PDA

View Full Version : The point forward.

ewing
04-11-2017, 12:10 AM
It seems to be back in vogue. Of course Bron is great at it. Green has be great for Warriors. The "the freak" is looking to become a superstar doing it. and Ben Simmons has the hype. If the point forward going a "new" big trend?

Scoots
04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
The pace and space offense is the current trend, and part of that is having whoever gets the ball bring the ball up and initiate the offense. A bigger player initiating the offense from the high/low post area in a motion offense allows a lot of motion without requiring the motion to include the ball. The next trend will probably be a defense shaped to stop it and we'll see a different trend.

TheMightyHumph
04-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Rick Barry, Johnny Johnson, Paul Pressey, John Havlicek, JuliusErving, Billy Cunningham and Micheal Ray Richardson played Point Forward.

Hell, Magic Johnson played point PF for a season, and Bill Walton was pretty much Blazers point Center.

Mason Plumlee played point Center during his stint with Blazers.

Alvin Adams played point Center Also

Chronz
04-11-2017, 08:44 PM
TMAC

I remember arguing with this guy for years about that, dont know how many of you were here in the olden days but kobetmacyao was one of his monikers, dude went to every board/forum to argue this point.

Chronz
04-11-2017, 08:48 PM
I've asked it before, why dont they just play one of these Point-Forwards at the 1 and just have the tallest/best switch team ever?

I think D-Lee answered me last time, something about it being a waste of resources or taxing them too much but man, if you could pull it off. Its a shame Grant Hill got hurt, Doc was gonna run a Tmac-Mike Miller-Hill perimeter trio. Had that team kept Ben Wallace instead of Bo Outlaw like they should have they would have ruled the East... nay the world.

warfelg
04-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Rick Barry, Johnny Johnson, Paul Pressey, John Havlicek, JuliusErving, Billy Cunningham and Micheal Ray Richardson played Point Forward.

Hell, Magic Johnson played point PF for a season, and Bill Walton was pretty much Blazers point Center.

Scottie Maurice Pippen much?

warfelg
04-11-2017, 08:53 PM
I've asked it before, why dont they just play one of these Point-Forwards at the 1 and just have the tallest/best switch team ever?

I think D-Lee answered me last time, something about it being a waste of resources or taxing them too much but man, if you could pull it off. Its a shame Grant Hill got hurt, Doc was gonna run a Tmac-Mike Miller-Hill perimeter trio. Had that team kept Ben Wallace instead of Bo Outlaw like they should have they would have ruled the East... nay the world.

Looks like Philly will do it next year.

Brett Brown said that Simmons (1) - Bayless (2) - Rock Cov (3) - Super Dario Bro (4) - The Process (5) is his ideal day 1 starting lineup.

That's 1 guy under 6'9" on the court FWIW.

Chronz
04-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Looks like Philly will do it next year.

Brett Brown said that Simmons (1) - Bayless (2) - Rock Cov (3) - Super Dario Bro (4) - The Process (5) is his ideal day 1 starting lineup.

That's 1 guy under 6'9" on the court FWIW.
Bayless kills it, he's basically going to be the nominal pg, pgs will just defend him and I'm sure he will too

warfelg
04-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Bayless kills it, he's basically going to be the nominal pg, pgs will just defend him and I'm sure he will too

Depends who we draft. If it's Smith or Fultz or Jackson I think they easily slide into that spot.

TheMightyHumph
04-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Scottie Maurice Pippen much?

Pippen, undoubtedly, but Jordan was a close second as the point.

Still, can NEVER forgive Scotty for refusing to enter the game in the Knicks '94 playoff series, and for dogging it with the Rockets.

Not a character guy.

Scoots
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM

The OP was talking about it being back in vogue not anything new ... I don't think he was looking for a list but rather a discussion of the trend.

TheMightyHumph
04-12-2017, 12:19 AM
The OP was talking about it being back in vogue not anything new ... I don't think he was looking for a list but rather a discussion of the trend.

Excuse me.

mrblisterdundee
04-12-2017, 01:03 AM
Today, it's not so much about being a point guard as it is being a ball-handler or playmaker. They come in all sizes, from point guard to center, and other teams have to adjust defensively.

ewing
04-12-2017, 06:17 AM
Excuse me.

you are not excused.

warfelg
04-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Today, it's not so much about being a point guard as it is being a ball-handler or playmaker. They come in all sizes, from point guard to center, and other teams have to adjust defensively.

I think there's a change at the youth levels to just let guys play no matter skillset and size. A guy like Simmons would never have been able to become a ball handler 10-15 years ago as a youth, they would have forced him to play with his back to the basket.

The eliminating of hand checks has opened it up more for these guys.

Scoots
04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Excuse me.

Now I feel bad.

LoveCaliFan
04-12-2017, 10:18 AM
If i was a coach i'd have a starting backcourt of Forwards that can handle the ball, create a play & shoot a consistent rate. For example, if lakers retain top 3 pick & trade for PG, while keeping Ingram.

Ingram/ Ennis
Jackson/ Nwamba
Ingram/ Brewer
Nance/ Deng
Zubac/ Black

This lineup gives you the ability to go small just by sliding everyone down and replacing Zubac with Ennis or Nwamba. This lineup would be intimidating to all teams in the league. 6'8+ starting backcourt that can guard guards, that indeed would be intimidating and could easily be top 5-10 defense. Yep, i'd want this type or a starting 5 of 6'7- 6'11 Versitile Forwards that all can bring ball down court, create, shoot a consistent shot and play defense inside & out. I think J.Kidd is heading in that direction...

Scoots
04-12-2017, 12:14 PM
If i was a coach i'd have a starting backcourt of Forwards that can handle the ball, create a play & shoot a consistent rate. For example, if lakers retain top 3 pick & trade for PG, while keeping Ingram.

Ingram/ Ennis
Jackson/ Nwamba
Ingram/ Brewer
Nance/ Deng
Zubac/ Black

This lineup gives you the ability to go small just by sliding everyone down and replacing Zubac with Ennis or Nwamba. This lineup would be intimidating to all teams in the league. 6'8+ starting backcourt that can guard guards, that indeed would be intimidating and could easily be top 5-10 defense. Yep, i'd want this type or a starting 5 of 6'7- 6'11 Versitile Forwards that all can bring ball down court, create, shoot a consistent shot and play defense inside & out. I think J.Kidd is heading in that direction...

Of course you'd want players "that all can bring ball down court, create, shoot a consistent shot and play defense inside & out." That's been true since day one. And it's not like taller players in the NBA is a new idea. The problem is finding players who can do it and work as a team. The Warriors don't even fit your definition ... Green and Iguodala are too short, KD too tall (And Curry's on the bench).