturday, April 22, San Antonio at Memphis 8 p.m. ET, ESPN

Game 5 * Tuesday, April 25, Memphis at San Antonio, TBD

Game 6 * Thursday, April 27, San Antonio at Memphis, TBD

Game 7 * Saturday, April 29, Memphis at San Antonio, TBD, TNT

* If Necessary

Projected Starting Lineups:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/6/231/thumbs/h1ecbaebseo6wcea3bpaeuh6b.gif

C: Marc Gasol
PF: JaMychal Green
SF: Vince Carter
SG: Tony Allen
PG: Mike Conley

Projected Starting Lineups:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/6/233/thumbs/kkzhh1h70h284ov5yfshmxnwk.gif

C: Dewayne Dedmon
PF: Lamarcus Aldridge
SF: Kawhi Leonard
SG: Danny Green
PG: Tony Parker

Fedex Forum, Memphis

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/resources/media/hp/MEMPBHX/en_US/img/shared/full_page_image_gallery/main/hx_fedexforum_17_425x303_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Ce nter.jpg

AT&T Center, San Antonio

http://i64.tinypic.com/2cen7tz.jpg

Scoots
04-12-2017, 07:14 PM
This is going to be a grind. I hope whichever team comes out comes out healthy.

I've got to pick the Spurs, just because I don't think the Grizz can get up to their best game 4 times in 7 games, and they need their best game to beat the Spurs on an average Spurs night ... and the Spurs are the most consistent team in the NBA and consistently above average.

valade16
04-12-2017, 10:47 PM
I don't know if I'd take the Grizzlies with prime Vince Carter over the Spurs.

It seems like we see this series every year, how many times in the past 5-10 years have they faced in the playoffs?

kobe4thewinbang
04-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Hard to not pick the Spurs. But if the Grizzlies were to upset Kawhi & co, it would be memorable for sure.
It probably goes at least 5 games. Seems Spurs still haven't found the right coherence for Kawhi & Aldridge.

dhopisthename
04-13-2017, 12:23 AM
there could be some close games, but I think the spurs win this in 5. should be noted though that the Grizzlies had two decisive wins over the spurs this year.

kdspurman
04-13-2017, 12:51 AM
there could be some close games, but I think the spurs win this in 5. should be noted though that the Grizzlies had two decisive wins over the spurs this year.

The first win was without Kawhi playing, that was their biggest win vs the Spurs this season. They do usually end up being hard fought games. I remember sweeping them in 2013, but all the games were very close. Idk what to expect this go around

dhopisthename
04-13-2017, 12:57 AM
The first win was without Kawhi playing, that was their biggest win vs the Spurs this season. They do usually end up being hard fought games. I remember sweeping them in 2013, but all the games were very close. Idk what to expect this go around

yeah I saw and that is why I don't think regular season games mean that much. The Grizzlies just weren't that good this year.

europagnpilgrim
04-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Spurs in 5 max, Grizzlies will play hard but I just don't think they have enough unless Conley/Gasol play lights out every game which is unlikely and having to depend on the old man Carter doesn't make it any easier, this will probably end up being a throwback 90's type series with games of 92-89

Spurs have struggled at home for unknown reasons so those will probably be the closest games(first 2) until game 5 where they win by 15 in Spurs usual fashion

FlashBolt
04-13-2017, 02:56 AM
ratings will be... low

Vee-Rex
04-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Spurs in 5.

WaDe03
04-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Tony Allen is out for the series with a calf strain it looks like. Huge blow for the Grizzlies when it comes to defending Kawhi.

kdspurman
04-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Tony Allen is out for the series with a calf strain it looks like. Huge blow for the Grizzlies when it comes to defending Kawhi.

Yea just saw that too. Sucks for him and their team. he's still such a big part of their defensive identity

Quinnsanity
04-13-2017, 06:08 PM
I am so ****ing ready for playoff Tony Allen. I know the Spurs are going to win the series, I'll say in five, but I am like 90% sure the Grizz take one of the first two with Allen holding Kawhi to something like 28% from the field and a bunch of ridiculous hot takers will claim that it's proof that Kawhi isn't that good of a scorer. I ****ing love playoff Tony Allen.

Quinnsanity
04-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Wait seriously? **** there goes my last post.

Scoots
04-13-2017, 07:00 PM
ratings will be... low

Well, the Rockets/Thunder game earlier this year set the record for lowest ratings ever. I wouldn't be surprised if the playoff record gets set this year too.

TylerSL
04-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Love Fizdale and the games will be close, but the Spurs take this series in 5 games. Kawhi will be great.

FlashBolt
04-13-2017, 11:22 PM
Well, the Rockets/Thunder game earlier this year set the record for lowest ratings ever. I wouldn't be surprised if the playoff record gets set this year too.

Idk. the MVP debate has made this series a Harden vs Westbrook matchup. It's one of the more interesting storylines.

Blitzbolt
04-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Grizz fan here and I also see the Spurs in 5 .....while the Spurs don't scared us the Grizz are old ,slow and injured.

Spurs number 1 goal should be to stay healthy the Grizz lead the NBA in fouls and are super physical if the Grizz find a way to take this to 6 or 7 it could cost the Spurs later on the playoffs.

Scoots
04-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Idk. the MVP debate has made this series a Harden vs Westbrook matchup. It's one of the more interesting storylines.

Maybe, but that record setting game was a preview of the MVP matchup ... I was surprised that game of all games set the record ... but it did set the record. People's attention is more fragmented than ever before.

lol, please
04-15-2017, 03:56 AM
ratings will be... low

:laugh2:

ewing
04-15-2017, 11:05 AM
ratings will be... low

yeah i'll actually watch this one

lol, please
04-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Grizzlies making a statement early.

kdspurman
04-15-2017, 09:29 PM
Yaa i'm gonna assume M Gasol doesn't keep up that kind of offensive production

FlashBolt
04-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Can't help but notice that the Grizzlies have Marc and Conley - two players who are holy grails for the spurs.

kdspurman
04-15-2017, 09:59 PM
That system player in SA is having himself quite a game

Scoots
04-15-2017, 10:34 PM
That system player in SA is having himself quite a game

Isn't every player a system player?

kdspurman
04-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Isn't every player a system player?

Interesting question , but idk. I guess 1 could make that argument.

kdspurman
04-15-2017, 10:44 PM
I really hope this is a quick series though. I'm glad TP and Aldridge looked good out there. When those guys are on ,it changes everything

ewing
04-16-2017, 12:41 AM
I really hope this is a quick series though. I'm glad TP and Aldridge looked good out there. When those guys are on ,it changes everything

TP looked fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, please
04-16-2017, 03:11 AM
Interesting question , but idk. I guess 1 could make that argument.

The answer is no.

A "system player" is one who can only thrive in a particular system(s), as opposed to a player that can be a difference maker on any team (Durant, AD, Cousins, Curry, LA)

Saddletramp
04-16-2017, 04:10 AM
The answer is no.

A "system player" is one who can only thrive in a particular system(s), as opposed to a player that can be a difference maker on any team (Durant, AD, Cousins, Curry, LA)

Agree, but it's funny that you excluded the biggest name from the last 20 years and put in Cousins and LA.

Also, it's funny. Curry was good but not MVP good until Kerr implemented his system. Kerr comes along and the greatest shooter of all time is unearthed.

ewing
04-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Agree, but it's funny that you excluded the biggest name from the last 20 years and put in Cousins and LA.

Also, it's funny. Curry was good but not MVP good until Kerr implemented his system. Kerr comes along and the greatest shooter of all time is unearthed.

Curry is a system player. He is a slightly better shooter then Lillard and Irving but not as good a one on one player as either. Like Irving he is a PG that has a point forward to takes the play making load off of him. Out if the 3 I'd say Lillard is the best player and would have the biggest impact if he was in GS. Curry is an all-star anywhere but no near as good as many think.

Scoots
04-16-2017, 12:18 PM
A good coach uses the players on the team to their maximum. It's as true for LeBron as it is for the others. If LeBron was forced to replace Karl Malone in the 90s Jazz he wouldn't be as good. LeBron plays in a very LeBron centered system. When Bosh and Love went from Bosh/Love centered systems to a LeBron system they struggled.

Any team with Wilt on team will work hard to get the ball in to the post. Any team that has any kind of decent coaching, that is.

If "System player" just means any player that is not a great all-around player then there has never been a non-system player.

KnicksorBust
04-17-2017, 10:17 AM
Curry a system player? :eek:

KnicksorBust
04-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Love Gasol and Conley but Spurs are more balanced, deeper and have the best player. The amount of times that team loses is rare. Spurs coast to round 2.

ewing
04-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Curry a system player? :eek:

just balancing the scales ;)

FlashBolt
04-17-2017, 03:11 PM
A good coach uses the players on the team to their maximum. It's as true for LeBron as it is for the others. If LeBron was forced to replace Karl Malone in the 90s Jazz he wouldn't be as good. LeBron plays in a very LeBron centered system. When Bosh and Love went from Bosh/Love centered systems to a LeBron system they struggled.

Any team with Wilt on team will work hard to get the ball in to the post. Any team that has any kind of decent coaching, that is.

If "System player" just means any player that is not a great all-around player then there has never been a non-system player.

I disagree with the Bosh/Love example. They're struggling because they had a perceived "great player" name attached to their production rather than result. It seems that people confuse how good a player is by how good they were when they were putting up big numbers but losing and then when performance drops, we try to attach it to a certain system. It's entirely possible that we just overestimated their capacity to play winning basketball. And it's not a coincidence that playing with LeBron ensures that you are going to be competing for a championship. That can't be said of Love+Bosh and it's not to discredit them. They are both very good players but there's something to be said of how good are they when they go up against the best of the best in the playoffs? We've seen them both underperform,

Pittz
04-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Rooting for the Grizzlies in the first half, Spurs in the second :)

kdspurman
04-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Ahhhh.. we're stuck with Reggie Miller tonight smh

FOXHOUND
04-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Right on.

FOXHOUND
04-17-2017, 10:14 PM
What if the Knicks and Spurs swapped Melo and Kawhi? You know... just to see what would happen? :D

mightybosstone
04-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Barring a miracle in this series (and it would have to be a pretty significant one), the Grizzlies season is over. I would normally say that a team in their situation should take a very serious look over the summer into blowing it up. But with all the money they have invested long-term in Gasol, Conley and Parsons, I don't think that's an option.

It's unfortunate, too, because this team has so much potential. If you replace Parsons' albatross of a contract with someone like George, Hayward or Butler, that Memphis team has 60-win potential. But instead they signed a mediocre No. 3 guy with atrocious knees to one of the worst contracts in all of professional sports over the last decade.

FOXHOUND
04-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Barring a miracle in this series (and it would have to be a pretty significant one), the Grizzlies season is over. I would normally say that a team in their situation should take a very serious look over the summer into blowing it up. But with all the money they have invested long-term in Gasol, Conley and Parsons, I don't think that's an option.

It's unfortunate, too, because this team has so much potential. If you replace Parsons' albatross of a contract with someone like George, Hayward or Butler, that Memphis team has 60-win potential. But instead they signed a mediocre No. 3 guy with atrocious knees to one of the worst contracts in all of professional sports over the last decade.

What's sad is there's nothing they can even do going forward. Even if they renounced the rights to Zach Randolph, Tony Allen and Vince Carter, with their 4th highest contract being just $6M, they still wouldn't even have $10M of cap space. So what do they do? Resign 35-year old Randolph, 35-year old Allen and 40-year VC? :(

kdspurman
04-17-2017, 10:34 PM
What if the Knicks and Spurs swapped Melo and Kawhi? You know... just to see what would happen? :D

I would not enjoy that swap. Lol

FOXHOUND
04-17-2017, 10:43 PM
I would not enjoy that swap. Lol

Come oooon. Let's see what Pop can really do. lmao

mightybosstone
04-17-2017, 10:54 PM
What's sad is there's nothing they can even do going forward. Even if they renounced the rights to Zach Randolph, Tony Allen and Vince Carter, with their 4th highest contract being just $6M, they still wouldn't even have $10M of cap space. So what do they do? Resign 35-year old Randolph, 35-year old Allen and 40-year VC? :(

I'll never understand why the Grizzlies would offer him that contract. I can understand gambling on a guy because you need offense and your window is closing for your star veterans. But Parsons was coming off a 14/5/3 season in which he could barely stay healthy and couldn't crack 30 minutes a night for a borderline playoff team. In what universe does a player with level of production and history of injuries deserve $24 million a year over 4 years?

His contract is so bad, it makes Noah's contract look like a bargain.

kdspurman
04-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Kawhi had himself an efficient night

KnickNyKnick
04-18-2017, 12:32 AM
nice post game by memphis

KnicksorBust
04-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Zbo/VC/Wright/2019 1st round for Carmelo Anthony

Why for Grizz: Conley/TA/Parsons/Melo/Gasol is good if everyone is healthy. Melo gives them scoring they desperately need and gets to play his best position PF.

Why for Knicks: Expirings and a future 1st for a player that "would be better off elsewhere"

Blitzbolt
04-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Grizz have 0 chance of winning this with no Tony Allen.

Also

I truly don't mind Kawi getting so many FTs the dude is a superstar and he deserves every single one.

But what the refs are doing to Mike Conley is just sad the dude trying to carry the team yet he gets nothing like at all I think he has 8 total FTs in 2 games the lack of respect for such a solid player is out of hand.

He has 758 games without a tech (never had one)everyone talks about Kawi being a class act but Mike Conley is a class act too.

At the very least protect him so he doesn't get injured I don't think his face can take another hit.

kdspurman
04-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Grizz have 0 chance of winning this with no Tony Allen.

Also

I truly don't mind Kawi getting so many FTs the dude is a superstar and he deserves every single one.

But what the refs are doing to Mike Conley is just sad the dude trying to carry the team yet he gets nothing like at all I think he has 8 total FTs in 2 games the lack of respect for such a solid player is out of hand.

He has 758 games without a tech (never had one)everyone talks about Kawi being a class act but Mike Conley is a class act too.

At the very least protect him so he doesn't get injured I don't think his face can take another hit.

there were a few plays Conley got the short end of the stick for sure.

Fizdale's argument was silly talking about Kawhi getting so many FT's and Conley doesn't cause he has 0 techs and is respectful/classy. Kawhi as you mentioned is the same way, he's not like other guys out there whining for calls all the time.

There have been some breakdowns of the game, and there were some missed calls that Memphis didn't get. It wasn't nearly as bad as Fiz made it out to be, but I get it, he's in a position where he's trying to swing things a bit and get his team fired up.

I love Conley though, dude needs more respect.

Blitzbolt
04-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Fizdale's argument was silly talking about Kawhi getting so many FT's and Conley doesn't cause he has 0 techs and is respectful/classy. Kawhi as you mentioned is the same way, he's not like other guys out there whining for calls all the time.

There have been some breakdowns of the game, and there were some missed calls that Memphis didn't get. It wasn't nearly as bad as Fiz made it out to be, but I get it, he's in a position where he's trying to swing things a bit and get his team fired up.

Again This series is over so who cares what fizz is trying to do and I also don't care about Kawi ZBO ect....

I think the NBA is crossing a line with Conley putting him at risk of a serious injury it's very cringe worthy thing to watch as a fan I just have no idea how he keeps his emotions in check after so no calls.

This is not a spurs thing the frustration of Mike Conley getting no respect this season finally got to fizz.

KnicksorBust
04-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Again This series is over so who cares what fizz is trying to do and I also don't care about Kawi ZBO ect....

I think the NBA is crossing a line with Conley putting him at risk of a serious injury it's very cringe worthy thing to watch as a fan I just have no idea how he keeps his emotions in check after so no calls.

This is not a spurs thing the frustration of Mike Conley getting no respect this season finally got to fizz.

How would you feel about dumping your expirings + a future 1st for Melo?

Blitzbolt
04-18-2017, 02:36 PM
How would you feel about dumping your expirings + a future 1st for Melo?
With Parsons contract we can do $$$t for 3 years so check back with me then.

KnicksorBust
04-18-2017, 02:51 PM
With Parsons contract we can do $$$t for 3 years so check back with me then.

haha it's okay. I think I'm just trying to convince myself there is a market for him. I want him out of NY so bad.

eDush
04-21-2017, 12:18 AM
Did the Spurs didn't show up or is Memphis able to contain them at home with their grit and grind defense. They probably wish they were facing the Blazers instead :nod:

zn23
04-21-2017, 12:42 AM
Mike Conley > Kyle Lowry

Scoots
04-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Awful quiet in here. The only team with bigs to punish the Spurs is the Grizz ... but the Spurs looked more disjointed on offense than I've seen in 2 years.

kdspurman
04-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Awful quiet in here. The only team with bigs to punish the Spurs is the Grizz ... but the Spurs looked more disjointed on offense than I've seen in 2 years.

It's such a new team/system they're playing, I'm not surprised. They've been up/down a bit all season on that end.

Man... I do miss the Duncan/Splitter lineup. They absolutely owned the Grizz bigs, and it's why they've swept them the last few times.

That said, I expect them to bounce back tomorrow. Memphis played such a good clean game, shooting higher than normal from the field, & only 5 TO's, (and a few came in garbage time), I'm not sure if they'll be able to do that 2x in a row. If they do I'd honestly be shocked. They played great last night

Blitzbolt
04-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Tony Parker kill us in games one and two but in this last one he was awful.

Is this a fluke for him or was game 2 the fluke ??.(TP) Also is Manu done ?? Or is it just our defense.?

Question for kd.

kdspurman
04-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Tony Parker kill us in games one and two but in this last one he was awful.

Is this a fluke for him or was game 2 the fluke ??.(TP) Also is Manu done ?? Or is it just our defense.?

Question for kd.

Manu statistically has struggled against you guys this season. He was decent all season for the most part, but vs you guys he hasnt been as sharp. So i don't know if he's done based off this, gotta see how he responds.

TP on the other hand has done well against Memphis for the most part. He just had a crappy game. He got good looks but couldn't hit anything.

Curious to see how Pop adjusts to Zbo starting now, and trapping Kawhi. Your guys definitely played with more of a purpose and showed more of that grit and grind.

Scoots
04-21-2017, 11:22 PM
It's such a new team/system they're playing, I'm not surprised. They've been up/down a bit all season on that end.

Man... I do miss the Duncan/Splitter lineup. They absolutely owned the Grizz bigs, and it's why they've swept them the last few times.

That said, I expect them to bounce back tomorrow. Memphis played such a good clean game, shooting higher than normal from the field, & only 5 TO's, (and a few came in garbage time), I'm not sure if they'll be able to do that 2x in a row. If they do I'd honestly be shocked. They played great last night

I wonder if Splitter will be back next year to work with LA?

It seemed like Memphis got in the Spurs way and just got them out of balance and they never got it back.

Spurs local coverage is WAY better than a lot of the other local coverage I've seen. It's a pleasure to watch.

Blitzbolt
04-22-2017, 08:33 AM
For game 4 Pop should just put Kawi on Conley and play David Lee less I thing that should do it.

For the Grizz they need the scrubs to play well at home Shelton, green and Ennis.

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 12:24 PM
As great as Kawhi has been in this series, he could or should have done more in game 3. Any reason he didn't take more shots? Didn't seem as aggressive.

kdspurman
04-22-2017, 01:04 PM
As great as Kawhi has been in this series, he could or should have done more in game 3. Any reason he didn't take more shots? Didn't seem as aggressive.

He had 16 in the first half. 2nd half memphis adjusted started trapping, and frankly the team looked flat. Pop pulled the plug pretty early, which hes known to do sometimes

kdspurman
04-22-2017, 02:09 PM
I wonder if Splitter will be back next year to work with LA?

It seemed like Memphis got in the Spurs way and just got them out of balance and they never got it back.

Spurs local coverage is WAY better than a lot of the other local coverage I've seen. It's a pleasure to watch.

Doubt it re: Splitter. He was valuable at times, just cant stay healthy.

And yea i enjoy the coverage. I tried to find coverage for other teams, but some are definitely lacking in that department.

lol, please
04-22-2017, 08:44 PM
What a game.

Not the most exciting series on paper, but what a game. Two veteran contenders battling it out. It's LOUD IN MEMPHIS!!!

:faint:

lol, please
04-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Harrison for the lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

lol, please
04-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Carter!!!

Then Conley!!11

:faint:

4 point play!!!!

Blitzbolt
04-22-2017, 09:19 PM
Have to find a way to score when Conley sits the plus minus for him is ridicules.

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Lol , please wants the Spurs to lose so bad so Warriors can play Grizzlies.. lol...

Scoots
04-22-2017, 09:47 PM
The Spurs have had the bad Danny Green for 3 of 4 games this series. When he's really on he can make a huge difference to the Spurs and he should be dominating his matchups with the Griz.

lol, please
04-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Lol , please wants the Spurs to lose so bad so Warriors can play Grizzlies.. lol...

lol, nah. I don't really care who wins, I am just enjoying great basketball.

Scoots
04-22-2017, 09:58 PM

The Grizzlies give the Warriors problems too. Skilled size and quick defensive minded guards cause the Warriors issues.

But yeah ... the Spurs are more scary ... and it could be the Rockets or Thunder instead of either.

kdspurman
04-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Spurs are getting beat at the 3 point line. Thats the difference..

Open 3s for Green/Manu/Patty just missed. Much better effort, but the shooting has been so bad.

poleandreel
04-22-2017, 10:25 PM
kawhi

Scoots
04-22-2017, 10:26 PM
Who has the better closers?

kdspurman
04-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Score keeper screwed us. Thats bs

kdspurman
04-22-2017, 10:35 PM
Kawhi is unreal. My god

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 10:39 PM
Kawhi is amazing. I want Spurs to win but so they can play the Warriors but this has surprisingly been a very fun series.

Scoots
04-22-2017, 10:40 PM
This is a hell of a game.

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Conley is like the perfect player. Which team can't he play for? Imagine Kawhi+Marc Gasol+Conley. Aldridge has been a bummer. Any chance Spurs try to trade him?

ewing
04-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Spurs have gone one man team

ewing
04-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Who has the better closers?

Spurs only have one

ewing
04-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Asked too much

ewing
04-22-2017, 10:55 PM
Kl is beast

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 10:56 PM
whats the record for most fts made without a miss in the playoffs? kawhi has made 40/40.

ewing
04-22-2017, 10:57 PM
What a beast

Scoots
04-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Conley is like the perfect player. Which team can't he play for? Imagine Kawhi+Marc Gasol+Conley. Aldridge has been a bummer. Any chance Spurs try to trade him?

LA is a good guy, but I think he's been overrated for most of his career.

Scoots
04-22-2017, 10:59 PM
This game is the sort my wife complains about. "Why can't it just be over?"

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Small forward

LeBron
Durant
Kawhi
Paul George
Jimmy Butler

omg kawhi wtf!

Scoots
04-22-2017, 11:01 PM
The Spurs official twitter: "ds,f dsjkfdsj;" :D

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 11:01 PM
best game of the playoffs thus far. What a game.

Scoots
04-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Kawhi doesn't get triple doubles ... he can't be MVP

ewing
04-22-2017, 11:03 PM
Wow I feel bad for KL. What a beast

Scoots
Oh no! Is the game going to end?

FlashBolt
kawhi deserved that win. how clutch was this guy?

Scoots
That was a hell of a game!

(I didn't know PSD didn't allow all caps posts :( )

zn23
04-22-2017, 11:04 PM
Mike Conley is making a very loud statement...

Scoots
04-22-2017, 11:07 PM
There are going to be some very sore old guys tomorrow.

kdspurman
04-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Freaking Gasol hitting that. Conley and Kawhi were terrific. Kawhi tho... just amazing, he has to do so much for this team.

Exciting game... heres hoping we take the next 2. Our shooters suuucked tonight

Blitzbolt
04-22-2017, 11:09 PM
Grit and grind!!!

Toxeryll
04-22-2017, 11:13 PM
The best game of 2017 playoffs for me thus far

FlashBolt
04-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Freaking Gasol hitting that. Conley and Kawhi were terrific. Kawhi tho... just amazing, he has to do so much for this team.

Exciting game... heres hoping we take the next 2. Our shooters suuucked tonight

Both teams were just clutch as hell. No one missed but Grizz just had the last shot. It's a must win for Spurs next game. Can't go down 2-3 heading to the grinder.

eDush
04-22-2017, 11:18 PM
It's grit and grind time!:cheer:

Blitzbolt
04-22-2017, 11:20 PM
The decision to sit Conley in the 4th almost cost us this one.

Pop did the right thing giving Kawi no rest in the 4th but it totally hurt him in OT.

eDush
04-22-2017, 11:24 PM
The decision to sit Conley in the 4th almost cost us this one.

Pop did the right thing giving Kawi no rest in the 4th but it totally hurt him in OT.He does need a breather at the time as all players threshold is different or he would be running on fumes. Grit and grinding require great effort my friend :nod:

KnickNyKnick
04-23-2017, 12:33 AM
another crazy series so far by these 2. there is rivalry here.

kobe4thewinbang
04-23-2017, 12:40 AM
Anyone think Grizzlies might pull the upset? Spurs have lost to teams before in round one. Like the Clippers.
I don't think anyone here predicted or thought this would go 2-2.

Blitzbolt
04-23-2017, 01:59 AM
Spurs have a legit super star but the others are weak half the roster is either way past their prime or just young.

Guys like timmy splitters and Diaw really made a impact in the past especially defensively but they're not getting anything like that from Pau LA or Lee.

It's safe to say both of this teams won't win a ring this season.

goingfor28
04-23-2017, 02:01 AM
After 2 games I thought this would be a sweep. Now I can't wait to watch games 5, 6 and hopefully 7

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eDush
04-23-2017, 02:18 AM
Anyone think Grizzlies might pull the upset? Spurs have lost to teams before in round one. Like the Clippers.
I don't think anyone here predicted or thought this would go 2-2.I can only assume they thought the Clippers were overrated just like many fans has but they are still one of the most feared teams in the playoffs since we lost to them as well :(

Saddletramp
04-23-2017, 02:23 AM
This was one series I didn't care to watch. But after that fourth and OT, I'll be watching for sure.

Kawhi Leonard, goddamn.

ewing
04-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Both teams were just clutch as hell. No one missed but Grizz just had the last shot. It's a must win for Spurs next game. Can't go down 2-3 heading to the grinder.

Patty Mills missed.

flea
04-23-2017, 06:46 PM
For the first time in a while I'm way more interested in NHL playoffs (a sport I don't even follow) and MLB during the NBA playoffs. However I've made sure to catch 2 games in this series because I'm fascinated by Kawhi's ascent as a scorer. Griz played really tough last night and earned that win but I think Kawhi is going to be a problem for both contenders (Cavs/Warriors).

He's a Kobe/MJ level scorer, he's just not there as a playmaker yet that they were and he's not close to as good as MJ was as a slasher and likely will never be because he's not that level of athlete. He's kind of streaky like Kobe was with the jumper but both of them could find other ways to score. I don't think anyone on the Warriors can stop him because he's too quick and perimeter-oriented for Draymond and too strong for Klay. I know Lebron would prefer to be checked by Durant in the Finals but I think he'd almost rather guard Durant than Leonard these days due to Durant's finesse style being easier on the fatigue levels. (Not saying Leonard is a better scorer than Durant obviously yet but it's getting a lot close).

He did disappear some but I think it's because both he and Aldridge are at their best as ISO scorers. Griz IMO are the toughest out of any of the bottom 4 seeds so it doesn't surprise me this will be at least 6.

Tg11
04-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Spurs are winning this series plain and simple I see this going to 7 games

mngopher35
04-24-2017, 03:02 AM
Kawhi was so good, memphis making SA grind

Scoots
04-24-2017, 09:24 AM
I don't think anyone here predicted or thought this would go 2-2.

There is a poll here and it has 2 people predicting 2 wins for the Griz :) (not me)

KnicksorBust
04-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Had Spurs in 4. Whoops. :laugh: I still don't buy an upset here but nice job by Memphis. Love Conley/Gasol. Two guys that play the right way.

Vee-Rex
04-24-2017, 01:16 PM
I had Spurs in 5 but I thought it was the most likely to be a sweep. SMH, Grizzlies are always underestimated and always end up showing that they're better than believed.

KnicksorBust
04-24-2017, 02:20 PM
I had Spurs in 5 but I thought it was the most likely to be a sweep. SMH, Grizzlies are always underestimated and always end up showing that they're better than believed.

Grizz need Melo :)

kdspurman
04-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Memphis, is probably like our new Dallas, in that no matter how previous series went, it'll always be a grind when they meet. Obviously not the same all around, but just in that regard.

Spurs 3 point shooters are the difference at this point from this being 3-1 vs what it is now. Kawhi was fantastic obviously, but 9-30 from 3 while the Grizz were 12-27 ain't gonna cut it.

KnicksorBust
04-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Memphis, is probably like our new Dallas, in that no matter how previous series went, it'll always be a grind when they meet. Obviously not the same all around, but just in that regard.

Spurs 3 point shooters are the difference at this point from this being 3-1 vs what it is now. Kawhi was fantastic obviously, but 9-30 from 3 while the Grizz were 12-27 ain't gonna cut it.

You worried at all?

kdspurman
04-24-2017, 02:44 PM
You worried at all?

I'm not.. I don't think we'll lose at home, because our guys have been shooting better at home vs the road. And despite only Kawhi and TP showing up last game, we were right there.

Pop may need to tinker a bit and add Bertans as a stretch at times to give Kawhi more space to operate, similarly to how he would use Bonner. We shall see

Blitzbolt
04-24-2017, 10:13 PM
I'm not.. I don't think we'll lose at home, because our guys have been shooting better at home vs the road. And despite only Kawhi and TP showing up last game, we were right there.

Pop may need to tinker a bit and add Bertans as a stretch at times to give Kawhi more space to operate, similarly to how he would use Bonner. We shall see
I don't see it that way we had 20 something turnovers and we still won even with Kawi and Parker showing up (pau on the boards as well)

The key for us is our scrubs (4 Dleaguers) the spurs pressure them on the road and they were awful in San Antonio.They need to find a way to help our big 3 and Vince just enough sadly the odds of that happening is very low.

Blitzbolt
04-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Also I see fans and the media bring up the 10 straight games but never talk how Conley ,allen, zbo and Marc miss 70% of those games.

During that 10 games we miss at least 2 of those at some point.

kdspurman
04-24-2017, 10:44 PM
I don't see it that way we had 20 something turnovers and we still won even with Kawi and Parker showing up (pau on the boards as well)

The key for us is our scrubs (4 Dleaguers) the spurs pressure them on the road and they were awful in San Antonio.They need to find a way to help our big 3 and Vince just enough sadly the odds of that happening is very low.

But you had 51 boards to our 37. Shot 44% from 3 to our 30%. We had 3 guys score in double figures, you had 5. You guys had much better overall play and contributions, which is expected due to role players playing better at home.

Spurs have too many guys who have been here to crap the bed like that. Manu/Green/Mills were a combined 4/21. You guys played a much better game overall. Kawhi's greatness made it interesting

ewing
04-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Spurs, it seems like your team has a tendency to destroy teams in victory but they are also beatable. Do you have an explanation?

kdspurman
04-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Spurs, it seems like your team has a tendency to destroy teams in victory but they are also beatable. Do you have an explanation?

When things are clicking for the team in general, they're tough to beat. When they aren't, they're beatable and rely on Kawhi's individual greatness. He's done it alone many times, but it's not always enough.

Blitzbolt
04-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Spurs are gonna try to K.O us early I think our big 3 and Vince will be able to handle it however I'm really worried about our bench.

FlashBolt
04-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Danny G and Manu need to provide something. They're looking like they should both retire at this point.

kdspurman
04-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Danny G and Manu need to provide something. They're looking like they should both retire at this point.

Yup. Danny has had an up and down shooting season. He needs to get going. Manu had a pretty good reg season shooting the ball too. Hes just way off. He'll get going.. Wonder if Pop will play Simmons/Bertans a bit more tho

FlashBolt
04-25-2017, 06:06 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-17-NBA-Adidas-Official-Team-Player-Current-Replica-Jersey-Collection-Mens-/222461619862?rmvSB=true

I bought a leonard jersey. Don't think he leaves Spurs any time soon so :D

mightybosstone
04-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Memphis out to a fast start in this one. The Spurs need to be playing with a sense of urgency. If they have to go back to Memphis, they may not have any games left to come back to when they come back home to San Antonio.

kdspurman
04-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Memphis out to a fast start in this one. The Spurs need to be playing with a sense of urgency. If they have to go back to Memphis, they may not have any games left to come back to when they come back home to San Antonio.

Game 1 started the same way. They started slow, picked it up as they went along. I'm much happier with them playing that way. They've been comfortable doing that all season. As stressful as it is as a fan, whatever works.

Blitzbolt
04-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Spurs shooting 54%.

mightybosstone
04-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Wow. Glad I switched over to catch this 4th quarter. These two teams are just trading shots back and forth. You've got to give it to Memphis--they do not go down easily.

mightybosstone
04-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Patty Mills is a legitimately terrifying bench weapon. If the Spurs end up winning this series, I do not look forward to the Rockets having to play against him. That dude is cold-blooded.

flea
04-26-2017, 12:17 AM
Patty Mills is a legitimately terrifying bench weapon. If the Spurs end up winning this series, I do not look forward to the Rockets having to play against him. That dude is cold-blooded.

Probably better to consider him a starter at this point, given what he needs to do for them to win. Parker is strictly a role player now and probably has been for a few seasons. I think you could argue he's the Spurs 3rd best player. Maybe Gasol.

Spurs really are more like the 1999 version than any other this year. They're vets that play together well, but they rely heavily on their young star and to a lesser degree their older star. More offense-oriented obviously but they shift guys around a lot and don't really have a legitimate 7 or 8 man rotation. Pop's never had to coach a team like that before - even in 13 and 14 he had a pretty tight 8 man rotation.

eDush
04-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Patty Mills is a legitimately terrifying bench weapon. If the Spurs end up winning this series, I do not look forward to the Rockets having to play against him. That dude is cold-blooded.I have praised his on court play on the Spurs along with his constant hustle many times and have indicated he could replace Livingston if he decides to leave for greener pastures. Others have disagree but they don't see what we do in Patty Mills which is a winner mentality :clap:

kdspurman
04-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Probably better to consider him a starter at this point, given what he needs to do for them to win. Parker is strictly a role player now and probably has been for a few seasons. I think you could argue he's the Spurs 3rd best player. Maybe Gasol.

Spurs really are more like the 1999 version than any other this year. They're vets that play together well, but they rely heavily on their young star and to a lesser degree their older star. More offense-oriented obviously but they shift guys around a lot and don't really have a legitimate 7 or 8 man rotation. Pop's never had to coach a team like that before - even in 13 and 14 he had a pretty tight 8 man rotation.

This is def a different situation than what Pop has been used to. Lots of new guys, and old guys, whom he's tried to incorporate. Continuity is not in their favor this season.. I actually likened this team to the 03 team, where it was Duncan and a mix of young/old guys, but Duncan carrying them throughout the season/playoffs, much like Kawhi has done thus far. Remains to be seen how far he can take them

Agreed on Patty, though he's had his ups and downs this season. They've lacked a consistent 3rd option, and sometimes even a 2nd option

lol, please
04-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Good game thus far.

kdspurman
04-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Fizdale's officials rant def had a lasting impact...

zn23
04-28-2017, 12:12 AM
This was Mike Conley's breakout series. He definitely played like the $30M man.

kdspurman
04-28-2017, 12:17 AM
Kawhi just took over this game, and TP had an amazing game and overall this series. If this is the TP we're getting in the playoffs, it changes so much for us.

zn23
04-28-2017, 12:18 AM
Parker was definitely clutch. Best game he's had in a while.

kobe4thewinbang
04-28-2017, 12:58 AM
Nice to see Parker show up. Must've took some of Manu's elixir. Ha!

Took a look at the bracket...seems very likely that we will finally see the Spurs and Warriors throw down. Last time, Warriors weren't quite ready. Then the seeding BS and a crazy Clippers effort robbed us of it. Then last year, OKC's athleticism stifled Tim Duncan's last showing. Sad stuff, but I think anyone here would take the Spurs over the Rockets and unless the Jazz shock us all (no doubt they're good, and I hope they beat LAC to finalize a rebuild there), the Warriors should be able to handle them.

So who else is excited? Grizzlies had me worried there...but I think we're finally gonna see SAS/GSW!!!

:clap: :up::dance::jumpy::win::hope::layup::knockout:

I say whoever wins that series wins the championship because Cavaliers' defense is going to inevitably get 'em. They can't compete with a healthy Warriors team that now has Durant dropping 30 at any moment when it took all they had to beat Warriors with a hobbled Curry. And if the Spurs edge the Warriors, I think once again that Kawhi will handle LeBron but I say the Cavaliers have more of a chance against the Spurs. But it still goes 6 games, and Spurs could easily take them out. With clutch Patty Mills (Heat defeat, remember?) and hopefully Aldridge being a force, the ascension of Klawhi Leonard, Gasol having finals experience...you never know. Plus Popovich > Lue any day.

lol, please
04-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Nice to see Parker show up. Must've took some of Manu's elixir. Ha!

Took a look at the bracket...seems very likely that we will finally see the Spurs and Warriors throw down. Last time, Warriors weren't quite ready. Then the seeding BS and a crazy Clippers effort robbed us of it. Then last year, OKC's athleticism stifled Tim Duncan's last showing. Sad stuff, but I think anyone here would take the Spurs over the Rockets and unless the Jazz shock us all (no doubt they're good, and I hope they beat LAC to finalize a rebuild there), the Warriors should be able to handle them.

So who else is excited? Grizzlies had me worried there...but I think we're finally gonna see SAS/GSW!!!

:clap: :up::dance::jumpy::win::hope::layup::knockout:

I say whoever wins that series wins the championship because Cavaliers' defense is going to inevitably get 'em. They can't compete with a healthy Warriors team that now has Durant dropping 30 at any moment when it took all they had to beat Warriors with a hobbled Curry. And if the Spurs edge the Warriors, I think once again that Kawhi will handle LeBron but I say the Cavaliers have more of a chance against the Spurs. But it still goes 6 games, and Spurs could easily take them out. With clutch Patty Mills (Heat defeat, remember?) and hopefully Aldridge being a force, the ascension of Klawhi Leonard, Gasol having finals experience...you never know. Plus Popovich > Lue any day.

Spurs need to get through the Rockets, and Cavaliers need to get through the Raptors.

kobe4thewinbang
04-28-2017, 02:18 AM
Spurs need to get through the Rockets, and Cavaliers need to get through the Raptors.That Rockets defense though...Spurs have just as much firepower and ball movement. Plus Kawhi and Green will make Harden's life hell.

Htownballa1622
04-28-2017, 08:50 AM
That Rockets defense though...Spurs have just as much firepower and ball movement. Plus Kawhi and Green will make Harden's life hell.

Meh, sort of.

Harden's averages this year against spurs.

29.8/11.8 apg on 46.9% shooting(29% 3pt)

Problem is 6.5 turnovers.

I wouldn't call it making it "Hell" but it definitely can be tough. I just can't wait to see Pau guarding ANY pick and roll with Harden coming at him.

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Meh, sort of.

I wouldn't call it making it "Hell" but it definitely can be tough. I just can't wait to see Pau guarding ANY pick and roll with Harden coming at him.

It's inevitable Pop is going to do everything he can to get the ball out of Harden's hands. Kawhi on Harden would make it really difficult. He's a damn smart defender so hopefully he can keep his hands away from Harden.

kdspurman
04-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Meh, sort of.

Dont think for a second Pop wont bench Pau if hes being exposed lol

kdspurman
04-28-2017, 02:13 PM
It's inevitable Pop is going to do everything he can to get the ball out of Harden's hands. Kawhi on Harden would make it really difficult. He's a damn smart defender so hopefully he can keep his hands away from Harden.

He might go to his old school Spurs/Suns days and let Harden get his and focus on keeping everyone else quiet. D'Antoni still probably has nightmares

FlashBolt
04-28-2017, 02:28 PM
He might go to his old school Spurs/Suns days and let Harden get his and focus on keeping everyone else quiet. D'Antoni still probably has nightmares

He did the same against Miami in just letting LeBron get his. Beverley is going to be someone to watch out for. He's underrated as playmaker.

Htownballa1622
04-28-2017, 04:23 PM

Maybe so. I just don't think our issues will be scoring. I think we need to not turn the ball over so much and defend better. Their role players feast on us. Mills and Green might be the deciding factors.

Dont think for a second Pop wont bench Pau if hes being exposed lol

oh, I believe it. Still, I'd like to see some pau in pnr. ;)

kobe4thewinbang
04-29-2017, 01:37 AM
Meh, sort of.

I wouldn't call it making it "Hell" but it definitely can be tough. I just can't wait to see Pau guarding ANY pick and roll with Harden coming at him.Playoffs are different, though. Spurs have proven their ability to neutralize a good player (e.g. Zack Randolph) in the past. Harden is still going to perform because he is a bad man but Green and Kawhi ain't falling for that signature step-back jumper. Curious to see what Popovich will try because everything basically runs through Harden. Anderson and Gordon not really guys that can get their own shot, Lou Williams can at times, but we'll see. Main thing I noted was the Rockets defense. Spurs going to eat them alive. (18th in league). And they barely beat OKC, who had really no shooters that were reliable. Those were some close games. I am excited though because Houston and San Antonio haven't faced off in a LONG time. Last time was 3-1 aka David Robinson vs. Olajuwon.

kobe4thewinbang
04-29-2017, 01:39 AM
He might go to his old school Spurs/Suns days and let Harden get his and focus on keeping everyone else quiet. D'Antoni still probably has nightmaresOh, yeah. Plus The Starters were talking about how the Spurs do not foul as much, so Harden isn't going to be shooting 20-something per game.