PDA

View Full Version : Do stats seem inflated?

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2017, 10:30 PM
For years now, whenever intergenerational comparisons come into play, people always dismiss the per-game averages of the hardwood classics like Wilt, Big O and Russell, pointing to the marathon games that had a ridiculous number of possessions and saw players posting, in the case of Wilt, over 48 minutes a game one season (and well over 40 a game for many players).

This current league, though, with the explosion or the 3-pt game, seems to speak to a new barrier to intergenerational comparisons. Increased possessions, and the addition of the 3-pt line, especially now that it is being exploited by a generation of players who grew up with this shot (keep in mind that this was a new feature for guys like Magic and Bird, and Jordan came into a league where coaches saw the 3-ball as a gimmick).

As these numbers inflated? Does a triple double from Westbrook mean more than Jordan's 30-8-8- season? Does Harden's averages trump the achievements of guys like Bird and Magic? Or is this just inferior (and I used that adjective with as much respect as possible) players in a league that makes posting impressive averages just a little bit easier?

More players posted 50-points games this season than ever. Is that because the players are better scorers? Or because the system allows them to do this? Or both?

In short, are all these record breaking achievements impressive? Or tainted some how? If records are falling left and right, does it make them less special? And does the context sully the achievements somehow?

I just want to conclude by saying that although I would voted for either Harden or Westy for MVP (Leonard gets my vote), I feel both are deserving, and both have achieved a level of play that I believe is historically good. I don't want to $#!t on what either of them have accomplished.

Thoughts?

ewing
04-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Stats are inflated mostly b/c ball handling guards have the deck stacked for them. I've said before on here Cleveland's Mark Price would put up monster numbers in the today league. He played the pick and roll better then anyone in the league and could shoot. Pace, increased 3 point shooting also help. So there is some inflation in comparison but eras are always different.

Chronz
04-09-2017, 10:46 PM
GM's + Coaches know the score and how to best utilize lineups in this freedom of movement era (KD+Bron playing more 4, let your best transition players spark the break with rebounding). And just as I say with Wilt and Oscars numbers, they aren't inflated, you just account for league averages see which players still stand out most.

All that said, Im sure we have some peaks and valleys outside of the norm, could be a result of a possible bell curve with a players level of production or just flukey. Even in Wilt's time there was only one 1962. Think it was when the triple double+50PPG+Peak Elgin/West were going on, the same year the guy with the most modest stats won MVP.

effen5
04-09-2017, 11:01 PM
No defense

Scoots
04-09-2017, 11:36 PM
No defense

I was going to say bad defense. The number of teams playing good or great defense has fallen lately. This year there are only 6 teams allowing below .450 FG%, last year it was 14 teams, the year before 15 teams. It's ebbs and flows of offense and defense. The defense tightens, the offense adjusts, now it's the defenses turn.

HandsOnTheWheel
04-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Yes.

Aust
04-10-2017, 12:55 AM
No defense

That's interesting. I vaguely recall seeing some info on social media not too long ago about how one of the early 2000's Laker teams being something like 21st in D and how they would be 1st or top 5 or w/e this season.